| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 150 Best Vegan Muffin Recipes
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:28 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Anyone else have this book? I'm loving it so far, besides feeling like I need to reduce the sugar and oil in most of what I've tried (but that's just me not really loving super sweet muffins and not wanting too much excess fat in my diet because of all the avocados I eat). Here's what I've made so far:

Best Basic Muffins - I love that this exists, because I can use whatever add-ins I have around. I made these with some sadly under ripe mangos and dried coconut and they were so delicious!

Fresh Apple Muffins - Apple pie in muffin form. Best.

Berry Jam Muffins - Made a huge mess, but totally tasty. I used blueberry jam that I made last summer and these are the bomb.

Parsley Lemon Muffins - These were great with soup, but I thought they needed more salt to bring out the flavor.

I've been making muffins once a week for breakfasts and I love it! I also really like that there is a whole section on savory muffins, because sometimes I think that I want bread with dinner very last minute, and muffins are a great, quick solution to this problem. Also, a lot of recipes call for soy yogurt, which normally I hate, but since I had a giant tub of it in my fridge, it's been a great way to use it up. And now it will be a reason to buy the stuff, without worrying that it will go bad before I can use it all.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

Profile WWW  

Post subject: Re: 150 Best Vegan Muffin Recipes
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:18 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

yes, I do have this book. I was just thinking the other day that i am in the mood for muffins and I need to get it out again.
I did a review of it on my blog way back when
http://veganeatsandtreats.blogspot.com/ ... ffins.html

Thanks so much for the reminder. I gotta get myself to muffin town, pronto!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:49 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I'm interested in this, but do many of the recipes call for flax and/or Ener-G? I have an aversion to both, unfortunately...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:24 am 

PoesiePie wrote:
I'm interested in this, but do many of the recipes call for flax and/or Ener-G? I have an aversion to both, unfortunately...

As far as I can tell (after a quick flip through looking at ingredients lists), none of them call for Ener-G, and only a few call for flax. I mean, I literally saw 2 recipes that called for it while I was flipping through just now. A ton of them do call for that soy yogurt though (sometimes it says vanilla flavored, but I just add a little vanilla extract to those recipes since I only have plain), so if you don't have easy access to that, I wouldn't recommend it. Otherwise, I totally recommend it!

And thanks for the link, ameyfm! I will check out your review.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:29 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Thanks! I don't mind yogurt.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:56 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I recently got this book & have made a few. The Turkish coffee ones are great, and the PB&J - those stand out, but I've made some unmemorable ones too. I'm not a huge fan of savory muffins but I made the rosemary ones when I needed to use up some fresh rosemary, and they were good. I at least doubled the rosemary, though.

I don't follow her techniques, though - there's no need to use a blender to mix the (already ground) flax & liquid, and I've had better success adding dry to wet than wet to dry.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:56 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Yeah, I re-looked at my blog post, and saw that I only reviewed two recipes on there ~ but I know I've made more than that. I've had mixed luck with the recipes as well, Dave the Cat. Some are great, and some are sorta blah. Turkish coffee sounds totally up my alley though, I'm eager to try those out!
:)

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:39 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Woah! How have I never heard of this book?? We are muffin fanatics over here.

:: adds book to wish list ::

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:52 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

i've been contemplating getting this book - i love having muffins & quickbreads for healthy(ish) breakfasts or snacks, so i don't think it's possible to have too many muffin recipes. some of the Amazon reviews mentioned being put off by mentions of meat (in the intro i guess?), but if it doesn't bother anyone here, i think i'll have to get it myself!

I'm going to put my cats in a baby bjorn and be like, "LOOK WE CAN STILL HANG OUT LOOK WE'RE HAVING A PLAYDATE." - bathsheba

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:37 pm 

I'll admit that I didn't read the intro. I rarely do with cookbooks, as I just want to get right at those recipes.

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:26 am 

I have a muffin-baking project to do tomorrow morning, so last night I was looking through this book and was even less impressed than before. A LOT of the recipes use dried fruit, which I don't like in muffins. One of the ones I'm making is dried fruit, though - fig & date, which I thought could be good. I'm going to do the banana chocolate chip teff, since I have teff flour from a failed attempt at injera. All the other ones I'm making ended up not being from this book. Oh, and if you care about gluten-free - the book doesn't have ANY! I don't usually care but there will be a GF person at the thing tomorrow so I need to do one. You'd think out of 150 recipes she could have included ONE GF!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:09 pm 

Made the Dark Chocolate Muffins, but I didn't have any bittersweet chocolate, so I stuffed a few Dandie's marshmallows in them instead. It was pretty hilarious (marshmallow everywhere), but also tasted good. I like the base of the muffin, it's a little like the chocolate raspberry one from Vegan Brunch. I think it would be good plain (without the bittersweet chocolate and with reduced sugar) and then schmeared with peanut butter for breakfast.

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:16 am 

I made the fig date and they were terrible! The batter was gummy and I didn't think it was my fault. I baked them anyway and they came out just as bad and I threw them away. The banana choc chip teff were good, though.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:45 am 

Made the Fresh Corn and Thyme Muffins except I used frozen corn and dried thyme (1 1/2 tsp). Upped the salt to 1/2 tsp. They were good. Nothing outstanding, but they paired well with risotto. Oh, forgot, I also used white whole wheat instead of AP. Probably they were a little more toothsome than they would be otherwise, but I don't mind.

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:00 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Weird little factoid I read on Amazon's description of the author:

.....she has won several of the country's top cooking competitions, including the $100,000 National Chicken Cook-Off, the $50,000 Build a Better Burger Contest,..........

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ]