| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: the great big thread of "where do i find....."
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:26 am 
Chard Martyr

Limone wrote:
Thanks ijustdiedinside! I live in Sunset Park (Brooklyn), so much of my asian market browsing is in Brooklyn Chinatown. I actually checked an M2M near NYU and they didn't have it, but if I'm ever around your neck of the woods I'll keep it in mind. I have no idea if there's a difference between vegetarian stir fry sauce and veg oyster sauce... is the stir fry sauce mushroom based? If so then they're probably similar if nothing else.

yeah, it's mushroom based and i think Terry says you could use them interchangeably in vegan eat's world. The one I got is Lee Kum Kee brand.
oh, and not that it matters, but i don't live around there. i went to school at columbia, but i'm done now. (i have this thing where i wouldn't want people to think i could afford to live in that area. ha.)

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:46 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

I actually found the Lee Kum Kee brand "Vegetarian Stir-fry Sauce" at the Whole Foods in Union Square...there's a decent selection of Asian sauces etc in one aisle.
My bf was able to find Golden Mountain sauce for me at an Asian supermarket in Elmhurst (possibly because I googled a picture of a bottle of the stuff before he left so he'd know what to look for) but I'm still on the lookout for the various Thai soy sauces and some nice puffy pad see ew noodles! It's just been too freakin cold to go traipsing around Chinatown in pursuit.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:49 pm 
Chard Martyr

There's a thai market in woodside close to the 7 that I am going to check out soon. So if queens is easier for you than chinatown that might be a good option.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:49 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Thanks for the tip, I will look for it! I have definitely seen Lee Kum Kee brand stuff at Whole Foods Tribeca (where I usually go) so hopefully they will have the stir fry sauce. I probably just overlooked it before!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:25 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

I found both the fenugreek seeds and black mustard seeds in big bags at WF today like someone mentioned.
The fenugreek seeds were $4 and the black mustard seeds were $3 (im rounding up on both).
I debated over the black mustard seeds a bit as I already have yellow mustard seeds and im not sure what the flavor difference is (I used the yellow ones when I made massaman curry) but like I said it was $3 for a pretty good sized bag and the container of yellow ones I have is pretty small and like $5.
I found both in the Asian section near some other spices in bags or plastic containers above some different types of bagged beans.
Didn’t see kefir lime leaves but I may have just missed them.

It's just funny to think that we could go through years of this, become the president of the damn country, and still, we'd be eating pasta with veggies at every. damn. function.~~Joyfulgirl

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:38 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I've bought the "Vegetarian Stir-Fry Sauce" at normal stores like ShopRite and A&P in New Jersey. I don't think it's something you have to trek to WF for.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:40 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I guess I will have to set foot in my city's Indian store and ask for curry leaves. International stores make me so shy, they're full of foods I don't know, often without any label to identify them or sold in packages written all in a language I don't read. I'd like to look at things quietly, but in small shops, the vendors stare at me or ask what I want until my mind becomes muddled and I just want to grab something while pretending I know what it is, pay for it and get out.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:00 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I've never seen the vegetarian stir-fry sauce at a regular grocery store OR whole foods. I had to venture out to an international market for it. But I do believe it's the same thing/interchangeable with vegetarian oyster sauce.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:13 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

that's interesting how we're all so different. I can spend forever in international food stores looking at all the new-to-me foods. I really enjoy it. Sorry I can't go for you...it'd be a win-win!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:26 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I really enjoy looking at the foods... I just don't enjoy doing it while the vendor is watching my every move, or if I have to ask for something I can't find... The trouble with me is that I'm too shy.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:37 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Ahh, then we *would* be a perfect match! I'd balance us out (sounds creepy, not meant to be!)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:15 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I finally went to the indian grocery store, but when I asked the three people working there for curry leaves, either they didn't know what it was or they understood neither English nor French, I'm not sure. They simply repeated "I don't know". They probably cater mostly to the Indian community, but if there is an Indian community in Quebec City it's good at being invisible, so I don't really understand how they can have enough sales if they can't help people who don't speak their language.

In the bigger Asian store they didn't know what it was. But I found some dried in a store where they sell lots of spices and herbs, and it will be fun to try them!

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2