| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1387 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36 ... 56  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Steam PC gaming thread!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:03 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

brian wrote:
You know, I was turned off of Miasmata because the creature looks so goofy, but then I saw the Giant Bomb quick look and it looked really interesting! The navigation stuff looked really neat too. I guess I should pick this up.

It was made by two brothers. They were making cellphone games and quit that to dedicate all of their time to this. They went way over their timeframe, but it's good to hear that it probably paid off for them.

It's FANTASTIC. The creature looks kind of silly, but it's still a menace, creeping around in the undergrowth.

I just finished it. I am satisfied. I will probably dream about that damn island and its stone heads.

I am now really looking forward to what they do next. This was such a striking vision of gaming (since it was more or less the opposite of so many other games-- methodical rather than twitchy; low-key menace rather than overt threats; no combat at all; very little handholding) that unless they decide to go back to their Call of Duty 2 porting roots, they MUST do something else idiosyncratic and strange, right? I sure hope so.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:20 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Another art game set on an island has just been released:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/01 ... us-review/

http://www.visitproteus.com

I've had a beta copy for a couple of months, and whee, this is a pretty game. It's quite low-key, but good for relaxing roaming and exploration.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:44 pm 
A Bad Person

I've got to slow down with the purchases. I've come to the realization that I have way more games than I'll ever finish in a single lifetime. I need to buckle down and only get the games I actually have an intention on playing, and maybe not just everything that vaguely interests me. This is madness, I know, but I've had this problem before when I was working at a Gamestop. I was snatching up games left and right because they were cheap and I heard they were good. I need a real moratorium on anything that doesn't genuinely excite me.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:10 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

How about a 'no buy' February?

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:16 pm 
A Bad Person

HOW ABOUT A NO BUY NONEVER? Okay yeah, I looked at my calendar. February looks safe. Nothing mindblowing is coming out in February.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:30 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Proteus is inexpensive and worth the 45 minutes or so per playthrough... It's nice for evening unwinding, and there are weird secret things I keep finding...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:32 pm 
A Bad Person

The Witcher 3 is coming. http://thewitcher.com/

The super special, limited edition will not escape me this time. I will own a box full of useless trinkets!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:22 pm 
Chip Strong

So, is Dragon Age 2 really that bad?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:07 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Imitation Of Chris wrote:
So, is Dragon Age 2 really that bad?

On its own, its not bad. What I didn't like was the repeating dungeons, the characters are often shallow by Bioware standards, and the elf redesign was terrible. BUT on the other hand, the combat system was better, and I liked the redesigned Qunari, and Merrill is probably one of my favourite video game characters. Oh, and Flemeth is AMAZING and the game's high points are in her scenes I think. I felt like she was the only character with much complexity, though, most of the other characters have ONE characteristic that defines them. Isabela is defined by being promiscious, Anders is defined by mage oppression, and he will NEVER shut up about it, and Fenris is defined by being an ex slave of a mage, so he hates mages.

I probably wouldn't notice a whole lot of its flaws if I wasn't comparing it to Origins, and I'd probably like it a lot better if it wasn't under the Dragon Age title. It was just a let down.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:14 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

Also dragon age 2 didn't really have much of a story. you kind of just wondered around doing odd jobs and things would build up like something was going to happen but it ended up going all right and you'd move on to the next chapter. I never felt anything could pull me in with that.

Mix with reusing the same dungeons again and again and the characters just not being up to the normal spec and the enemies dropping in from the sky every fight instead of the tactical placement dragon age 1 had it just feels bad to me.

http://thenexusnews.com/the-witcher-3-a ... ii/853568/

interesting news I seen it a few places linked this one it looks like EA is pressuring the devs to release sooner with DA 3 out of fear of competing with witcher 3 even though half the major flaws of DA2 were obviously from lack of development time. So EA decides the best answer is to keep development time cut short for the sequal to fix this.

I can't find the recent data I saw showing them hemorrhaging money in 2012. but

http://www.vgchartz.com/article/88776/e ... 1-quarter/
http://www.gamespot.com/news/ea-posts-3 ... ss-6399243

this is pretty much caused by them frequently making the dumbest decisions possible like it's going out of style.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:23 pm 
WRETCHED

I actually liked Dragon Age 2 but it is definitely different than Origins.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:26 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

A lot of people seemed to, but you can definitely tell that it was released too early. I go back and forth on whether I actually like it because I'm pretty sure my bias comes from the fact that I love Origins so much. And I really was not please with the bug with porting Zevran's romance flag.

I'm really excited about Dragon Age 3 though, I've been keeping up by following this blog: http://dragonaging.tumblr.com/ and I'm starting to save up so I have a good desktop when it comes out.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:30 pm 
WRETCHED

If you haven't seen it, there is a Linux sale but the games are win/osx compatible as well. We own most of the games already.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:06 pm 
A Bad Person

Yeah, and if you play TF2 from a linux machine, you get a free in-game Tux doll!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:01 am 
WRETCHED

We started watching Walking Dead (finished season 1 last night) and I started playing the game. I don't know if anyone else has played it but it is mostly story, little action but it is choice driven. Somewhat similar to Bioware type games but a lot less action. I think it is the kind of game my husband likes, I'd like a little more action but it is pretty cool. The graphics are outstanding. And so far, the story doesn't intersect with the tv show (and I think the tv show follows the comics?).

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:05 am 
A Bad Person

I never watched The Walking Dead, but from what I understand, the game is more closely aligned with the comic book, and the tv show is mostly inspired by the comic book but throws in more characters for tv sake. Take advantage of that episodic structure! You can play through the whole game straight in a weekend, but then you're going to be in for some serious sads.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:13 am 
WRETCHED

We just got Netflix streaming which is why we get to watch Walking Dead. It is good! I'm excited about the game, especially if it doesn't spoiler the tv show.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:43 pm 
A Bad Person

From what I understand, there is one minor character crossover, and that's it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:00 pm 
A Bad Person

Today's daily is To The Moon. It's real interesting in that it plays like an SNES rpg, but there's no battles (okay, one battle), and the story is like a cross between Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and Inception. It's probably technically an adventure game.

Anyway, you will cry REAL TEARS in this game. Seriously. It gets real forking sad. Maybe it's because I powered through it in the middle of the night over the course of three hours. But it's really good.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:28 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Yeah, I bought To The Moon a while back before it was on Steam (because I am an art game hipster yo) and it is pretty incredible.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:34 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Kentucky Route Zero is quite the thing.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:16 pm 
WRETCHED

I don't know if you guys would appreciate it or not but if any ppker would, you guys would. I ordered a OMG PWNIES shirt
aka

Now the question is, if I am going to a hacker conference soon, do I wear it? It is a different type of pwn but it cracks me up every time I see it.

ThinkGeek also has a computer bag with OMG PWNIES on it, I'm very tempted to buy.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:22 am 
A Bad Person

Hey, the new SimCity came out and it's kind of a big forking mess! You can read a lot about why here, in a review that started as a 9.5 (before public launch) and has been updated to a 4 because of the myriad of problems the game is experiencing: http://www.polygon.com/game/simcity-2013/2630

The good news is that the Tropico series is on sale on Steam! You can get all of Tropico 4 for less than $10! http://store.steampowered.com/sub/19282/?snr=1_4_4__106

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:00 am 
WRETCHED

I love tropico but I think tropico 2 was the one I really enjoyed? I do think I was meant to be a dictator.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:53 pm 
A Bad Person

Sleeping Dogs is today's daily deal! I just finished it a couple days ago and I really liked it! I wrote a recommendation on Steam and a little review on my blog. Get the base game, skip most of the DLC because it's just costumes and cosmetics, except for Zodiac Tournament, Nightmare at North Point, and Wheels of Fury. Get it!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/202170/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1387 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36 ... 56  Next