| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Chipotle testing tofu
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:49 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

That's why it's the Devil's Herb.

I wish I liked it, really I do, but I just can't.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:56 pm 
WRETCHED

brian wrote:
Ahhhhh I have a team and we're winning!

We're #1!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:11 am 
Keepin' It Seal

lavawitch wrote:
But cilantro is a known food for specific genetic based hatred. I think it's something like 10% of the population? They could easily offer plain rice or something cilantro free too. It's like how Panera puts cilantro in their only vegan sandwich. Why?!

Most Chipotles (all the ones near me at least) offer plain brown rice also. You just have to ask for it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:05 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

linanil wrote:
brian wrote:
Ahhhhh I have a team and we're winning!

We're #1!

Oppressive majority!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:16 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

lavawitch wrote:
But cilantro is a known food for specific genetic based hatred. I think it's something like 10% of the population? They could easily offer plain rice or something cilantro free too. It's like how Panera puts cilantro in their only vegan sandwich. Why?!

I'm with you on that cilantro hummus at Panera. It is NASTY. And as I stated earlier, I don't generally dislike cilantro.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:23 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

joyfulgirl wrote:
lavawitch wrote:

Most Chipotles (all the ones near me at least) offer plain brown rice also. You just have to ask for it.

Huh, the Chipoltes near me offer brown rice as well, but it's still with lime and cilantro. They also ask if you want white or brown rice. Must be a regional thing?

I wonder if you could just ask for plain rice? A lot of restaurants have more options than they list on the menu, and since Chipolte is very much a "however you want it" type of place, I wouldn't be totally surprised if they had just plain rice in the back for people who don't want the cilantro one.

Personally, I really like cilantro, but it definitely has a very strong flavor. I can see how even the littlest bit would just ruin it for someone who can't stand it and having a plain rice option too would be nice. (I'm that way with cloves. The flavor makes me super nauseous. A friend made me muffins and used pumpkin pie spice, and all I could taste the second I bit into it was cloves. Bleh.)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:50 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

joyfulgirl wrote:
lavawitch wrote:

they have the brown rice option around here too and i dont think it has cilantro in it. i was kinda thinking i wish it did have the cilantro in it cause i prefer brown rice but i also like the cilantro.

you dont usually have to specifically ask for it either it's one of the choices so they are usually like "white or brown rice?" like they are like "black or pinto beans?"

It's just funny to think that we could go through years of this, become the president of the damn country, and still, we'd be eating pasta with veggies at every. damn. function.~~Joyfulgirl

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:52 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

There isn't a Chipotle where I live. . . just one in my parents' town (about two hours away). That's probably a good thing though, because I love it and would spend too much money eating there a lot. I wish the pinto beans at Chipotle were vegan, though, like at Moe's. . . I feel like I'm in a tiny minority of people who prefer pintos over black beans.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:12 am 
WELFARIST!

Down with cilantro! The smell alone can make me puke.

eta: I wish I could share Boloco with the rest of you. They already have tofu, cilantro-less rice and crazy awesome burritos. I usually get the Teriyaki tofu or the Bangkok Thai tofu. They also have fajita veggies when you're not feeling tofu that day.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:17 am 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

Mr. Shankly wrote:

eta: I wish I could share Boloco with the rest of you. They already have tofu, cilantro-less rice and crazy awesome burritos. I usually get the Teriyaki tofu or the Bangkok Thai tofu. They also have fajita veggies when you're not feeling tofu that day.

I don't think this is a thing. Is this a thing?

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:21 am 
WELFARIST!

I think so! I've heard the myths.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:38 am 
WRETCHED

I was thinking about it though, its funny, I love cilantro but parsley is something I have started to learn to love because I do think its taste is overpowering.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:14 am 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

Haha, I was going to say- we have Boloco in Boston! And then I realized I didn't know what Gallifrey was and should google that. Sounded like someplace in Ireland. ;) I've only been once, but the teriyaki tofu was good.

I think you can learn to like cilantro, and I say that based on a completely scientific study wherein I used to dislike it and now I don't dislike it as much. I still don't want whole leaves on anything, but I will actually buy it now to mince up and put in things like rice or soup.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:41 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Simply_Love wrote:
joyfulgirl wrote:
lavawitch wrote:

Huh, the Chipoltes near me offer brown rice as well, but it's still with lime and cilantro. They also ask if you want white or brown rice. Must be a regional thing?

I wonder if you could just ask for plain rice? A lot of restaurants have more options than they list on the menu, and since Chipolte is very much a "however you want it" type of place, I wouldn't be totally surprised if they had just plain rice in the back for people who don't want the cilantro one.

Personally, I really like cilantro, but it definitely has a very strong flavor. I can see how even the littlest bit would just ruin it for someone who can't stand it and having a plain rice option too would be nice. (I'm that way with cloves. The flavor makes me super nauseous. A friend made me muffins and used pumpkin pie spice, and all I could taste the second I bit into it was cloves. Bleh.)

The thing with cloves is that there is a very very very fine line between the right amount, which in most cases is just a teeny teeny pinch, and too much...and once you cross over into "too much" territory, it's completely ruined. I love cloves, but even if one likes the taste, more than that "right amount" is going to make the food taste completely gross.

