| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 404 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Parenthood
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:50 am 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:37 pm
Posts: 7033
Location: NC for now
Yep. I quit Parenthood too.

_________________
"T-shirts are not allowed in heaven, Karyn. They don't do casual Fridays." - Amandabear

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: Parenthood
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:55 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:16 pm
Posts: 3691
Location: Panama City, Florida
Still love the show! Yeah, this was a almost-too happy episode but I like how the go through the ebs and flows of life. It all seems pretty damned real to me. I missed Max this week though!

_________________
etsy shop: teeny tiny tantrums
blog: vegan kid!


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: Parenthood
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:55 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:13 pm
Posts: 2098
I thought this was funny considering how ppkers seem to hate Crosby.

http://www.grantland.com/blog/hollywood ... parenthood

Yeah, a different point of view for me at least.

Oh, I also HATE Ray Ramono. He has grown on me a bit but still...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Parenthood
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:03 am 
Semen Strong
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:10 pm
Posts: 18627
Location: Cliffbar NJ
Oh well he's vegan and dating Kristin Bell. Still looks like a rat.

_________________
But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Parenthood
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:37 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:10 pm
Posts: 2025
Location: milwaukee
Butternut wrote:
I thought this was funny considering how ppkers seem to hate Crosby.


aw, not this ppk'er! i like crosby and i heart dax. baby mama cinched it for me.

_________________
i'm not around much, but that doesn't mean i don't love you.


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: Parenthood
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:23 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:16 pm
Posts: 3691
Location: Panama City, Florida
Tofulish wrote:
Oh well he's vegan and dating Kristin Bell. Still looks like a rat.


I think he's hot. Just saying.

_________________
etsy shop: teeny tiny tantrums
blog: vegan kid!


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: Parenthood
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:55 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:08 pm
Posts: 4018
Location: Malvern, PA
I totally didn't buy the Drew storyline. I feel like the abortion thing and then them completely not talking to each other would be much more traumatic and not that easily resolved. And I was scratching my head over his girlfriend's family . . . how could her parents not have noticed her sulking around like she was? She was practically dead inside . . . they would have to never see her to not know about her being all upset about being pregnant. And Drew's excuse that he was just stressed out about school . . . I feel like if Sarah was a more astute mom, she would have picked up on the fact that it had to be more serious than that.

How do we know that Jasmine and Crosby's 2nd will be a "throwaway baby?" I feel like, for them, it could be a really important piece of storyline. Crosby has never raised a baby before, because he didn't meet Jabbar (sp?) until he was five. It could be something that would really test their marriage, and something that could show maturation in Crosby as a dad. (I know he's a screw up, but I can't help but love his character.)

I do agree that it was a cop out though that they barely even mentioned Nora this season. And also kind of a cop out that they could just ignore Haddie for most of the season by just saying that she went to college.

Man, it must really suck to be Sarah. She can't hold onto a job or a man for more than a season.
I'm glad Ray Romano is leaving though. Something about his character was kind of creepy, at least to me. I didn't like him and Sarah.


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: Parenthood
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:27 am 
Not NOT A Furry
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:41 am
Posts: 465
Location: Indiana
i don't know that they'll just throw away this baby. jasmine and crosby's storylines always seem more realistic than some of the other bravemen's. they usually follow through with their drama. i think the reason nora disappeared is because nothing that happens to kristina really ever has any consequences. oh no, max's aide quit! oh well, kristina can actually handle max on her own. oh no, unexpected baby when they have no money and have to send a kid to college! oh well, i guess they actually have enough money to make no sacrifices. oh no, kristina gets a job right after having a baby! oh well, she'll never work again after those few weeks. oh no, kristina has cancer! she gets a little nauseous and smokes some weed while looking like a sexy conehead. oh no, kristina almost dies! just kidding, she's fine. and now the cancer's gone for forever, and we probably won't hear about it again. i can't imagine what they'll put her through next season.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Parenthood
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:07 pm 
Semen Strong
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:10 pm
Posts: 18627
Location: Cliffbar NJ
I don't think healthy shows have a January season Finale... They wrapped up all the storylines for the most part, and they didn't end on a cliffhanger. I'm thinking this show is toast.

