| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13664 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116 ... 547  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:16 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

fisticuffs wrote:
A vegan friend once had a pizza party at the office. So they all ordered and after the ordeal of explaining no cheese, the pizza arrived. With a fried egg on top! This is a common topping in Turkish style pizzerias here, though, but it wasn't in the pizza description and like hey, unexpected egg topping!
A friend once put in a massive amount of effort finding a place that would do vegan pizza, explained twice that it had to be vegan, which means so cheese in this case a red pepper and mushrooms were fine.

They confused red pepper and peperoni. I thought it was funny (so near and yet so far!). He was furious on my behalf.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:28 am 
Seagull of the PPK

ndpittman wrote:
In my flight to Brazil I requested the closest meal to vegan I could get. They didn't have vegan, but I think I did vegetarian with egg and milk allergy. Anyway, everything on the meal had parm on it. I was like, seriously? Ok, not everything. I did eat a dry iceberg salad.

please, tell me this wasn't Copa airlines. (so far TAM and Continental have been fine. Delta is always sketchy though.)

When i was visiting our country cousin (who was just elected vice-mayor of his podunk town, where the vegetarian is always a novelty that deserves to be introduced as such), he introduced me to his boss the mayor as "not just vegetarian, but super-vegetarian. She doesn't eat ANYTHING."
uh, A for effort? F for inaccuracy? Eh, he's a politician now, so he's officially full of shiitake anyway....
(ETA: i don't think he actually knows what i eat or not and why, because the few times we've tried to talk about it we always end up arguing about rodeos, and my invitation to take the torture equipment used on bulls and try it on his own balls and see if it "just tickles" never ends very well. hehe.)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:06 am 
WRETCHED

I think I posted this elsewhere before but when I wen to Chile on LAN, the only offering they had was a ham sandwich. I was quite amazed. Since we were on a couple different flights, I got offered a ham sandwich 3 or 4 times.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:16 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

torque wrote:
ndpittman wrote:
In my flight to Brazil I requested the closest meal to vegan I could get. They didn't have vegan, but I think I did vegetarian with egg and milk allergy. Anyway, everything on the meal had parm on it. I was like, seriously? Ok, not everything. I did eat a dry iceberg salad.

please, tell me this wasn't Copa airlines. (so far TAM and Continental have been fine. Delta is always sketchy though.)

When i was visiting our country cousin (who was just elected vice-mayor of his podunk town, where the vegetarian is always a novelty that deserves to be introduced as such), he introduced me to his boss the mayor as "not just vegetarian, but super-vegetarian. She doesn't eat ANYTHING."
uh, A for effort? F for inaccuracy? Eh, he's a politician now, so he's officially full of shiitake anyway....
(ETA: i don't think he actually knows what i eat or not and why, because the few times we've tried to talk about it we always end up arguing about rodeos, and my invitation to take the torture equipment used on bulls and try it on his own balls and see if it "just tickles" never ends very well. hehe.)

I think it was United? I'm having trouble remembering. Actually I am having trouble remembering which flight it was even. I do remember asking if the red sauce had cheese in it and then throwing up.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:43 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Damn whey powder. And on that note Damn companies that change the ingredients in a biscuit. And damn companies that change the ingredients to include whey powder. I've been eating the same biscuits like crazy the past two months and when I first checked they didn't have whey powder and now they do. Not impressed.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:55 pm 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

Oh no! Which biscuits?

That happened to me when I was halfway through a bag of Walkers salt & vinegar crisps. I think they took the whey out again though.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:04 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Some digestives that they get in work. Not sure of the make but I am full sure the first time I read the label there was no milk products. It is explaining why I've been having asthma attacks lately.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:15 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Gulliver wrote:
fisticuffs wrote:
A vegan friend once had a pizza party at the office. So they all ordered and after the ordeal of explaining no cheese, the pizza arrived. With a fried egg on top! This is a common topping in Turkish style pizzerias here, though, but it wasn't in the pizza description and like hey, unexpected egg topping!
A friend once put in a massive amount of effort finding a place that would do vegan pizza, explained twice that it had to be vegan, which means so cheese in this case a red pepper and mushrooms were fine.

They confused red pepper and peperoni. I thought it was funny (so near and yet so far!). He was furious on my behalf.

Aww, gross! I have had people ask me in earnest whether pepperoni comes from an animal, but all of those people were children.

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:01 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Gulliver wrote:
fisticuffs wrote:

Papa John's used to use single letter ordering codes for toppings, and I love pineapple and onion pizzas (hey IT'S GOOD OK?). After a few pepperoni pizzas, I learned to rattle off "I'd like a pineapple--the ordering code for that is N not P--and onion pizza with no cheese. Again the ordering code is N O, and I do not want cheese of any kind."

