| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Wild about Greens by Nava Atlas
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:50 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

well i went ahead and ordered the book. bn.com has it discounted at 48% off and i had a 20% off coupon code to use, so i got the book for $11.01 and shipped for free since i'm a member.

i definitely don't eat enough greens (i eat boring salads with either romaine, green leaf, or spinach) so i think nava's intro with all the info about different greens and all the recipes make this a good cookbook to add to my collection. other recipes by nava that i've made have always been tasty so i think the recipes in this book will be tasty as well :)

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:10 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I have this book out from the library -- right up my alley as I love greens but am not too creative in my use of them. Just paging through, pretty much everything sounds like something I would like, so maybe I'll end up buying a copy. I made the cumin-roasted cauliflower and kale tonight, and am planning to make the curried sweet potatoes with chard and chickpeas tomorrow. The lemon tahini sauce is on my list too.

Any recommendations would be appreciated!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:45 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I've had this a while but only got round to making anything this evening. I made the pasta with greens, olives and chickpeas, using wholewheat pasta spirals, and greens. It didn't absolutely blow my mind, but it was very quick and tasty and made for a very good solid midweek meal, with leftovers for lunch.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:23 pm 
Chard Martyr

I am not currently wild about greens so perhaps I need this book. I used to be wild about a huge mound of sauteed greens (kales, chards, spinach, escarole, beet greens, you name it!) with garlic, chili flakes, and lemon, but for some reason they're now a chore to get down. I do throw them in soups and curries a lot but that's out of necessity (CSA brings us greens and we should be eating greens) rather than inspiration. Yesterday I had to choke down some sauteed bok choy because I know my body needs it, but it didn't make me happy.

Are the ideas pretty creative? That's something I don't always see in Atlas' books.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:36 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I think there might be enough in this book to inspire you, but I'm not sure if there is anything whizz-bang exciting if you are feeling lukewarm about greens and already incorporating them into your meals. Probably a quick look at the index and table of contents would give you a good idea of what's in the book, as most of the recipes are pretty simple.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:59 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

agreed, the concept of the cookbook was good, but i wasn't wowed by any of the recipes. i ended up returning my copy.
i have another veg cookbook that has some pasta + greens recipes that is working for me. and when i'm making a home cookin' style meal, i often make turnip greens as a side dish. and i often use cabbage or bok choy in asian recipes, so i feel that i'm getting my greens on without necessarily needing a specific cookbook about it.

i still really like nava atlas and her other cookbooks, this one just wasn't for me.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:08 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I do feel like there are more interesting dishes out there in other cookbooks. This one is just kind of... decent recipe, toss in some greens. Nothing particularly interesting or inventive. I've only made a couple things, because I just can't get into it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:12 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

exactly.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:56 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I just made the curried sweet potatoes with chard and chickpeas -- yummy and filling for a one-pot meal, and it was really easy to put together. The raisins are awesome!

I also made the lemon tahini sauce and had some over a bowl with steamed kale, kidney beans, and Thai red rice for lunch today -- it was good but not great, but I sort of messed it up as my lemon produced like 1/2 cup of juice. I should have measured out a tablespoon of that or however much you would get from a normal Earth lemon, because the sauce was pretty thin and not creamy.

This book is certainly inspiring to me, but I have been struggling to eat greens in any way other than steamed or kale chips. My guess is the average ppker is a bit more creative and adventurous and might find this book a bit basic and boring, though. Given my success with this book so far, I pretty much want to try everything from it. I'll probably end up buying a copy of this book once my renewals are up on my library one.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:34 pm 
Inflexitarian

if anybody is interested in purchasing this book send a pm.
i'm selling an unused brand new copy for $7 and the price includes postage!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:11 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

I just received a copy of this book the other day, and last night we had the Quinoa with Kale, Sweet Potatoes & Pecans (except I left out the pecans due to my kids' severe nut allergies). It was gorgeous to look at, easy to make, and tasted great! Even my picky kids liked it. I think tonight I'm going to make Curried Sweet Potatoes with Chard and Chickpeas. I like that all her recipes appear simple to make, with minimal fuss.

I'm feeling inspired by this book...it's got a lot of good ideas that are easy to pull together. Especially for greens I'm intimidated by...I've long been a kale and collard fan, but I've always been intimidated by turnip greens, mustard greens, dandelion greens, etc. So I'm excited by the prospects of expanding my "greens" repetoire. I'm also not into green smoothies, but I think I'm going to try some of her smoothies. I also appreciate her candid discussion of comparing juicing to making smoothies.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:55 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

For lunch today, I made the smoky potatoes and turnip greens. My turnip greens were ridiculously huge! Is this normal? They were nearly the length of my arm. Anyway, this was pretty easy to put together and turned out pretty tasty. I didn't have any sun dried tomatoes, so I crushed a few canned fire roasted tomatoes, which seemed to go well with the smoky theme. You could add some beans for a more complete one-pot meal - maybe black eyed peas or some creamy cannelini beans?

One thing I would really appreciate from these recipes is a suggestion if how much salt to use. I know tastes vary greatly, but I feel like my saltiness preferences are pretty middle of the road and I often under season with a relatively large dish like this (it filled my 3 quart pan to the brim). I added a little under a teaspoon of salt, and it wasn't enough. I also added some crushed red pepper flakes rather than the cayenne suggested, but probably could had added more.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:17 pm 
Nailed to the V

I got this book for Christmas but haven't made anything yet. I know *nothing* about greens. Grew up on iceburg lettuce. These days I make kale chips and that's about it. I need the most basic of info for sure.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:12 pm 
Inflexitarian

the book mentioned above has been sold.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:46 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I made the collard ribbons with spaghetti squash... except I used kale instead of collards. Doubled the spices and still found this rather bland.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:09 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

saveur wrote:
I made the collard ribbons with spaghetti squash... except I used kale instead of collards. Doubled the spices and still found this rather bland.

Leftovers were much better, thank goodness.

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2