| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Super cheap American Apparel stuff on Amazon
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:19 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I posted this in the leggings discussion the other day, but I thought it might also be of interest to folks who weren't necessarily looking at that thread. American Apparel has a bunch of random stuff marked down to crazy-cheap prices on Amazon, so if you like that brand it might be worth a look. The discounts are only on certain colors and sizes for each item, but if you have time to play around you might find some good stuff... I got a ton of stuff, plus I saw a bunch of other things that weren't my size/colors I liked etc. Most of it isn't prime-eligible but you still get free shipping at $50.

Link: All clothing/accessories (sorted low to high price)

If anyone is curious, I was able to get the following for $51 shipped:

-American Apparel Fine Jersey Long Sleeve T X-Large-Mint ($5)
-American Apparel Rib Racerback Dress X-Large-Raspberry ($5)
-American Apparel Thick-Knit Jersey Skirt X-Large-Black ($3)
-American Apparel Baby Thermal Legging X-Large-Purple ($5)
-American Apparel The Sash -Asphalt ($4)
-American Apparel Cotton Spandex Jersey Straight Leg Yoga Pant X-Large-Evergreen ($5)
-American Apparel Sheer Rib Long Sleeve Turtleneck X-Large-Cranberry ($5)
-American Apparel Piqué Bloomer Medium-Navy ($2)
-American Apparel Sheer Rib 3/4 Sleeve V-Neck X-Large-Sea Foam ($5)
-American Apparel Women's Unisex Highlighter Thermal Long Sleeve T XXX-Large-Fluorescent Orange ($3)
-American Apparel Women's Unisex Solid Rib Vest X-Large-Navy ($5)
-American Apparel Women's Unisex Helvetica Alphabet T-Shirt Large-White / Black Uu($3)
-American Apparel Timeco Plastic Mondrian Wristwatch -Clear / Orange ($1)

(Obviously it's Amazon/clearance, so prices can change at anytime...)

Post subject: Re: Super cheap American Apparel stuff on Amazon
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:26 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

I found a few things! :) Great xmas gifts can be found here as well! :)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:53 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

Whoa thanks! I got a bunch of stuff.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:32 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I have a question about American Apparel tees. Do they shrink? I'm debating which size I need...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:36 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

depends on if they are 100% cotton or not. the blend ones don't shrink too much, but the 100% cotton ones do. Also, they run really small. So if you've never bought american apparel before, check your measurements. In normal womens stuff, I wear a large and an XXL in american apparel.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:42 pm 

ijustdiedinside wrote:
depends on if they are 100% cotton or not. the blend ones don't shrink too much, but the 100% cotton ones do. Also, they run really small. So if you've never bought american apparel before, check your measurements. In normal womens stuff, I wear a large and an XXL in american apparel.

I did check the measurements (I always do - I have clothing marked anything between size S and XL) and according to them an M would be perfect. Hence my question if it shrinks since I don't want to end up with a too tight shirt. The one I want (printed on by another company) is the women's fine jersey one.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:54 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

i'd definitely plan on some shrinking, but check if it's 100% cotton. Those shrink quite a bit.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:02 pm 

It is 100% cotton. I think I'll go with a size L (hopefully it doesn't shrink more than one size). I guess it's a good thing they make them really long then? Too short shirts are even worse than too tight ones! Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:50 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I was just trying to explain to my boyfriend how annoying a too-short shirt can be, especially if you have a big chest which makes it ride up. Nothing like the small of your back getting wind-chapped!

Anyway, yeah, ijustdiedinside's advice is spot-on. I've always had to order a size or two up from American Apparel, so go by the measurement charts. The 100% cotton will probably shrink, but I doubt it'll shrink more than a size! Let us know how you make out. Some of the stuff I got was 100% cotton, so after it arrives I'll be sure to share if there are any odd sizing/shrinking experiences.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:45 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I wear a small or medium in most women's clothing, and I'm a comfortably fitted medium in AA. Large is just a little bigger than I prefer.

I'm probably late, but hope that helps.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:03 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

So as an update to this, I got my stuff and have had a chance to evaluate. American Apparel sizing is sort of weird because they tend to run smaller (but longer) than most other brands. I'm about 5'5"/160 lbs and usually would wear a size medium to large in most things like tops/leggings/etc. Here are my thoughts on what I got:

Things that fit me fine:
-American Apparel Fine Jersey Long Sleeve T X-Large-Mint
-American Apparel Rib Racerback Dress X-Large-Raspberry
-American Apparel Thick-Knit Jersey Skirt X-Large-Black
-American Apparel Sheer Rib Long Sleeve Turtleneck X-Large-Cranberry (My fave of the batch, I actually ordered 2 more!)
-American Apparel Sheer Rib 3/4 Sleeve V-Neck X-Large-Sea Foam

