| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10604 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110 ... 425  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:50 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Love Child wrote:
Stumbled upon a forum on which I found a thread where someone asked for help with a school project about veganism. They wondered in which way it can be difficult to get all the nutrients you need on a vegan diet. Someone answered that "vegans don't eat anything from animals so they don't get any protein which means they don't have any muscles and are really weak". TS thought it was a great answer and said they would include that in their essay.

I assume these people aren't studying at university level, or at least I hope so.

Huh...I'm the most fit I've been in my entire life as a vegan, *and* I'm getting muscle definition...because I'm working out. :P

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:13 am 
Thinks chickens are assholes

Love Child wrote:
Stumbled upon a forum on which I found a thread where someone asked for help with a school project about veganism. They wondered in which way it can be difficult to get all the nutrients you need on a vegan diet. Someone answered that "vegans don't eat anything from animals so they don't get any protein which means they don't have any muscles and are really weak". TS thought it was a great answer and said they would include that in their essay.

I assume these people aren't studying at university level, or at least I hope so.

Ummm http://www.veganbodybuilding.com/?page=videos

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:47 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

Love Child wrote:
Someone answered that "vegans don't eat anything from animals so they don't get any protein which means they don't have any muscles and are really weak".

I think that may be one of the trainers at our gym! Seriously dude told us that we will only have flab not muscles while eating vegan!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:36 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

Today someone asked me if I made the brownies that are in the break room because "they taste healthy"
Since I actually like this person I told him that vegan doesn't necessarily mean healthy & anything I bake is gonna be super mega noms & taste like sugar & oil

It's just funny to think that we could go through years of this, become the president of the damn country, and still, we'd be eating pasta with veggies at every. damn. function.~~Joyfulgirl

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:58 pm 
WELFARIST!

How does something taste healthy? Especially a brownie!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:57 pm 

My guess is that "healthy" equals "not very good" in this instance.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:38 pm 
WELFARIST!

Hahaha, that's all I could think of. Like tasting healthy meant it doesn't taste like someone put sugar in it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:40 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Why do people think that vegan means only eats tiny portions!? 4 pieces of roast potatoes and a handful of overcooked frozen peas is not dinner.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:06 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

karichelle wrote:
My guess is that "healthy" equals "not very good" in this instance.

before i even knew where he was going with the conversation i kinda went there. he said "did you make the brownies in the kitchen" and i said "no so i bet they taste like poo"

lol

the only thing i can think of about "tasting healthy" is maybe really dry from lacking oil or really soggy mushy from using apple sauce instaed of oil

i should make him some vegan noms.

i made the magical coconut cookie bars from VCIYCJ last night maybe ill bring him one. he is one of the few people in that office i would give food too. i wouldnt waste my time and money baking shiitake for most of those jerkies

It's just funny to think that we could go through years of this, become the president of the damn country, and still, we'd be eating pasta with veggies at every. damn. function.~~Joyfulgirl

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:54 pm 

Don't discount the applesauce too much...it's pretty amazing in carrot muffins. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:16 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

ive never had good luck with it it always comes out overly moist. maybe i dont bake it long enough.
even one of the ppk recipes that i think went into the Forks Over Knives cookbook for some sort of brownie came out really mushy for me.
maybe i just stink at it!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:00 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

LisaPunk wrote:
ive never had good luck with it it always comes out overly moist. maybe i dont bake it long enough.
This could be it. I always replace half the oil with applesauce (or sometimes mashed banana) in muffin, brownie, etc. recipes, and have found that adding a few minutes to the cooking time eliminates any issues. Of course, ovens vary wildly and you know yours best, so just keep an eye on the situation. Also be sure to remove whatever you've baked to a cooling rack (I just use the racks from my toaster oven) to prevent soggy bottoms!

"SMLOUNCE!" ~ smurfterrobang?!
http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:18 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I think that brownies just shouldn't be messed with. If you need to try making them healthier, just eat something else instead.

I did like the Forks recipe for raspberry truffle brownies, but they aren't real brownies and are only good when I don't specifically want brownies.

