| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4369 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61 ... 175  Next
 Post subject: Re: Who challenges your feminism in your life?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:22 pm 
Impressive boner

Tofulish wrote:
8Ball, I think its brilliant that you didn't post a link. I hate to feed horrible trolls.

I couldn't bring myself to post it. She presented sexism and women's issues as some sort of privilege for 'real' women. My head hurts just thinking about it. Gah!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:13 am 
Naked Under Apron

8ball wrote:
Julie Burchill has just made me hang my head in shame at being a cis woman with her transphobic rant on The Observer's website. Her vile piece of 'journalism' is tantamount to hate speech. I sincerely hope it's pulled from the site asap.

Yes, yes, fork yes. She is vile.

Mat.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:10 am 
Impressive boner

People have made complaints about it to the Met as a hate crime.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:13 pm 
Naked Under Apron

Thank God, it is completely shameful.

Mind you, I have always found her to be arseholian.

Mat.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:11 pm 
Mediocre Tart

I found Dorian Lynskey's blog on the matter to be well thought : http://33revolutionsperminute.wordpress ... ultimatum/

"I will take a drugged, sex-crazed, punk rock commie over Mrs. Thatch any day of the week" - Vantine

"I just finished building my Irn Bru cellar!" - Steffers!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:01 pm 
Mediocre Tart

8ball wrote:
I sincerely hope it's pulled from the site asap.

It has been pulled now... and subsequently been reblogged in the Torygraph with some typical blowhard shiitake from Toby Young. Of course.

For what it's worth, while I don't agree with everything she had to say, Stella Duffy had some interesting things to say across a couple of blogposts. And the debate that ensued is one of the calmest I've read on the Internet.

"I will take a drugged, sex-crazed, punk rock commie over Mrs. Thatch any day of the week" - Vantine

"I just finished building my Irn Bru cellar!" - Steffers!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:25 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Just the words Toby and Young together in the same sentence need to go in the "What was the worst thing about your day?" thread.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:58 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

The guy behind Return of Kings and RooshV. What a kumquat.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:26 am 
WELFARIST!

They had something called "Man Code" or something like that on in the breakroom at work last night. All of that show and everyone on it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:58 am 
Baking In The Flavor

Has anyone else in the UK seen Gok's style secrets? It's absolutely awful (yet I can't seem to tear myself away because he's one of those people I love to hate). Essentially what happens every episode is a single woman is taught how to dress and act to catch men because being single is a huge tragedy and single people are obviously deeply flawed individuals in desparate need of help. To make them more "attractive" he strips them of any of their own personality and basically tells them to get their tits out (*holds up high necked dress* "you wore this on a date?! it doesn't show any skin, you need to get some flesh out, show off your clevage, men love big boobs!").

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:41 pm 
WELFARIST!

Horror movies. I'm a huge horror movie fan but I can't forking stand the role of women in horror. I've been wanting to watch V/H/S for a while and I watched the first two minutes and had to turn it off because I was sick.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:03 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

Mr. Shankly wrote:
Horror movies. I'm a huge horror movie fan but I can't forking stand the role of women in horror. I've been wanting to watch V/H/S for a while and I watched the first two minutes and had to turn it off because I was sick.

Yeah, I know I thought that scene was really disturbing too. I did finish the movie, and I will say they get there just desserts. I am not sure if showing acts like this against women in film and then having the perpetrators horribly repaid is a social deterrent ....cathartic? Or if showing those kind of acts perpetuates it or desensitizes us to it. There is a fine line to be walked.

I really like horror movies, I should qualify that-old school, monster kinda films. But you find some film makers take a lot of liberties in the, how to make a woman a victim category, and do horrible things to her. Some people approach their horror film love in a, I need to see something more and more horrific, kinda way. And yeah that's an issue. Some people can't separate reality from fiction, or maybe they don't want to. I think the best horror film makers are dealing with bigger issues, social injustice, sexism...some subtle, others overtly. I think they commenting on it. You are dealing with big concepts in these films, so large brush strokes, love-death-heaven-hell-zombies. Some people do seem to make movies with some greasy, antediluvian-minded, perv, clearly planted behind their wheel, but you don't need to make a horror film to do that. (see: any Michael Bay film)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:10 pm 
WELFARIST!

