| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: "The unpalatable truth about quinoa"
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:11 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

My coworker just sent me this article, which is just ridiculous and infuriating.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/jan/16/vegans-stomach-unpalatable-truth-quinoa

Yes, let's blame the ills of the global food market on vegetarians and vegans who make up like 2% of the population. I don't know how stuff like this gets published.

Not to mention that the author's idea of good British beef-eaters being somehow exempt from clocking up the food miles is easily debunked with about two seconds worth of Googling (http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2010/jul/21/uk-south-america-soy-rainforest-emissions)

Profile WWW  

Post subject: Re: "The unpalatable truth about quinoa"
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:19 pm 
Impressive boner

Recent articles have shown that The Guardian is circling the toilet bowl.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:44 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

it's even more frustrating that you can't leave a comment, yet they say at the top "comment is free"

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:00 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

That's pretty funny. Like only veg'ns eat quinoa. My mom works at a preschool and they feed the kids quinoa for lunch -- no one there is vegetarian. It's also really useful for gf folks, who may outnumbers vegans at this point.

They also brought up that silly argument re soy, conveniently forgetting how much if it goes to animal feed. Sounds like someone was looking to ruffle some feathers :-/

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:04 pm 
WELFARIST!

Everyone get ready for the onslaught from annoying family members, friends and co-workers emailing you this article and posting it to your Facebook wall.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:16 pm 
Mediocre Tart

supercarrot wrote:
it's even more frustrating that you can't leave a comment, yet they say at the top "comment is free"
That's probably a browser issue- there were near 400 comments last time I checked, and it has jumped at least 2 pages since then.

Most times vegan articles appear on the Guardian it's a caramel cluster of idiocracy. It's difficult to tell with the new embedded comments thing, but it does at least seem that a majority of people are calling it out for the baws it is?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:16 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Mr. Shankly wrote:
Everyone get ready for the onslaught from annoying family members, friends and co-workers emailing you this article and posting it to your Facebook wall.

Already had it happen on twitter! Where's my bingo card?

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:27 pm 
Mediocre Tart

mrsbadmouth wrote:
Already had it happen on twitter! Where's my bingo card?

See, and this is where i think what the fork internet, how can y'all tell me Scottish people are wankers and eat bullshiitake food all the time while, at the damn same time as I was reading all this gubbins every damn person at my work tonight (we were on late shift til 9pm) was simultaneously reading this baws and saying to me "the fork! this is the stupidest article ever!" Honestly, I think we all fell down a wormhole from outerspace I do.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:01 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I only got it posted on my Facebook wall once! It's doubly annoying because we grow quinoa right here on the prairies where I live!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:34 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

The Guardian can't get its shiitake straight: Quinoa brings riches to the Andes.

Although they do talk about how people are abandoning quinoa, it's not just because the price has increased, but because those who grow it have more disposable income from their cash crop to buy more fashionable western alternatives.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:48 pm 
WRETCHED

hoveringdog™ wrote:
The Guardian can't get its shiitake straight: Quinoa brings riches to the Andes.

Although they do talk about how people are abandoning quinoa, it's not just because the price has increased, but because those who grow it have more disposable income from their cash crop to buy more fashionable western alternatives.

Yeah, I'd see this scenario more or hopefully. Basically, if you get paid a lot for quinoa, sell that and buy whatever. I'm sure you could keep some for yourself if you wanted. And my bag of quinoa is from Canada.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:44 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

This piece of crepe has shown up three times in my feed. Ok, one was from Ginny Messina, so that was ok, but two were from quinoa-loving omnis. I went ranty! I never go ranty about vegan shiitake on FB (no point) but I couldn't help myself. This article pissed me off. (To be clear, I didn't go ranty on the friends who posted this, but on the article itself.)

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:29 am 
Bathes in Braggs

yeah, this has been on my fb twice today already. i got my rant on a little. and then i just lost the will to care about idiot journalists and idiot vegan hating people. interestingly, both people who posted it in my fb circle of friends are failed vegans *eyeroll*

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:47 am 
Inflexitarian

Yeah, I made the mistake of searching for 'quinoa' on Twitter. An awful lot of people there, like some in the comments, seem to think this means "Aha! Vegan diets are worse than meat - I knew it!" And the journalist responding to people that she "didn't choose the headline", as though the article weren't riddled with the same attitude. Besides, it's an issue that's been covered as early as this NY Times article in March 2011: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/20/world/americas/20bolivia.html?_r=0

Plus side: I saw some Australians (vegan and perhaps otherwise) tweeting their disappointment and wondering about Australian-grown, so I was able to suggest the Tasmanian-grown stuff that's available 'round the place. Would be nice to bring more business to a deserving company.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:53 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

This comment made me laugh. I posted a few comments when people posted the article on Facebook, they were straightforward and not super ranty, but I still wish I would have just quoted this person:

Quote:
Samvara: 16 January 2013 10:32 AM. Link to this comment. Recommend 341

"Can vegans stomach the unpalatable truth about quinoa?"

This particular one can. You see, vegans are people who don't eat meat or dairy produce, not people who eat lots of quinoa.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:03 pm 
Chard Martyr

haha. i guess sometimes it's worth it to read the comments. that's a good one.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:19 pm 
Nailed to the V

When she puts parts of a sentence "in quotation marks" who is she quoting? Or do they represent "air quotes"? Anyway, it irks me. Also, I don't see any comments, were they removed?

oops found them.

Last edited by Peri on Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:21 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Peri wrote:
When she puts parts of a sentence "in quotation marks" who is she quoting? Or do they represent "air quotes"? Anyway, it irks me. Also, I don't see any comments, were they removed?

The quoted part is the title of the article that she is responding to.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:40 pm 
Inflexitarian

The article now has a footnote added:
Quote:
This footnote was appended on 17 January 2013. To clarify: while soya is found in a variety of health products, the majority of production - 97% according to the UN report of 2006 - is used for animal feed.

Maybe Joanna Blythman should read The Guardian: http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2008/dec/07/meat-soya-environment-paraguay

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:46 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

that's good. i hope the guardian learned it's lesson and no-longer publishes articles from her.
(but unfortunately, i'm sure this article brought a lot of traffic)

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:26 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I was first introduced to veganism by punks and anarchists so it all just seems so silly to me? Like, shock and horror, capitalism had negative effects. Like where do you think your clothes and your electronics come from? Don't you feel bad that people died over your iPhone? No, vegans are to blame here for eating too much quinoa.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:39 pm 
Inflexitarian

A brief but effective response (alongside Vegansaurus): http://www.good.is/posts/against-the-global-grain-the-lesson-of-quinoa-s-incredible-popularity

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:55 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

My quinoa boxes have recipes including salmon, mussels, shrimp, chorizo, feta and chicken stock on the back. Judging by that marketing strategy, vegans are obviously responsible for eating all the quinoa.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:06 pm 
Saggy Butt

I haven't read the Guardian article, but Care2.com also has used a few paragraphs from it to tell us that The More You Love Quinoa, The More You Hate Bolivians. I personally don't know any. I just checked the bag I got from Costco, it's Bolivian, so must be true. They didn't mention vegans, but a few of the comments did that I could get through did.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:42 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

that care2.com article pretty much uses the guardian article we are bisqueing about here as it's main source of "facts". hooray.

Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next