| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 639 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 26  Next
 Post subject: Re: Chloe's Kitchen
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:13 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i made the peanutty perfection noodles for dinner last night since we had to have a really quick dinner.
they were super easy to make and i thought they were good.

my husband thought they were just ok but he admits he's not big on peanut sauces on pasta so poo on him. i thought it needed a bit more of a kick but was otherwise yummy. im having leftovers cold today and i think they taste even better today.

im not sure what im using for "chili garlic sauce" is actually that. i have a thing of chili paste with Asian characters all over it and maybe the same rooster as the sriacha bottle and i use that. no idea if it's actually the right ingredient.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:25 pm 
Nailed to the V

Veglicious wrote:
masuphl wrote:
Has anyone made the Buckeyes? I don't remember seeing any comments about them in this thread. I started making them from her recipe but I could tell that the consistency wasn't right, so I changed it over to a different recipe. I had never made them before, but with her recipe there was no way they would form into balls. The only mistake I could've made is not letting the pb be at room temp. It's such a ridiculously simple recipe, how could it go wrong?? :)

Maybe it's to do with natural vs other PBs. I know I used a PB that was 90% peanuts once when a recipe called for natural and it didn't work because of the vegetable oil that is added to regular PB.

Thanks! I always buy Earth Balance pb. I will try them again with the freshly ground peanuts at Whole Foods.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:29 pm 
Nailed to the V

I made the Warm Spinach & Artichoke Dip using soft silken tofu because that was the only soft tofu I could find. I can't imagine that it made any difference. I sprinkled cheddar Daiya on the top. It was good, not earth-shattering or anything. I can see making it again because it was pretty easy and felt festive (made it for watching the Golden Globes) :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:33 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

LisaPunk wrote:
i made the peanutty perfection noodles for dinner last night since we had to have a really quick dinner.
they were super easy to make and i thought they were good.

my husband thought they were just ok but he admits he's not big on peanut sauces on pasta so poo on him. i thought it needed a bit more of a kick but was otherwise yummy. im having leftovers cold today and i think they taste even better today.

im not sure what im using for "chili garlic sauce" is actually that. i have a thing of chili paste with Asian characters all over it and maybe the same rooster as the sriacha bottle and i use that. no idea if it's actually the right ingredient.

I think either of those would be pretty close, or sambal oelek (no garlic though). There are little cans of stuff in the Asian section of regular grocery stores that say "chili garlic paste" on them though.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:44 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i think somewhere on there it does say "chili paste" in English so maybe i just dont have garlic in it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:39 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I think there's a Lee Kum Kee chilli-garlic paste too. I'm not sure about the US, but that stuff is in supermarkets here so it's pretty easy to come by. I usually just use sriracha though, since the amounts are always so small.

I'm cooking a bit from this book this week, since I was really keen on a lot of the recipes when I first got it but never got around to making a lot of them. I started off with the double-double burgers again though, at Boyfriend's request- he loves those things. I also made the salt and vinegar fries, which I liked a lot. It's a pretty simple recipe, but tasty. I made the full recipe as a side to the burgers and there's no way it would feed four people. I took a quarter of the batch (which was a tiny, tiny handful) and Boyfriend had the rest, and he still said he wanted a bigger serve. But maybe American 'large potatoes' are huge compared to ours or something.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:20 pm 
WRETCHED

LisaPunk wrote:

There are 2 options that I see, Sriracha or something that would be in a glass jar where you can see the seeds. I think either of those would be fine. Sriracha really isn't a paste though so if you use it, you might need a little bit more.

This is what I'm thinking:
http://www.thehotsaucestop.com/huy-fong ... lic-sauce/

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:03 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

linanil wrote:
LisaPunk wrote:

There are 2 options that I see, Sriracha or something that would be in a glass jar where you can see the seeds. I think either of those would be fine. Sriracha really isn't a paste though so if you use it, you might need a little bit more.