_________________
But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Parenthood
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:53 pm 
***LIES!!!***
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:10 pm
Posts: 3448
I definitely think the baby will be a throwaway baby. I think even Jabbar has been kind of throwaway. The kids in this show are really only there when they can play into a melodramatic storyline (Drew and the abortion, Haddie and the ex-con boyfriend, etc.). The only real exception I think is Max because all of Max's life is melodramatic, but even he disappears for episodes at a time. And Jabbar is there more often, but he seems to require almost no care and he's there more when he can highlight a problem for the adults (Crosby and his MIL fighting as a recurrent example, Crosby and Dr. Boyfriend competing for Jabbar's love, etc.). Nora has been so incredibly throwaway because babies are kind of boring for TV. They don't have sex, do drugs, make bad life choices, etc. Even the most interesting child character of the season, Adoption Boy, was barely present and quickly "fixed" without his presence changing anything in any real way. I can't really think of a way for Crosby and Jasmine's baby to turn out except as a wedge that makes them divorce because anything else would be totally boring.

Weirdly, the only show that seems to be doing a good job dealing with the unending labor of childcare is Shameless (baby Hymie), and they're unfortunately dealing with it by abusing the kid.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Parenthood
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:30 pm 
Semen Strong
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:10 pm
Posts: 18627
Location: Cliffbar NJ
The thing is that I think there is so much humor in parenting, and its such a wasted opportunity!

Among my favorite, favorite, favorite moments of the season has been the ones where Victor is so frustrated by maths and ends up studying so hard and still fails and he is so upset until Julia points out the ones he got right that he wouldn't have known how to do up to recently. So good. The kid that plays Victor is gorgeous, but he also telegraphs emotion so well, just using his face and body, that shy smile and hairflick when he was adopted was so much more evocative than Zeke''s whole spiel. I wish they'd done more with him feeling the loss of his bio-mom and rejection of Julia, because it gave two very fine actors a chance to shine in a subtle way.

Instead the show gave us an entire episode of how Adam made his sexy conehead cancer patient wife feel sexy in a hotel room episode. YAAAAAAWN.

The show should just be called adult siblings making bad life choices.

And can I say just how much I hated that Kristina went in to the PTA and got the vending machine back after Max threw a tizzy and threatened to go to another school.

Also, speaking of throw-aways, where is their dog? It could have been such a great exploration of the responsibility of having a pet, but instead the dog and Nora are probably hanging out in a basement with Jabbar, Drew and Camille (Bonnie Bedelia is too good to be wasted on this show - she needs more story arcs!).

_________________
But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Parenthood
PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:33 pm 
Semen Strong
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:10 pm
Posts: 18627
Location: Cliffbar NJ
Let's All Be Mad Together Because Even Though Max Totally is Violating Other People's Boundaries, That Shouldn't Matter Because He is A Braverman. So He Should Get To Do Whatever He Wants And Anything Else is Totally Unfair.

I cannot even believe that Kristina didn't try to explain to Max that when someone says "Don't take my picture" that is a time to stop, no matter how good the shot is. Or that you don't walk into a game in progress and take a picture. Yes, we get it, Kristina has so much love for Max and Max has Very Special Challenges, but since when does she just push to have him get away with anything he wants? Oh yes, for the whole show. If she wins Mayor of Berkeley, then I guess she'll force the school to just humor Max 24/7 and leave everyone begging for Bob Little.

I hate the Kristina is Running for Mayor storyline. We get it, she had cancer and now is seizing the day, but if she had no background in politics would she really have the name recognition to put up a credible campaign? If she wins, the show will have jumped the shark so hard and so many times, that they'll have to make a documentary like Blackfish about the shark.

Joel and Julia are awesome - I love them struggling with their new dynamic. It feels really real.

Sarah as the super in an apartment building with weird creepy tenant guy is just weird and gross. The whole storyline just makes me miss Lorelei Gilmore so much. Lauren Graham is such an amazing actress and I really want to see her and Amber go for it over Amber's wedding. I like her rawness about 10000x more than I like Monica Potter's Kristina who just always feels way too smug.

And the Luncheonette is just terrible. As is Zeke being a jerk to Camille.

_________________
But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Parenthood
PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:51 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:13 pm
Posts: 2098
I disagree about the max thing. I think Christina did explain the privacy issue. I think the point is the school is not interested in giving him a second chance or providing the support he needs in order to participate appropriately. It is reasonable to me that they could set a plan for max to have more supervision in his role in order for him to be successful as a photographer for the yearbook. The school cannot expect him to independently, without any extra support or differentiation, be successful in social arenas like working for the yearbook. So, for example, they could assign a mentor student or teacher to shadow him in order to help him determine appropriate subjects.

I also was wondering about Sarah's tenant. It just seemed like a boring tangent. The amber story line makes me uncomfortable. I wish sarah could step up.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Parenthood
PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:28 pm 
Semen Strong
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:10 pm
Posts: 18627
Location: Cliffbar NJ
I saw it as Kristina tried to explain the privacy piece, and Hank and Max talked over her about what a great picture it was. And then the rest of the interaction with the school was about how Max took the best pictures of any kid on yearbook, so he deserved to be a year book photographer.

I wish that the school or Kristina had spoken about accommodations! I think it would be great to see Max working with a mentor to help teach him about boundaries, and develop his social skills. I'd love to see Max interacting with another peer, instead of just Kristina. I do like seeing Max and Hank and like their storyline (though part of that is just gratitude that Hank and Sarah aren't together).

Lauren Graham can generate chemistry and sexy sparks with a rock, and even she could barely manage with Hank.

_________________
But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Parenthood
PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:42 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:13 pm
Posts: 2098
Tofulish wrote:
I saw it as Kristina tried to explain the privacy piece, and Hank and Max talked over her about what a great picture it was. And then the rest of the interaction with the school was about how Max took the best pictures of any kid on yearbook, so he deserved to be a year book photographer.


Yeah, it didn't seem to me that they had much of a plan for how it could go forward. Max has legal rights that should not be swept under the rug.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Parenthood
PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:48 pm 
Semen Strong
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:10 pm
Posts: 18627
Location: Cliffbar NJ
I think it would be so cool to talk about IEPs and how to meet Max's needs! I feel like they just kind of have the actor (who is excellent) just act out being selfish and entitled, and call that autism, without more nuance. Really, all the Bravermans seem to be selfish and entitled, so I can never really tell what is Max being autistic and what is just him being a Braverman. Kristina is no less selfish or entitled than Max, and you'd think it would be great for her to be able to explain some of the stuff to her son, while also advocating for him.

I really would like to see Max with a student mentor - that would be so brilliant.

_________________
But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Parenthood
PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:40 pm 
***LIES!!!***
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:10 pm
Posts: 3448
Butternut wrote:
I disagree about the max thing. I think Christina did explain the privacy issue. I think the point is the school is not interested in giving him a second chance or providing the support he needs in order to participate appropriately. It is reasonable to me that they could set a plan for max to have more supervision in his role in order for him to be successful as a photographer for the yearbook. The school cannot expect him to independently, without any extra support or differentiation, be successful in social arenas like working for the yearbook. So, for example, they could assign a mentor student or teacher to shadow him in order to help him determine appropriate subjects.

I also was wondering about Sarah's tenant. It just seemed like a boring tangent. The amber story line makes me uncomfortable. I wish sarah could step up.


yeah, I really dont get how Max doesnt have a professional aide. It just doesnt make sense.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Parenthood
PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:17 pm 
Semen Strong
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:10 pm
Posts: 18627
Location: Cliffbar NJ
He had one, but Crosby had sex with her and now no-one seems to want to work with Max again. Crosby must be really bad in bed.

I just think that the show really misses the opportunity to engage with or have any fun with the experience of parenthood. Its just "Adult Siblings Making Poor Life Choices."

I wish Tina Fey could write a hilarious comedy about toddlers. Because the stuff she says/her kiddo says is so funny!
http://fuckyeahalicefey.tumblr.com/

Image

_________________
But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Parenthood
PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:22 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:16 am
Posts: 2542
Location: SF Bay area
I have a love-hate relationship with this show. For some reason I have to watch it but every single character irritates me. Everyone is always pissy and fighting. Like every single relationship people are interrupting each other and having fights! I'm glad that's not what my life is like because it looks exhausting!!