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:52 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

annak wrote:
Gulliver wrote:
fisticuffs wrote:

Papa John's used to use single letter ordering codes for toppings, and I love pineapple and onion pizzas (hey IT'S GOOD OK?). After a few pepperoni pizzas, I learned to rattle off "I'd like a pineapple--the ordering code for that is N not P--and onion pizza with no cheese. Again the ordering code is N O, and I do not want cheese of any kind."
It actually took quite a long time to order, because his idea of normal ingredients was different from mine, because I'm used to our amazingly amazing pizza place. What do you mean, they don't have artichoke hearts?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:41 am 
Discovered unobtainium

annak wrote:
Gulliver wrote:
fisticuffs wrote:

pizza twins!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:53 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I once went out with a GROUP OF VEGANS, and did a complex pizza order, and they were horrified that I'd asked for capers, because they are fish. VEGANS!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:35 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

There's a new vegan deli in my town now, very hip with Ipads mounted to the wall for surfing and stuff. They got told on their facebook page how elitist they are and that they sell basically vokü food (vokü is the german equivalent of food nod bombs? I dunno) but at horrendous prices. I went there and it's very nice, they sell Ferrero Rafaelo in vegan (yay!). I mean, so what? Not every vegan is punk rock, some are just regular people who want to have nice (and yes, expensive) things to eat once in a while. Stop the vegan-bashing, vegans!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:37 am 
Tofu Pup

Biodancer wrote:
8ball wrote:
When a well-meaning work colleague brings in sweets/biscuits/cakes for everyone then tells me "You can't eat that." Uh, yes I can, I simply choose not to.

People at my work are always bringing in baked goods then give me this "I'm sorry it's not vegan", guilty look. One former coworker used to go to Whole Foods and get me a vegan muffin whenever she brought in baked goods. That always made me feel good.

This is my pet peeve too! "You can't eat this" - I absolutely could but I won't. Though frankly I quite like the excuse not to eat bake-sale stuff every single day.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:40 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

i feel the opposite. i'd much rather have people tell me "you can't eat this!" than "come on, you could try it just this once. it's a choice right? not an allergy or anything" the latter seems to happen more often than the former. I don't especially like to make a big deal about it being a choice because to most people a choice is something you can choose not to do at any given time.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:33 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

jojo wrote:
Oh no! Which biscuits?

That happened to me when I was halfway through a bag of Walkers salt & vinegar crisps. I think they took the whey out again though.

Walkers S&V are now milk-free! Thank goodness. I hate not being able to find s&v crisps. The ones they do in Starbucks are nice, but, expensive.

Talking of S&V crisps. Was halfway through lunch today when I noticed my bag of Asda crisps contain milk. Seeeeriously. They must have changed the recipe. Being casein intolerant I am now stuck with a nasty stomach :(

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:09 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Neighbor: "Bees don't die when they make honey. So I don't see why you wouldn't eat honey."

Me: "Cows don't die when they give milk and I still don't drink it."

"Oooh."

Granted, if honey pops up in a bread and I've already bought it without realizing, I'm not gonna throw it away, I still eat it. But when people say shiitake like that, thinking, "Aha! I've foiled their logic!", I find it a little insulting. Even mom said to the neighbor, "Ha, Gym got you on that."

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:25 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

Efcliz wrote:
I once went out with a GROUP OF VEGANS, and did a complex pizza order, and they were horrified that I'd asked for capers, because they are fish. VEGANS!

lol. isnt there something that sounds like the word capers that is in fact fish? kippers?

that's pretty funny. also ive never heard of capers on pizza! now im intrigued and slightly scared!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:33 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I make salad dressings all the time with veganaise. I will be eating it at work and it never fails. Somebody walks up talking to me, looks down and exclaims "Hey! You can't eat that!" Another big one is somebody seeing me eating a sandwich that has thinly sliced apples in it and exclaiming "Caught you! That's cheese right!? Caught you!" Uhh. No.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:48 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

LisaPunk wrote:
Efcliz wrote:

lol. isnt there something that sounds like the word capers that is in fact fish? kippers?

I think there is, but I can't put my finger on it either...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:50 pm 

It's kippers. I used to get them confused as a kid along with shallots and scallops. Heh.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:52 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

ijustdiedinside wrote:
It's kippers. I used to get them confused as a kid along with shallots and scallops. Heh.

I still have trouble remembering shallots versus scallops. Scallops is fish and shallots are oniony, right?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:19 pm 

kimba wrote:
ijustdiedinside wrote:

I still have trouble remembering shallots versus scallops. Scallops is fish and shallots are oniony, right?

yup! i think when i first became vegan i might have skipped over some random recipes thinking they had fish in them. ha.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:42 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

Those of you who put up with non-vegan showers/birthdays/whatever parties thrown in your honor are way more tolerant than I would be. Fork that. If it's for YOU, it should be 100% vegan. The end. I can't imagine going to my own birthday party and not being able to eat the cake. What the hell is that? Talk about making you feel like an outsider at your own event.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:16 pm 
And you never will.

I made all the food for my own baby shower (thrown by my older sisters) to ensure that it would all be vegan, and when one of them kept asking if she could contribute something, I told her she could bring chips if she really wanted. She brought Cheetos and sour cream and onion chips. With all the vegan chips in the world, that's what she got. And she brought ranch dressing for the vegetables, because she "doesn't like hummus".

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13664 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116 ... 547  Next