| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2199 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64 ... 88  Next
 Post subject: Re: dumb questions related to pregnancy and babies and stuff
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:29 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

haha just this morning D wanted to be "nakie" for a bit, which to her means just underpants. And it is cold! we always let her because ya know, why make an issue out of it...as for us, we sleep naked (TMI, I'm sorry) but if H has to get up and see her for any reason, he puts on pj pants. D doesn't seem interested at all in our bodies, she's just used to it I guess, which is how I want it to be.
so littlebear, Nate's parents were nudists huh? that's cool, I have a feeling H would be very into that if we didn't live in a crowded urban setting and have kids haha. (I was raised by a large group of hippies so I'm pretty blase about the whole thing.)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:27 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

During the week, Will eats 3 meals a day, drinks 2 bottles and nurses 3-4 times. On the weekends, I'm still lazy sometimes and skip the food and nurse him 7-8 times. At what point is that unacceptable? Or will he let me know when he's not happy with just nursing?

Also, how strict were you with "should be weaned from bottle by 1 year"? I feel like there isn't a huge difference between nursing/bottles?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:51 am 
***LIES!!!***

Malka is 16 months and still on bottles. I'm not worried about it and I think we'll probably try to wean her off them around 18 months. She's just getting really interested in cups, but still won't drink a bunch from a cup, so I don't want to wean her from the bottle and wind up not being able to get her to drink milk at all. My understanding about the bottle weaning is that it has more to do with them sucking on bottles as they fall asleep and winding up with a pool of milk in the mouth that rots their teeth, not that there's anything terrible about the bottle as a general rule. And Malka still isn't eating three meals a day. She has about 6 bottles a day and maybe actually ingests food twice.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:37 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

His parents aren't nudists, they just like being naked when they can be. They lived in San Diego at the time and I guess when it was hit they would all be naked. I'm the total opposite and prefer clothes all the time (besides shower, obviously), so it's hard for me to understand being naked outdoors! Grey loves being naked and also doesn't feel the cold, yet.

We give grey milk in a bottle, he drinks water from a water bottle with a straw (I had read somewhere straws are good for speech development). The dr didn't care that he was 18 months and had milk in a bottle.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:25 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Okay, that makes me feel much better. 18 months isn't so impending! And I've heard that about straws too... also there's a timeframe where babies know how to use a straw and after that you have to "teach" it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:39 am 
Semen Strong

Leela just figured out straws because she stole another kid's sippy and it had a straw. So I don't think there is much teaching. I don't even know how you would. At our swim class, the instructor was saying that the ability to blow bubbles is developmental, ie every kid gets there at their own pace, and I imagine sucking through straws is similar.

There is a 2+ year old kid in our playgroup who still drinks from his bottle. I don't think its an issue!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:42 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

littlebear wrote:
(I had read somewhere straws are good for speech development)

They are! Silas' SLP recommends straws to build those muscles. Also, good for sensory stimulation.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:38 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

anyone ever have a minor medical procedure done while pregnant?

i had "thing" on my forehead (technical term: pyogenic granuloma) and they removed it today. they used .5ML lidocaine/epinephrine.

they said they only use a teeny amount and it should not have a systemic affect (though they'll never guarantee that!) they said i was welcome to call my OB first but i was like "just cut it off!"

just curious.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:06 pm 
And you never will.

Tofulish wrote:
Leela just figured out straws because she stole another kid's sippy and it had a straw. So I don't think there is much teaching. I don't even know how you would.

I actually kind of had to "help" Peter along when it came to straws. He was around 11-12 months when I started trying them, I kept sticking them in his mouth periodically and he was always like "what the hell do you want me to do with this?" We were in England just after his first birthday, and went to this place in Bristol called Cafe Kino that had little 'juice box' type flavored soya milks (yes, sugary! I'm a terrible mother), so I bought a banana one and stuck the straw in his mouth and squeezed gently so a little came out. It was his aha moment - there is something tasty in the straw! So he instinctively sucked and that was it. He's been all about the straws ever since.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:01 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Lisa, I wouldn't worry about it. Dental work with local anesthetic is totally routine in pregnancy and I think would be much more likely to have a systemic effect than a little lidocane in the forehead. People even are put under general anesthesia during pregnancy when necessary, so it can't be too terribly risky in comparison!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:13 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Yeah, I had a root canal while pregnant. I don't think you need to sweat it, LP.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:42 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

that's what i was thinking guys and why i didnt bother calling the OB. they said it was a teeny amount and it shouldnt go systemic but obviously they never guarantee anything!!

thanks for the reassurance :-)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:57 pm 