I'm a cilantro lover myself, and I put it in my own food a lot, but I always ask first if I'm cooking for someone else, just like I would ask about food allergies! I think it's kind of like spice tolerance. I love spicy food, but I know it can render foods completely inedible for people who don't, so I wouldn't just assume that everyone wants that.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:20 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

Mr. Shankly wrote:

ugh im so jealous of people who have access to Bolocco. ive been there i think twice. they have a Thai peanut thing right? so good.

It's just funny to think that we could go through years of this, become the president of the damn country, and still, we'd be eating pasta with veggies at every. damn. function.~~Joyfulgirl

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:27 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

lilyyw wrote:
There isn't a Chipotle where I live. . . just one in my parents' town (about two hours away). That's probably a good thing though, because I love it and would spend too much money eating there a lot. I wish the pinto beans at Chipotle were vegan, though, like at Moe's. . . I feel like I'm in a tiny minority of people who prefer pintos over black beans.

I prefer pinto beans almost always.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:04 pm 
Emotionally Allergic to Dairy

LisaPunk wrote:
Mr. Shankly wrote:

ugh im so jealous of people who have access to Bolocco. ive been there i think twice. they have a Thai peanut thing right? so good.

I loooooove Boloco. I always try to go when I'm back in Boston.

Plus, they seem to just have a really good, responsible business model and really happy employees who are treated well. I like the mentality of their business.

I just wish they offered vegan sour cream or cheese or SOMETHING, because so many of the burritos sound SO GOOD but start to be kinda boring if you take out all the non-vegan things.

Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:29 pm 
Naked Under Apron

brian wrote:
ijustdiedinside wrote:
brian wrote:
This article http://www.brandeating.com/2013/01/news ... ption.html compares the preparation to that of the barbacoa beef. I never had it, but my friend loves it. I don't think it's really Chipotle's way to make a bland tofu when everything else there is pretty heavily seasoned.

I would be totally thrilled if this showed up at my local Chipotle! Moe's does tofu in their burritos but the closest Moe's is an hour away, and their tofu is pretty lightly seasoned. I wouldn't go so far as to call it bland, but it isn't thrilling.

oh really? It seems like Moe's is opening up a bunch of locations in NY and one is opening a few blocks away. That's good to know. I'll take lightly seasoned tofu over no tofu, I guess

Moe's is kind of great because when you walk in, the employees are supposed to shout "WELCOME TO MOE'S!" except half of the time, they're only half paying attention so it ends up being "welcome to moe's."

I worked at a Moe's in college and we had to sign something saying we would yell that when customers entered. Except the guys that worked in the back would just hear us start saying it and chime in with "...ooooeess."

I actually loved the tofu at moe's. It's kind of a soft tofu (not extra firm) and they use the same marinade they use for the steak. It's a bit of oil, vinegar, spices, etc. They throw it on the griddle with the marinade/seasoning. Depending on who is cooking it can be light or heavily seasoned. It definitely wasn't pressed and marinated at our Moe's. This was quite a few years ago, though.

I prefer Moe's over Chipotle any day because of the tofu.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:20 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

I hope the tofu is like the baraccoa (or whatever) beef they have. I remember it from pre-veg days, and it was pretty yummy.

But, if the tofu fails (like the Gaiden did-bad marketing, i seen it!) It will be sad, but not a total loss. The veggie bowl they have is pretty great, with the veggies and guac. Could be worse. I like that they now have cilantro BROWN rice. I love brown rice. And cilantro.

But you can totally get either white or brown without the cilantro, you just gotta ask!

But really, it comes down to how they market the new product. They totally failed last time. Need to advertise it. Free samples! do some free tofu on bowls the first weekend. Coupons. i have a plethora of ideas. HIRE ME.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:09 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Ate a bowl last night at chipotle. The lady who slapped on the guac put on a ton. I nearly leaped over the sneeze guard to kiss her. Add yum cilantro!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:22 am 
Keepin' It Seal

I've never had the option of brown rice with cilantro. Well, I only go once in a while so I'm likely to miss things. I've been craving chipotle for days thanks to this thread. I love how generous they are with the guac.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:26 pm 
A Bad Person

USA Today wrote an article about how sofritas are expanding to include Washington, Oregon, and Vancouver, AND they got veganism right (no honey), AND they quoted Isa a lot!

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/bus ... s/2583869/

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:36 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

I just don't understand why it's taking them so long to just offer tofu everywhere. It doesn't seem to be hurting Moes one bit to offer it at every single store... C'mon, Chipotle!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:41 pm 
Dead by dawn

Sweet, I know what I'm having for lunch tomorrow!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:49 pm 
A Bad Person

Nicole wrote:
I just don't understand why it's taking them so long to just offer tofu everywhere. It doesn't seem to be hurting Moes one bit to offer it at every single store... C'mon, Chipotle!

For real. Also, I've read elsewhere that they're testing bacon-less pinto beans, which would be pretty awesome if they spread that around too! I can't find any solid information on where it's being tested though.

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next