| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 758 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 31  Next
 Post subject: Re: Kids say the darnedest things 2.0
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:10 am 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

It was wooden kitchen spoons for my BFF as well. So forkin sad! I was lucky with my very gentle parents.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:26 am 
Naked Under Apron

My aunt put an angry face on a wooden spoon (I think maybe there was a happy face on the other side, but I'm not sure) and when her kids misbehaved, she would show them the angry face (I guess she hit them once or twice to get the message across, too). One time, when my cousin came back from college, she secretly put angry faces on all the wooden spoons. >:D
That's probably the only good wooden spoon story I know.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:14 am 
Seagull of the PPK

hit once or twice?! my parents broke spoons on my brother (who would laugh demonically). i got the belt. to this day "the belt" makes me shudder. i guess it's better than my cousin here who got whipped with an electrical extension cord (what the fizzle!).

we all have this visceral response to physical discipline now though, i like to think that we're expressing the gentler, calmer parenting that my parents, at least, didn't feel free enough to use. it's a positive evolution.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:53 am 
Inflexitarian

My parents were spankers (usually just a hand on the bum done in the "go to your room and thing about what you have done and in 10 minutes I am going to come in and give you a spanking" sort of way) but beware disturbing mom while she was on the phone! She would grab whatever was handy and start swinging it in your general direction. Since the phone was in a nook between the laundry room and kitchen the most favored objects were a wooden spoon or a hanger. As a gag gift one year when we were all grown up my brother bought my mom a spoon with a crazy long handle and hung it on the wall next to the phone.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:53 am 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

My husband made pancakes this morning for Ada with leftover batter. I guess they weren't up to par because she took a bite and then yelled "sucks!".

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:04 am 
Semen Strong

Oh that is HILARIOUS!

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:35 am 
Nooch of Earl

*snort* she has many years of disappointing vegan pancakes ahead of her, poor girl. (not that it's impossible or even difficult to make good vegan pancakes, it isn't! But I've had so many baaad ones, even in restaurants.)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:26 am 
And you never will.

Haha! Peter asked to taste my dinner last night (hottie black eyed peas and greens with ginger mashed sweet potatoes and apples from AFR). He took a bite, made a face, and yelled "NASTY!!". Oh dear :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:20 pm 
Grandfathered In

I had a friend growing up whose mother would have him cut a piece of bamboo from the backyard. To be hit with.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:03 pm 
And you never will.

Oh yeah. "Cutting a switch" was a big thing in this area with my mother's generation. Barbaric.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:25 pm 
Naked Under Apron

FootFace wrote:
I had a friend growing up whose mother would have him cut a piece of bamboo from the backyard. To be hit with.

Oh, holy shiitake!

ETA, all I have to do to get my kids in line is threaten to "get dad." It works pretty well about half the time. And for Raygold, I can threaten to 'x' him -- just make an x with my fingers in his direction. Beet does that to him when he's mad and Raygold flips out (I had to teach him to 'o' back at Beet to calm him down this afternoon after getting 'x'd too much).

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:49 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Oh my goodness, B and R are just amazing. I know a pair of siblings about a year and a half difference in age and they just totally torment each other with stuff that makes no sense to me at all.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:12 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

poopiebitch wrote:
Oh yeah. "Cutting a switch" was a big thing in this area with my mother's generation. Barbaric.

This is what my husband grew up with. I was never hit.

It's almost hilarious (in an awful way) when people talk about spanking their kids around me, because almost everyone around here does, and they remark on how well behaved my kids are. I don't miss a beat in telling them that that is what a child looks like who has never been spanked.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:24 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I was threatened with spanking but hardly got spanked. There were classifications of spanking: A smack with the hand for minor infringements or THE BELT if you were really bad. I never got THE BELT, (that was how my mother referred to it: she'd get an ominous look and tone and say "THE BELT") but the threat was that it would be applied to my bare bottom. I did get a few hand smacks. Then my mother would cry because she felt bad. I don't hold this against her, this was the child-rearin' she believed in and she cried in true "this hurts me more than it hurts you," fashion. She also once shoved a bar of soap in my brother's mouth because he used a bad word and she cried over that and never did it again.

Also, I think you could still also get spanked at elementary school when I was a young'un. Imagine! The principal would apply the spankings then. This might only have been a rumor, it's too long ago for me to remember if this ever actually happened to anyone I knew, but the threat was strongly implied. That just wouldn't fly these days, no way.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:40 pm 
Naked Under Apron

Ariann wrote:
Oh my goodness, B and R are just amazing. I know a pair of siblings about a year and a half difference in age and they just totally torment each other with stuff that makes no sense to me at all.

Hahaha, yeah, I don't know how they come up with that stuff, but it is kind of hard to keep a straight face when Raygold is so terribly desolate about Beetroot x-ing him from across the room (R is kind of a moper and goes so comically over the top sometimes). B x's Mr Crabby when he's mad at him, too, "I x you!" I almost never get x'd.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:46 pm 
Chard Martyr

seitanicverses wrote:
I was threatened with spanking but hardly got spanked. There were classifications of spanking: A smack with the hand for minor infringements or THE BELT if you were really bad. I never got THE BELT, (that was how my mother referred to it: she'd get an ominous look and tone and say "THE BELT") but the threat was that it would be applied to my bare bottom. I did get a few hand smacks. Then my mother would cry because she felt bad. I don't hold this against her, this was the child-rearin' she believed in and she cried in true "this hurts me more than it hurts you," fashion. She also once shoved a bar of soap in my brother's mouth because he used a bad word and she cried over that and never did it again.

Also, I think you could still also get spanked at elementary school when I was a young'un. Imagine! The principal would apply the spankings then. This might only have been a rumor, it's too long ago for me to remember if this ever actually happened to anyone I knew, but the threat was strongly implied. That just wouldn't fly these days, no way.

when i was a kid my mom told me about getting her mouth washed out with soap, which of course made me immediately go to the bathroom and try it on myself.
I only got spanked once, when 7 year old me told my sister to yell "fork you" to the 5 year old kid across the street and she did it. I can't really imagine ever hitting a kid! It's kind of interesting how everyone in this thread thinks it's awful to spank a kid, but may of us and our parents were spanked. that's a good cycle to be broken.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:09 pm 
And you never will.

I got the belt (on bare skin), and I had to lick a bar of soap if I said something I wasn't supposed to (like call one of my sisters a 'dummy'). I agree with IJDI, it's encouraging to me that we're all intent on breaking the cycle.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:34 pm 
Naked Under Apron

There are 19 states where corporal punishment in schools is still legal, and still used. http://abcnews.go.com/US/spanking-schoo ... d=15932135

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:39 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Spanking was in full swing at my elementary school...and I guess it still is according to that list. I teach now in another state and I can't imagine a student being spanked. How is that still legal?

My parents spanked me mostly with bare hands, but I do remember at least one occasion with THE BELT. Horrifying! I could never do that to my Babynut.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:10 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

My mom's favorite story to tell about me as a kid is how I used to BEG her to spank me instead of sending me to my room or any of her other "think about what you did" punishments. Spanking seemed preferable to (never spanked!) me, I guess, because you got it over with quickly. Instead, I had to explain my behavior and write apologies and all this other crepe. My little friend down the street got smacked and sent on her way and I was jealous.

One thing that always seemed weird to me that I heard the spanking parents I knew growing up talk about was how you shouldn't do it when you were angry, but wait and like have an appointment to administer the spanking. I mean, I get the not doing it in the heat of the moment (or at all!), but telling a kid "I'm going to spank you tonight" or whatever and having them dread it and doing it after the infraction is likely forgotten seems messed up to me. Well, I mean it all seems messed up.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:24 pm 
And you never will.

Pinko wrote:
telling a kid "I'm going to spank you tonight" or whatever and having them dread it and doing it after the infraction is likely forgotten seems messed up to me.

