| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7479 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 300  Next
 Post subject: What nail polish are you wearing?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:20 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I liked this thread so I'm starting it again.

I just bought this set (I really hope the green is an appley green)

And Ruby

And now I have to wait patiently for them to arrive.

Post subject: Re: What nail polish are you wearing?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:23 pm 
Totally sane, not interested in bats whatsoever.

Those are pretty colors!

My nails are currently naked.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:24 pm 
Ate all the pumpkin seeds

I like the blues. I need some more blue nailpolish. I bought one from Butter and it sucks. It's a dark blue with cobalt sparkers. Looks great in the bottle but dries really dingy. It wasn't cheap either, so I am less than pleased.

I also got a blacked green from OPI called Here Today...Aragon Tomorrow that looks awesome in the bottle, but on my fingers dries to basically black. I was hoping for it to be like NARS Zulu, which is a really deep green, since I don't want to shell out that much for NARS. Alas, it's nothing like it.

So two polish fails recently. Boo.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:25 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

My fingernails are naked. I'm in desperate need of giving myself a pedicure. 7 of my toenails are hot pink. The other 3 are red.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:29 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

andi_vert wrote:
Those are pretty colors!

My nails are currently naked.

I think so too and they suit the spring weather we're having here! My nails are naked too, I don't want to bother with polish as I'll be painting my living room this weekend :/

Adah wrote:
I like the blues. I need some more blue nailpolish. I bought one from Butter and it sucks. It's a dark blue with cobalt sparkers. Looks great in the bottle but dries really dingy. It wasn't cheap either, so I am less than pleased.

I also got a blacked green from OPI called Here Today...Aragon Tomorrow that looks awesome in the bottle, but on my fingers dries to basically black. I was hoping for it to be like NARS Zulu, which is a really deep green, since I don't want to shell out that much for NARS. Alas, it's nothing like it.

So two polish fails recently. Boo.

I can't stand how different some polishes are in the bottle compared to on your nails. In the last set I bought, there were 2 blues both ended up having glitter in them and were just not what I wanted. The dark blue was almost black (like your green one) and the light blue comes out really pale and it's almost mauve.

deearess wrote:
My fingernails are naked. I'm in desperate need of giving myself a pedicure. 7 of my toenails are hot pink. The other 3 are red.

Ha, I like this colour combo!

My toe nails are still Sunday by Bloom, with a few dots of white house paint

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:04 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Those are such gorgeous colors! I really need to get into doing my nails again. I mostly keep them unpolished but adding color is such fun!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:22 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Kitteh wrote:
deearess wrote:

Ha, I like this colour combo!

I didn't exactly plan it. I was going out one night while still wearing the walking boot. I couldn't find my red polish to do a touchup, so I painted over the red polish with the closest thing I could find - hot pink. I was in a hurry and you couldn't see 3 of my toes from the boot, so i just skipped them. Lazy, lazy.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:03 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Adah, It isn't cheap, but check out Chanel Blue Satin. I love it. The Chanel formula is almost always amazing, and it is 5 free, not just 3 free (no camphor or resin, etc either).

Here is a random internet photo: Image

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:06 pm 
Totally sane, not interested in bats whatsoever.

lavawitch wrote:
Adah, It isn't cheap, but check out Chanel Blue Satin. I love it. The Chanel formula is almost always amazing, and it is 5 free, not just 3 free (no camphor or resin, etc either).

Here is a random internet photo: Image

I freaking love that you have a ginormous collection of awesome chanel nail polishes.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:15 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Ooh, the Butter polishes are vegan? I saw a nude one in Bust that I really liked.

Also, can anyone recommend a nice gray/khaki-ish cream?

My fingernails are bare because I keep meaning to sit down and do a nude/black half moon manicure, but I'm lazy. Zoya's Maura on my toes, leftover from my trip to Hawaii (it's waaay too tropical punch-y for home and needs to come off.):

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:28 am 
Discovered unobtainium

Pinko wrote:
Ooh, the Butter polishes are vegan? I saw a nude one in Bust that I really liked.

Also, can anyone recommend a nice gray/khaki-ish cream?

The queen of grieges is Chanel Particuliere. It was hard to find, but they just added it to the permanent color collection. Lippman Waking Up in Vegas looks nice, but I haven't seen it in person.

I know I am probably the only one insane enough to pay for the Chanel polishes, but I love them so much. The brush is perfect, the formula rocks, and the finish is totally unmatched. I have a few Lancome and Dior, but I wouldn't pay for them. Andi: my collection has built up over 15 years; I just hoard them like some sort of nail polish miser.

ETA: I think almost all nail polishes are vegan unless there are some weird ones that add crepe like gelatin or silk. Also, they don't advertise it, but the brands like Chanel and Dior have been 5 free long before it became the thing to brag about being "3 free." From my research, most of the top tier brands seem to have stopped testing on animals in 1989. Most of the pigments in nail polish are mineral based, but I did find carmine in one old Chanel purple, but the ones from the past year* have been all synthetic or mineral.

