| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vitamix
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:38 pm 
Tofu Pup

Still confused on the model differences. QVC has one called a 'Vitamix Creations II' for only $399 ("ONLY" $399... for a blender. Sigh. What am I saying!??! Still better than $600...). Is this one a legit Vitamix? I'm less concerned with the jar size (this one is only 48 oz.), but want to be sure that the motor/blades/important stuff is the real deal. Anyone know if this baby Vitamix is worth it? Of course on the other hand if I'm going t spend $399 is is better to just go all the way to get the real deal for another $200? Thoughts? This is the link: http://www.qvc.com/Vitamix-Creations-II ... Offers-_-2

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:06 pm 
Saggy Butt

I never figured out the differences between all of the different versions. It looks like this one is on their official Vitamix web page at about $50 more with a few less extras. They also have a 5 year warrenty on both sites, were the other blenders have a 7 year one. I would think the blade, etc. has the same quality, but I didn't look into it that deeply. I think you can compare the styles on the Vitamix site.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:31 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

bmoxie1212 wrote:
Still confused on the model differences. QVC has one called a 'Vitamix Creations II' for only $399 ("ONLY" $399... for a blender. Sigh. What am I saying!??! Still better than $600...). Is this one a legit Vitamix? I'm less concerned with the jar size (this one is only 48 oz.), but want to be sure that the motor/blades/important stuff is the real deal. Anyone know if this baby Vitamix is worth it? Of course on the other hand if I'm going t spend $399 is is better to just go all the way to get the real deal for another $200? Thoughts? This is the link: http://www.qvc.com/Vitamix-Creations-II ... Offers-_-2

That's the one I got (no thermos though!) and I really like it, but I am not super adventurous or anything. Just a lot of smoothies, mostly.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:54 pm 
Tofu Pup

Ariann wrote:
The froth thing seems to be a general problem.

Check out this trick to remove froth/foam: http://joyofblending.com/how-to-remove- ... rothiness/

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:59 pm 
Tofu Pup

bmoxie1212 wrote:

The only difference about the Creations II is the length of the warranty and the pitcher volume. If you're curious about sorting out all of the different Vitamix model names, check this out: http://joyofblending.com/which-vitamix-to-buy/

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:52 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Joy of Blending - thanks!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:05 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Joy of Blending - I was just about to post your link to understanding the different models, just to find you did so already. Thank you for writing this post - it's very useful!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:16 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

FYI, I'm not a Costco member but checked out the store last week, and they had the 5200S at $375. The Costco website lists it at $500, so I imagine this was a sale...?

BTW, is it just me, or did Vitamix remove the installment plan info from their website...? I can't seem to find it any longer.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:24 pm 
Tofu Pup

Vitamix still has their installment plan, though they don't make it that easy to find on their website. Here it is:
https://secure.vitamix.com/3-payment-plan.aspx

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:27 pm 
Tofu Pup

Cornelie wrote:
I was on the same ledge, I caved and I'm still grateful to myself that I did. Yes it's insanely expensive, even more so for Europeans (we paid about 850 USD for ours), but to me it is totally worth it.

I have, in my life, bought 2 cars for less than this vitamix!

I am reading this thread coveting a vitamix, hoping to find suggestions for alternative (ie cheaper) brands but nobody is raving about anything but vitamix. My issue is also about how big it is, my NY kitchen has no space.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:30 am 
Tofu Pup

I just got my vitamix last week and it's offically my favorite thing. I named him Wendell, as I fee like he should be part of my family. I can't stop making green smoothies in it. My bf and I also made the avocado tortilla soup thats in the recipe book that it comes with and I highly recommend it

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:52 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

zhenni wrote:
I'm considering getting a (factory reconditioned) Vitamix with our income tax refund. My question is: does anyone here have one? Are they worth the money? Are they, in short, all that?

Yes - and a bag of chips.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:05 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Controversial, I know, but if I were buying again, I'd get a Blendtec, not a Vitamix.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:05 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

PSA: do not try to use your machines to blend metal utensils.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:21 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

mattomic wrote:
Controversial, I know, but if I were buying again, I'd get a Blendtec, not a Vitamix.

