| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 675 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 27  Next
 Post subject: Re: I'm looking for a job.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:03 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Guys guys guys guys guys guys I GOT IT!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:06 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

Yay! Congrats!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:10 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

People don't usually read the resume if the cover letter isn't good. This is certainly true in education.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:08 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

starrynight87 wrote:

AWESOME! GO YOU!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:09 pm 
Emotionally Allergic to Dairy

starrynight87 wrote:

Congrats!! That is so exciting!

Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:15 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

veggiepalooza wrote:
I have officially been rejected three separate times at the same company. Why do they keep calling me back to reject me? I only put in one formal application and the other two times they called me about the job. I hate this, I'm giving myself the next hour to be miserable and hate myself for keep messing this up and then figuring out what I should do next...

Obviously they like you - so rather than 'messing up' it just means they thought someone else was a better fit. Would you feel comfortable checking back in with them? You might thank them for their continuing interest in you, let them know you're disappointed that this opportunity didn't work out, and ask if there's any feedback they can provide on your interview?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:18 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Jill wrote:
veggiepalooza wrote:
I have officially been rejected three separate times at the same company. Why do they keep calling me back to reject me? I only put in one formal application and the other two times they called me about the job. I hate this, I'm giving myself the next hour to be miserable and hate myself for keep messing this up and then figuring out what I should do next...

Obviously they like you - so rather than 'messing up' it just means they thought someone else was a better fit. Would you feel comfortable checking back in with them? You might thank them for their continuing interest in you, let them know you're disappointed that this opportunity didn't work out, and ask if there's any feedback they can provide on your interview?

That's what I was thinking too. If you feel comfortable, contact the HR person and make a friendly inquiry. See if there are any skills you need to work on or if there's something you can do to improve your chances if they call you again.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:53 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

My current year-long contract is up next week and I haven't had much luck finding another position. One of my connections can hook me up with a job, but I don't feel good about it because I'm not sure it's very vegan or animal friendly. It has to do with clinical trials, probably just collecting data from charts or getting information from (human) patients.

The problem is, before the clinical trials they test the drug on animals (preclinical phase). The animal testing might have been done many years ago or more recently. I feel like I'd be somewhat supporting animal testing, any opinions or does anyone here happen to work in clinical trials and have more information?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:27 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

ilovemydogs, I don't think working with human clinical trials is unethical at all.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:34 pm 
Chard Martyr

I posted a few pages ago about applying for a job that didn't let me upload anything, so i couldn't put a cover letter or resume. So, I emailed the person who would be my boss and didn't hear back, which I sort of expected. The job posting just closed a few days ago, but it was about a month ago that I sent her my letter and resume.
Do you think I should email her again now that posting has closed to check and see if she got my resume and cover letter or should i just assume she got it, but wasn't able to respond for whatever reason. It's kind of my dream job, but I'm not super qualified and i think the only thing that would really get me an interview potentially would be my cover letter. sigh! i don't want to be pushy and make them hate me, but I also feel like it would be such an amazing opportunity that I don't want to miss out if I have a chance.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:45 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

If it's your dream job you should definitely follow up! If it was something you were just kinda meh about I would say skip it, but I think at this point trying won't hurt anything.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:46 pm 
Chard Martyr

Thank you! I'll send an e-mail!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:05 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I just got a message from the secretary of the music department at the school where I got my undergrad degree. They're laying the groundwork for a new music therapy program, and since I'm their first grad to get a job in music therapy, they want some info to print in their brochures! It's like I'm famous!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:00 pm 
Chard Martyr

congrats, SN! that's great!

I just wrote a cover letter for a job that I just saw, but was posted 2 weeks ago. Hopefully it's not too late. We'll see!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:32 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I'm tired of retail but I'm still an undergrad and I don't seem qualified for anything that would get me away from crabby customers :(

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:08 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

I walked out of an interview last week and immediately realized that my fly had been down the whole time and I had white cat hair all over my black pants. A few days later I accidentally sent a screwed-up resume to a potential employer and then forgot to attach the corrected version when I emailed her again. Why, god why?! I am never going to get a job.

