| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Help. Unidentified thing on Cammie's face. Vet/EmergencyVet?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:56 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

So, I just noticed a growth or boil or something on Cammie's face and it's really freaking me out. I feel like it's something fairly new, but her coat is long right now so I don't know what it's from. She doesn't seem to be bothered by it at all, even when I touch the area to try to get a closer look, but still. I feel like this just came out of nowhere and am really freaked out.

Obviously, the vet is closed until Monday. What should I do? I could try to take her to the Emergency Vet but I'm not sure if this is an emergency situation...

Post subject: Re: Help. Unidentified thing on Cammie's face. Vet/Emergency
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:11 pm 
Impressive boner

How big is it? Is it bothering her?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:12 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

I think it's a tick... I still have no idea what to do...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:48 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

if it's just a tick get some tweezers. you need to get as close to the head of the tick as possible and just pull. the head needs to come out for some reason. that's like the important thing.

then if you want you can wipe the area with a cotton ball of hydrogen peroxide.

to kill the tick i just take an empty container out of the recycle bucket and pour some rubbing alcohol into it and dump the tick it.
i think it drowns them or something. they are pretty indestructable but that works and i think you can burn them.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:49 pm 
Chip Strong

If you really think it's a tick, I'd take her in to the e-vet to have it removed. I've never had to deal with ticks, but I'm pretty sure I've read the sooner they're removed, the lower the chances of getting Lyme disease or other nasties from it are.

Edit: lisapunk posted while I was typing. If you can remove it yourself, go for that.

Also, maybe post a picture of it? My cats have gotten sebaceous cysts before and when I first say them I totally thought it was a tick. They both just sort of popped off and I just flushed the area with salt water for a few days to prevent infection, so it could be that too?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:56 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

LisaPunk wrote:
if it's just a tick get some tweezers. you need to get as close to the head of the tick as possible and just pull. the head needs to come out for some reason. that's like the important thing.

Yup, ticks are gross, but removing them is not a big deal. But do make sure it's a tick before you try to pull it out!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:00 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

Simply_Love wrote:
If you really think it's a tick, I'd take her in to the e-vet to have it removed. I've never had to deal with ticks, but I'm pretty sure I've read the sooner they're removed, the lower the chances of getting Lyme disease or other nasties from it are.

i would not swear upon this info but i swear i thought i read/heard once that a tick needs to be attached and fully engorged and then drop off on it's own and that's when the lyme/other bad stuff is released into the dog's blood stream so if you can take it off yourself you should be fine. (again im not 100% sure if that's accurate)

if you're totally freaking out you can save the tick and call your vet and i think they can test the tick to see if it is a carry of lyme/anaplasmosis.

removing the tick should be relatively simple, so i wouldnt waste your money on the evet unless you're totally freaking out over it but i live in tick country so i have to do it all the time (ick)

but yes! what raspberry said make sure it's a tick before you try and remove it!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:01 pm 
Chip Strong

raspberrycomplaint wrote:
LisaPunk wrote:

Yup, ticks are gross, but removing them is not a big deal. But do make sure it's a tick before you try to pull it out!

Indeed. It is easy to pull out a tick, but you should use rubbing alcohol to clean the area and your tweezers before removal. You can save the tick in a jar if you want the vet to try to ID it. Not all ticks carry the same diseases.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:02 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

also i dont think you live in an area that has a lot of lyme or tick diseases so i wouldnt worry too much.

my in laws are from outside syracuse and i think they said they they dont have a lot of ticks or tick diseases out there.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:30 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

Thank you everyone for your advice. It definitely was a tick... which dumbfounds me because this past week it's been bitter cold here. Two weeks ago we had 65 degree day and went for a walk in the woods. I can only think that it got on her then, but that makes me feel horrible that she might have had it for so long and I didn't notice. I feel like such a jerk. I should keep flea and tick preventative on her year-round, but I didn't. I suck.

Anyway, my sister-in-law came over and took it out for me (I was just too much of a wreck). She's pretty sure she got most/all of it and I wiped the area with an antiseptic wipe. Hopefully she will be fine, but I have to leave Monday morning for a week-long business trip so I'm going to have to leave her with my parents and have them keep an eye on her.

Thanks again for the replies!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:34 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

Also, Google image search has been really disgusting/helpful today.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:34 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

LisaPunk wrote:
i would not swear upon this info but i swear i thought i read/heard once that a tick needs to be attached and fully engorged and then drop off on it's own and that's when the lyme/other bad stuff is released into the dog's blood stream so if you can take it off yourself you should be fine. (again im not 100% sure if that's accurate)

i've learned way, way, way too much about this over the past two months. in general, ticks alternate between sucking blood and injecting saliva into the feeding site, in roughly fifteen-minute cycles, so they start dumping whatever bad stuff they have in them into their host right away. they do have to be attached and actively feeding for a minimum length of time in order to inject a high-enough pathogen load to cause infection, but that length of time varies with the disease, the type of tick, and the animal being fed on. some things can be transmitted in the first 24 hours. it is usually true that the risk of acquiring a tick-transmitted illness increases the longer the tick is attached, so you always want to get a tick off as soon as you spot it, but who knows how long it's been there by then.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:23 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I'm glad you figured out what it was!

Don't feel bad, ticks happen! One time I didn't discover a tick on my pup's neck until it was as big as the tip of my thumb, because his long hair just obscured it. I felt really bad, but what can you do. I also don't keep my dog on flea & tick meds in the winter, but I have started to this year because he keeps getting fleas when we go out. Bah! From my own experience, sometimes when you are pulling out the tick the head will separate from the body and stay in the skin which can cause a bad infection! It sounds like you guys took care of everything, but I just wanted to add my 2 cents.

Can you tell if it was a deer tick? Aren't those the ones that transmit lyme disease on the east coast?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:35 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

I'm not sure what kind it was, and I'm not up to more googling to find out. She's due for her annual check up with the vet soon, so I guess I'll talk with them about having her tested. I will die if she has lyme disease. I'm still so shaken. I can't eat and I just want to clean everything. Ugh!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:06 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Nicole wrote:
I'm not sure what kind it was, and I'm not up to more googling to find out. She's due for her annual check up with the vet soon, so I guess I'll talk with them about having her tested. I will die if she has lyme disease. I'm still so shaken. I can't eat and I just want to clean everything. Ugh!

I hope you get excellent news at the vet! Fortunately, I think that lyme is not transmitted that often and apparently some dogs don't even get symptoms if they are infected. Fingers crossed for you guys!