| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2616 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65 ... 105  Next
 Post subject: Re: Baby & Kid Updates Thread
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:29 pm 
Semen Strong

Where does it say the height limit (sorry if this is dumb)? Ours Graco keyfit 30 - has a weight limit (up to 30lbs) only, I think (unless I am missing something) and L is about 25 so we're close. I just love the convenience so much. Even yesterday, she fell asleep and we got an extra 20 mins of napping by moving the seat inside. She is probably just over 30" atm.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:58 pm 
Married to the wolfman

We have the Keyfit 30 too (and I love that thing so much, though it weighs a zillion pounds) and I found the height specification in the manual. (Linked here: http://www.chiccousa.com/Files/pdf/prod ... ns3_00.pdf)

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:35 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I think we switched Malka's carseat when she was around 28-29". She may not have been maxing out the height limit, but she just seemed cramped and it was a total revelation when we switched to the rear-facing convertible because she was suddenly soooo happy. Then that seemed too cramped because her legs are kind of squished up against the back seat, so now she's forward facing, although she's nowhere near the 30lb. benchmark (she's like 22lb).

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:46 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Ariann wrote:
I think we switched Malka's carseat when she was around 28-29". She may not have been maxing out the height limit, but she just seemed cramped and it was a total revelation when we switched to the rear-facing convertible because she was suddenly soooo happy. Then that seemed too cramped because her legs are kind of squished up against the back seat, so now she's forward facing, although she's nowhere near the 30lb. benchmark (she's like 22lb).

Weird. I guess I should have looked more when we bought our infant seat. It only went to 22 lbs and Zephyr was quickly approaching that, so we had to upgrade!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:55 pm 
Chip Strong

Happy birthday Magician! I can't believe he's a year old already!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:58 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I meant the 30 lb benchmark about turning to forward facing. But just checked the specs on our carseat and it was supposed to go to 30lb/30in. Clearly it didn't, though, so I don't know whether or not to believe them.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:45 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

coldandsleepy wrote:
Thanks for the birthday wishes! We just got back from his 1 year check and apparently for his birthday he got a double ear infection. Unlucky!

This is crazy... two of my friends just took their babies in for 12 month checks and they both came out with ear infections. Eek! Hope M recovers quickly.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:49 pm 
Saggy Butt

kdub wrote:
coldandsleepy wrote:
Thanks for the birthday wishes! We just got back from his 1 year check and apparently for his birthday he got a double ear infection. Unlucky!

This is crazy... two of my friends just took their babies in for 12 month checks and they both came out with ear infections. Eek! Hope M recovers quickly.

Boo! We took Sven in for his one-year checkup on Wednesday and we all got norovirus. I totally feel for everyone with sick babies. It's so awful. Hope everyone heals soon!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:48 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

zahara has roseola. there was a mild panic in my head after her three day fever produced a rash, but yay, nothing bad just crappy old roseola. poor little love is cutting more teeth too, i can' tell if it's molars or eye teeth, but she's jamming fingers in both sides of her mouth to chew on. this week has been a punish.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:10 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Oh god, I do not want to abandon my Chico keyfit30 yet! We are only 21.5 pounds but 30 1/2 inches. It's just we don't have a car and we only use the car seat to occasionally take a cab to the airport. I so dread having to use (and store) the larger seat.

Babynut had her one year checkup (more than a month late) and she is doing great. I can't believe it, but she's at 50% for weight! After all our weight gain issues that AMAZING. She is still quite small, since her height is in the 70%, but whatever. Obviously she is eating well and healthy.

We just broke through the seventh tooth after a fussy couple of days. I can't wait for her to bust out more words! She knows so many but mostly is following commands and pointing instead of verbalizing. I spend a lot of time imagining what talking with her will be like.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:44 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Madam dahlia - we have twins! Charlie has roseola and is teething too. His rash also prompted this mild panic of - measles (since he's not vaccinated yet) - but no, just roseola. Good times.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:48 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Butternut wrote:
Oh god, I do not want to abandon my Chico keyfit30 yet! We are only 21.5 pounds but 30 1/2 inches. It's just we don't have a car and we only use the car seat to occasionally take a cab to the airport. I so dread having to use (and store) the larger seat.

Babynut had her one year checkup (more than a month late) and she is doing great. I can't believe it, but she's at 50% for weight! After all our weight gain issues that AMAZING. She is still quite small, since her height is in the 70%, but whatever. Obviously she is eating well and healthy.

We just broke through the seventh tooth after a fussy couple of days. I can't wait for her to bust out more words! She knows so many but mostly is following commands and pointing instead of verbalizing. I spend a lot of time imagining what talking with her will be like.

First, happy birthday Magician, Babynut and Sven!

We have the diono radian and it folds in half, that may be a decent option for you for storing a carseat. It was, however, pretty expensive. It had the lowest toxicity ratings and since we live in California and our car is in the sun I wanted something that while it is cooking it isn't releasing the worst fumes.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:02 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Well, we did it. We traded the Keyfit in for a bigger carseat for the Emperor, and the Magician has now moved into E's old Boulevard. Babies R Us is doing some sort of promotion where you get 25% off a new carseat if you trade in an old one, so I guess it was kind of good timing.

