| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 689 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 28  Next
 Post subject: Re: Sweet dreams (advice/questions about kid sleep)
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:09 pm 
***LIES!!!***

It was a simultaneously awesome and bleh playdate - kind of a weird mix of folks who mostly didn't know each other, hoping to improve with time. Anyways - she is totally content when she's awake. In those three hours she learned to jump on the bed and actually clear it! I mean, she's exhausted, so she falls down a lot and does stupid things, but she's happy to be up.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:09 pm 
Semen Strong

Quote:
Posted on another board:

Have a baby who won't sleep? Read this, you'll get a laugh. It's a baby conspiracy, lol

How to Stop Mummy Sleeping Through the Night!

OK, here's my situation. My Mummy has had me for almost 7 months. The first few months were great. I cried, she picked me up and fed me, anytime, day or night. Then something happened.

Over the last few weeks, she has been trying to STTN (sleep through the night). At first, I thought it was just a phase, but it is only getting worse. I've talked to other babies, and it seems like its pretty common after Mummies have had us for around 6 months.

Here's the thing: these Mummies don't really need to sleep. Its just a habit. Many of them have had some 30 years to sleep and they just don't need it anymore. So I am implementing a plan. I call it the
Crybaby Shuffle. It goes like this:

Night 1: cry every 3 hours until you get fed. I know, its hard. Its hard to see your
Mummy upset over your crying. Just keep reminding yourself, its for her own good.

Night 2: cry every 2 hours until you get fed.

Night 3: every hour. Most Mummies will start to respond more quickly after about 3 nights. Some Mummies are more alert, and may resist the change longer. These Mummies may stand in your doorway for hours, shhhh-ing. Don’t give in. I cannot stress this enough: CONSISTENCY IS KEY!! If you let her STTN (sleep through the night), just once, she will expect it every night. I KNOW ITS HARD! But she really doesn’t need the sleep, she’s just resisting the change.

If you have an especially alert Mummy, you can stop crying for about 10 minutes, just long enough for her to go back to bed and start to fall asleep. Then cry again. It WILL eventually work. My Mummy once stayed awake for 10 hours straight, so I know she can do it. Last night, I cried every hour. You just have to decide to stick to it and just go for it. BE CONSISTENT!

I cried for any reason I could come up with. My sleep sack tickled my foot. I felt a wrinkle under the sheet. My mobile made a shadow on the wall. I burped, and it tasted like pears. I hadn’t eaten pears since lunch, what’s up with that? The cat said "meow". I should know. My Mummy reminds me of this about 20 times a day. LOL. Once I cried just because I liked how it sounded when it echoed on the monitor in the other room. Too hot, too cold, just right - doesn’t matter! Keep crying!! It took awhile, but it worked. She fed me at 4am. Tomorrow night, my goal is 3:30am. You need to slowly shorten the interval between feedings in order to reset your Mummies internal clocks.

Sometimes my Mummy will call for reinforcements by sending in Daddy. Don’t worry, Daddies are not set up for not needing sleep the way Mummies are. They can only handle a few pats and shhing before they declare defeat and send in the Mummy.

Also, be wary of the sleep sheep with rain noises. I like to give Mummy false hope that listening to the rain puts me to sleep sometimes I pretend to close my eyes and be asleep and then wait until I know Mummy is settling back to sleep to spring a surprise cry attack. If she doesn’t get to me fast enough I follow up with my fake cough and gag noise that always has her running to the crib.

At some point I am positive she will start to realise that she really doesn’t really need sleep.

P.S. Don’t let those rubber things fool you, no matter how long you suck on them, no milk will come out. Trust me.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:16 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Very funny, t-lish

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:06 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Ah, asleep within an hour. And we took an amazing 2.5 hour nap this afternoon together (which I pretty much never woke up from, spent most of the rest of the day trying to sleep on the couch, nobody would let me do it). Now it's hot bath and book time for Mama.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:18 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I did a 24 hour shift on Friday and was so worried about my poor partner being up all night, since he had to go to work in the morning as soon as I got home. Scarlett only woke up twice all night-- once he gave her a bottle and the other time she just went back to sleep on her own. I'm happy for him, but what the fizzle! Either it's my boobs that are waking her up all night or maybe my partner just sleeps more soundly and she was actually waking up every hour but he didn't notice. I'm tired.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:48 am 
Semen Strong

I've read that babies go through 2 hour sleep cycles and that as they cycle through they have periods where they are more susceptible to waking. Perhaps smelling milk makes her wake.

A friend of mine had something similar - her kid sleeps through the night happily if she is at a hotel or out, but wakes up every few hours for milk if she is there.

So glad everything went well for Scarlett and that you made it through a long shift!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:57 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I caved and brought the kid into my bed at 3am when she woke up for snuggles/bottle. Whoops. My husband is on a hiking trip for the weekend and I was unamused about the idea of snuggling in her bed and falling asleep there. She woke up SMILING like she was about as happy as she could possibly be about where she was finding herself. Ugh. Whoops again.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:59 pm 
Semen Strong

Awwwwz Malka!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:28 pm 

I would cave too. The path of least resistant and most cuddles...

