| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 591 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: What did you make for your baby/toddler to eat today?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:28 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Ada liked the 40 cloves garlic thing the last time I made it too. She actually ate a few bites of broccoli which she never does. She also really likes the Arabian lentil rice soup. I haven't made much out of there lately though.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:42 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I cook from AFR all the time and she usually likes it. Tonight we had the hoisin mustard tofu (not wrapped in lettuce, but over millet) and she loves that. The good thing about that one is that you can reserve plain cooked tofu for the baby before you add the sauce. babynut likes it plain and with the sauce. Also tempeh helper, everyday chickpea salad, and the pinto bean Brussels sprouts and sweet potato stew are regulars for us. Basic baked tofu is something easy we often have for lunch. Oh! She loves the scallion pancakes. I love that cookbook.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:03 pm 
Semen Strong

Today we had noochy toast for breakfast, sweet potatoes and blackbean chili over brown rice for lunch and artichoke pasta for dinner. Carbolicious!

Yesteday we had oatmeal for breakfast, saag with tofu paneer over coconut rice for lunch (leftovers) and Chipotle burritos for dinner.

I think tomorrow is going to have to be a bit more protein heavy.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:09 am 
Level 7 Vegan

8 oz smoothie (fruit, yogurt, almond butter, flax)
Wheat toast with jelly (by request)
Clementine

Tofu scramble
1/4 avocado
1/2 flour tortilla
Sweet potato

Popcorn with EB

Tofurkey slices (we were having pinto sausages that were too spicy so this was a last minute sub)
mashed potatoes
Green pepper, mushrooms
Half a gingerbread cupcake :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:54 pm 
Semen Strong

I had a bout of food poisoning and Brett made me a very simple cream of mushroom soup (mushrooms and onion fried, then blended with 3 cups veg stock and 1/2 cup of soaked cashews) and it was amazing. Leela LOVED it.

Yesterday:
Breakfast: tofu scramble and toast
Lunch: roasted pumpkin and cauliflower over pasta
Dinner: same
Snacks (B was watching her): tortilla chips, dried bloobs, and apple sticks

Today:

Breakfast: oatmeal and a smoothie
Lunch: Cream of Mushroom soup and avocado-nootchy toast
Dinner: something that involves guacamole

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:19 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Ooh, I bet my husband would love that mushroom soup. Thanks for the idea!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:26 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Wow! All of your kiddos eat so well. I am getting some great ideas. I love this thread so much. I am thinking the next time I have a baby I am certainly going skip the purees and rice cereal stuff. I feel like most of you here have much better eaters because they are used seeing the whole food instead of purees. My son is so picky he would not eat half the things posted. Anyway, thanks for the ideas!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:30 pm 
Inflexitarian

Let me start by letting out the biggest sigh. As of dinner we are finally back to eating! Guineapiglet has been teething (seriously, when is she not teething) and it's been worse than normal so all she wants is breastmilk. To the point where she has 100% breastmillk poop like when she was a baby (TMI, but breastfeeding moms will understand). So finally today she had:

Breakfast: breastmilk
Snack: crackers (that I made with breastmilk), and mango
Lunch: I didn't check to see what lunch was today at school
Snack 2: black beans and rice with corn salsa
Dinner: Madras curry (with gardein chik'n strips, broccoli and peas) over brown basmati rice

I'll probably try to get an evening snack in there too - I have some left over roasted caulfilower and potato curry that will probably be her evening snack.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:57 pm 

Yay for eating again GP.

Today so far:

B: peanut butter and jelly, banana
L: baked potato, black bean chili, snow peas, and orange
D: ? Probably leftovers but maybe lentil burgers

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:18 pm 
Inflexitarian

Black bean chili sounds perfect! I just defrosted a bunch of black beans in anticipation of making black bean burgers but then forgot and ended up adding some to a scramble and now i don't have enough for the burgers. Making black bean chili tonight! Thanks butternut

So far:
B: Oatmeal with cinnamon and apple juice soaked raisins
L: she's eating it right now - rotini pasta, marinara sauce and "meat"balls

I just realized we need some more fruits and veggies! About to go cut up some tangelos for snack

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:43 pm 
Semen Strong

Yesterday: Oatmeal and blueberries for breakfast, sweet potato and blackbean tortillas with tons of guac (she ate mostly guac) for lunch, and African Peanut Stew over quinoa for dinner with some banana for dessert.

