| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: best vegan in Islington
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:13 pm 
Inflexitarian

What are the best food options in Islington, near the Angel station?

Post subject: Re: best vegan in Islington
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:28 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Indian Veg Bhelpoori House is probably your best bet. i've never been, but i've heard they're tasty and vegan-friendly and cheap.

there's also a new location of The Gate restaurant around there, but it's pricey and doesn't seem to have that many vegan options.

ETA: this place serves meat, but they look like they've got a pretty good vegan range.

I'm going to put my cats in a baby bjorn and be like, "LOOK WE CAN STILL HANG OUT LOOK WE'RE HAVING A PLAYDATE." - bathsheba

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:51 pm 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

If you want super close to the station Chilango does vegan burritos. There's also a Wagamama & an Itsu in the shopping centre opposite the station.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:58 pm 
Inflexitarian

Thank you Jojo and EmperorTomato. I checked and actually it looks like I'll be up Upper Street a bit, past the Almeida Theatre, so not quite at Angel. I'll definitely check out the Indian Veg place and I admit a shameless love of Wagamama. If anyone has any other ideas, let me know, as I'll be there a few days.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:14 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Keeping an eye on this thread, we're heading over next month. I'm book for a lunch at the Gate with my bestest friend, I thought the menu looked promising - but I did only glance. Hope it'll be ok.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:37 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I've been to Indian veg quite a lot. It does an eat all you want deal. You get the choice of 1 or 2 curries, dhal, different rice, some salady stuff & breads. It used to be about £4 per person but I've not been for about a year now, maybe a little longer. It is definitely more of a cafe but if it is cheap & cheerful that you are looking for with tasty food then I don't think you can beat it. Enjoy!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:41 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I visited The Gate today - they've quite a few more options on their current menu than they have on the website.

Thanks for the Banana Tree tip off - it's on the same road as The Gate and is always good to see more omni places with vegan options clearly marked.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:17 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

do they still have that little place in the N1 centre that does milkshakes? Because if so they will make you one with soy milk and soy ice cream. You can get a few vegan flavours too, like peanut butter or Fry's orange/peppermint cream. Last time I went there was a couple of years ago though, so maybe its summat else now.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:30 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

On the oposite side of the road is a Chinese buffet type place. They are vegan through and through, and I swear, meat eaters can't tell the difference, my dad will testify to that. He's been going there for years and had no idea it was vegan until I told him last week.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:05 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

I've been to the veg indian place - it was really cheap and soooo good. I needed rolling out the door at the end. :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:31 pm 
Tofu Pup

When this was part of the buddhist inspired vegetarian chain (with various names) I was a frequent patron. However now the A one buffet at Angel is no longer vegetarian. As well as a very limited range of the vegetarian buffet they previously had, they now serve meat & seafood. This was mixed in with the vegetarian dishes, so cross contamination inevitable, as well as being repulsive (whole prawns bobbing around next to the vegetarian noodles). There were also no separate preparation areas or cooking facilities for meat (which was left on the counter in full view) and vegetarian products.

Add to this the hike in price (£8.95 buffet at weekends), really poor quality food, and lack of heating (was colder inside than out in the snow, despite asking to put the heating up), this was a dire experience never to be repeated. Avoid at all costs. Many better options nearby for veggies!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:29 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

EmperorTomatoKetchup wrote:
Indian Veg Bhelpoori House is probably your best bet. i've never been, but i've heard they're tasty and vegan-friendly and cheap.

I've been there recently and it was excellent value with a good range of vegan food in the buffet :)