_________________
http://hotveganchickpeas.wordpress.com (food blog)
http://baybalcony.wordpress.com (gardening blog)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Parenthood
PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:52 pm 
Inflexitarian
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:30 pm
Posts: 762
Location: City of Subdued Excitement
couroupita wrote:
I have a love-hate relationship with this show. For some reason I have to watch it but every single character irritates me. Everyone is always pissy and fighting. Like every single relationship people are interrupting each other and having fights! I'm glad that's not what my life is like because it looks exhausting!!

I also have a love hate relationship with it lately! I keep watching it but every episode just annoys me. I should probably stop watching it but I feel compelled to watch.

_________________
I have put my mouth, this is the best sandwich. Since. I agree Araya monkeytoes too much, especially the lunch buffet. I have no idea of ​​the city center. I mean try headstrong, but I have not made there. --spam!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Parenthood
PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:55 pm 
***LIES!!!***
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:10 pm
Posts: 3448
Tofulish wrote:
He had one, but Crosby had sex with her and now no-one seems to want to work with Max again. Crosby must be really bad in bed.



I don't mean a private therapist hired by the family, I mean an aide in the classroom provided by the school district. As much as Kristina talks about the terribleness of their schools, every time they are actually in the school it looks pretty great, the kind of joint that would appropriately accommodate special needs kids. The whole school situation is just very weird. I can't imagine Kristina having any of these conversations without the appropriate legal documents and an advocate with her.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Parenthood
PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:48 am 
Semen Strong
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:10 pm
Posts: 18627
Location: Cliffbar NJ
The last Parenthood was so good!

Ryan and Amber saying goodbye was just so sad. They clearly love one another but all the issues that we've seen him have with getting angry and going non-communicative were too much. And I love that the writers had enough consistency to manage to carry that through, and not have Amber cheat or something. It was kind of beautiful to see that love just wasn't enough. I did wish that Sarah was the one talking to her rather than Zeke - I know the point was to have Zeke say goodbye to Ryan as well, but given that Sarah and Amber butted heads about him, it would have been nice to have them have some closure.

The Joel and Julia storyline is heartbreaking - we've seen their marriage slowly fall apart, as he is completely unwilling to talk to her and blames her for Victor's issues and she tries desperately to communicate with someone who has no time or space for her. Its so sad, because they used to be the best couple on the show, but somehow all their anger and helplessness has just created this incredible distance between them. I remember that Julia didn't want to adopt Victor, but sort of got railroaded into it because Joel really wanted to take Victor in, and I think that is where all the resentment seems to have started. I also like that they addressed how scary it is to feel like you've lost your identity when you stop working and how lonely it can be. When Joel was saying he was only there for the kids and that he refused to go to counseling because she was the problem, not their marriage, I felt so bad for Julia. I kept thinking that she deserves better than to stay in this marriage, where the only thing Joel seems to want is to punish her over and over again. Also, why aren't they addressing that in Season 1 Raquel kissed Joel and he didn't tell Julia? Did the writers forget? Joel is being such a hypocrite! But he still used to be so sexy, so I kind of want him to stop being angry and figure this out. Maybe the boss lady will screw him over and he'll see that Julia was right about her and they'll be partners again.

Sarah and Hank: Meh - let this pairing die already. Also, Lauren Graham doesn't look as good as she normally does (the woman is seriously one of the most beautiful women on television) and I worry that they're trying to schlub her down to be a better fit for Hank. STOP TRYING TO SHOEHORN RAY ROMANO INTO THIS SHOW! He isn't very good and he doesn't fit in. Also, LG can make chemistry with anyone and can't generate anything believable with RR because he is the antithesis of sexy. Go away. Him being jealous of her and badmouthing her to Max was also inappropriate and gross. GO AWAY. Seriously, RR was interviewed and said that all the fans hate him. He has to be working for free or something because he is just terrible.

Max: I really liked Kristina and Adam having to let Max figure out his own battles and not being able to fix things for him. Even though he is clearly so lonely. For once, a Kristina and Adam storyline that is understated (well except the stupid foam fingers).

Crosby, Jasmine and Oliver. Waste of screen time. I wanted to care, but no.

_________________
But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Parenthood
PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:27 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:16 pm
Posts: 3691
Location: Panama City, Florida
Tofulish wrote:
Also, why aren't they addressing that in Season 1 Raquel kissed Joel and he didn't tell Julia? Did the writers forget? Joel is being such a hypocrite!


