| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: cat's eye
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:30 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

My cat has a corneal laceration. He sees the opthamologist on Tuesday. I am very worried about his eye. The vet said it might be serious. He is my beautiful, gorgeous baby of a cat. He also has big, beautiful eyes, but I can't find any pictures with his eyes open because he is such a cuddle bug.

Post subject: Re: cat's eye
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:32 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

So sorry! Hope you get good news on Tuesday.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:39 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Thanks. I have no idea what caused it either. I am going to assume either he scratched it or our other cat scratched it, but there was absolutely no drama today and they are indoor cats. They are brother and sister and usually get along great, but every once in a they have a mini fight (a few seconds of furball), but there was none of that today.

Poor Pupucito!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:20 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Aww, poor kitty. I hope the opthamologist has good news!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:54 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Oh, it turns out it is cat herpes (?!?!?!). Apparently since he was a feral kitten prior to his adoption, he might have had herpes which went dormant and came back. Poor thing. We have his sister and there are two other sets of two from the same litter out there (all adopted from the vet who found them in her backyard and got them healthy). Apparently this is supposed to be better than what she thought it was, but it still sounds scary, I mean, it can come back and our other cat can get it too. But apparently his eye is doing better and he can take the cone off now. Poor baby. Anyone have any experience with cat herpes? I am really surprised by this because he was very tiny when we got him, and I knew he had a history of being feral, but I kind of thought that just meant fleas.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:34 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I've taken care of a cat with herpes. She needed eye drops every day when her eyes flared up, but other than that was fine. I think she was about 14 when I knew her. She was kept away from other cats, though, because of the risk of contagion.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:37 pm 
Thinks chickens are assholes

Poor baby! Glad to hear the news is a bit better!

That photo is adorable <3

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:57 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Oh yeah, one of my cats gets this too. When it flares he gets antiviral drops or ointment as well as an antibiotic ointment to prevent infection in any cornea ulcers until it clears up. Usually takes a couple of weeks and then everything is right as rain. His flares under stress or about once every year or two for the last 9 years. Just catch it fast and start the eye meds and its pretty straight forward. If you delay treatment they can get scarring on the cornea though, so quick detection is key.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:10 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

rohai wrote:
Just catch it fast and start the eye meds and its pretty straight forward. If you delay treatment they can get scarring on the cornea though, so quick detection is key.

Oh, gosh, that's good to know. Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:16 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

fezza wrote:
That photo is adorable <3

Aw, thanks. That is definitely one of my favorite pictures and probably the best picture I have of him. He is really interested in our baby. He used to like to cuddle him when he wasn't as grabby, then he went through a phase where he didn't want to be around him much, and now he is kind of exploring him more and making him pet him. He is very "aggressive" about getting pets when he wants them - he will force his head under your hand, even if you are trying to do something else - like type or use a computer mouse. It is really cute. I'm glad the vet said it wasn't contagious for humans (the cat herpes) because that would be really scary with the baby. I hope it isn't contagious for dogs. I am guessing not - we have two!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:34 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Nope, it's only contagious to cats. It's technical name is rhinotracheitis and its part of the annual "feline distemper" (FVRCP) vaccine. The vaccine can lessen the severity in cats already infected, but cannot reverse it. Your vet will be well versed in this and can advise you as to what is appropriate for your fuzzy family member. One other tip, the antiviral and antibiotic keep my cat squinty during the entire treatment, so err to the side of caution for treatment duration.

He is very handsome.