| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12395 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115 ... 496  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:51 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

I hate people who plan parties for you just to throw parties for themselves...My dad last year was like "let's have a cake and party for your birthday"...My mom is like "um, where are you going to get a vegan cake for her?"...My dad was just clueless about that. He is always clueless about this stuff because as long as he is OK then that is all that matters...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:25 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

Efcliz wrote:
Lisa, are you going to bringing up your baby vegan? Because it seems to me that if you don't make a stand now it's going to get even more difficult down the line, like christenings (if you are doing that), birthday parties and other family occasions. I think if it were me, and wanting to not cause a huge family row, I'd sit my Mum down and say that if she really insists on having this thing catered you'll go along with it but only if there is vegan dessert for all. I would also insist that I knew what my meal was going to be in advance and retain the right to veto the green salad/pasta marinara/fruit plate. And if not, forget the catered event and do something more casual, pot luck style or whatever. And if she is stubborn, I would politely remind her that it is your baby.

undecided. my husband is an omni (though he stopped eating cow and pig and eats mainly vegan at home since i am the main chef in the house). my plan at the moment which could change is vegan at home and not worrying about vegetarian stuff at parties/school (ie a cake or cupcake that has eggs or milk in it)
but yeah no meat under any circumstances. my brain will explode.

this is sort of veering off topic but this really pissed me off. when we told my in laws we were having a baby eventually the topic got around to whether or not the baby would be vegan and i said pretty much what i said above and my mother in law was like "oh so we can make her Eddie's (my FIL) special chocolate chip cookies!!!!" and i was like "well there's a difference between not freaking out over a piece of cake at school and people specifically going against what i want and feeding my kid dairy desserts.

why dont people get it?

do people try to feed kids of kosher Jews bacon?? do people with religious preferences have this issue?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:27 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

b.vicious wrote:
Lisa, there's a bakery in Worcester called Bean Counter that offers vegan cakes - found it recently while looking around for a baker for my wedding cake. I've never tried anything of theirs but maybe if you mention it to your mom she could get you something (more than a single cupcake)?

I don't think I'd be brave enough to not show up to my own baby shower as others have said, even if my mom was being a pain in the asparagus about the food - that's why I suggested threatening, haha. But I wish you luck in convincing her to take your veganism more seriously!

ooooh thank you i will be checking that out!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:28 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

oh snap i know where the Bean Counter is! RIGHT NEXT TO (sort of) TORTILLA SAMS

kill 2 birds one stone. (NV!)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:09 pm 
Grandfathered In

"So, you're okay with not providing dessert for me at my own shower?!"

Followed by your open-mouthed silence until you hear, "No, no, of course not. I'll take care of it!"

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:14 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Desdemona wrote:
Personally, I think a vegan guest of honor should equal a vegan meal

This, absolutely. I would absolutely insist on food you can eat, and not just dessert.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:51 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Wow. I just hosted a baby shower for my little sister who is omni. My little sister went out and bought vegan food for me to eat at her shower. She was also completely up for a vegan cake. I am willing to bet if somebody called around local bakeries and asked about a vegan cake you would find one willing to make one. In this economy most businesses are more than happy to try. I would tell them to shove the shower if they are not going to have a vegan shower for a vegan mama.

I work in a restaurant and often get requests for Vegetarian meals (most request fish) also we have a "vegan" who will eat eggs and cheese. So yeh, that would be my vegan pet peeve. Drives me nuts.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:21 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Ok, much less important than the random-animal-product baby shower... But if you ordered cous cous with vegetables, marked vegetarian and requested without butter... You wouldn't expect cheese on top... Right?!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:24 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Yeah, and by a similar token, if you ask them to check if the bruschetta has cheese on top or milk in the dough you wouldn't expect them to coat it liberally in butter. To be fair to them, the server pretty much said d'oh! when she realised what had happened.

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:23 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

someone sent me milk chocolate and after emailing her she said this:
"I read that you were vegan but I am so uneducated about it that I never thought about it having anything to do w/ chocolate . I know some vegans and we've dined together but I thought it had to do with wheat. Again... I apologize. "

Seriously....