Has anyone gotten extender straps for a high chair? Where did you find them? I've looked here at ToysRUs and Mothercare and online, but can't seem to find anything. We have a nice chair for Freya, but we're really needing to strap her in most all of the time now (because she can push the chair away from the table in a flash), but her straps are way too small. The straps haven't fit her for ages, since like 8 months maybe, it's just that we wouldn't use them at the table. If she were in the chair with the tray up and not at the table, I'd do maybe one of the leg straps but not the other, and would be right next to her. Anyway, we like the chair, and she likes the chair, but not enough to risk a concussion.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:27 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

I have what is probably the stupidest pregnancy question ever but im still going to ask it. in the US I believe the standard of care for women giving birth in the hospital is you are admitted and you stay for 2 days after birth. So if your labor is a long one you could be in the hospital for 3-4 days. And obviously if you have to have a c-section you are there for longer (cant remember how long). What on earth do you do in the hospital for 2 days after delivery if you have a relatively uneventful labor/delivery?

Is it mainly to monitor the baby? Im just trying to think of this from the perspective that some people give birth at home with no hospital “stuff” or monitoring or anything sooooooo….???? What goes on in the hospital for those 2 days?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:34 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I stayed in the hospital 24 hours after delivery because my midwife is nice and let me go early. I spent the time taking care of my new bundle of joy. My baby nursed ALL THE TIME. And when he wasn't nursing he needed to be held and rocked. So yeah. I wan't wishing I had brought my knitting or anything to while away the time.

Also the hospital I delivered at had about 2 hours of videos I had to watch before discharge. One video about baby care basics, one about post-partum care, and a special tear jerker about shaken baby syndrome that is still seared into my brain (take your hanky if you have to watch it.)

And the reason why we had to stay even 24 hours was because they there is particular testing they like to do on newborns that needs to be done around the 24 hour mark. Please don't ask me what testing that is because I have no idea. The pediatrician made a big deal about him staying for 24 hours and then insisted we have a next day appointment all set up with our private pedi before discharge (and my baby had zero problems/complications.)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:44 pm 
Semen Strong

I was in for 2 days after an uncomplicated delivery, and it was just a chance to get checked out (the nurses and the midwife check on how you're stitches etc are healing) and also feel more comfortable with breastfeeding and caring for your kid. There were always nurses around to help you manage your latch or help you figure out why your baby was crying. I was happy to have it (plus we got free post-natal massages which was nice).

My friend had an equally easy delivery and checked out the next morning, with no issues. Another friend had hemorrhaging and was allowed to go once the bleeding was controlled. So I think you can be discharged whenever you want to, unless there are complications.

Also, another friend had a twin c-section and asked to be discharged after 3 or 4 days instead of staying the whole time and while she was discouraged from doing so was pretty happy with her choice.

Last edited by Tofulish on Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:45 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

yeah a day sounds good. and all the videos kinda make sense. i remember one of my friends gave birth (probably over 10 years ago now) and she was like "the hospital made me sign something saying i had a sink (?) before i could take the baby home!"

two days seems like a lot if both you and the baby are fine.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:48 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

Tofulish wrote:
I was in for 2 days after an uncomplicated delivery, and it was just a chance to get checked out (the nurses and the midwife check on how you're stitches etc are healing) and also feel more comfortable with breastfeeding and caring for your kid. There were always nurses around to help you manage your latch or help you figure out why your baby was crying.

i think this will be my main "use" of the time. getting help with bf and anything else the nurses can tell me. i wasnt sure how much they were around after the "main event" was over.
sounds like maybe those 2 days are good for helpful learning experiences to ease you into going home?
that will be definitely helpful for me. if we get bored (assuming we have an uncomplicated delivery which you never know!) maybe we can check out early.

i just remember being in the hospital for a week once after surgery and towards the end of the week i was literally ready to jump out the window to get out of there. AND i was heavily medicated at the time so chilling out SHOULD have been easy ;-)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:23 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

They keep an eye on your bleeding and stitches. They coach you in self and baby care. They like to wait until you're pooping okay, too.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:42 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I thought those two days in the hospital were great (and I think for C-sections you get a minimum of 72 hours). I definitely needed the breastfeeding help (I got help for pretty much every single latch-on, even in the middle of the night), it was great to have people checking on the baby, but helping me get comfortable handling her (she was in my room the whole time and I was petrified of picking her up at first), etc. I think the hands on coaching for baby care is essential for a lot of people - my husband took to it with no problem, but I had a tough time getting used to it.

