| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2992 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104 ... 120  Next
 Post subject: Re: Appetite for Reduction
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:50 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

beethecookie wrote:
Okay, I finally made the Arabian Lentil Soup I've heard so much about. I am happy to report that it does, in fact, live up to its reputation! So easy, so comforting, so delicious, so filling! My house smells so amazing right now, even several hours after it cooked. I think I'm in love!

Heehee, I did the same exact thing tonight thanks to this thread. So delicious, and I was skeptical because of how simple it is to make. I should know by now the ppk will never steer me wrong!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:30 pm 
Nailed to the V

couroupita wrote:
beethecookie wrote:
Okay, I finally made the Arabian Lentil Soup I've heard so much about. I am happy to report that it does, in fact, live up to its reputation! So easy, so comforting, so delicious, so filling! My house smells so amazing right now, even several hours after it cooked. I think I'm in love!

Heehee, I did the same exact thing tonight thanks to this thread. So delicious, and I was skeptical because of how simple it is to make. I should know by now the ppk will never steer me wrong!

Hey, dinner twins! I know what you mean about the skepticism. I kept wanting to add things to it while preparing it but I fought the urge. I really wanted to try this in its pure, untampered form and I'm so glad I did!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:40 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I made the smokey split pea soup yesterday. It is lovely. I have a bit of a split pea fetish lately.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:14 am 
Nailed to the V

There's a pity party at my house! I just tried to renew my AFR copy from the library online and it turns out there's a hold on it. So that means I have to return it today, just when I was really starting to get into it! Maybe I should take this as a sign and just buy the darn thing already...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:17 am 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

I made the lasagna with cauliflower ricotta and spinach, it was really really good! But I need to add more sauce, it ended up a bit dry for my taste.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:05 am 
WRETCHED

I made Mac & Trees, Buffalo Tempeh and Cool Slaw yesterday. I've made the Cool Slaw a ton of times but this was the first time for Mac & Trees and Buffalo Tempeh.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:42 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

beethecookie wrote:
There's a pity party at my house! I just tried to renew my AFR copy from the library online and it turns out there's a hold on it. So that means I have to return it today, just when I was really starting to get into it! Maybe I should take this as a sign and just buy the darn thing already...

If you can think of at least 5 recipes that you will make again and again, I would buy it. That seems like a good value.

There are like 25 recipes in that book that I make all the time. Love that book. Probably my most used cookbook.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:21 pm 
Nailed to the V

Chicki, AFR is definitely on the list of cookbooks I must own eventually. But now that I've had it at my house for a few weeks and have had the chance to try a few things, it's been bumped to the top of the list. I'm waiting for some Amazon gift cards to come through for me, thanks to some old omni cookbooks that I was able to trade in. Once that clears, I'm totally getting this book!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:41 am 
Huffs Nooch

I heeded your rave reviews and made the Arabian Lentil Soup; first time I've cooked with red lentils. It's ridiculously good! I ate two good-sized bowls for dinner. It might be a long time before I make regular split pea soup again.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:06 am 
Nailed to the V

That Arabian Soup did not last long at my house. There was like half a container left in my fridge and my husband managed to polish it all off the other night by himself! I got mad at him when I realized there was none left for me.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:08 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

Chipotle lentil burgers - SO YUM! The recipe made a ton (10 medium-small patties). I didn't need to alter the recipe except for the chipotles, which I have never seen sold where I live, only chipotle hot sauce. So I used the sauce to taste instead. And I probably used more oil for the frying than advised, otherwise they would've stuck more to the pan and broken apart. They ended up keeping good form and tasted great!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:33 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

I made the refried beans for the first time yesterday, and it was awesome. A little crunchy though, I hasted through the coriander-crushing bit. Also I subbed tomato paste + water + garlic powder + onion powder + sugar for the tomato sauce. And perhaps the proportions were a little off because I used two cups of (black) beans and ~3/4 of the seasonings/tomato mixture. But it turned out great.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:04 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I've got the pasta salad for work lunches this week. I was never that big on pasta salad (it's just cold pasta!), but I'm really enjoying this one! It'll definitely go into the rotation.

