| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Most moisturizing soap and/or body wash EVER?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:43 am 
Emotionally Allergic to Dairy

I need a really, really moisturizing soap or body wash.

In winter, it's normal for me to get slightly dry skin. But this year, my legs and feet have been getting SO DRY that I'm getting cracked skin, bleeding, itching, etc. My legs and feet look HORRIBLE, to the point that I refuse to wear skirts or dresses, or even shoes that show the top of my feet and/or ankles because of all the scabs and marks and how ashy my skin is. I feel terrible and I look terrible and it's really getting in the way of things. Lotion alone is not cutting it. I need some seriously moisturizing soap or body wash.

I'm going to try just talking to the salespeople at Lush to see what they say, but I want to try other brands too. Do you have a soap or body wash that leaves your skin feeling soft and moisturized?

Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

Post subject: Re: Most moisturizing soap and/or body wash EVER?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:49 am 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

I am the same way. The best thing I've found is using coconut oil and jojoba. The worst is my scalp, I can't figure out how to moisturize without getting greasy hair. I've never, ever found a soap or body wash to be moisturizing even if they say they do. I just make sure to moisturize right out of the shower and reapply through the day. Sometime I'll wear a robe doing my makeup and then put on a second layer before getting dressed.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:51 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I don't think any soap is really moisturising, but I find that cold-processed olive oil soap is the least drying for me. I think the most important thing is to wash as little as you can, and moisturise a lot. Just wash the bits that get stinky most days, you don't need to shower as often as most people do. Oil is good, doesn't need to be a fancy 'body oil'. Oil first, wait for it to sink in, apply body butter or some other cream. Put a lot of oil on in the evening and wear socks to bed.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:50 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I like Lush's soap of sultana; maybe you can check that one out when you go to the Lush store. Recently I've just been using the generic brand of Cetaphil liquid soap. I think it's for the face, but whatevs, it's super mild and that's what you need in winter! I also use it for shaving.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:14 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

What about a castile soap, since it's oil-based?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:47 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

Method has body washes that make me feel soft all over! Usually scented stuff makes me feel even drier but not the Method washes!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:55 am 
Impressive boner

Aqueous cream.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:57 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Ro's Argan from LUSH is super moisturizing and smells great.

So embarrassing!" -just mumbles

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:23 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

8ball wrote:
Aqueous cream.
Yup.

creep wrote:
All soap is oil/fat-based! To make soap, you mix a fat with a base. Anything else is just bells and whistles. For the least abrasive kind of soap, you want one that is as near to pH neutral as possible (actually, castille soap is a good choice as it tends to have a little less alkali solution). Avoid high-glycerine soaps, too. In dry weather, they can actually dry your skin out more by drawing water out of your skin (whereas in humid weather they take moisture from the air and your skin absorbs it).

My mother went through a soap-making phase when I was younger...

If you have very sore skin, avoid soap altogether and use an aqueous cream as you would use soap. It's used for chronic eczema. Oat milk is a good skin-calming ointment; fill a clean sock or stocking with porridge oats, dip it in warm water and massage the oat cream onto your skin with it like a sponge. It's magic. Seriously. If I didn't know better, I would assume it was made of ground up wizards to something.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:01 am 
Naked Under Apron

for me, i don't soap up my legs and arms and such when i bathe/shower. sounds kinda weird, but i have dry skin as well. i make sure to get the important bits (armpitties, my lady parts, feets & booty), but the soap/shower gel will rinse over my arms and legs (and i use a washcloth on my arms and stomach and back and such so there's some gentle exfoliation go'n on!).

i'm another fan of jojoba oil. and cooler showers. as soon as i step out of the shower BEFORE i towel off i kinda wipe off the excess water then i immediately slather myself in jojoba oil - it goes on easier when my skin's kinda damp. i also make sure to drink TONS of water throughout the day. i once heard "your skin needs a lot of water and it's the last organ to actually receive water." so make sure you're drinking enough water and fluids, too!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:19 pm 
Emotionally Allergic to Dairy

Thanks!

As is, I'm not doing a lot of washing, unless I've had a high sweat day (I do the same with just washing the major bits and then letting the soap or body wash cascade over the rest as I rinse), but I'm still in bad shape. I thought maybe if I did something more moisturizing it would help, but maybe not. I'll try some of these tricks, thank you!!

Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:41 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

Forgive me if these suggestions have already been given (I only quickly read the thread above):
- Not using any soap except on crotch and armpits
- Getting one of the Buffy Body Butter bars from Lush. You put it on in the shower (away from the water, otherwise it'll melt so quickly), the nubbly bits in it scrub away dead skin and the shea butter locks in moisture
- Drinking LOTS of water, hydrating from the inside out

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:42 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

So coconut oil won't moisturize your skin only prevent the fluid that's inside of your skin from escaping, so if you are super dry layer it with a lotion or body butter.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:42 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

For whatever reason my legs and feet have been really flaky this winter too. I'm not sure how bad your situation is, but for me the best course of action has been to exfoliate the crepe out of my legs in the shower at least once a week and of course apply serious moisturizer afterwards. Not sure if you're getting cracked skin everywhere or just on your feet, but it's worth trying anywhere that's rough/dry without broken skin. If you're at the stage where everything is cracked I would do what a couple of the others have suggested and try the aqueous cream.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:01 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

creep wrote:
All soap is oil/fat-based! To make soap, you mix a fat with a base. Anything else is just bells and whistles.[/quote]
i think she was talking about body wash, since it's a detergent, not soap.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:15 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I don't know what I'm talking about! I use Dr. Bronners as a body wash.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:03 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

fupapack wrote:
I am the same way. The best thing I've found is using coconut oil and jojoba. The worst is my scalp, I can't figure out how to moisturize without getting greasy hair. I've never, ever found a soap or body wash to be moisturizing even if they say they do. I just make sure to moisturize right out of the shower and reapply through the day. Sometime I'll wear a robe doing my makeup and then put on a second layer before getting dressed.

I use jojoba oil on my face and it's a great moisturizer. Sometimes I mix a few drops with moisturizer or I apply it straight if my skin is really dry (all facial soap seems to dry out my oily skin).

My scalp gets dry in the winter and I use coconut oil to help moisturize it. I heat up coconut oil until it's about skin temp. Then I rub it into my scalp and leave it on for half an hour to an hour, not sure if it's really necessary to leave it in that long. I quickly shampoo my hair, then rub a moisturizing conditioner into my scalp and all over my hair, let it stay in for a couple of minutes, and wash out. It's kind of a long process but it works for me.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:31 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Favorite non-drying soaps/body washes:
Kiss My Face Olive Oil Soap
Everyday Shea & Everyday Coconut Body Washes

I also keep a bottle of oil in the shower (right now it's a mix of avocado, almond, and Vitamin E) and moisturize my arms and legs when they are wet before I get out of the shower.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:42 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Another vote for aqueous cream. Also, if none of these things are working, I would consider going to see your doctor. Cracked and bleeding dry skin can easily become infected, and then it can spread like wildfire.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:30 am 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

I've been using the products from Evan's Garden, they are amazing. I used to have really dry skin after showering and none of the normal lotions would do anything.
Now I shower using this body wash http://www.evansgarden.com/Body-Wash.html, and I don't need lotion anymore.

(note: not all her products are vegan, she uses beeswax in some lotions. But the body wash is vegan)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:50 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Anek wrote:
I've been using the products from Evan's Garden, they are amazing. I used to have really dry skin after showering and none of the normal lotions would do anything.
Now I shower using this body wash http://www.evansgarden.com/Body-Wash.html, and I don't need lotion anymore.

(note: not all her products are vegan, she uses beeswax in some lotions. But the body wash is vegan)

I like Evan's Garden products but i got turned off by ordering from her because she really seems to keep after you to keep ordering more stuff, sending emails and the like. I guess some people probably like that personal touch but it's made me feel like I can't use her stuff without being hassled a bit too much. Sucks cause there are some things i would like to order again, it has been a few years so maybe I'll give it another chance.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:56 am 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

That's true, however I never get more than 2 emails per year from her, I can live with that. Also, I usually order huge amounts because of the pain of international shipping and customs, so it lasts me a while. I just answer her back that I'm set for the next 8 months, and she leaves me alone.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:00 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

yeah I should just tell her I'm all set, my problem is I'm too polite and then I end up bisqueing about it. Her products are lovely though.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:49 am 
Semen Strong

The oat thing sounds great Gulliver! We do a colloidal oatmeal soak for L when she is itchy and it makes your skin feel great.

She and I don't use soap, but our skin is still crazy dry. I slather her in coconut oil and that takes care of some of it, but I'm interested in trying some of these alternatives.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]