In our hospital, you get a postpartum nurse and the baby gets its own nurse. My postpartum and baby nurses were around A LOT more frequently than my labor and delivery nurses (I should say, I was in labor and delivery for longer than I was in postpartum) and they were MUCH more responsive to my pushing the call button - I probably saw them once an hour on the first day and once every other hour on the second day. They came right away and were super helpful. They were also (weirdly) way more hands on than the labor and delivery nurses - lots more checking of me, lots of handling the baby, lots of handling my breast and the baby (with my permission of course) - and that was all great for me. I think if you were really in bad shape they would also probably help you shower. That first shower was amazing, even with terrible water pressure. Even the first poop was amazing and it was the worst poop of my life. Anyway, I digress...

I didn't have a totally normal delivery and also needed some time to be able to walk afterwards (I didn't walk normally for a few weeks because of fluid retention) and it gave me some peace of mind to have someone checking on my bleeding throughout because I lost a lot of blood in the delivery itself (a normal "a lot," not a hemorrhaging "a lot"). The food was atrocious, but at least I didn't have to get it for myself and that was huge in the beginning. There are also some (very rare) postpartum conditions that can take up to a couple days to present. Staying for a couple days also allows them to do the hearing test and PKU test in the hospital.

All that being said, people have babies at home all the time and go sleep in their own beds right afterward, but even then their midwives come back and do follow-up checks the next few days. You don't *have* to be in the hospital after a totally normal birth (and you can always sign yourself out early if there are no issues, although it might be harder to get the baby out and I wouldn't want to be discharged without the kid), but it's also not torturous necessarily to be there. We also watched a lot of TV/DVDs and played on the internet, so not so different from what I wound up doing when I went home. There was also a nice visiting lounge in the postpartum unit that we spent time in with family/friends. It was easier than having them to our home afterwards because there were no expectations of being a good host.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:59 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

mittenmacher wrote:
They keep an eye on your bleeding and stitches. They coach you in self and baby care. They like to wait until you're pooping okay, too.

Oh, dear lard, I am so glad the hospital where I had Beetroot didn't have that policy because I pooped so much during labour, I didn't poop for another 5 days.

I wanted to go home right after having Beetroot, but had to stay until the next day (although they originally told me not to even think about asking to go home for at least 2 days) when a nice midwife let me out early.

I liked my birthing centre with Raygold so much, though, and I was so tired from hemorrhaging, that I didn't want to leave the next day!

My sister had to stay at the hospital for a bunch of days after she popped for, from what I can tell, no reason at all. I heard she was really going nuts wanting to get out. I would have been, too!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:15 pm 
Married to the wolfman

I loved being in the hospital with E. Normal delivery (lots of bleeding though), I was fine, he was fine, but I was an anxious first time parent and liked having people around telling me things were normal, giving me tips on nursing, and pumping me full of free juice. My partner stayed the whole time and it was sort of a mini vacation from the world for us.

With M, I was there by myself and was so forking bored. We only had to stay 2 days despite his initial trauma. Our nurses really advocated on my behalf to get the on-call doctor to let us leave, which I appreciated. (Initially the on-call wanted to discharge me and keep him another couple days.) I expected to be glad to have a break from E and home stuff but I just missed him a lot and wished I was home.

Nobody made sure I pooped either time (and the first time I didn't), but they did monitor my pee output the first day. I had to be catheterized after E because I pushed for so long that the muscles down in that area were just not responding to anything.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:21 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Everyone's different, I guess. By law in the US, they can't force you to be discharged less than 48 hours after a vaginal delivery (96 hours for a c-section). I stayed the full 2 days, and I would not have wanted to leave a moment sooner. My recovery was super easy, and my daughter was pretty much fine as well, but I found it so terrifying caring for an infant that I was very grateful to have experienced nurses to help out with basic baby care and breastfeeding.

It will be interesting to see how I feel the second time around, especially since it looks like I'll be having a c-section. Staying at the hospital for 4 days away from my daughter sounds a bit rough.

Last edited by helbury on Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:25 pm 
***LIES!!!***

96 hours after C-section - thanks for clarifying that, helbury.

Yeah, people used to stay in the hospital A LOT longer, a week used to be totally normal (and can you imagine how bored you would've been for a week before smartphones and cable TV in every room?). I think the current law is about not letting insurance companies get away with not paying for at least a two-day stay.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:40 pm 

This reminds me of the office episode when Pam and Jim have the baby and they don't want to leave the hospital. The nurses have to kick them out and it's hilarious.

I hated everything about being in the hospital and looking back on it now and hearing your stories makes me ever more annoyed by my experience. I didn't get help with latching issues, pumping or anything else really. So I recommend asking for help and demanding attention if you are not getting it while you're there.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2199 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64 ... 88  Next