| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5227 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138 ... 210  Next
 Post subject: Re: And what are we reading now?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:39 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

jogirl wrote:

Next up is The Casual Vacancy

Have to say, I am really liking this. Is it Great Literature? Probably not. Is it making me sit in cold bath water because I can't resist finishing the next chapter? Absolutely.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:10 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

jogirl wrote:
allularpunk wrote:
Nebraskalaska wrote:
I am about halfway through Never Let Me Go. So far, so good.

I looooved this book! There's a movie also, which isn't half bad.

I absolutely loved that book! I haven't seen the film, as I was a bit worried it would be awful, but maybe I will give it a go.

I've just finished The Grave Tattoo by Val McDermid, which I really enjoyed. It's a thriller, but the plot is all based around theories about what happened to Fletcher Christian, and his supposed friendship with Wordsworth.

Next up is The Casual Vacancy

While I did like Never Let Me Go, I was sort of sad it didn't keep up the momentum that drew me in at the very beginning. I have a few other gripes, but I still overall enjoyed the book very much.

Now I'm starting The Wind Up Bird Chronicle!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:33 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

Eat and Run by Scott Jurek, looks like it has some good recipes too.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:05 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

ilovemydogs wrote:

I enjoyed this and wish I had copied down some recipes before I returned it to the library.

I just started reading the Sherlock Holmes stories. A month ago I picked up a copy of all of them and have been thrilled that they are as witty and fantastic as all of the recent versions on the small and large screen.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:08 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

TheHerbivore wrote:
Invisible Monsters by Chuck Palahniuk. Pretty twisted.

This is my favorite of his books.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:09 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Nebraskalaska wrote:

The Wind Up Bird Chronicle was also very good. You're basically reading the list for a book club I was in 4 years ago.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:15 pm 
Dead by dawn

Catalina wrote:
ilovemydogs wrote:

I enjoyed this and wish I had copied down some recipes before I returned it to the library.

I got this for Christmas and am reading it right now. If you have any specific recipes in mind I could pm them to you.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:51 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I just finished The Alchemist by Paolo Coelho, which I really enjoyed. I read another book by him a few years ago and forgot how much I enjoyed his writing style. Fairly simple, but his story always draws you right in.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:10 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

How to Be a Woman by Caitlin Moran.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:21 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Ooooooh will you let us know what you think about that one?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:28 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

I'm about half-way through and I'm conflicted! On the whole I really like it--hilarious, sensible, really accessible. However, the whole "English imperialism is the best!" has come up and it's hard to stomach. As is her use of the word "rhubarbed". Only once so far, but yuck.

One thing I really, really like, though, is that she says that feminism is far too important to be left up to stodgy academics who write for other academics.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:35 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I'm taking a course now that talks about the feminist blogosphere and non-academic books (we're going to be reading Gaga Feminism later) so I'm a bit curious about that one, since from what I heard its a mix of what's good about mainstream feminist books and whats bad. We were talking a bit yesterday about continuing problems with intersectionality and she was the first one I thought of as an example.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:29 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Touch of Power by Maria V. Snyder - I've heard a lot about her books but this is the first I've read and I'm really enjoying it. Finally a YA with no insta-love!

bodhi wrote:
I just finished The Alchemist by Paolo Coelho, which I really enjoyed. I read another book by him a few years ago and forgot how much I enjoyed his writing style. Fairly simple, but his story always draws you right in.

I liked that too. I had Eleven Minutes but I lent it to a friend and she never returned it... and I had another one but I can't remember what one.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:49 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

allularpunk wrote:
Nebraskalaska wrote:

The Wind Up Bird Chronicle was also very good. You're basically reading the list for a book club I was in 4 years ago.

That's what happens when you barely read for 6 years! You spend a lot of time catching up on stuff you should have read awhile ago. The good news is that you can find all of the popular paperbacks from years ago at Goodwill for $2! And there are no holds on the books you want at the library!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:39 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I'm reading the most recent Jess Smith book, The Way of the Wanderers: The Story of Travellers in Scotland, and I have to say I'm a bit disappointed. I liked her other books because I knew what to expect. This one led me to believe that it would be a history of Scottish Travellers, but that isn't really the case. Most of it reads more like a travel journal or tourist guide (describing the places/scenery), and the history mostly comes in the form of stories she heard growing up or things she just assumes to be true. Also, she actually claimed that the English allowed the Irish language to "continue unhindered", when even a quick Google search proves that wrong.