Today: cereal and almond milk for breakfast, African Peanut Stew (not interested) and a TJ's tofu burger (1/4). I don't know about dinner. Clearly we need more fruit as well. I was thinking about Mango BBQ Beans and cornbread....

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:30 am 
Semen Strong

Monday was:

B: Farina and apples
L: Desdemona's Elizavegan Avgolemono soup, which L loves. If you like lemon and need a sunny pick me up, this soup is amazing. We put chickpeas in instead of soy curls (http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com/2009 ... -avgo.html)

D: Mango BBQ Beans and grilled polenta with avocado and vegan tofu sour cream. I added zucchini and cauliflower to it to up the veggie content.
Snack: popcorn, because she has discovered noochy popcorn and loves it, a yogurt pop for teething (last molar breaking through the gum)

Today: Tofu scramble with mushrooms, zucchini, nooch and avocado (she ate about 1/4 avocado so I figure our fat needs are met for the day).

I need a toddler-friendly suggestion for Eggplant. I want to make eggplant curry, but I know she won't like it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:51 am 
Inflexitarian

We had eggplant caponata this weekend at a birthday party and she loved it and so did I (I'm not a fan of eggplants)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:22 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

we've had a great past few days too where D's eating is concerned:

1st breakfast - Newman's "Sweet Enough" cereal, the strawberry kind
2nd - tofu scramble with mushrooms and spinach
snack - banana. She surprisingly is not into the pb/banana combo because it's messy and she's kinda prissy!
lunch - brown rice/lentil porridge with avocado and kabocha squash chunks. Choc cookie for "dessert"
dinner - salt n pepper tofu, jasmine rice and a heap of baby bok choy (I actually mince the cooked bok choy and mix it with the rice because she just shovels it in that way)

1st breakfast - homemade English muffin with strawberry jam plus several bites of my oatmeal
2nd - cake tin scramble (where I take all the ingredients of the scramble and press it into a cake tin and bake) containing lacinato kale, caramelized onions and tempeh bacon
snack was "snack trap" - at almost 4 yrs old she still loves to eat out of that thing, and it is always always filled with raisins, Os and peanuts. There can be no deviation from this mix!
lunch - Gardein nuggets and some oven fries
snack - a whole bunch of apple slices and blueberries
dinner - baked ziti with chard and seitan. She ate like 10 bites of this before proclaiming it too spicy (because H refuses to leave the chili flakes outta our seitan sausages) so then she had some pb and wheat crackers

During these dinners, Sierra has done pretty well with slices of avocado and very steamed parsnip. She is VERY into eating but I'm kinda discouraged about baby-led weaning because there have been a few choking-type incidents. I know this is normal but I'm worried about being too distracted by D at mealtimes, so we've backed off on giving her anything other than purees and very very soft sticks of veg. I would absolutely LOVE for some of you to give me some recipe ideas for stuff I can make for her, I've looked at the BLW website and most of the recipes seem meaty. She only seems to understand the need to chew stuff sometimes and not so much the rest of the time.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:34 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Tofulish wrote:
Monday was:

B: Farina and apples
L: Desdemona's Elizavegan Avgolemono soup, which L loves. If you like lemon and need a sunny pick me up, this soup is amazing. We put chickpeas in instead of soy curls (http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com/2009 ... -avgo.html)

D: Mango BBQ Beans and grilled polenta with avocado and vegan tofu sour cream. I added zucchini and cauliflower to it to up the veggie content.
Snack: popcorn, because she has discovered noochy popcorn and loves it, a yogurt pop for teething (last molar breaking through the gum)

Today: Tofu scramble with mushrooms, zucchini, nooch and avocado (she ate about 1/4 avocado so I figure our fat needs are met for the day).

I need a toddler-friendly suggestion for Eggplant. I want to make eggplant curry, but I know she won't like it.

First of all, I want you to move in with us and be my cook. Or we could take turns.

Secondly, for eggplant, maybe roast cubes and serve them with a tomato sauce for dipping? When Raygold was younger and a pickier eater, he really liked eggplant with tomato sauce (although I skipped dipping and just tossed the roasted cubes right in with the sauce).
(Random fact: every time I get pregnant, eggplant starts tasting horrible until I am no longer pregnant -- usually, I really love it, though!)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:18 pm 
Semen Strong

Just made aloo baingan for dinner with coconut rice. I know she loves coconut rice and we have other veg if she doesn't like the eggplant (she hasn't liked baba ghanoush at all).

And she doesn't like mango, so no mango lassi for her. Mmm mango lassi. She loves seltzer for some reason (we got it at a friend's house) and maybe I should make her nimbu pani.

