| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Nausea induced by public food indulgences...normal?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:47 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Jonny Guitar wrote:
couroupita wrote:
I actually thought it was pretty funny that last summer we were grilling portabellos on our patio and our upstairs neighbor was like "oh man, someone's grilling STEAK and it smells AMAZING1!!!111!!!11!" and then I shouted back that it was mushrooms, which resulted in silence. Ha ha ha!

The people above me are huge (literally) meat eaters and they said to me that they are going to break my door down and steal my dinners because of all the fantastic aromas they get. I responded, "Sure come on down...but you know I am a vegan right...like, no meat." Silence and then, "Why don't you eat meat? You don't need to lose any weight!"

Ha! You should invite them over for dinner!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:56 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

I totally agree. The worst thing for me is the smell from McDonald's, I try to avoid it as much as I can. How can normal people associate that smell with food?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:09 am 
Flounceiad 2011

lavawitch wrote:
Cheese, especially cooked cheese, is doing it to me lately. It's like I went from mildly craving cheese once in a while to overnight being wholly grossed out.
Yes; whether warm or cold, it just smells like baby puke to me; the smell of melted butter is just as bad. Something about it just says "rancid grease." Yuck.

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:39 am 
Saggy Butt

I knew I was becoming "that" vegan when I was walking through Whole Foods a couple of years ago, and thought, "Wow, something is really, really moldy in here. How strange!" and then realized I was in the cheese department. My nose now I identifies cheese smell as mold.

And now I also have to hold my breath walking by the butcher case at my corner grocery, because it just smells like blood to me.

Ick.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:29 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

yeah, cheese is totally puke. and chicken noodle soup is pit stink. (which makes complete sense, since it's an odor from a body)

i don't know if i've ever gotten nauseous, but i very much do not like the smell.

(2 specific exclusions. both from food carts in center city philly. maybe because you can't really escape the scent aside from taking a different route. cheesesteaks and hotdogs. maybe it's childhood nostalgia. i used to regularly be given a hotdog in a thermos of hot water and a bun in grade school for lunch. and we also always had a box of steak-umm in the freezer. but i also love caramelized onions, so grain of salt and all.)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:44 am 
Nailed to the V

I agree with everything I have read on this thread. I find the smells to be very upsetting because I can't help but visualize the full story of how the meat got there. I don't think omni's get that at all. They're like "We're not asking you to EAT it, what's the problem??"
On a related note, I find that I am better off not going into 'regular' grocery stores at all. I look at what they're selling and what's in people's carts and can't believe that people would eat those chemically-laden foods, much less give it to their kids. All of it is easier for me to stomach when it's Whole Foods or Trader Joe's.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:24 am 
Keepin' It Seal

I've been vegan for over 6 years now but I still live with omnis and one of them cooks meat often. Sometimes I still think it smells good, but I hate how the smell lingers. and if I didn't remember to close my door, I have to light a candle for a while until it's gone.
The smell of the meat section of the supermarket is the worst, though. Yuck.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:33 pm 
Nailed to the V

joyfulgirl wrote:
The smell of the meat section of the supermarket is the worst, though. Yuck.

and at least half of the supermarkets around me have their tofu section right next to the meat section (almost as a part of it). I heard an argument that suggested it was good placement because it gave the omnis an in-your-face reminder that there is an alternative to SAD; however, I much prefer the stores that have the tofu stuff as an offshoot of the vegetable section so don't have to see and smell.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:13 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I have to hold my breath while I pass cured meat section. In one supermarket I frequent it's between health food section and fresh produce section.

However, I came here to report something else. I just saw a photo of head cheese popsicles in one food magazine.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:13 pm 
Huffs Nooch

For me the worst things are pork (sausage is the worst) and microwave dinners, especially those with cheese.

Beef, nature's #1 source of moisture.--Limone

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:30 pm 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

rhelune wrote:
I have to hold my breath while I pass cured meat section. In one supermarket I frequent it's between health food section and fresh produce section.

However, I came here to report something else. I just saw a photo of head cheese popsicles in one food magazine.

That might be the grossest thing ever. Weird meaty-foodies. Not cool.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:19 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

for me it's not so much burgers, sausages/hot dogs, or cheese because I can pretend it's veg... and resembles some of the food I feed my clan - but animal parts with bones or faces or when you can actually see the rigored muscle tissue... i wanna puke just thinking about it...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:13 pm 
Semen Strong

I was in CostCo and almost barfed at the smell of a sausage sample station. OMG HOTDOGS SMELL TERRIBLE!

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles