| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: London
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:01 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

Veg Out (on Richmond) is AWESOME. All vegan, with gluten free and raw options. They use organic whenever possible and always have desserts. Their ceasar salad is the best vegan version. Love the seitan steak, summer nachos and always have fresh salads. The woman who runs the restaurant is always very nice and I'll always return. I've only had one thing I didn't LOVE, and always really liked everything else.

There is also a new place called Organic Works (222 Wellington? It might be 222 Horton.. its on the corner of the two streets) that offers vegan and gluten free baked goods and sandwiches, soups, salad and pizza. Very tasty!

Also, Little Panda restaurant on Wharncliffe has really fantastic Pad Thai and their veggie fried rice, broccoli and mushroom dish is one of the best things I've eaten, ever.

Post subject: Re: London
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:56 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

Hey, I'm in London, too! Veg Out is my absolute favourite. It's such a comfort for me to go (my husband and I live within a 10 minute walk) and get the "fish" and chips, it's my favourite.

I've been to Organic Works a couple times and was underwhelmed by their baked goods both times. I guess I just expect a cinnamon bun to have more than a teaspoon of icing on it, plus the bun itself was pretty dry and meh. But I'm going to try some of their other stuff sometime.

Want a cheap plate of Indian for lunch? The New Delhi Deli in the market is awesome. The lady is SO SWEET! And she knows what vegan is and makes a huge plate of vegan curries for 7 bucks.

We've got it really good (compared to other SW Ontario cities, not compared to NYC or Portland), and it's getting better all the time.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:51 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

Organic works has really good cakes and the chocolate oat squares are insane. I have a hard time with gluten free things but really liked the scones. I agree the cinnamon buns are awful. Dry hard and dense as fork. I love the carrot cake though!

Ben Tahn is good too, the coconut Thai soup is good and they have some good drinks that can be made without dairy.

Somebody told me that Braise has a good bean curd thingie. She described it as a "cloud of taste" and said it was amazing. I've not been there though.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:00 pm 

Apparently Sweet Lemon is opening up a storefront downtown this spring!
http://www.sweetlemonbakery.com/
Right now they're just in the Western Fair farmer's market which is only open on Saturdays.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:02 pm 

Oh and Alex Homeopathy (bad name for it being a health food store) in the Covent Garden Market has Sweets From the Earth vegan treats in their fridge. Rocky road bars, brownies, caramel bars. And they have Virgil's root beer! + a bunch of staple items.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:47 am 

The Early Bird has opened up by the John Labatt Centre and has a Beer Battered Tofu sandwich. You can replace the miso mayo with a grainy mustard and it's really good. Not a vegan-friendly place really, but there is at least that you can eat. Oh, and they have a vegan soup each day.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:39 am 

The Church Key does a great brunch on the weekends, with a complimentary bread basket with muffins and stuff in it. They used to have vegan option that changed each weekend, but I guess there wasn't enough interest for it, but if you call/email ahead and tell them you're coming, they'll make you an amazing breakfast and make sure the muffins and breads in the basket are vegan. SO GOOD.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:59 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

paprikapapaya wrote:
Apparently Sweet Lemon is opening up a storefront downtown this spring!
http://www.sweetlemonbakery.com/
Right now they're just in the Western Fair farmer's market which is only open on Saturdays.

Looks like their store opens on June 26!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:15 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

I've been to Sweet Lemon a few times and can vouch that it's pretty yumm!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:24 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

The sushi place in St Thomas has separate fryers for meats, seafood and veggies so if their tempura doesn't have egg in it, that would be vegan as well. (I just read that some tempura is made with egg. I'd always thought it was just flour and water so have been eating it from Akita) I'll ask next time I go in and report back :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:44 pm 

Great time for a bump, Garnett.
I was just at Jambalaya in London (Dundas/Talbot) on the weekend and they have a vegan menu. I had the Malaysian open-faced roti and it was so fantastic.

I didn't know that about tempura...and I've been eating it for years :(

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:51 pm 
Tofu Pup

Hi! I'm from London too and hope there are still some Londoners on this site. I began adopting a vegan lifestyle about 3 weeks ago. Went to Black Trumpet this weekend, and they were very accommodating!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:13 pm 

Hi Shelleyanne, welcome! I'm still on the site, and still in London :) Congrats on going vegan, that's great! I really find London to be really great for the size of city it is for vegan stuff. I have always avoided Black Trumpet thinking it wouldn't be vegan-friendly...thanks for the tip!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:49 pm 

Rumour has it that Marky's Crepes can make a vegan crepe if you call ahead and ask...!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:42 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I've never been to London, but I just saw the TVA post about the Meatless Market on Facebook!

http://www.themeatlessmarket.com/

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 9:01 am 
Chard Martyr

My little sister just moved to London from Montreal, and I'm going to visit her in September. I haven't spent much time at all in Ontario--just a brief visit to Toronto, so I'm stoked! It sounds like you guys have a nice little vegan thing going.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:11 pm 
Tofu Pup

Hey lobsteriffic,
meatless market is great! Huge selection, it is the only place I've found plain tempeh.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:58 pm 

I always forget this thread exists! oops. Vijita, did you come here yet? I wanna meet you if you do!

Fresh n Wolfe is advertising a ton of vegan options lately! I've had a few things and they've all been so good. I know the owners, and they're really good guys, and making delicious food is definitely their passion.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:09 am 
Chard Martyr

paprikapapaya wrote:
I always forget this thread exists! oops. Vijita, did you come here yet? I wanna meet you if you do!

Not yet! I wanna meet too! My sister is moving to St. John's for her internship but I think she'll return to London for at least a little while. I might come out in the spring...probably April? Depending on work. I just hung out with her in Massachusetts and London sounds pretty cool!

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]