Damn. Day one of my diet and now I'm dreaming of brownies. Thanks, jerks!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:36 pm 
Nailed to the V

I was thinking about this recently! One of the vegans I follow on Instagram (I don't think from the PPK?) posted a picture of brownies with a recipe, and they looked super good but half the comments were, "Can these be made with stevia instead of sugar?" "I heard you can make low-fat brownies with ripe bananas." etc. Come ON.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:47 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I don't mind a brownie made with applesauce for something sweet to have around, but like LW said, they're not for when I specifically want brownies though.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:03 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

ndpittman wrote:
I don't mind a brownie made with applesauce for something sweet to have around, but like LW said, they're not for when I specifically want brownies though.
We don't really care about sweets at my house, so I'm probably not the best one to comment. I bake a lot of muffins (which usually only contain about 1/4 cup maple syrup per dozen, because there's always raisins or berries or chocolate chips in them too). And it's been ages since I've made cookies or brownies, and I think I've baked two or three cakes in my entire life, and not one since going vegan. The occasional trip to FoMu doesn't come amiss, but people around here generally tend to favor the salty/savory over the sweet; even the kids.

"SMLOUNCE!" ~ smurfterrobang?!
http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:32 pm 
Nooch of Earl

So this is going to sound SUPER princess and the pea, but I opened a new thing of tofutti cream cheese (not hydrogenated) and it's not as smooth as it usually is. It's more...well, not quite grainy but almost, and not as melty and smooth as it usually is. What gives? It was like the time I tried that other brand sold next to it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:52 pm 
Chip Strong

annak wrote:
So this is going to sound SUPER princess and the pea, but I opened a new thing of tofutti cream cheese (not hydrogenated) and it's not as smooth as it usually is. It's more...well, not quite grainy but almost, and not as melty and smooth as it usually is. What gives? It was like the time I tried that other brand sold next to it.

This has happened to me before! I have no idea but I suspect that maybe it got accidentally frozen and defrosted or something? It was certainly edible but not as magnificent.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:28 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Sneaky animal-based "natural flavors". . . I bought a Healthy Choice Red Beans and Rice soup thing for lunch the other day. All of the ingredients are vegan except for "natural flavors," but I thought. . . whatever. . . it's probably okay. I was looking at the nutrition facts while eating it, and saw then that it contains cholesterol, so can't be vegan (unless there was a misprint on the label). It's my bad for assuming that the natural flavors were plant-based, but still, I think companies should be required to state on the labels if the natural flavors are animal-derived.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:29 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

http://www.healthychoice.com/products/s ... vable-bowl
This link shows 0 cholesterol...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:12 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

(gahhh deleted it-- vented about showing up to "oh everyone is sooo friendly!" vegan events and nobody is friendly and just ignore the awkward looking people standing around on their own, trying to break in to groups. It's high school all over again)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:19 pm 
Chard Martyr

Probably a label error. Its really doubtful that there would be enough to contribute to enough cholesterol to be on the label.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:14 pm 

TurningVioletViolet wrote:
(gahhh deleted it-- vented about showing up to "oh everyone is sooo friendly!" vegan events and nobody is friendly and just ignore the awkward looking people standing around on their own, trying to break in to groups. It's high school all over again)

I feel you. This happened to us at the last vegan potluck we went to. Lots of cliques of people who already knew each other and only wanted to talk to them. We ate alone and then left.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:54 pm 
Nooch of Earl

I bought roasted red peppers a few weeks ago that listed some amount of cholesterol. There was NOTHING in there that could've done it. I'm pretty sure labels just have errors here and there.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:38 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

The last 2 days have been interesting.

Coworker A: how many times do I need to tell you I'm not in fact lactose intolerant? And how many times will you ask me how I can possibly make baked goods without eggs?
Coworker B: how many times do I need to tell you that yes, I do drink soy milk. Soy milk is not dairy.
Dance friendy: vegans CAN have rice and bread products.

Whyyyyy

Reply to topic  [ 10604 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110 ... 425  Next