Another thing that I really hate in the horror niche is when reviewers rate a movie on skin. As in, how much naked women scenes there are. Movies that have low skin ratings will have a lower movie rating. So degrading, so unnecessary and so immature.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:08 am 
Semen Strong

Bill Clinton is now this respected elder statesman, but Monica Lewinsky has never managed to get a real career started. She is still the butt of jokes decades later.

We really don't let women move on from sex scandals like we do men. We just keep punishing them.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:03 am 
WELFARIST!

There's a few guys that do this thing at work where a female will walk in and they'll nod to each other whether or not they think she's hot. It's so gross and so demeaning. I told one of them right to their face the other day that is was absolutely disgusting what he was doing. So gross.

Then all this guy talks about is women and who thinks is hot and how "guys act like this" and "girls act like that." Shut uppppppppppp!!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:46 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I do classroom technical support. Usually by the time the teacher has called me they have already tried to figure out how to solve the problem with their students. Often once I start the students start yelling at me to "change the monitors resolution" or whatever. It used to annoy me because it throws me off of my troubleshooting game and I obviously I know a lot more about our systems than these students, I have done this professionally for over 10 years but I've learned to just completely ignore them. It just occurred to me today that I never once have had a female student yell at me.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:25 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

A male acquaintance told me once. "With women its like this: Intelligent, Beautiful, Sane. Pick two. You can't be all 3. Pick two."

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:30 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Tofulish wrote:
Bill Clinton is now this respected elder statesman, but Monica Lewinsky has never managed to get a real career started. She is still the butt of jokes decades later.

We really don't let women move on from sex scandals like we do men. We just keep punishing them.

at my temple when I was a kid two rabbis had an affair. I believe they were both married and whole temple/school rallied to fire her, but not him! i remember in class (i went to the day school) we were supposed to write a letter to the board saying how much we liked the male rabbi and how he shouldn't get fired. my mom wouldn't let me participate in that. now that I think about it, that was a pretty great lesson my mom taught me.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:07 am 
WRETCHED

I don't know all the details so I'm wary about saying much but a similar thing happened at a company I know not too long ago where the man was an executive, woman was a subordinate. Man got fired, presumably woman did too (no longer at company). Man was given millions of dollars (not much of a firing) because he probably had the resources to sue the company but he will also probably be picked up by a different company. Woman? Who knows what will happen to her but the economy is tough.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:21 pm 
Impressive boner

Women challenge my feminism, when they belittle other women in some sort of point scoring activity.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:40 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

I just got back from vacation, and while on it, my SO and I visited his friends one night. One of the first things the woman says to me is (after chatting about the music she and her husband are doing, no less!), "Girls don't really play instruments. Seriously, no girls are actually good at playing anything. Girlfriends play the tambourine, but that's, like, it. Don't you agree, missdelaney?"

To this moment, I can't believe I didn't cuss her out and leave the apartment. I said, "No. I'm a real musician. And I know a fuckton of fantastic female musicians. More than I know male, actually."

The Oxford Imposition: http://theoxfordimposition.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:49 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Women in my psychology class talking about how beneficial patriarchy is for them personally as wives and girlfriends of strong men who take care of them. Sip the kool-aid and to hell with the women who suffer.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:07 am 
WELFARIST!

Shy Mox wrote:
Women in my psychology class talking about how beneficial patriarchy is for them personally as wives and girlfriends of strong men who take care of them. Sip the kool-aid and to hell with the women who suffer.

What???

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:16 am 
Semen Strong

The patriarchy is tangentially aligned with you when your interests are aligned with a male's (esp a white male's). Its called borrowed privilege. But the minute your interests aren't aligned- like if you're trying to get divorced or protected from a spouse, then the patriarchy will turn and bite you in the asparagus.

I hate that we have a whole culture calling women getting divorces gold diggers etc, for just wanting a modicum of support for themselves and their kids. While in reality, on average a man's income goes up after a divorce and a woman's goes down.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:19 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

The patriarchy also gives you cookies, if you're a good girl.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4369 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61 ... 175  Next