| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 979 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 40  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Eats World
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:07 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

It was me. And it could be specific to certain brands but I always find the Dijon we get here to be much stronger, and I am a big lover of strong mustard. I usually start a US recipe with half of the Dijon called for and then see how it goes.

I made the shakshuka in testing, before the sauce became green, and liked it much more than I expected to, and making the sauce green can surely only make it better.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:10 am 
Inflexitarian

I used generic dijon (grocery store brand) for the yassa. It was pretty sour and intense but in a good way (for me, at least). I also used jarred minced garlic, which I think added to the intensity too.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:11 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

it does call for a quarter cup of mustard right? my husband is convinced i measured something wrong.

the sauce was very strong after i mixed it but i wasnt sure if it would mellow out in the oven. it didnt ;-)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:13 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

quark wrote:
I used generic dijon (grocery store brand) for the yassa. It was pretty sour and intense but in a good way (for me, at least). I also used jarred minced garlic, which I think added to the intensity too.

i used regular fresh minced garlic. i didnt measure it but i eyeballed it. i love garlic so i dont think that was an issue. i also used a chile and a half. but it wasnt spicy it was like MUSTARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
my husband loves sour and spicy food and even he was like "yeah this is almost inedible"

stupid Stop and Shop generic mustard >_<

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:11 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I made the baigan bartha and the okra one, and the banana-stuffed parathas (I added chocolate chips) - everything was awesome!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:32 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

I've actually been a bit underwhelmed by both the Yassa tofu and the tandoori tofu; I'm another who felt like it was too much lemon and mustard together for the Yassa.
But holy wow, that tofu scramble banh mi!!! I kept repeating "damn that was a good breakfast" all afternoon. I've made my own occasional bahn mi with canned mock duck before and it's always pretty easy to just wing it, but I really followed the recipe for this one and it was SO worth it! I really like that this book has so many little nifty things like preserves, pickles etc and I think I'll keep some of this daikon on hand for random sandwiches and stuff yay.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:50 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i think i might just be chocking this one up to "not the recipe for me!"

cant wait to make the eggplant shakshuka though! i went to the grocery store at lunch and bought everything i need (i think) so maybe tonight for dinner! :-D

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:13 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

That seitan bo bun salad thing is damn good. It took my husband like an hour and a half with the seitan already made, but I imagine it would be quicker for a more experienced cook.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:16 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

wow the shakshuka was indeed very yummy!
it was yummy by itself but the green tahini just added a whole other level of yum!

very successful dish!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:45 pm 
Nailed to the V

Tonight's dinner was the Deluxe Tofu Vegetable Mafe, and it was incredible. I decided to bake the marinated tofu that's in the recipe, instead of frying it in the pot first. I added it in at the end of the stew's cook time, and it worked just fine. I added some fingerling potatoes because I had them lying around and adding potates is one of the variations at the end of the recipe. I served it alongside a huge bowl of the Fluffy Spiced Couscous from the book, too. Sigh. It left my house smelling divine, too! I am so excited for the leftovers tomorrow!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:06 am 
WELFARIST!

creep wrote:
That seitan bo bun salad thing is damn good. It took my husband like an hour and a half with the seitan already made, but I imagine it would be quicker for a more experienced cook.

This is my favorite recipe from the book thus far!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:18 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I finally have this book in my greedy little hands! Now I have to decide what to make first!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:53 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

seitanicverses wrote:
creep wrote:

This is my favorite recipe from the book thus far!

I think I say that about all the recipes. The fact that I'd even want a salad from a cookbook speaks volumes though. I'm trying to eat more of that stuff!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:27 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Yeah, the index is completely useless.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:52 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

boo, my earth fare is out of my preferred brand of tofu :( no tofu cemita sandwiches tonight :( moving on to plan B.

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:55 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

making the greek lemon soup. it used to be my favorite non-vegan soup, so i'm pretty excited. also, it's freaking cold, so soup is a must tonight. Even though it's not greek, i might make some zaatar foccacia or pita or something to go with it. mmmm!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:53 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

allularpunk wrote:

Agreed. It's a pain.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:57 pm 
Inflexitarian

I just got this book for my birthday (well, I bought it for myself using money someone gave me as a gift, so pretty much the same thing). It is lovely, but it is big and I don't know what to make. I am notorious for buying cookbooks and then not actually using them, as I normally just wing it in the kitchen.

Help me decide where to start, please. Bonus points if you can help me use up the three winter squash I have kicking around.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:01 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

pastabake wrote:
allularpunk wrote:

Agreed. It's a pain.

I'm planning on doing my index project in February, so hopefully we will have a better one soon. ;)

At the moment I don't think I'll include any kind of onions in the index because I often sub them and just use whatever I have on hand - I might be convinced to include them, though, if you tell me that you really, really need it... *hint, hint*

Disappearing Ink wrote:
Help me decide where to start, please. Bonus points if you can help me use up the three winter squash I have kicking around.

My favourite recipes so far are the massaman curry and the coconut black-eyed peas curry. I haven't made anything with pumpkin from the book yet, but I know that there's a curry with pumpkin that I really want to try. I guess I just love curries.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:05 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Shukriyya wrote:
pastabake wrote:
allularpunk wrote:

Agreed. It's a pain.

I'm planning on doing my index project in February, so hopefully we will have a better one soon. ;)

At the moment I don't think I'll include any kind of onions in the index because I often sub them and just use whatever I have on hand - I might be convinced to include them, though, if you tell me that you really, really need it... *hint, hint*

You're awesome!

I feel like I wouldn't need onions unless they were an integral part of the recipe. If it's like sauteing onions before making a soup, pshh, I don't need that.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:22 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

pastabake wrote:
Shukriyya wrote:
pastabake wrote:

You're awesome!

I feel like I wouldn't need onions unless they were an integral part of the recipe. If it's like sauteing onions before making a soup, pshh, I don't need that.

But maybe, like, if there are caramelized onions? Some kind of special onion preparations that use a ton of onions, that would be useful.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:11 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

I made the coconut black eyed pea curry. It was a bit of a fail because I only had half a cups worth of coconut milk left over from something I made last week and I had waited a bit too long to use it. I'm sure if it had been fresh it would have tasted a lot better. Damn me being so broke because I'm going to have to eat it for the next 3 nights.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:14 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I made the mafe last night (but I used chickpeas instead of the tofu) - IT WAS SO GOOD.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:16 pm 
WELFARIST!

I'm gonna make the Tofu adobe stew but instead of tofu, use up the five-spice seitan I still have in the freezer.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:42 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

seitanicverses wrote:
I'm gonna make the Tofu adobe stew but instead of tofu, use up the five-spice seitan I still have in the freezer.

yuuuum! it's so so so good. It killed me how good it is.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 979 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 40  Next