We are having fussy teething issues this weekend. She keeps waking up and then she's crabby. The only cute thing about it is that she is tucking her top lip under her teeth and into her mouth so she looks like an old man with without dentures.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:52 am 

Ugh. Teeth here too. So much nipple pulling that I've checked to make sure they're still attached.

Ariann, I think having a sleepy husband in our big bed is all that keeps me from pulling freya in there.

Good god I'm tired. Y'all with more than one kid are superheroes!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:27 am 
Semen Strong

I have so much knee pain that it takes me a long time to fall asleep and just as I do, L starts screaming. I don't know what is worse, just staying awake with knee pain or falling asleep for a few minutes of respite to be jolted awake by screaming. Argharghargh! I need some sleep kiddo!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:42 am 
***LIES!!!***

I've honestly really been missing Malka in the big bed. It's harder for me to fall asleep without her and I miss touching her in my sleep. But having her out has been really good for my marriage so far. I think the marriage has to win this one.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:57 am 
Semen Strong

After a hard night, I got the sweetest smile from L, who then asked for a hug, so I was so touched I went to nug her. She shook her head no and said "Papa!". Minx :)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:24 am 

After she finally settled down last night, she slept until 8:24! Heavenly.

Tofulish, I hope your knee feels better soon.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:55 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Grey thought it would be awesome to not sleep on the red eye last night.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:29 am 
Chip Strong

Oh no! I was wondering how your flight went. I hope you get a break today.

Ada was up from 12-2ish for some reason last night. Andy tried so hard to get her back to sleep but eventually she ended up in bed with me. I must have fallen asleep while she was still squirming around because I woke up to a loud thump this morning . She fell asleep at the foot of the bed and rolled off this morning. Whoops.

Last edited by sashi on Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:30 am 
Chip Strong

Whoops. Double post.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:41 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

He is sleeping now, but my body doesn't want to sleep, erg. My mom will take him later so I can sleep, really need to shower!

Sorry about Ada! Grey did basically the same thing a couple weeks ago!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:47 am 
Semen Strong

We had something similar Sashi - we have high baby rails and somehow she threw herself over them and dropped three feet onto the hard wood floor. No harm, no blood and she seemed fine 5 minutes later. But man was that nervewracking. Plus its a space of less than a food between the bed and a sharp radiator cover that she completely missed.

How is Ada feeling? Is it pneumonia? How are you doing?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:05 pm 

Eek....babies falling. Good thing they have hard heads!

Sashi, Ada might have pneumonia? I saw your FB post about chowing down at the restaurant, so I thought y'all were doing better.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:51 pm 
Chip Strong

Oh yeah, Ada cried for a couple of min but I think it was more of the shock of being woken by the fall.

It ends up its not pneumonia! (The doctor thought it sounded like it last week when she listened to her chest.) But she's still got something going on. Mostly congestion it seems but there's still a little coughing and a funny noise. Hopefully it clears up in the next couple of days so we don't have to go back to the doctor. I can't figure out how to not get her to cry the minute we get into an exam room. Besides that she's her normal nonstop self :-) I'm much better too.
Refinnej, I was chowing down on Thai food...by myself! I think it was the first time I went into manhattan alone in who knows how long. I even read a book while eating, and then went shopping for new boots. It was lovely, and really weird not having to entertain a toddler on the subway.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:22 am 
Semen Strong

Today was just shitty for sleep. She didn't nap despite an hour of tries, as in me putting her in my carrier and rocking her, which always works, and was overexhausted all day. She crashed at 7pm and then at 9:30pm miraculously resurrected. Then followed 3.5hrs of trying to put her back to sleep. Its 1 am and she is out cold. Every single time she heard a noise, she'd start yelling Papapapapa! Frick on a stick with a brick

How do I make this child nap?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:50 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

After not sleeping really at all Sunday night, grey napped 3.5 hours yesterday, went to bed at 9 EST (6 PST), woke up around 2 and is still sleeping at nearly 8. I just had the best night of sleep.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:00 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Awesome LB!!!

Pretty much it seems all of you guys co-slept. But did anybody who wasn't a co-sleeper have a swaddled baby? My 6 month old WILL NOT sleep unless he is swaddled and he is now so strong I can't keep him swaddled at all. We probably reswaddle 5-10 times at night now...it is getting so old. The parenting sites all say to swaddle with one arm free for a few nights, and then move on to both arms free...but he just wails and cries and does not sleep if his isn't pinioned down. My pedi recommended wrapping an ACE bandage around his swaddle but I really am afraid I will get it too tight and cut off circulation, or too loose and have 6 feet of elastic wrap floating around his crib. I am looking as some of the "swaddle transition" products but at $40 a pop I just don't know. Anyone been in this situation and have advice?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:42 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

annasrobbie, Lucy was not a co-sleeper and needed swaddled. We always used a miracle blanket for her. It was freaking awesome - like a baby straight jacket that was rarely broken. I highly recommend it, but I know it's generally recommended to stop swaddling once they can roll over, so you might be approaching that point? I wish I had advice for transitioning. We just cut the swaddle cold turkey when she outgrew it, and she was fine....(total miracle, if you ask me)

Oh - Charlie desperately needed swaddling at day care. What worked to get him to sleep without it (he outgrew the miracle blanket at around 6 or 7 months) was putting him to sleep on his belly. I know I'm the worst parent in the world, but it worked.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 689 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 28  Next