| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 191 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Take your b12
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:21 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Multivitamins containing iron always made me nauseous. My blood iron is normal, so I take Deva iron-free multivitamins, but only half a tablet a day, I don't need more.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:25 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

lepelaar wrote:
I've been taking this brand for a few years. I keep it on the counter in the kitchen and just pop one on my breakfast plate when making breakfast, so I always remember to take it. (Usually 2-3 times a week.) It's Cyanocobalamin, which I had read from both Ginny Messina and Jack Norris is the most reliable form, but now I see in the link that Ariann provided that it might not be the best form if you've got kidney problems. Once I've finished the bottle I just ordered, I'll look into switching to a methylcobalamin, but I don't like the idea that it's not as stable or well-regulated. :(

I use this supplement, but not every day, 2-3 times a week (in addition to 1/2 a tablet Deva multivitamins I take every day):
http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/now/b-12.html

2000 micrograms, 70% Cyanocobalamin, 15% Methylcobalamin, 15% Dibencozide

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:48 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I use this guy for iron, which comes highly recommended, but my stomach rejects them just like the other stuff. It's so weird. http://www.amazon.com/Megafood-Blood-Bu ... B000F4ZRCC

Maybe I should try half tablets.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:14 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

vijita wrote:
I have the deva one too, but lately all vitamins are hurting my stomach, so I've been lax about them again. Fork, I need to shape up! I took my multi on an empty stomach the other day and it made me puke. I guess it's "see a doctor" time. The brutal thing is trying to take them gradually throughout the day, because I'm supplementing pretty heavily these days due to anemia and other crepe, but I am the most forgetful person in the world when it comes to vitamins. I love when someone bumps this thread because I immediately pop a B12 and whatever else I've been putting off.

If you have a smart phone there are apps that will remind you to take them. If not, do you have a phone that can set multiple alarms in a day?

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:09 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I'm not sure if you've all seen it, but contrary to past advice - we're now being advised to in most cases take cyanocobalamin, not methylcobalamin. Jack Norris has the scoop here: http://jacknorrisrd.com/?p=3383

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:39 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

If I take a vitamin every day, drink fortified soymilk, and have no symptoms of deficiency, is it terribly unsafe for me to assume that my levels are fine? I hate having my blood drawn.

So embarrassing!" -just mumbles

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:44 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

That's the policy I live by, I've only been checked once and it was normal. I don't mind drawing blood but I'm just not in a position where I can take off work unless absolutely necessary, and a b12 test isn't covered by my insurance so it's not like a harmless freebie that I'm putting off needlessly. Hell, I only just went to the dentist for the first time in six years.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:57 pm 
Tofu Pup

Just recently I've begun to evolve from being vegetarian to vegan and have begun taking b12. Is there such a thing as taking too much? I got a bottle of vegan b complex from TJ's and it has 50 mcg of b12 which is 833% of your daily amount- that just seems like a lot. Not to mention that my urine is fluorescent :/

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:17 pm 
Nailed to the V

I am so glad I came across this thread!! I am buying b12 on my way home from work today! Thanks everyone - there's great info here!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:58 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

CaitiS615 wrote:
Just recently I've begun to evolve from being vegetarian to vegan and have begun taking b12. Is there such a thing as taking too much? I got a bottle of vegan b complex from TJ's and it has 50 mcg of b12 which is 833% of your daily amount- that just seems like a lot. Not to mention that my urine is fluorescent :/

I haven't come across anything about toxicity from B12, but you should be aware that B6 (which is likely present in your B-complex supplement) toxicity is possible, resulting in nerve damage. Is rare, but it does happen. I'm not sure what doses are necessary to be at risk.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:12 pm 
Tofu Pup

Beanitarian wrote:
CaitiS615 wrote:

I haven't come across anything about toxicity from B12, but you should be aware that B6 (which is likely present in your B-complex supplement) toxicity is possible, resulting in nerve damage. Is rare, but it does happen. I'm not sure what doses are necessary to be at risk.

From what I've briefly read, it seems okay to take anything under 300 mcg/daily and this only has 50 mcg. It says if I experience any limb numbness to stop the vitamins. :/

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:44 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

CaitiS615 wrote:

The more b12 you take at a time, the lower percentage of it you absorb.