It's ridiculous to say, but I'll miss that damn carseat.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:24 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

sofrito wrote:
Madam dahlia - we have twins! Charlie has roseola and is teething too. His rash also prompted this mild panic of - measles (since he's not vaccinated yet) - but no, just roseola. Good times.

{{{hugs}}} sending cyber love your way. this is the worst. it must be shiitake knowing that twin number 2 will soon be getting it as well :/ hope charlie's doing ok <3

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:45 pm 
Nooch of Earl

I hate that the Keyfit 30 doesn't actually fit babies above 30" tall because this meant we had to give it up around 21lb. I want a giant toddler version - at least something as easily removable from the car, so we didn't have to wake her up during a nap. Also sort of hate that it's not illegal to throw your kid screaming in a crib and shut the door until it sleeps and walk a hundred feet across the house, but if it's 60 degrees at night in winter and you want to leave your kid in the car to finish a nap? Oh, then you're breaking the law. Don't mind me, I'm just over here being bitter that one of the few ways to actually get V to sleep is now gone. (I know from a safety perspective car seat naps aren't perfect, but nobody tells you how you're supposed to get a kid to nap without a car seat or stroller or crying it out etc. etc..)

My update is that Violet won't take a nap today (we've been out for two walks already, which is how she normally gets to sleep), I have a ton of stuff to do before tomorrow evening because my mother in law is coming for a visit (you know, one of those family visits where they think they're being super helpful by letting you wait on them all week while they occasionally read a story to your kid and threaten to do your laundry all wrong).

And meanwhile the wives of our other children (enlisted sailors) are spreading a bunch of false information that's going to cause a massive cluster that husband will have to deal with if anyone believes them, and that means more work for him which means more lone parenting and work for me.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:15 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

annak wrote:
(you know, one of those family visits where they think they're being super helpful by letting you wait on them all week while they occasionally read a story to your kid and threaten to do your laundry all wrong)

HA! Yes, I do know.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:21 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

❀madam dahlia❀ wrote:
sofrito wrote:

{{{hugs}}} sending cyber love your way. this is the worst. it must be shiitake knowing that twin number 2 will soon be getting it as well :/ hope charlie's doing ok <3

Oops - sorry, I meant that you and I have roseola twins. :) Sounds like they had identical symptoms and experiences. (Weren't they also born the same day (Feb 17) or am I thinking of someone else?)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:11 pm 
Semen Strong

Leela is now obsessed with flossing. She likes to sit next to me and fake floss. Maybe this belongs in the weird baby thread?

annak wrote:
(you know, one of those family visits where they think they're being super helpful by letting you wait on them all week while they occasionally read a story to your kid and threaten to do your laundry all wrong)

Best!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:40 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

annak wrote:
And meanwhile the wives of our other children (enlisted sailors)

Hey-o!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:46 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

[quote="Tofulish"]Leela is now obsessed with flossing. She likes to sit next to me and fake floss. Maybe this belongs in the weird baby thread?

Are you trying to floss her? My partner bought "What to Expect Year Two" and it said you should be flossing, but my ped has not suggested this and I don't do it. I do brush and floss my teeth in front of her each night and she is all about trying to brush herself. I let her and then I brush her teeth myself.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:00 pm 
Semen Strong

No, not at all. She is just obsessed and fake flosses. She puts two fingers in her mouth and moves them around like I do. Its so cute.

She is so good at communicating these days. Its so much fun. We made soup and she ran over with a big spoon to come taste. I just adore her.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:07 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I think you're supposed to start flossing as soon as there are teeth touching each other. We learned the hard way - it's super duper important to floss little kids' teeth and always, always brush them, even if they hate it and it makes you want to cry. The NY Times had an article about the increase of extensive dental problems with little ones:
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/06/healt ... al&src=me&
Since Leela is so interested in flossing, maybe try it with her if she's got teeth touching each other? When we finally did start flossing our little guy's teeth, he loved it because we bought those special dinosaur floss picks.

ETA: I hope I'm not coming across as saying you need to change what you're doing - this subject is a really sore spot for me, because our little guy has to have dental "surgery" (ie general anaesthetic to treat multiple cavities), and I really wouldn't wish that on anyone else!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:28 pm 
Semen Strong

That is terrible! I am so sorry bodhi, you must be so upset.

Leela has some staining on her teeth, but we really do brush her teeth every day and try and keep the sweets in check. Yikes! I think we'll have to go to the dentist soon!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:30 am 
Bathes in Braggs

sofrito wrote:
❀madam dahlia❀ wrote:
sofrito wrote:

Oops - sorry, I meant that you and I have roseola twins. :) Sounds like they had identical symptoms and experiences. (Weren't they also born the same day (Feb 17) or am I thinking of someone else?)

haha, i'm such a vague boob-brain. and no, z had her birthday last week, they are pretty close in age though :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:09 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

annak wrote:

Oh, do I ever.

Minus the laundry and add in bringing home up to six bags of chips at a time and chain smoking outside half of the day.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2616 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65 ... 105  Next