I also made the buffalo tempeh over the weekend, and put it on a pizza. Thumbs up.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:00 am 
Huffs Nooch

Oh, the buffalo tempeh recipe is one of my favorites. Hard to believe so few ingredients can add up to so much yum; bet it was really good on pizza!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:37 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Buffalo tempeh pizza?! That sounds like perfection!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:08 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

hi y'all. i plan to make the bistro broccoli chowder soon. i'm allergic to peanuts + all nuts so i bought unsweetened soy milk instead of unsweetened almond milk. however, once i tried chocolate eden soy milk and i wasn't crazy about it, was wasn't chocolate-y or sweet enough for me. what are y'alls opinions on eden's unsweetened soy milk? the only ingredients are water and soybeans. is it going to add good taste to the chowder? i saw another brand, west soy, i think, but i opted for eden since i'm familiar with their brand name and other products and also because it was a bit cheaper. i also think i've seen unsweetened soy milk at trader joe's but i won't be going there anytime soon.

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:14 pm 
Chip Strong

Making the Arabian lentil soup tonight since I've seen so many rave reviews! I think I will make a socca to go alongside it. Should be a warm and cozy dinner for this dreary cold day.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:46 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

bookwormbethie wrote:
hi y'all. i plan to make the bistro broccoli chowder soon. i'm allergic to peanuts + all nuts so i bought unsweetened soy milk instead of unsweetened almond milk. however, once i tried chocolate eden soy milk and i wasn't crazy about it, was wasn't chocolate-y or sweet enough for me. what are y'alls opinions on eden's unsweetened soy milk? the only ingredients are water and soybeans. is it going to add good taste to the chowder? i saw another brand, west soy, i think, but i opted for eden since i'm familiar with their brand name and other products and also because it was a bit cheaper. i also think i've seen unsweetened soy milk at trader joe's but i won't be going there anytime soon.

i think i used unsweetened plain silk when i made the recipe because that's what i had on hand. the use of almond milk in the recipe probably has more to do with personal preference and calories, since almond milk is usually very low in calories. the soymilk might also be a tiny bit thicker, which i didn't mind. i thought it tasted great with soymilk.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:40 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I just tried out the lasagna with caulifower with spinach, and the veggie chili with the corn & scallion cornbread on the side, and I was majorly impressed with all three recipes. Arabian lentil soup is my all time favorite from this book, with smoky split pea soup a close second!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:56 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Hardcastle McCormick wrote:
bookwormbethie wrote:

i think i used unsweetened plain silk when i made the recipe because that's what i had on hand. the use of almond milk in the recipe probably has more to do with personal preference and calories, since almond milk is usually very low in calories. the soymilk might also be a tiny bit thicker, which i didn't mind. i thought it tasted great with soymilk.

I just made this over the weekend! I think that unsweetened soy milk will be fine. There's only 1c in the recipe, and it's really not that much when you factor in the other ingredients, so use what you like.

When I buy soy milk (mostly for baking and cooking) I get Westsoy Organic Unsweetened. It's always worked really well for me.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:11 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

thanks for the tip about westsoy. i'm pretty sure the ingredients for unsweetened soy milk were identical for west soy and eden. however the eden plain organic soymilk had some ingredients in in that my brand of choice soy milk does not!

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:52 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Made the hottie black eyed peas and ginger mashed sweet potatoes. We ate the BEPs over quinoa and it was perfect. I used yams instead of sweet potatoes and then I remembered I don't like yams. They're kind of acidic! But everything tasted great together.

I've been eating leftovers of Arabian lentil stew with this habanero hot sauce I picked up at Food Fight. Oh man, is that good.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:41 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I love the hottie black eyed peas! It's such a simple recipe, but it turns out fantastic!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:40 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I bought all the stuff for the stew with the rutabega, parsnips, carrots, brussel sprouts and now it is all just sitting in my fridge because I can't get up the energy to do all that chopping. I need some of those elves who usually repair shoes overnight to come and chop all my veggies for me tonight while I slumber.
I made the chipotle lentil burgers again - they were good, but I ended up having such a time with them sticking to the pan that I put them in the oven for 20 minutes to finish "cooking". the first time I made them I was ambitious and fired up the grill and oh boy that grilled flavor was awesome!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:22 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I managed to persuade an omni to buy this today at work. As I left her office she had Visa in her hand.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2992 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104 ... 120  Next