My mom did the classic "wait until your dad gets home", and wrote a note on the fridge detailing what we did and how many spankings we would get at the end of the day. So all day long we had to look at the note and dread the moment our dad got home, because administering punishment was the first thing he did when he walked in (after removing his belt). Seriously, the more I think about it, the more forked up it all seems.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:32 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

My parents were the same as yours, Pinko. When I was too little to write apologies, I had to go to the corner. I used to get sent to the corner all the time for hitting my sister (I was maybe 2 or 3 and she's not even 2 years older than I). She'd always done something to torment me before I hit her but it was always something like not sharing a toy. Since she was never violent, the only trouble she got in was being told she had to share or give a toy back. My toddler self did NOT understand why hitting was a much larger crime than refusing to share, and so getting sent to the corner always made me very indignant. My mom tells a story of the time that I was really mad at my sister, so I looked at her, looked at my parents, looked at the corner, slapped my sister and ran to the corner before anyone could yell at me. I guess I was really proud of myself for that one.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:24 am 
Naked Under Apron

poopiebitch wrote:
Pinko wrote:
telling a kid "I'm going to spank you tonight" or whatever and having them dread it and doing it after the infraction is likely forgotten seems messed up to me.

My mom did the classic "wait until your dad gets home", and wrote a note on the fridge detailing what we did and how many spankings we would get at the end of the day. So all day long we had to look at the note and dread the moment our dad got home, because administering punishment was the first thing he did when he walked in (after removing his belt). Seriously, the more I think about it, the more forked up it all seems.

Aren't ritualised spankings horrifying? Sometimes I'd get a smack from my mom when she lost her temper and, honestly, it didn't bother me much and I can totally understand how that happens (Mr Crabby's mom is a pacificst (so were her parents, in a big political way) and even she smacked him once!). But the ritualised spankings, getting the spoon, going into the bathroom, bending over and pulling my pants down, the little swats on my hands (which were covering my butt) and the "we can't start until you move your hands" comments, while I was terrified and begging them to stop. I wasn't even a bad kid (I can't imagine what they would have done to wild-man Beetroot) -- these spanking were for eye-rolling, talking back, and being sassy. *shudder*

But then my mom stopped them suddenly around the time I was...9?...and replaced them with crazy lectures (again, for stuff that if my kids did, I wouldn't even bat an eyelash) that lasted hours. Hours! 8 hours was the record, I think, and by the end of these lectures, I'd say anything they wanted, confess to things I didn't do, agree that a conversation went a certain way (when it totally didn't), whatever it took to make it stop. They almost made me long for the creepy ritualised spankings.

Gosh, even my worst parenting fails don't seem so bad now. Venting sure feels good.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:45 am 
Seagull of the PPK

poopiebitch wrote:
Pinko wrote:

My mom did the classic "wait until your dad gets home".... So all day long we had to look at the note and dread the moment our dad got home, because administering punishment was the first thing he did when he walked in (after removing his belt). Seriously, the more I think about it, the more forked up it all seems.

This was my house, with the belt (and the soap too, to this day glycerin soap is not welcome in my home).
And we wonder why my relationship with my father was so bad.

And from his point of view, what a bisque of a situation.
You work like a dog all day and your first order of business is to whip your kid, who has made your wife cry because the kid told the principal to go fork himself at school today [that was me]. How can it be possible to do that and keep your own mental health, not to mention a loving, functional relationship with your child. I think about this and my father's own mental health challenges and it makes me want to cry for him.

again, thank goodness we're doing away with this.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:15 am 
And you never will.

TheCrabbyCrafter wrote:
But the ritualised spankings, getting the spoon, going into the bathroom, bending over and pulling my pants down, the little swats on my hands (which were covering my butt) and the "we can't start until you move your hands" comments, while I was terrified and begging them to stop. I wasn't even a bad kid (I can't imagine what they would have done to wild-man Beetroot) -- these spanking were for eye-rolling, talking back, and being sassy. *shudder*

But then my mom stopped them suddenly around the time I was...9?...and replaced them with crazy lectures (again, for stuff that if my kids did, I wouldn't even bat an eyelash) that lasted hours. Hours! 8 hours was the record, I think, and by the end of these lectures, I'd say anything they wanted, confess to things I didn't do, agree that a conversation went a certain way (when it totally didn't), whatever it took to make it stop. They almost made me long for the creepy ritualised spankings.

I swear to you, it's like we grew up in the same household. I forgot about covering my butt with my hands and the threats of extra spankings if I didn't move them, and my sisters and I still "joke" about my mother's insane lectures. WHAT.

Reply to topic  [ 758 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 31  Next