| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 639 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 26  Next
 Post subject: Re: Chloe's Kitchen
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:37 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Made the chow mein last night and wasn't a huge fan. It wasn't necessarily bad, but I have much, much better noodle recipes than that one. I made a couple of subs to make it a little more authentic and less weird (ie. hokkien noodles instead of spaghetti, and edamame instead of peas) and added a generous pinch of chilli at the end, but it was still pretty bland for my tastes. I think this recipe would be better suited to someone who is just learning to cook vegan and isn't too adventurous yet.

Also, I have three apples in my fruit bowl that are sitting there neglected. I know what they're destined for this afternoon!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:59 pm 
WRETCHED

I got confused because I was thinking that Chow Mein was Chop Suey and an American invention so I was thinking how do you make it authentic? :)

I told my husband to take a piece of the apple cake to a coworker of his who likes baking, and he asked for the recipe. He said he can't wait to make it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:54 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Hm, I have a bunch of apples in the fridge that are too old to eat straight. I may have to jump on the apple cake bandwagon.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:59 pm 
WRETCHED

I'll say I cut down on both the sugar and the oil, just slightly. I also omitted the icing. My husband thought I could omit a tad more sugar but we aren't really icing fans and we don't eat a lot of sweet stuff.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:03 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

linanil wrote:
I'll say I cut down on both the sugar and the oil, just slightly. I also omitted the icing. My husband thought I could omit a tad more sugar but we aren't really icing fans and we don't eat a lot of sweet stuff.

Cool, thanks for the tips! I'm not an icing fan so I'll probably also omit it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:36 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

for those of you raving about the double double burgers:

im not a big tempeh fan. would you say this is a good recipe to convert a tempeh hater or that i should stay away from it if i dont like tempeh that much?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:22 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Everything gets mushed up so you can't really distinguish that there's tempeh in there. So I guess it's good for getting you to eat tempeh, not so much for getting you to appreciate or come to like it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:37 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Erinnerung wrote:
Made the chow mein last night and wasn't a huge fan.

I really, really liked this recipe when I made it, but I think I'm pretty much the only one here who did. As far as I remember, I stuck pretty closely to the recipe, so maybe it just needs to be inauthentic. :D

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:04 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

LisaPunk wrote:
for those of you raving about the double double burgers:

im not a big tempeh fan. would you say this is a good recipe to convert a tempeh hater or that i should stay away from it if i dont like tempeh that much?

My husband isn't a huge fan of tempeh, but REALLY enjoyed the burgers and couldn't tell that there was tempeh in them. They were a hit for my son, too- but he will pretty much eat anything, so that's not saying much.

We really enjoyed the chow mein, too. Stuck to the recipe, but did at a bit more spice and a lot more veggies.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:44 pm 
WELFARIST!

Shukriyya wrote:
Also, I had the orange tofu a while ago and damn, that was yummy! The apple cake didn't turn out the way it was supposed to (it was too oily), but I don't know what went wrong.

Yeah, that orange tofu is super good! Yum, reminds me to make it again soon.

I haven't made the apple cake yet, but yeah, just reading the recipe and I balk at the oil and sugar count but with baking, I always follow the original recipe because I'm not comfy enough myself to tamper without knowing what the end result should be. I'll report back when I make it this weekend.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:34 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I made the apple cake but replaced about 2/3 of the oil with applesauce. I can't deal with using a whole cup! It still hasn't cooked the whole way through though, despite having added an extra 20 minutes or so to the baking time. It's back in the oven now, but I'm nibbling on one of the corner bits that is cooked, and it's pretty good! Definitely sweet enough without icing- I actually think that the icing would detract from the cake. As it is, it reminds me of my favourite apple and cinnamon muffins from when I worked at Starbucks.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:22 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

Erinnerung wrote:
I made the apple cake but replaced about 2/3 of the oil with applesauce. I can't deal with using a whole cup! It still hasn't cooked the whole way through though, despite having added an extra 20 minutes or so to the baking time. It's back in the oven now, but I'm nibbling on one of the corner bits that is cooked, and it's pretty good! Definitely sweet enough without icing- I actually think that the icing would detract from the cake. As it is, it reminds me of my favourite apple and cinnamon muffins from when I worked at Starbucks.

I was a bit hesitant to use all the oil but ended up using it all and it didn't end up working that well for me it as it was super greasy and definitely seemed like too much oil - it had a really nice flavour but I ended up throwing it out becuase of how oily it was so I might try making it again but doing the applesauce sub. Also didn't think it needed the icing.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:18 pm 
WRETCHED

I made the double double burgers with special sauce. I thought they were pretty good and the sauce was good too. My husband even liked the sauce. They are fairly easy to make too.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:18 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i made the thai chickpea burgers tonight with the wasabi noodle salad on the side.
ive made the wasabi noodle salad a million times already. it's so good!

we thought the burgers were really good but neither one of us was that into the sauce. if we make the burgers again we will just use regular ketchup. the sauce tasted like tomato paste with sugar in it. it's supposed to be "sweet and spicy" i believe however i did not measure the red pepper flakes i just shook some in since i know i am not good with spicy stuff. so it may have been my own fault it didnt come out quite right.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:15 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Yesterday I made the stuffed shells with the arribbiata sauce. OMG these were amazing. The filling was so good. I couldn't stop myself from eating it after I mixed it. It was creamy and I loved the hint of lemon juice. I have made other tofu ricotta recipes in the past and this one is the best. The sauce was OK. I make my own sauce and I think that is better. I would make these shells again using my own tomato sauce. I think this dish would go over great with those are not veg.