This! Ugh.

_________________
etsy shop: teeny tiny tantrums
blog: vegan kid!


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: Parenthood
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:09 am 
Semen Strong
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:10 pm
Posts: 18627
Location: Cliffbar NJ
Oh Joel.

I watched the whole episode and really just wanted to know how Joel and Julia would do. And there wasn't enough, but what there was was so well done and nuanced. Joel looking at his children made me absolutely sure that he and Julia would figure it out and he'd apologize but then they went a different way. I thought that storyline was heartbreaking.

I really don't care about Ray Romano. Having him interact more with the others and have his own Aspergers storyline is not compelling to me. He's not a Braverman and barely tangential to this show. With the Dr Pelican storyline and the poker storyline, he really was the main character in the episode and blargh.

I did like the storyline of Drew and his girlfriend - discussing how lonely she felt going to Tufts and how she reaches out to him for safety and his pattern is to provide that to her. I think the show does a good job with showing how Drew and Amber picked up their parents' dynamics and are replaying them. I wasn't a fan of Amber, but glad that Seth took care of her.

Camille and Zeke - Camille looked so different - harder. And it was pretty clear that she was contemplating life without Zeke. I thought it was a bit of a copout on the character, because she has always cared about her family, and for her to say "Oh well they move on without you' and looking uneasy with her grandkids etc was just not the Camille we have come to love.

_________________
But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Parenthood
PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:10 am 
Semen Strong
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:10 pm
Posts: 18627
Location: Cliffbar NJ
DAMN IT JOEL!!!!!!!!!!

I don't think I even really noticed the other storylines, but man the storyline of Julia and Joel falling apart is so hard to watch. I kept hoping that he would realize and turn around - in the counselor's office that he would say "Trial separation with a hope of reconciliation," or decide not to tell the kids and work on things with Julia, or not take his stuff and go, or not get in the car and drive away. When he finally left, after looking at his house from the outside, I felt like it was so final. Especially because she pushed the door shut, after he hadn't closed it all the way. Erika Christensen is such a good actress - her on the verge of tears but holding it together - was just so exactly spot on. When you're trying not to let it show how hurt you are because if you start to cry, you think you're just not going to be able to control it or make it stop, and you have too many things to be responsible for to fall apart. And she and Joel still seem to love one another so its hard to see how their differences can really be irreconcilable. But so many people do get divorced because even though they love each other, they just can't be in a marriage together any more.

I think this storyline is amazing, and so nuanced. Its really well written, well acted and brilliant, and for me, this is the strength of the show, not slapping a bald wig on Monica Potter and having her do a surviving cancer storyline. Its the drama and pathos in the everyday life - all the pain we're going through, even when its not a matter of life and death, just in not being able to get our points across and have our partner hear what we're trying to say and just continually feeling shut out or shut down or inadvertently making things worse and worse when you're trying to make them better. I think this storyline is so intimate and emotional - and it shows the amazing acting chops of EC and Sam Jaeger. Its so much easier to just throw a new situation at your characters and have them get the drama externally (Christina has cancer! Now she is running for Mayor! Peter got fired! Now he has a new job! Now they have a new baby!).

I liked Jasmine having Crosby's back and supporting him with moving in with his parents. I think they're making that marriage be stronger than I would have expected, which is nice.

I still wish they'd get more drama out of the two babies they brought on board :) Having a preschooler, its just sad to waste all the opportunities for storylines about vaccinating (a huge issue in the Bay area), baby's first injury, all the milestones, the first night away, trusting other people around your child etc.

I liked LG and RR this time, after New Guy helped her feel confident in her abilities. I liked the Max storyline, though as always its just going to end up in a storyline about Kristina starting something new and kind of out of the realm of reality. I would almost rather see her find a way to work within the existing system that exists in reality, rather than cop out by creating a fantasy school for Max that isn't something real parents of kids like Max have as an option. Its a fascinating problem and set of issues, and I would have liked to see it developed further, ideally showing the principals and teachers' pov as well.

Its a good show and I enjoy watching it, but man the J&J storyline is killing me. When their kids were crying, I was crying.

_________________
But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic  [ 404 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Template made by DEVPPL/ThatBigForum and fancied up by What Cheer