That's the same one we would use. We were out when we made that recipe though, so we subbed sriracha, which worked perfectly.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:13 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

lee kum kee definitely does have a chilli garlic paste that i used in this to delicious effect

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:31 am 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

Erinnerung wrote:
I think there's a Lee Kum Kee chilli-garlic paste too. I'm not sure about the US, but that stuff is in supermarkets here so it's pretty easy to come by. I usually just use sriracha though, since the amounts are always so small.

I'm cooking a bit from this book this week, since I was really keen on a lot of the recipes when I first got it but never got around to making a lot of them. I started off with the double-double burgers again though, at Boyfriend's request- he loves those things. I also made the salt and vinegar fries, which I liked a lot. It's a pretty simple recipe, but tasty. I made the full recipe as a side to the burgers and there's no way it would feed four people. I took a quarter of the batch (which was a tiny, tiny handful) and Boyfriend had the rest, and he still said he wanted a bigger serve. But maybe American 'large potatoes' are huge compared to ours or something.

I don't know what the potato landscape it like in Aus, but I know that what would be considered a large potato here in Europe is peanuts compared to some of the cultivars in North America, so that could be what's going on.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:01 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I think that's probably true here, too. I grabbed the biggest ones there, but they're probably American-smalls. This is why I like weight measurements!

I made the moo shu veggies and pancakes tonight, and it was a really good meal. Boyfriend doesn't care for mushrooms, so I threw in some edamame and bean sprouts to bulk it up a bit. Really tasty and satisfying, and fun to eat! I would be inclined to throw in some fresh chillies next time, but that's just our taste- regardless, I'll totally make this again.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:21 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

A large American potato could easily be half a pound to a full pound. There were some crazy big ones like the size of footballs that I saw in grocery stores around Thanksgiving.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:14 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

linanil wrote:
LisaPunk wrote:

wow i feel like a dummy because that looks EXACTLY like what i have but i never noticed the large words that say CHILI GARLIC SAUCE. ill have to look again tonight.

what a dumb dumb i am ;-)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:48 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

bodhi wrote:
Has anyone made the Sweet and Sour Meatballs from the appetizer section?

I just made them this evening, served over quickly sautéed soba noodles with celery, and a big pile of kimchi on top (for crunch, tang, and spice).

I was initially on the fence - really looking forward to a meaty bite in those little balls. And the flavor is REALLY good, actually - I think my downfall was the texture: it says to pulse all the contents of the meatballs till walnuts are small and it all "comes together". However, I ended up really having to purée it (more than pulse) to break down the tempeh and lentils, and get it all mixed right, and I think the texture suffered.

What I'd probably do in the future is crush the walnuts first, then throw in the tempeh/lentils, etc. Perhaps add just a teeny bit of Vegan Worcestershire (for a more meaty reference), and serve over rice (which I did not have, amazingly).

HOWEVER - my husband gave me the librarian "eyes over top of glasses" look (which means he truly hearts it) - and even better, my 11YO girl (who complained on Christmas morning, "You never really make anything good anymore" (since I became vegan 5 months ago)) said, "Mom, it's SOOO good - even the meatballs!" In fact, the yummiest part was the stuck-on crumbles after cooking the balls - YUM! Makes me want to roll them even smaller, for more crust-to-soft interior ratio. And her recipe calls for 42, but I yielded 45 (even after noshing on a few chunks, LOL - benefit of vegan cooking: nothing raw to worry about!)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:16 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I just saw Chloe is doing a weekly cooking show on YouTube, sometimes co-hosting with Roberto Martin (Ellen's chef). They're good production quality, which can't be said about a lot of YouTube cooking shows! Her recipes have all come from her cookbook -- I really want to make the falafel sliders and the double double now!

http://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLJI ... 5qHWcratev

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:07 am 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

creep wrote:
Bella Luna wrote:
creep wrote:
She's definitely not shy with the oil.

This is true. It is a great book for entertaining and impressing omnis. Not so great for me, since I'm trying to lose weight!

Just skimming through, it looks like you could reduce most of it, because she'll use a full 2 tablespoons just for sauteeing, which isn't really necessary.

Yeah I found this too, I just use my spray bottle for sauteeing and the like. I made the mushroom chimichurri tacos the other night. Really enjoyed them but I couldn't help but giggle at "say hola to these fresh, unique, and low-fat tacos" when the recipe has 4 tablespoons plus half a cup of oil (for the sauce)! Also it says 6 servings...but we got 6 tacos which fed the two of us for dinner.

Bella Luna wrote:
I made the creamy scalloped potatoes with thyme last night. Holy smokes, it was SO, SO good. So creamy and delicious...I really wasn't expecting it to be so scrumptious.

I really enjoyed this too. My sister wanted me to add cheese on top before she tasted it but it doesn't need it at all.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:16 am 
WRETCHED

Veglicious wrote:
Yeah I found this too, I just use my spray bottle for sauteeing and the like. I made the mushroom chimichurri tacos the other night. Really enjoyed them but I couldn't help but giggle at "say hola to these fresh, unique, and low-fat tacos" when the recipe has 4 tablespoons plus half a cup of oil (for the sauce)! Also it says 6 servings...but we got 6 tacos which fed the two of us for dinner.

I'd have to look at that recipe but it is probably comparative as the tacos that inspired the recipe generally have a lot more fat. I usually just put some oil in the pan without measuring when I sauté, I'd guess around 1 tbsp. one thing I tend to do when losing weight is cut out too much oil, there are definitely reasons to keep oil in your diet and not cut too much out.

I think I'm making the Mongolian beef tonight. It is my husbands birthday.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:26 am 
Nailed to the V

Quote:
my 11YO girl (who complained on Christmas morning, "You never really make anything good anymore" (since I became vegan 5 months ago)) said, "Mom, it's SOOO good - even the meatballs

I can so relate to this, VeganVamp! A week ago I made the East Coast Coffee Cake from Vegan Brunch and my 7 year old son hated it. He grumbled "You USED to be able to cook good." Fortunately he is coming around, getting used to a different style of cooking. Kids are such critics though.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:48 am 
WELFARIST!

Yeah, the falafel sliders are good. I did the plate where you serve them over rice rather than making the actual sliders. They were good. I've been too tired and busy with other things to make the apple cake yet, but I'll get on it by the weekend!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:22 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

couroupita wrote:
I just saw Chloe is doing a weekly cooking show on YouTube, sometimes co-hosting with Roberto Martin (Ellen's chef). They're good production quality, which can't be said about a lot of YouTube cooking shows! Her recipes have all come from her cookbook -- I really want to make the falafel sliders and the double double now!

MAKE THE FALAFEL SLIDERS!!! THEY ARE SO GOOD!!!
im addicted to them!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:37 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

couroupita wrote:

I want to make the spinach artichoke dip now! Also, I wish I had such a huge nooch container.

I liked all of the patty recipes that I made, but I think the Falafel one is my favourite. Also, I had the orange tofu a while ago and damn, that was yummy! The apple cake didn't turn out the way it was supposed to (it was too oily), but I don't know what went wrong.

I'm tempted to get Chloe's baking book, but I don't really bake that much and have like 3000 baking recipes I still want to try, so I don't know...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:30 pm 
WRETCHED

You guys are tempting me to make the apple cake but I'm sick. Maybe I'll make it this weekend or possibly whenever we visit the inlaws.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:32 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I made the apple cake a few days ago. It was really good and really sweet. I might just leave off the glaze next time as it was so sweet I could only eat a little a time. Though that is probably a good thing. I liked it and would make this again, but not my favorite.

Tonight I'm making the Straw and Hay pasta with the mushrooms and peas. Though to me the picture in the book is just screaming for greens. So I'm planning on adding a bunch of kale.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:45 pm 
WRETCHED

Yeah, we don't do icing so if I made it, I wouldn't add the icing.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:58 pm 
WRETCHED

Ok, I made the apple cake and Mongolian beef. My husband loved both. He said the apple cake was probably the best apple bread/cake that he has ever eaten.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 639 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 26  Next