| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7477 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 248, 249, 250, 251, 252, 253, 254 ... 300  Next
 Post subject: Re: What nail polish are you wearing?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:43 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I had a bottle arrive where the top part was broken (I could smell the nail polish before I even opened the package). I had to send them a picture of the damaged bottle, but they did send a replacement.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:38 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

i just stumbled upon this blog for people with very tiny fingernails. This chic created this to show art techniques if your canvas is smaller than the usual. http://little-nails.blogspot.com/2012/0 ... -mani.html

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:52 pm 

My nails have been going commando for over a month now and I still can't get them to stop splitting like layers of onions. Didn't have this problem so badly before I started wearing polish. Increasing my dose of vitamin D and intake of soy in hopes for calcium boost. Also using more moisturizer than usual. Maybe it's the dry winter air? <sigh> I really really wanted to try the new Lippmann's Mermaid's Dream polish I bought a while back.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:42 am 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

kitteh - seriously, if non-vegan polish just arrived at my door, i'd totally use it.

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:48 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Nicole wrote:
I don't know about the vegan-ness of UD polishes, but I have seen some swatches and a few of the colors look nice, Crossing my fingers for you!

Thanks! I've emailed them :)

appifanie wrote:
kitteh - seriously, if non-vegan polish just arrived at my door, i'd totally use it.

:D Well, if they're not vegan I will offer them back to the sender or pass them onto a non-vegan friend or my mum. I just would feel silly having to explain or justify it to vegan friends "Oh this is Urban Decay such-and-such.... no, it's not vegan".

But, I have compared the list of ingredients on the box to a bottle of L.A Colors Color Craze and I think there's only one ingredient not in L.A Colors and I don't think it's anything of animal origin, so I'm hoping UD say it's all good.

Barry M Navy (2 coats), the large pale button is Nail It! Belle Vista, the other large button is Sinful Colors Savage, the little button and the thread is Barry M Blue Moon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:23 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Kitteh!! That's amazing, as usual! The Barry M navy looks so pretty, and your artwork is stunning.

Treat yo'self! I did get a manicure and pedicure yesterday even though I felt awkward about wearing two pairs of socks and pants. I ended up doing OPI Bastille My Heart for both. I swatched a couple of different whites and was not feeling it. This is a cherry red with subtle fuchsia shimmer. I think the OPI France collection might be my favorite they've done.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:17 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

omg kitteh!! <3

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:44 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

snarkyvegan wrote:
My nails have been going commando for over a month now and I still can't get them to stop splitting like layers of onions. Didn't have this problem so badly before I started wearing polish. Increasing my dose of vitamin D and intake of soy in hopes for calcium boost. Also using more moisturizer than usual. Maybe it's the dry winter air? <sigh> I really really wanted to try the new Lippmann's Mermaid's Dream polish I bought a while back.

Winter usually kills my nails. The drier air isn't helping for sure, but I'm thinking it's the cold that really does it for mine because they start breaking as soon as the temperature drops. Right now the problem is my thumbnails (especially the left). It feels silly to put polish on such ridiculously short nails, but the rest of the hand is more or less OK, so maybe I should. Unfortunately all my nailpolishes are of the darker variety. I think it would look better with a lighter polish.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:42 am 
Ninja Master

snarkyvegan wrote:

Cuticle oil twice a day. It will help! Solar oil is the best one in my opinion. But Nubar's CO and China Glaze's are both very good too.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:10 am 

kitteh - well that makes sense :)

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:01 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

So A England polishes are amazing. They are super pigmented, Dorian Gray was ALMOST a one-coater.

Also this is now on their website:

On 25 January 2012, we were informed that Royal Mail (our carrier) has stopped shipping nail varnish internationally. We are currently working hard finding another solution, but at the moment we can only deliver to addresses within the United Kingdom. Please keep and eye on this web page or follow us on Facebook and/or Twitter for updates.

Which is funny given that I was just wondering how they were able to get away with mailing nail polish! But funny in that extremely sad way.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:50 pm 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

I wish my A England order would hurry up, I want it now!

MBM if they don't find a solution I'll just order for you & then lie on the customs form again!

Not-For-Profit Cupcakes: Operation Icing.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:11 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Awesome as always, Kitteh!

The freaking strict ban in the UK is really scaring me, because I'm afraid I might not get the Illamasqua polishes I ordered.

OK, so this condescending article says that we should only own five bottles of nail polish, and that should be plenty. What do you think? PSHH HOMEY DON'T PLAY THAT
http://shine.yahoo.com/the-thread/the-5-nail-polishes-you-need-230339241.html?bcmt=1359283977019-bc806215-acec-4fc4-817c-c40681b5ea8e&bcmt_s=u#ugccmt-container-b

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:16 pm 

mbm, nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. i've never tried any!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:17 pm 

bastah wrote:
Awesome as always, Kitteh!

The freaking strict ban in the UK is really scaring me, because I'm afraid I might not get the Illamasqua polishes I ordered.

OK, so this condescending article says that we should only own five bottles of nail polish, and that should be plenty. What do you think? PSHH HOMEY DON'T PLAY THAT
http://shine.yahoo.com/the-thread/the-5-nail-polishes-you-need-230339241.html?bcmt=1359283977019-bc806215-acec-4fc4-817c-c40681b5ea8e&bcmt_s=u#ugccmt-container-b

i have 66 and that's less than some of you! :D and i want more.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:34 pm 

baps wrote:
Cuticle oil twice a day. It will help! Solar oil is the best one in my opinion. But Nubar's CO and China Glaze's are both very good too.

Thanks! I was always skeptical about those oil treatment products but will give it a try!

fruitbat wrote:
Winter usually kills my nails. The drier air isn't helping for sure, but I'm thinking it's the cold that really does it for mine because they start breaking as soon as the temperature drops. Right now the problem is my thumbnails (especially the left). It feels silly to put polish on such ridiculously short nails, but the rest of the hand is more or less OK, so maybe I should. Unfortunately all my nailpolishes are of the darker variety. I think it would look better with a lighter polish.

So it really could be the winter? Guess I never really paid attention in years past. It's amazing how much of a difference there is, not that I had incredibly thick or healthy nails to begin with. Thanks!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:39 pm 

Yeah, I went through a wicked nail breaking period for a few weeks, I kept my nails naked because I broke one all the way down with then intention of waiting 3-4 days and then painting them, but I kept breaking nails. I need a nail strengthener or something to wear when that happens.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:43 pm 

mrsbadmouth wrote:
Yeah, I went through a wicked nail breaking period for a few weeks, I kept my nails naked because I broke one all the way down with then intention of waiting 3-4 days and then painting them, but I kept breaking nails. I need a nail strengthener or something to wear when that happens.

Same here, just when one grows out 2mm, it splits again. I'm also wondering if it's the way I'm using the keyboard. Maybe there's a way to type that doesn't have so much impact on the nail tip but doesn't affect my speed too much.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:27 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

My hands, and I suppose my nails, are worse in winter, too. Even now in summer, I am trying to do cuticle oil more often but I don't like having oily finger tips (I find the Butter London oil runs down over my fingertips)

mrsbadmouth wrote:
So A England polishes are amazing. They are super pigmented, Dorian Gray was ALMOST a one-coater.

Also this is now on their website:

On 25 January 2012, we were informed that Royal Mail (our carrier) has stopped shipping nail varnish internationally. We are currently working hard finding another solution, but at the moment we can only deliver to addresses within the United Kingdom. Please keep and eye on this web page or follow us on Facebook and/or Twitter for updates.

Which is funny given that I was just wondering how they were able to get away with mailing nail polish! But funny in that extremely sad way.

They're on to us!! This is why I PM about postage rather than discuss it in this thread *secret squirrel*

AND NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I placed my order on Jan 25... I wonder if it got sent, I haven't received an email since that day :/

bastah wrote:

*rolls eyes*

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:55 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

No! That is SO not cool about A England!! I'm still waiting for my order that I placed on Jan. 13 - hopefully there will be no problems. I just love their formula so much.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:01 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

i know, i'm really sad for them and for us... hopefully it will get sorted out. i *did* receive a shipping notice so i believe mine made it out of the UK, but they haven't arrived yet... fingers crossed!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:37 pm 

The thing is, it's not new to not be able to airmail polish. When I started collecting polishes for Jojo, it didn't occur to me but then I googled it and found a thread on a beauty forum with tips on how not to get popped by the customs forms (label it as used cosmetics, declare the value to be under $20), and a lot of people said the fines are so steep that they don't bother, and some people said they had never been fined but had nail polish packages they sent go missing, even with tracking. But nail polish companies seem to do it anyway, like Pretty Serious ships here (I don't know about the Australian laws, but once it gets to the US it would be a no-no).

Also, the international shipping rates just took a big jump so everything sucks for us.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:18 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

Has anyone used Butter London's nail fertilizer with success? My hands are pretty beat up this winter...

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:56 pm 

missmuffcake wrote:
Has anyone used Butter London's nail fertilizer with success? My hands are pretty beat up this winter...

Are you referring to that one they call Horse somethingorother? I have that one and IMHO it's not a fertilizer. It's more like a very thin clear coat.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:00 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

mrsbadmouth wrote:
The thing is, it's not new to not be able to airmail polish. /quote]
You're right it's not, but most people have no idea. I've had US friends go to send me polish (as a surprise) only to let me know the people at the post office told them no and then I have to explain it to them.

zelavie wrote:
No! That is SO not cool about A England!! I'm still waiting for my order that I placed on Jan. 13 - hopefully there will be no problems. I just love their formula so much.

bluedawg wrote:
i know, i'm really sad for them and for us... hopefully it will get sorted out. i *did* receive a shipping notice so i believe mine made it out of the UK, but they haven't arrived yet... fingers crossed!

I've emailed them but haven't heard back. If they haven't set it, I've asked if they can send mine to my sis in England and she can get them to me instead.

And Urban Decay responded to my email: the Naked Nail Polish set contains no animal ingredients - YAY!!

ETA: I have been thinking about buying a fast drying top coat and a cuticle remover - any recommendations or advice on products to avoid? Ta!

Reply to topic  [ 7477 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 248, 249, 250, 251, 252, 253, 254 ... 300  Next