| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:52 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7863 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 227, 228, 229, 230, 231, 232, 233 ... 315  Next
 Post subject: Re: Pregnancy Updates Thread
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:34 pm 
Semen Strong

Thanks for sharing your thoughts LB and Ariann! I am constantly examining this and trying to figure out what I think. I grew up with a sister and we would fight physically all the time. Perhaps because we didn't have a brother and our parents really wanted to foster our interests in "boyish" things like science, we were encouraged to experiment on stuff, collect things etc. I don't think there was much difference between us and any of the guy friends we had. But then when I was in elementary and middle school, I mostly had little boy friends and wasn't really in any of the little girl cliques. I really liked running around, playing soccer, sledding on plastic bags and sliding around the hills by our school.

At the moment, I think Malka is the most physical kid I know. She is always climbing something or moving at a high speed in some direction. She is also supercute and adorable, of course! Of our male kid friends where one little boy will climb up anything and runs around like a maniac and his friend is a lot more sedate and a very gentle and calm little guy, even though they are both boys.

Its really interesting - when L was born, B was very careful with her, and I had to call him out on needing to play rough with her. Supposedly rough and tumble play is really good for kid's confidence and makes them more comfortable taking risks in later life. So she's a pretty physical kid. But if I hadn't reminded B that we can just toss her in the air (which she LOVES) and let her climb things, even though she may fall, I know B wouldn't have ever felt like that was right for a little girl.

So sometimes I think its just the way that we nurture them and how we play with them. But other times, I am not sure. Hormones could make a difference even this young, right?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:14 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I heard as they get older, boys do tend to play more aggressively (it's a hormonal-thing -- I read that in an article about hermaphrodites and the case against surgically turning them into girls, actually), but as babies and when they are younger (and probably in general), I think it is pretty much all down to personality -- R is way more laid back than B; also B likes princesses and trucks and wants to learn to knit and sew (I have encouraged none of this, it's all him) -- and that girls aren't 'easier' than boys. My husband always wanted a brother and had 3 little sisters and although he kind of got along with one of them (she has 3 wee boys, too!), their base-loyalty was to each other, so my husband was super happy when I had R so B could have a brother.

That said, I had a sister and we never really got along, partly down to the 6-year age gap and partly down to personality.

I am sure that as I continue to have kids, people will assume it's because I'm trying for a girl and not because I just want a lot of kids (I'd love a girl, I'm just not too fussed about it).

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:55 am 
Level 7 Vegan

I just meant that three of a kind, whether boys or girls, would be more likely to have common experiences, especially as they get older. Maybe not, of course a lot depends on personality, but you hope so. And the idea of three boys appeals to me because I have a boy, and he is awesome, so in my imagination having three boys would be like Walter cubed, even though that's ridiculous because no two kids are the same.

With kids this young I don't know how much gender stuff is innate--like everybody else has said, my kid likes some "boy" things and some "girl" things. I loved baseball and Transformers as a kid (and was ostracized).

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:27 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

coldandsleepy wrote:
Congrats TCC! Glad to hear everything looks good... I had a partial previa at 20 weeks and it moved (and they usually do)... I too felt kind of like, rather have a c section for a legit concern than die in childbirth. Best wishes on a happy & healthy rest of pregnancy... I hope you'll be able to share your name when the time comes 'cuz I love your other two.

You will love this name, then! (I actually got the middle name from a spam email!)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:07 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

Had my checkup today. 25 weeks. Was a very brief checkup. Heartbeat is strong and I measure perfectly so yay for that. I made a crack that I keep getting yelled at for being so small and the dr told me not to worry about it and that I was totally on sched for measurements. That was a relief because people say stuff enough you start to get PARANOID. Lots of movement the past few days. No outside kicking being felt yet but I have an anterior placenta and a good roll of chunk on my tummy from pre-pregnancy so that’s fine. she said the movement and kicking will get stronger. Lots and lots of gas bubble feelings that I don’t think is gas! I think its babypunk doing the jig.
Next appointment is glucose drink and Rh shot since I have negative blood  my MIL actually thinks my husband may have A- blood but I would need to get it documented in order to not get 2 more Rh shots so I don’t know if it’s even worth it (I doubt insurance covers blood typing).
I asked briefly if it was too early to talk about birth plans and she said we could talk about it at any time but she made it sound like I was supposed to have it written down to go over so I held off on my questions and just asked my biggest one which was if UMASS had any specific policies on “time limits” before they induce you. IE if ive been in labor for 12 hours does the alarm go off and they start jabbing me with pitocin and she said no definitely not. She said the only exception is if my water had already broken and then after 12 hours they would start talking about induction because of risk of infection and if someone really didn’t want it they would push it back more but at a certain point you need to move things along. Also if I go way over my due date they talk about induction because your placenta is only good til what like 42 weeks? Or something? anyways I know some people in the natural birthing community don’t necessarily agree with the above statements but at the same token I have chosen a hospital birth and an OBGYN so I know that I have to think about my choices in terms of that and I am ok with what she said. She said just the fact that my mind set is natural labor is GREAT because a lot of times they have to talk people down off the ledge of wanting intervention right away and she seems very supportive of natural childbirth. My child birth teacher knew who my dr was and said she was a big supporter of the Bradley method which if my memory serves me correct is very anti-intervention so I feel very good with my choice of dr. she’s also sooooo laid back. I kind of love her. At our very first appt even before I was pregnant (family planning appt) I told her up front I was a vegan and it was non-negotiable for me (some people on this board have bad stories about drs who are anti-vegan) and she just gave me this look like “what’s your point” AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA
So yeah babypunk is good I feel good which is awesome after the first 4 months of just like complete BLECH. :-)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:08 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

sashi your 20 week baby bump is gorgeous! you look great!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:24 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

LP, that sounds great! I had a similar experience to your, "I'm vegan and it's non-negotiable." *Braces for impact....huh?* moment when I told a midwife we were homeschooling and she totally didn't care.
Quote:
Also if I go way over my due date they talk about induction because your placenta is only good til what like 42 weeks? Or something?