So embarrassing!" -just mumbles

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:08 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

Jigglypuff wrote:
I walked out of an interview last week and immediately realized that my fly had been down the whole time and I had white cat hair all over my black pants. A few days later I accidentally sent a screwed-up resume to a potential employer and then forgot to attach the corrected version when I emailed her again. Why, god why?! I am never going to get a job.

Not true! I sent out a cover letter saying my resume was attached, and I completely forgot to include it. I was emailing through a form system so there wasn't a smooth way to correct it and resend it, and I just never sent them my resume. I went to bed that night thinking that they would never call and how stupid I was. Not only did I get a call for an interview the next day but I ultimately got the job. So, while it does seem tragic, people do understand that mistakes get made. Don't be so hard on yourself!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:07 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I'd hire you BECAUSE of the cat hair!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:06 am 
So Totally Yiffy

Nebraskalaska, thanks for the feedback. I've never had to think about whether a job is ethical before!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:55 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

zelavie wrote:
Jill wrote:
veggiepalooza wrote:

That's what I was thinking too. If you feel comfortable, contact the HR person and make a friendly inquiry. See if there are any skills you need to work on or if there's something you can do to improve your chances if they call you again.

I'm definitely going to do this! I think it may make more sense to contact the people I interviewed with directly though perhaps? I only interviewed with the HR woman once and every other time just met with the people I would be working with. That would be acceptable right?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:00 pm 
Emotionally Allergic to Dairy

veggiepalooza wrote:
zelavie wrote:
Jill wrote:

I'm definitely going to do this! I think it may make more sense to contact the people I interviewed with directly though perhaps? I only interviewed with the HR woman once and every other time just met with the people I would be working with. That would be acceptable right?

I think that makes perfect sense! They'd be the ones who could give you a better answer anyways. Good luck!

I just had my phone interview for the fellowship I applied for. I THINK it went well... I don't know! I'm scared. I want to be invited to the group interview day, which is the final step. I'll find out within a week. AAAHHH.

There is a TINY part of me that doesn't want to get the job, because if I do, I will not be able to go camping for a week in July in New Hampshire like I do every summer with my dad. That would make me so sad. But sometimes... you just gotta accept losing out on things like camping. I can camp next summer. Right? I hope so.

Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:58 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

It isn't weird to track down the email of someone if they didn't communicate with you via email at all is it? I want to send a "thank you" for my interview and their email is clearly posted on the website, but they have not used it with me and it was not listed in the original job posting.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:36 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

bathsheba wrote:
It isn't weird to track down the email of someone if they didn't communicate with you via email at all is it? I want to send a "thank you" for my interview and their email is clearly posted on the website, but they have not used it with me and it was not listed in the original job posting.

Nah, you could have asked the receptionist for it or something. You definitely want to send a thank you.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:07 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

For you guys really worried about interviews, I found these cards so helpful! If you're still a student, contact your career advising center and they may have them. Mine were free from the business department.

http://www.ivyadvising.com/order.htm

Also, I just read through several pages and just want to say congrats to all of you who landed your jobs, and good luck to those of you still looking.

Chicki, if you get tired of your new job, you should start your own business as a career coach. I would pay you for your advice and some interview coaching...and I'm in an HR program.

Oh, my advice, which is kind of old, tired advice, but as a female, make sure to have a firm handshake! For a male having a weak handshake hurts you, but a strong one isn't terribly helpful, but I guess the shock of a woman (frail creatures that we are) makes a stronger impression. (though handshake firmness isn't actually indicative of job success if you're the one doing the hiring.)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:49 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I have an interview tomorrow at a public relations and government affairs consulting firm, which I'm pretty excited about. I have been trying to get into publicity in publishing but I'm going to branch out. Plus I had an informational interview with a woman at Scholastic who said she thought I would get bored in publishing and that I should go into political consulting haha.

Reply to topic  [ 675 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 27  Next