| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4446 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110 ... 178  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ventilation Station 2.0
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:20 pm 
Semen Strong

Yike LB, that sounds so awful. I can't imagine struggling with a car seat and two screaming kiddos on an icy sidewalk. I hope today is a lot better and that Tzipi isn't ill or anything and that potty-learning continues apace.

You know, every other parent has been "That Parent With The Screaming Kid." Leela is generally lovely so far, but one time we went to our Indian Buffet and she screamed for 30 mins despite nappy changes etc. She was just SO. Tired. I think everyone feels your pain, and if they don't meet your eyes it could be just because they don't want you to feel like they're looking at you. I bet everyone there was sympathetic. I know I would have been.

Ariann, I hope Malka feels better. The punching in the mouth sounds so terrible. Hope you get a good nap tonight.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:32 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

lb, that sounds horrible. I hope that your day is going better today. I'm sure every mom/parent/caregiver has had those moments where you could seriously just scream like Janet Leigh in Psycho. I agree with Tofulish that most of the moms in the coffee shop were probably just trying not to make you feel any worse, but when you're in that situation of course that's all you can think, is that everyone must see you as a terrible mom. I'm really very un-British in approaching moms in distress, just to give a kind word. Kids are forking hard sometimes.

and poor Malka! Have you tried clove oil (diluted) for the teething pain? The punching sounds awful awful. Give her lots of hugs for me too.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:11 pm 
Semen Strong

I love that you give people a kind word refinnej. I generally try and smile at the person and hope I am telegraphing empathy. If they seem amenable, I'll go over and say hello and talk to the kiddo, because I know that with Leela, another adult is all it takes for her to become all smiles again. People have often taken the time to entertain her on trains and other public places and it can make the difference between a crying child and barrel of giggles

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:32 pm 

'zactly. I've been on the other side and not only does it distract the fussing munchkin sometimes, but it often gives you just those few seconds to breathe and realize that you're going to be okay. :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:47 pm 
Semen Strong

So true! When you start to "go down the tunnel," and lose perspective is the worst. And OMG the difference in the way you feel when you feel like your child is the noisy screaming kid that everyone is moving away from and when your kid is the delightful baby having cute cooing conversations or playing peek-a-boo with the other passengers.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:11 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Tofulish wrote:
So true! When you start to "go down the tunnel," and lose perspective is the worst. And OMG the difference in the way you feel when you feel like your child is the noisy screaming kid that everyone is moving away from and when your kid is the delightful baby having cute cooing conversations or playing peek-a-boo with the other passengers.

Yes, this, a thousand times. My kids are usually great when we're out (because I'm pretty lucky, I guess!), but when they are tired and have a public meltdown, it's just SOOOO embarrassing. And yeah, I also always try to give a kind look/word to mums in distress. Just a smile really does have a lot power when you're having a hard time with little ones.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:09 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

today was much better. mostly because tzipi went to daycare. har har. i had a meet up with a woman that i made friends with a couple months ago, and she brought her friend who is really lovely too. i am inordinately proud of this friendship because i kind of just walked up to her and started talking... i saw her at a coffee shop and got the feeling that she was a cool person, and sure enough, my instincts were right and we have a ton in common, down to our childhoods! and then i met mr. bird for lunch, and then i came home and lydia had a nap of epic proportions... giving me time to not only watch a boatload of tv, but actually get some housework done. so, clean house, friends, lunch with so, and tolerably happy children! i win!

"funny" conversation from tzipi this morning though... i'm nagging her to get her snow gear on, while i bundle up lydia and get her in her seat. tzipi crawls under the crib and ignores me. i say, "tzipi, look at me! get out and put on your hat!" to which tzipi replies, "i can't see you." sure enough, she's got her eyes closed. i guess that means she doesn't have to do what i say?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:01 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Such a perfect storm of stress in my house.

Husbands parents have been "visiting" for a month.
Dog dies.
We all have the flu.
My car broke down twice this week (never had an issue in the past 5 years before this.)
Silas is throwing epic tantrums of his life all day, just trying out a new method to get his way on trivial things that is not working out for him and giving me a headache.

I just can't even take one more thing right now.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:05 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Yikes! My mother-in-law is the nicest person in the world and deserves far better than us, but I can't imagine a month-long visit.

I hope everything's back to normal for you all soon.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:15 pm 
Semen Strong

I am so sorry things are so rough Kelly. I hope you all recover nicely and that things start getting better soon.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:21 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I'm so sorry, Kelly! Hopefully you have a lot of good luck coming your way soon.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:44 am 
Married to the wolfman

Aw Kelly, hang in there buddy.

I'm on antibiotics for mastitis and M is on them for a double ear infection. Guess who got matching yeast infections? Ugh. I've been taking probiotics like it's my business and stuffing M full of soy yogurt and here we still are.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:06 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

ugh, that sucks, c&s.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:19 pm 
Chip Strong

Oh that stinks c&s. I hope it clears up quickly for you both.

I am so tired of Ada throwing things when she is tired or doesn't get her way. Oh and pulling my hair which just started a couple of days agao. Yesterday she broke a puzzle. Today she threw a glass that I had next to the bed and it shattered. Then just before she pulled a mug of milk off the counter (that was pretty far back) and got that everywhere. This is after she refused to walk up our stoop because her little hands were probably frozen because she kept pulling her gloves off and throwing them on the sidewalk. So I had to carry her, my big bag, groceries, and the stroller up. And then instead of helping me put away groceres like she normally does she started ripping everything apart that she could. And then the milk everywhere. Of course I started crying because apparently I have become super hormonal in the last couple of days. She was all confused because she doesn't ever see me cry. I really hope she naps now because I need a break. And she is clearly tired. And she is now ripping a book apart. Ugh.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:04 pm 

Oh, sashi. I feel for you. I hope she naps!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:08 pm 
Semen Strong

Yikes C&S and Sashi! Sending lots of good thought to you both.

