| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:57 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Chipotle testing tofu
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:19 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I want a Chipotle. Or a Moe's. We have a Salsarita's nearby-ish, but I walked in once and it had the most unappealing smell I've ever experienced in a restaurant...I'm hoping that someone got sick shortly before my entrance because that is the only acceptable explanation.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:26 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Moes is so expensive. Veggie burritos cost way more than a meat burrito and you have to lay for cheese and sour cream and ceap ap since it comes with it, and THEN they upcharge the guac. $10 is too much for a fast food burrito. Chipotle and Salsaritas etc are so much cheaper ($6 instead of $10).

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:45 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Ariann wrote:
nickvicious wrote:
Is the "shredded tofu" is supposed to be from yuba or shiritaki?

Whoa. That would be amazing.

I've never had yuba or shiritaki, but a diner near me uses shredded tofu in their tofu scrambles. It's firmer than any tofu I've had before (though still tofu-y like, put in like pasta/shredded carrot form? I'm probably doing a horrible job of describing it haha), and I don't really like it in scrambles, but I think it'd be good stewed in spices as part of a burrito.

I hope this takes off and becomes wide spread. I rarely go to Chipolte anymore, but it'd be nice to have more vegan options! As long as guac stays complimentary on the veg*n options. I need my guac.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:57 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Chipotle needs to cool it on the cilantro though. I'd love them if they didn't put cilantro in everything. Gak. Salsarita keeps it as a topping. I usually go there since their bean tacos are good, especially with their new tequila lime dressing. As a bonus, my dad likes them too, so we can get lunch there.

I think my dad really misses the days we used to go for Sunday morning breakfast or Saturday morning road trips and get hot dogs. I don't mind going for breakfast and just getting juice though--we still get the time, and it's not his fault nobody serves vegan breakfast foods.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:12 pm 
A Bad Person

Nooooooope. More cilantro! More lime!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:12 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

lavawitch wrote:
Chipotle needs to cool it on the cilantro though. I'd love them if they didn't put cilantro in everything. Gak. Salsarita keeps it as a topping. I usually go there since their bean tacos are good, especially with their new tequila lime dressing. As a bonus, my dad likes them too, so we can get lunch there.

I think my dad really misses the days we used to go for Sunday morning breakfast or Saturday morning road trips and get hot dogs. I don't mind going for breakfast and just getting juice though--we still get the time, and it's not his fault nobody serves vegan breakfast foods.

I'm the same way. I can't tolerate even the teensiest bit of fresh cilantro, so my burrito and bowls always end up so sad. The cilantro-less salsa is way too salty and not very good. Really, I just wish the guac didn't have cilantro in it, because that stuff is amazing.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:20 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

The rice! They pollute their rice with the devil's herb.

More lime is always welcome.

My problem with cilantro isn't so much that I hate it (I do), but that it's all I can taste when it's present.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:41 am 
Level 7 Vegan

brian wrote:

I am on Team Brian

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:08 am 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

I'm kind of ambivalent about cilantro, but I don't taste a lot of it in their food. Maybe I like it more than I think I do?

Mostly, I taste salt. Salt and deliciousness.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:59 am 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

ameyfm wrote:
brian wrote:

I am on Team Brian

Me too!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:39 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

TEAM BRIAN!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:44 am 
WRETCHED

its funny because I don't even taste cilantro in my bowls. I'm on team Brian as well.

I didn't care for Moe's and don't think I ever been to a Salsarita.

I think Qdoba has grilled zucchini so they are good but the only place with a Qdoba is close to a Chipotle and I prefer Chipotle.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:49 am 
Discovered unobtainium

Salsarita will add piles of cilantro to your food if you want; Chiptole just does it for you. Pro choice, people.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:51 am 
Naked Under Apron

See I would hate piles of it on top, but I like the little bits mixed in to the rice.

Damnit I really want Chipotle now but there isn't one near me.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:10 pm 
A Bad Person

Ahhhhh I have a team and we're winning!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:12 pm 
WELFARIST!

More cilantro, lime, chipotle, and baking in the flavor in the tofu, most importantly!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:25 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I wish I could pull a Chipotle burrito through the computer screen (with OR without tofu). Damn I miss me a good burrito over here.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:56 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Team lava!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:24 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

lavawitch wrote:
Salsarita will add piles of cilantro to your food if you want; Chiptole just does it for you. Pro choice, people.

Exactly. It just makes sense not to put cilantro in every single freaking thing you serve since so many people are adverse. If they just put it on separately, cilantro lovers can get all the cilantro they possibly want, and I could actually eat at Chipotle. I sort of see it like how everyone can eat vegan food, but not everyone can eat meat, or dairy, etc.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:38 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

starrynight87 wrote:
Team lava!

Whoo!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:52 pm 
Nailed to the V

[quote="Nebraskalaska"
Exactly. It just makes sense not to put cilantro in every single freaking thing you serve since so many people are adverse. If they just put it on separately, cilantro lovers can get all the cilantro they possibly want, and I could actually eat at Chipotle. I sort of see it like how everyone can eat vegan food, but not everyone can eat meat, or dairy, etc.[/quote]
I don't know, that could go pretty far since everyone has such different tastes. I don't like huge chunks of raw tomato but I wouldn't say that is the same as not eating animal products, just something I don't really like. Luckily Chipotle isn't the only place to get burritos!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:55 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

But cilantro is a known food for specific genetic based hatred. I think it's something like 10% of the population? They could easily offer plain rice or something cilantro free too. It's like how Panera puts cilantro in their only vegan sandwich. Why?!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:14 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

tenderoni wrote:
Nebraskalaska wrote:
Exactly. It just makes sense not to put cilantro in every single freaking thing you serve since so many people are adverse. If they just put it on separately, cilantro lovers can get all the cilantro they possibly want, and I could actually eat at Chipotle. I sort of see it like how everyone can eat vegan food, but not everyone can eat meat, or dairy, etc.

I don't know, that could go pretty far since everyone has such different tastes. I don't like huge chunks of raw tomato but I wouldn't say that is the same as not eating animal products, just something I don't really like. Luckily Chipotle isn't the only place to get burritos!

I didn't mean from an ethical or moral standpoint. For example, I go to a party and there's an awesome huge salad and everything about that salad, the dressing, and even the croutons are vegan, except they put parmasean cheese all over it, instead of having it on the side for people to add themselves. Or there's a delicious, crusty vegan baguette, but they smeared butter all over it, instead of having the butter served on the for people to spread themselves. I can't just pick or wipe off the offending ingredients, so I can't eat it.

It's not that I just don't like cilantro, I literally cannot tolerate it. If it is on my food it ruins my meal, and it's pretty much impossible to pick it out. I've tried. There are a lot of foods I don't like such as mushrooms or eggplant but I can eat them if it means I don't have to go hungry. And like Lavawitch said, it's a genetic thing that makes it taste terrible for like 10% of people. Go to Ihatecilantro.com!

And yeah, Chipotle's not the only burrito place, but it's a really good vegan travel option to have.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:37 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

lavawitch wrote:
But cilantro is a known food for specific genetic based hatred. I think it's something like 10% of the population? They could easily offer plain rice or something cilantro free too. It's like how Panera puts cilantro in their only vegan sandwich. Why?!

I always thought cilantro was an odd thing to add to hummus.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:47 pm 
WELFARIST!

I was watching Chef at Home this morning and he said cilantro is "by far" the most used cooking herb in the entire world because it's represented in so many cuisines. There's no escape, folks.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next