*This is only when I started seriously checking the nail polish and nothing to do with formulation changes or anything like that.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:41 am 
Discovered unobtainium

Khaki colors: khaki vert, khaki brun, khaki rose. Matching Molly was a coincidence. Really!

These colors were only available for a couple weeks, but there will probably be a flood of dupes out. I love the green. I should have bought extras to sell on ebay.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:51 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

lavawitch wrote:
Khaki colors: khaki vert, khaki brun, khaki rose. Matching Molly was a coincidence. Really!

These colors were only available for a couple weeks, but there will probably be a flood of dupes out. I love the green. I should have bought extras to sell on ebay.

Ahaha nail polish matching your bird, I love it!
I got a series of greys/taupe recently, to match my new shoes (...). Right now it's severely chipped and not in a state to be photographed, but I may contribute to this thread later.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:02 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

You guys inspired me to start wearing nail polish again. I've been polished for a few weeks now and I love it! I need to build up my nail polish collection again though, since I was bare nailed for a few years.

I might go check out the Sephora OPI collection this weekend, they have lots of nice colours.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:04 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I want to start painting my nails more, but I can never keep polish on! I had a manicure with Spa Ritual polish and it stayed longer than usual though. My default is neon pink, but I recently fell in love with "Dangerous" by OCC, even my husband wanted to wear it! http://www.occmakeup.com/nails.html

Cruelty Free Face
Morrissey Hates Murder

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:59 am 
Discovered unobtainium

melisser wrote:
I want to start painting my nails more, but I can never keep polish on! I had a manicure with Spa Ritual polish and it stayed longer than usual though. My default is neon pink, but I recently fell in love with "Dangerous" by OCC, even my husband wanted to wear it! http://www.occmakeup.com/nails.html

I feel stupid giving makeup advice to you, but have you tried making really extra thin coats?

Everytime I pay close attention to making my two coats as thin as I can, my nail last ages, but as soon as I forget and just do them, I'm back to instant chip city.

Thanks so much for your eyeshadow videos! I'm trying to learn, but can't quite do anything decent yet. I swear I am "girl" challenged.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:03 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

lavawitch wrote:
melisser wrote:

I feel stupid giving makeup advice to you, but have you tried making really extra thin coats?

Everytime I pay close attention to making my two coats as thin as I can, my nail last ages, but as soon as I forget and just do them, I'm back to instant chip city.

Thanks so much for your eyeshadow videos! I'm trying to learn, but can't quite do anything decent yet. I swear I am "girl" challenged.

No no, that's great advice! I had no clue, I'm not a polish expert by any means.

Cruelty Free Face
Morrissey Hates Murder

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:33 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

lavawitch wrote:
melisser wrote:

Thanks for that, I have a problem with instant chips as well. But I tend to glob on as much as I can per coat. Going to try this.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:40 am 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

paprikapapaya wrote:
You guys inspired me to start wearing nail polish again. I've been polished for a few weeks now and I love it! I need to build up my nail polish collection again though, since I was bare nailed for a few years.

I might go check out the Sephora OPI collection this weekend, they have lots of nice colours.

I have like five nail polishes total, but if you like OPI and have an Ulta near you, go to it. They always have buy one get one half offs on OPI and last time the lady told me they were buy two get one free, not sure if that's forever though.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:31 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

So, this thread inspired me to start wearing polishes too, and now I have a lovely raspberry and minty blue color in my possession. But I have a question: do you all shape your nails? Or do anything special to them before you paint them? I've always just clipped them really short, but I have no idea how to make my nails look pretty. I'm pretty clueless about this stuff.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:49 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

catfish wrote:
But I have a question: do you all shape your nails? Or do anything special to them before you paint them? I've always just clipped them really short, but I have no idea how to make my nails look pretty. I'm pretty clueless about this stuff.

I just clip mine short and then file them to get a "squoval" shape, like this:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:58 pm 

oops

Last edited by catfish on Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:59 pm 

Oh, that is nice! I should really try to grow mine out a bit and round them off like that, it could be a nice change. One of my roommates once remarked that my shortly clipped nails were "so 1990s" and even though that's so ridiculous, change can be good.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:29 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

i've been obsessed with navy blue polish for the past six or eight months. i haven't seen the chanel one, though--it looks beautiful! the ones i've tried so far:
1. russian navy by OPI (my absolute favorite so far--seems close to the chanel above)
2. surreal by sparitual (also great, although it's SUPER dark navy)
3. yoga-ta get this blue by OPI (not quite as 'navy' as i'd hoped)
4. twinkle by sparitual (more like a very deep turquoise; i gave it away)

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:38 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

...so, i just found the chanel blue satin on ebay for $20 + $3 shipping. is it ridiculous that i am considering an impulse buy?

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 7479 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 300  Next