Brett installed the convertible carseat and put in the infant insert so when I went to take her to our playdate today, she was so unhappy. And I screwed up her nap so we're now in the car and she is sleeping. I feel like the worst parent, and am beating myself up for not checking the car seat while B was home, for being so rattled by her crying and for the fact that she had diaper rash yesterday (all gone today).

I work really hard on keeping my anxiety in check but today it is ripping at me.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:35 pm 

Yikes. It sounds like one of those messed up astrological times that people talk about. c&s, Sashi, Kelly I hope this get easier for all of you soon. Being sick (or tired and pregnant) makes everything so very much harder.

F and I have both come down with colds just today I think. I'm hoping we didn't infect the little boy we played with at the LLL meeting, but we didn't know. On the other hand, part of me wants to go back to playgroup we were at on Monday with all the sick kids and cough in the moms' general directions. :( Now, we're out of music class and anything where other children are until she seems well. (plus this throws a real wrench in our efforts to cut down night feeding and sleep in her own bed, etc.) Hopefully though, it's just the sniffles.

Tofulish, don't let the bad days overwhelm you, yeah? It so hard on those oh-my-god we're not eating lunch until 2:15 and I haven't read a book to her all day and I'm surely going to send her to therapy days, but look at how awesome Leela is turning out! You must be doing something right.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:44 pm 
Semen Strong

Brett totally refused to walk the dog like he promised, bc he was busy at work, so I had to walk him. I put her in the carrier and under my coat and on the first few blocks she pulls her hands out of the jacket and rips her hat off. Now its 19F outside, she has no gloves and no hat and she starts screaming from the cold and I can't get her hands back in the carrier and she is screaming and screaming and so I start yelling at her and the dog and I'm racing to get back indoors and her poor fists are bright red and swollen. Awesome funtimes.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:29 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

:(

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:25 pm 

Yeah, it's butt cold out there Tofulish and sashi. I can't wait until this crazy weather breaks! I can feel the insides of my nostrils freeze when I step outside, so I can only imagine what the wee babes are feeling. Of course babynut refuses to wear a hat or keep hands inside carrier.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:30 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

LB, I have so been there with Raygold -- this autumn, we had to take him home in just his training pants because he peed through all his trousers. Exhibit A:
Boy did everybody give us the stink-eye, too. I know it was cold and he had no trou on, but cut a bisque some slack!

And then there was the time we were on a 3-day mini-cheap vacation and he peed through all his training pants and spare trousers all in one afternoon. I managed to find a pair of jeans at a charity shop that fit him for 50p. Thank goodness because I hand-washed all the spares and they just would! not! dry! He would have been going home (several hours on the train and bus) in his feetie PJs.

And Kelly, my goodness, I would freak out if any relative stayed with us for a month, but my in-laws or parents? Oh, man. My aunt and uncle stayed for just over a week once when I was pregnant with Raygold and we all got the flu and they...just stayed. My aunt is really nice, but at that point when the 3 of us were ill, I just wanted them to go away, so I could be sick in peace.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:04 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

That pic is so cute TCC.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:05 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Tofulish wrote:
Brett totally refused to walk the dog like he promised, bc he was busy at work, so I had to walk him. I put her in the carrier and under my coat and on the first few blocks she pulls her hands out of the jacket and rips her hat off. Now its 19F outside, she has no gloves and no hat and she starts screaming from the cold and I can't get her hands back in the carrier and she is screaming and screaming and so I start yelling at her and the dog and I'm racing to get back indoors and her poor fists are bright red and swollen. Awesome funtimes.

Yikes. I'm so sorry, that does not sound fun at all.

You are making me appreciate Florida and that's kind of weird.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:49 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

littlebird wrote:
today was much better. mostly because tzipi went to daycare. har har. i had a meet up with a woman that i made friends with a couple months ago, and she brought her friend who is really lovely too. i am inordinately proud of this friendship because i kind of just walked up to her and started talking... i saw her at a coffee shop and got the feeling that she was a cool person, and sure enough, my instincts were right and we have a ton in common, down to our childhoods! and then i met mr. bird for lunch, and then i came home and lydia had a nap of epic proportions... giving me time to not only watch a boatload of tv, but actually get some housework done. so, clean house, friends, lunch with so, and tolerably happy children! i win!

"funny" conversation from tzipi this morning though... i'm nagging her to get her snow gear on, while i bundle up lydia and get her in her seat. tzipi crawls under the crib and ignores me. i say, "tzipi, look at me! get out and put on your hat!" to which tzipi replies, "i can't see you." sure enough, she's got her eyes closed. i guess that means she doesn't have to do what i say?

Heh...I used to do the same thing! I was convinced that if I closed my eyes, I became invisible. It seemed only fair -- if I couldn't see anyone else, wouldn't logic dictate that they also could not see me? I used to drive my preschool teachers nuts because I would just sit there with my eyes closed as soon as they announced that it was clean-up time.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:01 am 
Semen Strong

You should have tried that with Veto!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4446 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110 ... 178  Next