| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: the fantastic dreadlock thread
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:43 am 
Huffs Nooch

I feel like I'm finally getting to the point where my dreads actually look like real dreads. I also keep getting surprised at how much hair I have (it's not been this long for about 5 years), and feeling the urge to chop it all off.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:38 am 
Bathes in Braggs

i finally took a pic of my hair.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:52 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Does anyone have any tips on actually putting them in?

I said I'd dread my boyfriend's hair, but now I'm worried I'll muck it up. I did dread my own hair in my mid-teens (but they looked weird on me so I promptly took them out), so I've got some idea how to do it... but that was like 10 years ago.

He's also vegan.... did you guys use any sort of vegan wax or just go without? He has dead straight, silky-smooth hair, so I'm thinking it might be a bit of a nightmare to work with.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:54 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

No wax! I think it's ok for African hair (is that right?) but I have straight, smooth hair and I know for my hair type it is bad, bad news. I prefer what I think us called the rip and twist method or a variation of it did putting dreads in over back combing. I'm also a fan of an itty bitty crochet hook (mine is a steel #14 or 0.5mm) used in the same manner as a felting needle for tightening them up and helping roots along. I had a full head of dreadlocks from 2006-2009 and have had two secret ones under a head of brushable hair for a few years now.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:48 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I used dreadheadhq.com. They have a lot of instruction on starting dreads. I used backcombing, and my dreads turned out pretty darn great. Lock Peppa or a similar product makes it a lot easier to create knots. I definitely suggest sectioning out the hair beforehand. I skipped that step, and a few of mine turned out a bit wonky. Also, get a showercap. You shouldn't wash delicate baby dreads in the first few weeks.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:00 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Bagelyo wrote:
No wax! I think it's ok for African hair (is that right?)

I actually think coarser hair locks into place easier and doesn't need the wax. I'm anti wax all around, though.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:45 am 
Bathes in Braggs

yeah. no wax! i did the rip and twist as well. with both sets of dreads. i'm on my second set now.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:46 am 
Bathes in Braggs

yeah. no wax! i did the rip and twist as well. with both sets of dreads. i'm on my second set now.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:38 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Disappearing Ink wrote:
Does anyone have any tips on actually putting them in?

I said I'd dread my boyfriend's hair, but now I'm worried I'll muck it up. I did dread my own hair in my mid-teens (but they looked weird on me so I promptly took them out), so I've got some idea how to do it... but that was like 10 years ago.

He's also vegan.... did you guys use any sort of vegan wax or just go without? He has dead straight, silky-smooth hair, so I'm thinking it might be a bit of a nightmare to work with.

Sounds like my hair. I've used backcombing twice (when I got my hair done, and when I did my friend's). I recommend getting one of those heavy-duty metal combs and "lock-peppa" from dreadheadhq, and don't bother with their hair hooks, a small crochet hook works just as well.
Make sure before you start dividing up the hair that you know what size you're going for, and keep it fairly consistent. Depending on how thick his hair is something around a 1" square section of hair will probably result in medium-ish dreads. You can either get really methodical about sectioning it all off, or you can do it in layers as you go and approximate it for a somewhat less even and more "natural" look. Regardless of what you do, make sure to stagger the sections a bit so they lay better. (think a brick pattern instead of a grid) As far as backcombing goes, just do it as tightly as possible and don't make it poof, it should actually resemble a dread when it's done, not a fuzzy palm tree. Once it's backcombed, you can pull in straggly bits with the crochet hook.
I've had good and bad experiences with wax, but ultimately I don't think it actually matters that much as long as you backcomb and crochet them really tightly and palmroll consistently. If you do use some sort of wax remember to use a TINY TINY AMOUNT. Like, WAY LESS than you think you need, and then only half of that, and melt it in your palms first and then roll it on.

I'd recommend doing the process over a couple days, it's really rough on the combers wrists, and the combee's scalp (especially the crocheting, weirdly) so I've seen people recommend taking a mild painkiller.
If you have a spray bottle, mixing up a batch of saltwater and sptirzing a bit on hair and fresh dreads will help them lock better, just make sure not to get much on a tender scalp, because it burns and itches.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6