Things that fit oddly:
-American Apparel Piqué Bloomer Medium/L-Navy: This fit me fine around the asparagus/hips but the elastic around my thighs was too tight. Maybe I just have big thighs, but it's something to consider if you don't have super-skinny legs.
-American Apparel Women's Unisex Highlighter Thermal Long Sleeve T XXX-Large-Fluorescent Orange: I got this in 3XL because I wanted it to be oversized on me, and it is, but it seems a little short to me as far as something that size would go. It's not an issue for me because I am using it as a sleep shirt, but if this is your actual size and you have a large bust this may be something to be wary of.
-American Apparel Unisex Solid Rib Vest X-Large-Navy: I got this for a guy who is about 6'2"/190 lbs and it fit him fine, but there was a weird amount of excess armhole. I don't know how else to describe it. He's been wearing it, but it can look a bit oddly loose underneath the arms.
-American Apparel Unisex Helvetica Alphabet T-Shirt Large-White / Black Uu: I got this for the same guy. It fits him fine around the chest, but is surprisingly long, especially considering how tall he is.
-American Apparel Cotton Spandex Jersey Straight Leg Yoga Pant X-Large-Evergreen: These are nice and stretchy and fit me around the butt, but are wayyyyy too long for me. If you wear an American Apparel XL and are a couple inches taller this will probably be a better fit.
-American Apparel Baby Thermal Legging X-Large-Purple: Just FYI: these shrink a little bit. These were also way too long on me, and the crotch is sort of weirdly loose while the legs have the right amount of tightness. They're super-soft and cozy though. I wouldn't wear these out of the house, but they are making superb pajama bottoms. :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:56 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

I got the yoga pants too, and found they fit well enough for at-home yoga pants. I would never wear cotton yoga pants our of the house. I'm 5' 5" and found that they're a bit long, but I guess since they're never leaving my apartment it doesn't matter too much.

I also got the lawn tee and lawn tank and they fit great.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:46 am 

Nebraskalaska wrote:
I got the yoga pants too, and found they fit well enough for at-home yoga pants. I would never wear cotton yoga pants our of the house. I'm 5' 5" and found that they're a bit long, but I guess since they're never leaving my apartment it doesn't matter too much.

It's all about proportions, though. What's long? I have a long torso so my inseam is only 32", or rather because my body can never be a whole anything it's actually 32.5" which is highly annoying. I was jeans hunting earlier and came to the conclusion that 32" usually works for skinnies, which is all I can find in the shops anyway (but isn't what I'm currently looking for. Damn you Sweden for only selling things that are currently trendy. This is also why I'm ordering T-shirts from America because apparently clothes are supposed to be transparent now? Do not want). For other jeans I need to find a brand with eh generous length inches... One would think that an inch is an inch, but no, apparently not so. A long time ago I had good luck with Lee, but then they switched to odd numbered lengths and I was screwed because 33" is too long and 31" is definitely too short.

Back to T-shirts, I just got an e-mail that my shirt has shipped. I'm on the edge of my seat to see if it'll fit right. It's coming all the way from 'merica so I guess I'll have to wait a week or so.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:53 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

Okay, I'm soooo upset right now... I have spent like two hours looking through the list deciding what to get. I got so excited as the prices are so low. And suddenly... it doesn't ship to my country. The whole order is unavailable. This combined with really crappy PMS is not fun.

fruitbat, did it work for you? (I recall you live/lived in Sweden)

EDIT: My short term memory i terrible! You even mentioned the shipping to Sweden. How did you manage to get them to ship to here? They denied both of the two addresses I wrote in the billing address field.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:47 pm 

Helix wrote:
fruitbat, did it work for you? (I recall you live/lived in Sweden)

Amazon doesn't ship things here other than books (true for both .com and .co.uk, though .de will ship) as far as I know. I wasn't ordering from Amazon, just an American company that uses shirts made by American Apparel (and the shirt turned out to be the right size, I love it).

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:22 pm 
Tofu Pup

I know it says "lower price available on select options", but how do you know which ones? : P I've been playing around with everything but have no idea how to buy the shirt for 2 dollars instead of 18 dollars. I don't see that option anywhere in the checkout process (and I've gone through all colors and sizes).

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:54 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I had to play around with it a lot to find the cheap ones. I think sometimes the cheapo option is sold out but they don't update the part which says "options from $2-$30" or whatever, which can be annoying. Sometimes it's a matter of really being sure you've clicked on the size/color option, because it won't display if you just mouse over. Needlessly complicated! I'm still enjoying the cheapo shirts and leggings I got a few months back, so it was worth messing around with it to me.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:42 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

You just have to play around with it. I only click on the sizes I can wear and the colors I like, so it's not really an issue.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:32 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

there is also some cheap stuff on the german amazon site

then i remembered i don't want to support amazon and/or AA, so yeah... i still need gym clothes...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:19 am 
Tofu Pup

I'm interested in a number of the items you have for sale. Where can I come to see them as I live in Abbotsford?