Why?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:43 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

lavawitch wrote:

Ha! Damn, there goes my plans for tonight. From my own experience, also avoid blending plastic utensils. Unless you like a fine plastic grit in your smoothie. Lard, that was a loud morning.

"forking vegans" ~~linanil

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:16 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Invictus wrote:
lavawitch wrote:

Ha! Damn, there goes my plans for tonight. From my own experience, also avoid blending plastic utensils. Unless you like a fine plastic grit in your smoothie. Lard, that was a loud morning.

At least with plastic, you live to blend another day.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:21 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I've got friends who have Blendtecs (raw food chefs etc), who prefer it, and after seeing theirs - I just feel it works a lot better, the shape is better (for blending, pouring, cleaning), and it's just a preference. I also don't like using the tamper, and it pushed through the plastic the other day and blended into my smoothie. It also peas me off a bit that Vitamix stole so much of their stuff from Blendtec - they ended up having to pay a $1M settlement (or similar) that Blendtec then put towards giving their existing customers new jars... Wish I knew before I bought!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:56 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

i once left the little translucent plastic center cap thing inside the canister, and absentmindedly blended it for a few seconds.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:25 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

mattomic wrote:
I've got friends who have Blendtecs (raw food chefs etc), who prefer it, and after seeing theirs - I just feel it works a lot better, the shape is better (for blending, pouring, cleaning), and it's just a preference. I also don't like using the tamper, and it pushed through the plastic the other day and blended into my smoothie. It also peas me off a bit that Vitamix stole so much of their stuff from Blendtec - they ended up having to pay a $1M settlement (or similar) that Blendtec then put towards giving their existing customers new jars... Wish I knew before I bought!

Yep, and I was the recipient of one of those blender jars! I thought it was pretty cool of them to do that.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:35 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Does anyone know if the blendtec does dry seed grinding (like flax) and nut butters? Sadly, there's not a single Vitamix model that would fit in the height space I have allotted.

I would also need to ditch my food processor to make room for a high tech blender. Comments above suggest people are using both appliances. What can't the fancy blender do that a food processor can?

Also for those outside the USA thinking about the heating element (independent of motor/blade heat), I believe the Thermomix does that (similar to the Cuisinart linked above). Thermomix would seem to be ideal for my size and interests but it's not sold in the US. My Australian sister-in-law has one and loves it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:25 am 
Discovered unobtainium

You can get 32 and 48 ounce jars for the Vitamix.

Food processor blades are shaped differently and are better at chopping, etc. if you only ever use your food processor for things like hummus or sauce or puréed, I don't suppose you would need both, but cleaning hummus out of a Vitamix jar isn't all that much fun.

It does take up space; I'd stash it somewhere. It's actually not that heavy to move around, but it is bulky and tall. If we do keep it on the counter, the jar is still kept somewhere else.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:19 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I would definitely be stashing it somewhere, but the "somewhere" has a height restriction of 15". With Vitamix I'd have to keep the base separate from either jar I believe. I definitely wouldn't have room then for my 20 year old food processor, which I basically think of as "hummus maker" that occasionally does pesto or other purees. The blendtec might just squeeze into the height space with jar in place.

I have a mini chopper attachment for my hand blender, so I could still chop onions that way, which is easier than dragging out the food processor anyway. I do most of my chopping with a knife.

Also, could I toss my juicer? If making smoothies, do people throw all their fruit in there or does it need extra liquid like juice? My juicer is an extractor type and it's rare the day I would make juice and then get out another device to make it into a smoothie. Sorry for all these naive questions!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:12 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I throw a little water in my smoothies to get it pourable. Maybe 1/2 cup. I never thrown juice in, the thing is full of fruit/veg as it is.

"forking vegans" ~~linanil

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:47 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

thanks, I usually do anything to avoid a heavy sell job, but I troubled myself finally to watch some of those infomercial type videos so I'm starting to get the basic idea. Still on the fence regarding the overall cost/benefit analysis!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next