Here's everything you ever wanted to know about b12: http://www.veganhealth.org/articles/vitaminb12

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:47 am 
Tofu Pup

mollyjade wrote:
CaitiS615 wrote:

The more b12 you take at a time, the lower percentage of it you absorb.

Here's everything you ever wanted to know about b12: http://www.veganhealth.org/articles/vitaminb12

Thanks for the link!!

I looked up the amount of b12 in both the deva multi-vitamin as well as the b12 supplement and trader joe's has less than both of those, and what I considered to be a bit high.

Also, I didn't read too much into it but I came across something saying that women on contraceptive's may need to take more b6 due to the bc stopping your body from absorbing it?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:56 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

B6 is required for progesterone synthesis and taking it helps regulate your luteal phase (the part between ovulation and your period) so that kind of makes sense, since that's the part of your cycle where progesterone is released. taking birth control makes your body think it's pregnant, so i guess it keeps releasing progesterone, which in turn takes the B6 away from other bodily functions. (it's good for lots of different functions:) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitamin_B6 ... eutic_uses

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:22 am 
Tofu Pup

http://nutritionfacts.org/video/vegan-epidemic/

I live in London! I need more B12!!!!!!!

This really scared me, I'm forgetting all kinds of stuff lately, I...forget what I was going to....

TAKE YOUR B12!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:54 am 

New tactic: I keep my B12 and Iron pills in the car, and take them on both my morning and evening commutes. That means I'm taking them after breakfast and just before dinner, and so far, the iron hasn't made me sick for a couple of days. Fingers crossed!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:09 am 
Nailed to the V

Very low levels of B12 can cause dementia in elderly people. Happened to my mil.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:40 pm 

Ahh, vijita, but wouldn't the heat affect the vitamins? (I thought b vitamins were very unstable)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:35 am 

mattomic wrote:
Ahh, vijita, but wouldn't the heat affect the vitamins? (I thought b vitamins were very unstable)

Heat? Ha. Friend, this is winter in Canada. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:48 am 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

mrsbadmouth wrote:
Brian's dad got nerve damage from B12 deficiency, he had to get the shots in the asparagus but the damage is done. He's a lifelong meat eater.

It's really interesting how that happens! Does anyone here know more about whether inability to properly absorb B12 is common thing? I just ask because I was first diagnosed with a deficiency as an omni. When I went vegan I made sure to eat nooch and take supplements but I should really get tested again to make sure I'm ok. My sister is deficient and apparently my cousins are too. Also, an older member of our family had Lupus, which I know is an autoimmune disease but I don't know if it's linked to B12 at all.

I just hope I'm absorbing what I'm taking in.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:21 am 
WRETCHED

Veglicious wrote:
mrsbadmouth wrote:
Brian's dad got nerve damage from B12 deficiency, he had to get the shots in the asparagus but the damage is done. He's a lifelong meat eater.

It's really interesting how that happens! Does anyone here know more about whether inability to properly absorb B12 is common thing? I just ask because I was first diagnosed with a deficiency as an omni. When I went vegan I made sure to eat nooch and take supplements but I should really get tested again to make sure I'm ok. My sister is deficient and apparently my cousins are too. Also, an older member of our family had Lupus, which I know is an autoimmune disease but I don't know if it's linked to B12 at all.

I heard that it was a concern for older people, I found this but it is fairly old, not sure if there are updated estimates:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10448529
Quote:
Vitamin B12 deficiency is estimated to affect 10%-15% of people over the age of 60

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:47 am 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

Veglicious wrote:
mrsbadmouth wrote:

There are a number of conditions/situations that can affect vitamin B12 absorption.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:19 pm 

Ahh, we're in Australia. Even our rock salt is melting at the moment.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:12 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Veglicious wrote:

I don't know how common it is but my brother and I were both diagnosed as B12 deficient as omnis in our early thirties. I thought in my case that it may have been caused by my last pregnancy (during and after which my body went loopy) but it may be genetically linked or a symptom of a bigger issue. We were tested for other things but nothing showed up. It is a malabsorption problem in our case.

I take a sublingual B12 every day but he takes a swallowed pill and says that works for him. I think the new research shows that swallowing a high dose B12 does work as well as sublingual. My neighbour was diagnosed in his 60s and had shots but I am not sure if they do that any more.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:01 am 
WRETCHED

They definitely do shots if you are really low and need to catch up or if pills/sublinguals aren't working well.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 191 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next