I always forget how much I love Indian food. Our house smells amazing. I tend to cook pretty standard American food when I know my husband is going to be eating with us, but I really do like my food a lot more complex and spicy than that.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:49 pm 

All that sounds yummy, Tofulish. I've been wanting to make the garlic naan in Vegan Eats World but I'm having a hard time tracking down plain soy yogurt (grrrr).

Also, don't give up with the baba and mango unless you've served it a lot. I took a nutrition class in grad school and I remember learning that kids sometimes need at least 12 exposures to a food/dish before they might like it. I'm not one to waste food, but if its something I eat all the time anyway, I keep giving her a bit even if she doesn't eat it (along with other stuff she will eat).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:50 pm 

Audrey, that cake tin scramble sounds good. Do you sauté it first?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:00 pm 
Semen Strong

No, totally! Its just funny, because she is the least picky kid and then she picks something to look horrified by and its delicious delicious mango.

Oh and I just use the tofu mayonnaise instead of soy yogurt. One tofu mayo recipe makes so much (and it needs to be used up so fast) and I don't think the yogurt is used for its bacteria, just to add extra moisture. You get the same slight sourness from the lemon and the consistency is about the same, fwiw. I just use the standard 1 pack tofu, 2 Tsps lemon, 4Tsp oil and a bit of salt.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:04 pm 

nah, that's the beauty of it - just press it in the pan and bake for like 20 min at 400. It's really just using the tofu fritatta method where you mash the tofu up really well with your hands and then mix in some spices, a little bit of oil, some nooch and salt, and then whatever you want your veg to be. Anything in our fridge is pretty much fair game to be thrown in there and I'm always amazed at how tasty it comes out.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:08 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Tofulish wrote:
No, totally! Its just funny, because she is the least picky kid and then she picks something to look horrified by and its delicious delicious mango.

Mmmmmmmm. Mango.
Raygold won't eat bananas. I think he ate half a banana once as some kind of fluke, but what kind of kid doesn't like bananas? He is also on a grapefruit hiatus -- usually when I peel and section a grapefruit, everyone fights over the sections, but Raygold stayed out of the fight today. He eats oranges, but not apples, although that might just be him trying to be different from Beetroot, who will gladly eat 5 apples a day; "it says to on the bag!"

Tofulish wrote:
I always forget how much I love Indian food. Our house smells amazing. I tend to cook pretty standard American food when I know my husband is going to be eating with us, but I really do like my food a lot more complex and spicy than that.

Mmmmmm. Indian food. I actually got into curries because of my husband -- I never had curry before I met him. Now he begs me to cook him curries all the time, although I like mine a lot spicier than he does (he calls me leather-tongue because I like my food so spicy).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:27 pm 
Semen Strong

Mmmmm, Audrey, that sounds SO good. Can you slice it? Does it store well?

Also, heh, leather tongue! Sexiest nickname ever ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:31 pm 
Inflexitarian

Butternut wrote:
Also, don't give up with the baba and mango unless you've served it a lot. I took a nutrition class in grad school and I remember learning that kids sometimes need at least 12 exposures to a food/dish before they might like it. I'm not one to waste food, but if its something I eat all the time anyway, I keep giving her a bit even if she doesn't eat it (along with other stuff she will eat).

This is 100% correct. It is recommended you wait a month and reintroduce the food. There can be so many things that contribute to a child not "liking" a food and many of them have little to do with the actual taste and more to do with the child's sensory development at the time as well as just general exposure. Especially during early childhood when there are so many new things going on.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:33 pm 
Inflexitarian

Audrey wrote:
nah, that's the beauty of it - just press it in the pan and bake for like 20 min at 400. It's really just using the tofu fritatta method where you mash the tofu up really well with your hands and then mix in some spices, a little bit of oil, some nooch and salt, and then whatever you want your veg to be. Anything in our fridge is pretty much fair game to be thrown in there and I'm always amazed at how tasty it comes out.

This is seriously the best idea going. I love scramble but only make it on the weekends because I'm rushing on the weekdays but I can throw everything in the oven while I'm getting ready and it would be done just in time for us to sit down for breakfast. Brilliance!!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:21 pm 

yeah it slices wonderfully if you've pressed it in to the pan pretty hard and let it cool a bit. A couple times I've even flipped the whole thing outta the pan on to a cutting board. I do love that the prep is minimal and then you can just go do other stuff while it's baking.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 591 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 24  Next