Since I made the spicy sauce for the shells I decided we needed something sweet and made the Chloestess cupcakes. These were very good. I used black cocoa to make them nice and dark. The ganache topping was good but I thought it was a bit too thick for the top of a cupcake. I had some leftover which I will gladly eat for a snack. When I make these again I will just put a thin layer of chocolate on the top. The icing recipe for inside made a ton, so I would create half the amount of this.

Overall, a great dinner that I am looking forward to making again very soon.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:56 am 
WELFARIST!

Hm, I don't think the apple cake worked for me. I did 2/3 cup oil and 1/3 cup applesauce and just reading the recipe, I didn't think there would be enough wet ingreds/moisture to turn 2 cups of flour into a batter and when I mixed it up, my "batter" was more like a crumbly pie *filling but I thought, whatevers, when the apples release their moisture in the oven, that'll sort it out while it's baking.

It slices okay, albeit a bit crumbly, it's got a nice taste, but the texture is sandy and crumbly (too dry) and I don't even think replacing 1/3 cup of the oil with applesauce was the problem. The recipe needs milk or some more liquid to make it more batter-like, methinks. And I made the glaze which promptly vanished into the too dry cake. I'll try another wedge tonight and toss if it sitting in the fridge hasn't improved things. It's tasty but I wouldn't make it again. I recommend the caramel apple cake from Don't Eat Off The Sidewalk or one of mbm's awesome zines, that's still my fave applecake.

ETA: *I mean crust, not filling. Like a dry, sandy crust.

Last edited by seitanicverses on Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:59 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

the stuffed shells are on my list of things to make this week so good to hear they are yummy.
ive never made any kind of stuffed shells ever,,,,,,vegan or not....so im hoping i dont screw them up

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:07 pm 
Nailed to the V

LisaPunk wrote:
the stuffed shells are on my list of things to make this week so good to hear they are yummy.
ive never made any kind of stuffed shells ever,,,,,,vegan or not....so im hoping i dont screw them up

I felt the same way when I made the stuffed shells. :) They are much easier to make than I expected! And I was so proud of myself when they turned out well. I really liked the sauce, I wouldn't have liked the recipe as much with an ordinary tomato sauce. Good luck!!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:08 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Shells are easy. Manicotti can be a pain, but stuffed pasta is pretty forgiving.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:50 pm 
WRETCHED

seitanicverses wrote:
Hm, I don't think the apple cake worked for me. I did 2/3 cup oil and 1/3 cup applesauce and just reading the recipe, I didn't think there would be enough wet ingreds/moisture to turn 2 cups of flour into a batter and when I mixed it up, my "batter" was more like a crumbly pie *filling but I thought, whatevers, when the apples release their moisture in the oven, that'll sort it out while it's baking.

It slices okay, albeit a bit crumbly, it's got a nice taste, but the texture is sandy and crumbly (too dry) and I don't even think replacing 1/3 cup of the oil with applesauce was the problem. The recipe needs milk or some more liquid to make it more batter-like, methinks. And I made the glaze which promptly vanished into the too dry cake. I'll try another wedge tonight and toss if it sitting in the fridge hasn't improved things. It's tasty but I wouldn't make it again. I recommend the caramel apple cake from Don't Eat Off The Sidewalk or one of mbm's awesome zines, that's still my fave applecake.

ETA: *I mean crust, not filling. Like a dry, sandy crust.

Because I swapped out, I did add a little water. I also used 1 cup of sugar vs the 1.25 cups. I added just enough water to make everything kind of stick together.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:41 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Yeah, I forgot to mention that I added a splash (probably a couple of tablespoons) of soy milk to the apple cake. The batter was still really thick, almost like brownie-style 'press it into the pan' thick, but I wasn't sure whether that was just because of the applesauce sub.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:07 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

LisaPunk wrote:

I don't think you will screw them up. Shells are very easy to make. And you can always stuff them with so many things. My mother makes some with bread stuffing and then tops the entire thing with gravy. I get my own w/my own gravy. So tasty.

To make the stuffing of the shells go quicker, I put all the filling in a baggie, snipped the end off, and 'piped' in the filling.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:32 pm 
WRETCHED

I made the southern skillet and although it didn't quite taste southern, it was good. I also made the biscuits which was my first time making biscuits. They weren't bad but I think I need to work on it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:43 pm 
WELFARIST!

The apple cake sorted itself out nicely in the fridge but I still prefer mbm's caramel apple cake. It's not dry at all anymore and cuts into wedges perfectly. Just not my fave.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:03 pm 
WRETCHED

I made the spaghetti bolognese (using shells) and my husband loved it. I thought it was a bit too meaty so I did add extra sauce to make it saucier. You'd never guess that walnuts, beans and mushrooms gave it it's 'meatiness'.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 639 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 26  Next