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:27 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Cgvegan wrote:
Ok, much less important than the random-animal-product baby shower... But if you ordered cous cous with vegetables, marked vegetarian and requested without butter... You wouldn't expect cheese on top... Right?!

unexpected cheese (besides being my new band?) is the most annoying thing! i went out for brunch a few weeks ago to a totally non vegan place and ordered a grapefruit and a side of fries. the fries had parmesan sprinkled on them! so dumb. it was funny though because my husband saw the cheese first and literally went "nooooooo" in a kind of slow motion voice and i looked and saw the cheese and just asked the waiter for new fries. i have absolutely no problem sending back food, especially when there is zero expectation of something non vegan.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:29 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Oh man once I ordered a drink that had nothing on the menu to indicate that it would come out with whip cream on top o.O I can't remember what it was, but a pretty common cocktail that you really don't expect whip cream on!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:37 pm 
Nailed to the V

Yesterday I was showing someone some cookbooks and casually pointed to the vegetarian/vegan ones and she said to me: "do you know what vegan stands for?" I said what? she said "very stupid people who don't eat cows or pigs." I was confused because I thought she was going to come up with an acronym for v e g a n and just stared at her for a few seconds. Then I thought what the fizzle was that all about and left her standing there.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:48 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Peri wrote:
Yesterday I was showing someone some cookbooks and casually pointed to the vegetarian/vegan ones and she said to me: "do you know what vegan stands for?" I said what? she said "very stupid people who don't eat cows or pigs." I was confused because I thought she was going to come up with an acronym for v e g a n and just stared at her for a few seconds. Then I thought what the fizzle was that all about and left her standing there.

I don't know why, but I think this is really funny. Funny because I would have probably been waiting for the same (stupid/expected) joke, and then just....nothing. I'm glad you walked away and left her standing there.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:52 pm 

haha. i just tried to figure out how that was an acronym, too. people are stupit

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:56 pm 
Nailed to the V

Well for a second there I thought I was stupid for not figuring out how v s p w d e c o p fit into v e g a n. It was like Nick from New Girl and his word search without a word. Plus she was all normal girl until I said the V word and then she had a five second spasm of b a t s h i t crazy.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:09 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

LisaPunk wrote:
Efcliz wrote:

do people try to feed kids of kosher Jews bacon??

So we're not supposed to do this?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:48 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

ijustdiedinside wrote:
Cgvegan wrote:

unexpected cheese (besides being my new band?) is the most annoying thing! i went out for brunch a few weeks ago to a totally non vegan place and ordered a grapefruit and a side of fries. the fries had parmesan sprinkled on them! so dumb. it was funny though because my husband saw the cheese first and literally went "nooooooo" in a kind of slow motion voice and i looked and saw the cheese and just asked the waiter for new fries. i have absolutely no problem sending back food, especially when there is zero expectation of something non vegan.

In my flight to Brazil I requested the closest meal to vegan I could get. They didn't have vegan, but I think I did vegetarian with egg and milk allergy. Anyway, everything on the meal had parm on it. I was like, seriously? Ok, not everything. I did eat a dry iceberg salad.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:35 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

When people say something about being vegetarian, and i say "well actually i am a vegan" and they reply "Same thing."

No. It's. Not.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:59 pm 
Grandfathered In

When people ask if I'm vegetarian, I should stop saying, "Even worse. I'm vegan."

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:01 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

And then laugh, muahahaha!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:16 am 

ijustdiedinside wrote:
Cgvegan wrote:

Oh my, I had a similar "meal" an a eggy/meaty breakfast joint a couple of days ago. A bowl of fruit and a side of fries. Those were fine, but my Bloody Mary (though I explained it to the server step by step) came with Worcestershire sauce in it, and I didn't really notice or think to ask until I'd had a bunch of big sips. So gross.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:22 am 

It's funny. At my workplace we have people going crazy about wheat this and wheat that. We are small, and our kitchen contains cross-contamination, so severe Celiac sufferers need to understand that even though we offer a few gluten free options, they might get sick. And SO many people complain vehemently. It's so weird for me to hear because I relate to their frustrations completely, as someone else on a "restricted" diet, but I would never be so rude about it, because people think vegans are annoying and demanding whereas allergies are considered a real thing.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:56 am 
WELFARIST!

I just don't understand why people don't Google "vegan" more often. With something like what happened with MMC, that person clearly knew they didn't understand what vegan was so why not Google it?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:03 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

FootFace wrote:
When people ask if I'm vegetarian, I should stop saying, "Even worse. I'm vegan."

I do this too.

A vegan friend once had a pizza party at the office. So they all ordered and after the ordeal of explaining no cheese, the pizza arrived. With a fried egg on top! This is a common topping in Turkish style pizzerias here, though, but it wasn't in the pizza description and like hey, unexpected egg topping!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12395 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115 ... 496  Next