I was 22 days late or something myself (for my own birth, not my kids), so not all placentas bite the dust at 42 weeks. ;D

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:31 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

TheCrabbyCrafter wrote:
LP, that sounds great! I had a similar experience to your, "I'm vegan and it's non-negotiable." *Braces for impact....huh?* moment when I told a midwife we were homeschooling and she totally didn't care.
Quote:
Also if I go way over my due date they talk about induction because your placenta is only good til what like 42 weeks? Or something?

I was 22 days late or something myself (for my own birth, not my kids), so not all placentas bite the dust at 42 weeks. ;D

yeah about the vegan thing she was so non-chalant, she was like "where do you get your protein from" and i told her and she was like "whatever" (ok it was way more professional than that but that was the vibe) and i was like YES! YOU ARE MY DR!

as far as the placenta thing goes i know my child birth teacher was saying something to the effect of your placenta doesnt immediately expire and the medical world is a bit hyped up on that but im trying to go for the middle ground here. hopefully it wont even be an issue :-) if i am that late that they are talking about induction i might just agree to it out of annoyance at still being pregnant ;-)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:15 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I'm so glad things are going well for you LP. It is wonderful to feel you can really have good communication and trust your OB!
About the induction at 42 weeks the literature does start to suggest slightly increased risk after 42 weeks, but typically after week 40 or 41 you would have non-stress test and a biophysical profile to make sure baby is not in any type of distress and that can help you decide if you want to induce or just ride it out. I was induced at 41 weeks and 6 days because although the testing all looked good I was going to have to change care from my wonderful mid-wife to an OB I had never met. When I was pushing that 9 lb 3 oz baby out I was kind of glad he wasn't allowed to gain weight for another week or two ;)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:15 pm 
***LIES!!!***

The problem with placentas is that they start functioning less well at all different times - some earlier than 40 weeks, some would probably be good till 44. But you can't know when yours is going to start going south. Luckily you can do monitoring of fluid levels if you go beyond your due date that gives helpful information about the state of things, as annasrobbie said.

The research on induction after water breaks with no contractions is that the median time of labor onset (almost everyone will eventually go into labor after their water breaks) is 18 hours. I went 36 hours before agreeing to induction, with zero signs of anything going to happen (despite using breast pump, lots of walking, etc.) and even then it took 8 hours for me to dilate to 2cm! If it happens again I will wait 18 hours and cut my losses. Luckily that will probably not happen for you, as only something like 10% of labors even begin with water breaking (that number may not be exactly right).

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:19 am 
Not NOT A Furry

LP, your doctor sounds like such a good fit for you! That's great. And don't get all stressed about being small, or measuring small for your dates if you can help it. I measured small all the way through and kept getting sent to the hospital for extra ultrasounds, and every single time, tw was just fine. She was exactly 7 pounds at birth, which is not even that small.

Ariann, that research sounds really interesting. My water broke with no contractions and the hospital here had me start on induction drugs about 9 hours later, even though early contractions had started by then. It was actually a situation I was not very informed about and found it a bit difficult to make choices--in the end it was a very long and complicated birth, much like yours I think. I'm not unhappy about how it all went down, but do think I will try to learn more about before the next one!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:14 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I'm a little late to the discussion, but I was just reading through this at the doctor's office yesterday as one mom was leaving with 3 young boys and another was arriving with 3 girls. I thought it was cute... the oldest girl was wearing a skirt and a big pink bow in her hair, the middle girl was wearing sneakers and a t-shirt and the youngest was wearing a skirt and beat up sneakers.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:10 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

according to the countdown app on my phone my due date is 100 days from now.

holy crepe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:13 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Wow, 100 days! So exciting, LP! Glad you have found a doctor you like!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:16 pm 
Chip Strong

I had my anatomy scan today. Everything looks good! They couldn't see one part of the spine so they want me to come back in two weeks. When the tech left the room to get the doctor all of my info was on the tv screen with the measurements. My husband said "I can see what the sex is". So he pointed out where it said female. First I was mad because we didn't want to know and then I was excited. Then I looked again and realized he was looking at MY sex. Lol. So it will still be a surprise. When we came home I was showing Ada the pictures that were printed out for us and she held them on her belly and then mine. Then she was giving my belly tons of kisses. So cute.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:29 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Giggle at silly husband. Glad you got to keep it secret. :) (glad all is well too!)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:19 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

OMG, Sashi, that is hilarious!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:30 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I finally got a photo of my bump (~21 weeks). We were in a hotel, so it was actually warm enough to pull up my shirt. ;p

ImageImage

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:42 am 
Semen Strong

Crabby, you're beautiful! And OMG your bump is so little and cute! Mine was a leviathan....

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:53 am 
Bathes in Braggs

well hello there, hotness! adorable!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:42 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

your bump is mini like mine! <3 (mine is a little tubbier from the fat i already had there)

you look great!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:59 pm 

Sashi, that is hilarious.

So cute, crabby. I like that you can see one of your boys in the background in mid jump crazy fun.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:38 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Glad that it's still a surprise, sashi! And crabby, you look great--definitely pregnancy-glowy!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:27 pm 

What a cute bump! Just enough to feel all nice and round and maternal. :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:27 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

That is funny Sashi! I'm glad that it still gets to be a surprise for you!.

Love the baby bump photo Crabby - I think this is the first photo I have seen of your beautiful self - your kidlets definitely favor you!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7863 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 227, 228, 229, 230, 231, 232, 233 ... 315  Next