I really wanted to like this, and I'm gonna finish it, but I don't really expect it to get much better.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:31 pm 
WRETCHED

I finished Handmaid's tale which was pretty good. I wanted to switch to a non-fiction book so I'm ready Brain Rules. Basically, I've learned so far that I need more exercise :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:57 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

monkeytoes wrote:
Catalina wrote:
ilovemydogs wrote:

I got this for Christmas and am reading it right now. If you have any specific recipes in mind I could pm them to you.

Thanks for the offer, but honestly I can't remember any of the specific recipes, just that they sounded good (and very healthy).

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:45 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I need something good to read. I'm simultaneously feeling crappy, and have no attention span. I need fluff, but because I'm really super irritable right now, I also don't have the patience for silly. Basically, I need chocolate in book form.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:05 pm 
WRETCHED

lavawitch wrote:
I need something good to read. I'm simultaneously feeling crappy, and have no attention span. I need fluff, but because I'm really super irritable right now, I also don't have the patience for silly. Basically, I need chocolate in book form.

For fluff, I usually go to my Rogue Angel books. I found them at a thrift store cheap so I have a few. Some are better than others.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:23 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

lavawitch wrote:

Those are the times where I bring out something like The Princess Bride because I simply can't be unhappy reading that.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:31 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

linanil wrote:
lavawitch wrote:

For fluff, I usually go to my Rogue Angel books. I found them at a thrift store cheap so I have a few. Some are better than others.

That looks perfect. How have I not heard of these before? I love archaeology and pulpy books. These sound kind of like that old Tia Carrere tv show.

I got the first one on Kindle.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:33 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Shy Mox wrote:
lavawitch wrote:

Those are the times where I bring out something like The Princess Bride because I simply can't be unhappy reading that.

That's where the attention span thing is getting me--rereads aren't working. Not even my go to, Wings of the Falcon by Barbara Michaels (aka Elizabeth Peters), or some of her EP books like Summer of the Dragon and Legend in Green Velvet. I love Amelia Peabody, but my real favorites are her older stand alones and Vicky Bliss. Fun fact: she went to grad school with my middle Egyptian professor. I asked him if he had had her as a student and he gave me this look and said they were classmates. I also tripped on stairs and made Mark Lehner drop an armful of crepe down two flights of stairs.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:30 pm 
WELFARIST!

lavawitch wrote:
Shy Mox wrote:
lavawitch wrote:

That's where the attention span thing is getting me--rereads aren't working. Not even my go to, Wings of the Falcon by Barbara Michaels (aka Elizabeth Peters), or some of her EP books like Summer of the Dragon and Legend in Green Velvet. I love Amelia Peabody, but my real favorites are her older stand alones and Vicky Bliss.

My go-to books for these moods are Rosemary's Baby and about half of Lawrence Sanders The Third Deadly Sin. I re-read them a lot, never seem to tire of them, they feed my brain that needs reading but just wants to be entertained and are well-written, I like the characters (or think they're really well drawn because in the Sanders' book the main character is a serial killer) and never get tired of the story. The only reason I've ever balked at re-reading them is because I feel that I re-read them already too recently because, I dunno why, I just never get tired of them and I've been reading them for years.

I'm still reading Mia's autobio but court papers regarding Woody is the next section and potential legalese is not too enticing when my brain is this tired.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:40 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I just read A Discovery of Witches. Not my usual genre, but I really enjoyed it. Enough to stay up all night reading, which I never do anymore.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:47 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

lavawitch wrote:

Have you read Chocolat? It or a lot of Joanne Harris's books are food for that. I also like Alan Bradley's Flavia de Luce series which starts with The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie.

ETA: I just finished Peaches for Father Francis and really enjoyed it. Harris dealt with a lot of issues in a skillful manner, and you could tell she did a lot of research for the book. The ending was a little too neat, but overall happy ending is happy.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5227 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138 ... 210  Next