| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13414 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119 ... 537  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:43 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

Haha my mom always puts Splenda on strawberries too. Of course she also salts McDonalds fries, so there's that. I think her taste buds are dysfunctional.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:06 pm 
Grandfathered In

DEG wrote:
I'm part of an online mom group. Today one of the moms posted asking for advice for other vegetarian/vegan moms about how to deal with meat cravings when pregnant. Of course, a chorus of other women come on with their uber helpful "just eat the meat" comments. I told them they were being a bunch of crassholes.

It was just her body's way of saying she's lacking gristle.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:32 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

FootFace wrote:
DEG wrote:
I'm part of an online mom group. Today one of the moms posted asking for advice for other vegetarian/vegan moms about how to deal with meat cravings when pregnant. Of course, a chorus of other women come on with their uber helpful "just eat the meat" comments. I told them they were being a bunch of crassholes.
And ground up eyeballs. Fetuses love that shiitake.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:46 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Desdemona wrote:
FootFace wrote:
DEG wrote:
And ground up eyeballs. Fetuses love that shiitake.

You guys are awesome. I suggested tofurky since she was craving a roast beef sandwich, and they are my favorite for deli slices. I also gave her the link to happycow.net and told her to find a good vegan restaurant near her. Perhaps if she's still craving meat though I'll suggest the gristle.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:49 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

DEG wrote:
You guys are awesome. I suggested tofurky since she was craving a roast beef sandwich, and they are my favorite for deli slices. I also gave her the link to happycow.net and told her to find a good vegan restaurant near her. Perhaps if she's still craving meat though I'll suggest the gristle.
And the eyeballs! They're filled with vitamin...eye.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:51 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

if popular media have taught me anything, it's that strong cravings for meat during a pregnancy mean you are probably carrying some kind of demon baby. don't feed the devil! cleanse it with soy!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:53 pm 
WELFARIST!

Cleanse it with kombucha!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:23 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

When you're excited to go to a vegan cooking demo and then the chef rages about the "evil trinity" of salt, sugar, and oil. First off, classifying any particular food as "evil" bums me out. Food cannot have moral qualities, it's food!

I have absolutely no problems with anyone abstaining from SOS--do what you wanna do--but she was being obnoxiously pushy. I'd also like to be mean at this moment and say that her chilli desperately needed salt.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:27 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Amelie wrote:
the "evil trinity" of salt, sugar, and oil
That's a funny way of spelling delicious.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:59 am 
Inflexitarian

Desdemona wrote:
LisaPunk wrote:
i went to my friend's "brunch" baby shower.

i ate a shiitake ton of fruit salad.
fruit salad seems to be the only thing omni's dont purposely de-veganize.
Unless they're from Planet Freak and ruin it with marshmallows or some sort of "creme" topping!

I make a fruit dip with peanut butter, soy yogurt, and marshmallow creme. It's good. *Freaky* good.

But yeah, it goes on the side.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:37 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Amelie wrote:
When you're excited to go to a vegan cooking demo and then the chef rages about the "evil trinity" of salt, sugar, and oil. First off, classifying any particular food as "evil" bums me out. Food cannot have moral qualities, it's food!

I have absolutely no problems with anyone abstaining from SOS--do what you wanna do--but she was being obnoxiously pushy. I'd also like to be mean at this moment and say that her chilli desperately needed salt.

God, this shiitake makes me so mad. Foods are not evil or dirty or not-clean or whatever the hell else people dream up.

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:04 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

ndpittman wrote:
stuckunderhere wrote:
LisaPunk wrote:
i went to my friend's "brunch" baby shower.

i ate a shiitake ton of fruit salad.
fruit salad seems to be the only thing omni's dont purposely de-veganize.

I've had friends add honey to theirs... what the fizzle, its already sweet enough with all that fruit anyway! *grumble*

THIS! My mom was talking about putting Splenda on strawberries, and I cried a little bit for her poor sense of taste. And Splenda! Egads!

I like strawberry slices coated in sugar sometimes. It is a delicious dessert!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:13 am 
Ninja Master

Strawberries with sugar on are delicious. Splenda is forking vile though.

Amelie wrote:
Food cannot have moral qualities, it's food!

Word.

Also, I have to bite my tongue when dieting people talk about only eating 'clean meat'!

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:25 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

Amelie wrote:

i hate when the no oil stuff gets mixed into what people think veganism is about. i mean if that's what people want to live their life by but then by all means go for it and eat bland food all the live long day but it's not really veganism. veganism is about not harming animals and ethics and "stuff" not believing oil and sugar is the devil.

i feel like ive tried some of the recipes from the chefs/groups that are all into that no oil/sugar/salt thing and it's always so bland i want to dump a ton of salt all over it and normally i dont even salt my food. moderation cant be a bad thing right?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:55 am 
Semen Strong

I really like Fat-free Vegan though - her stuff is no to low oil and tastes great and comes out really well.

I can stand combining a few things - no oil, no sugar, no salt, no gluten, no soy, no wheat, no nuts but at some point it just becomes ridiculous.

My pet peeve of the day is that after 6 years of eating vegan food with me, I made AFR's Mango BBQ Beans with polenta, guac and sour cream, and my husband asked "So where is the protein." As made the dish (he ate half the recipe) would give about 40g of protein. Given that he was vegan for 9 months, you'd think this wouldn't be news to him...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:01 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

baps wrote:
Strawberries with sugar on are delicious. Splenda is forking vile though.

Amelie wrote:
Food cannot have moral qualities, it's food!

Word.

Also, I have to bite my tongue when dieting people talk about only eating 'clean meat'!

kimba: I was thinking that sometimes a little sugar might be good, especially if the berries are tart, but like, SUGAR. Those calories saved by using Splenda actually make the baby Jesus cry.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:05 am 
WRETCHED

Tofulish wrote:
I really like Fat-free Vegan though - her stuff is no to low oil and tastes great and comes out really well.

Yeah, I think her stuff is great but also she isn't too concerned about a bit of fat in some of her recipes and she'll call it out for those that care like "hey this recipe is definitely not low fat".

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:12 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

linanil wrote:
Tofulish wrote:

Yeah, I think her stuff is great but also she isn't too concerned about a bit of fat in some of her recipes and she'll call it out for those that care like "hey this recipe is definitely not low fat".

Yes, I cook a lot from her blog because her recipes are great, but also because I like her writing style and the fact that she is so sensible and down to earth about everything. I feel like she is one of the few low fat bloggers who maintains a really sane and sensible approach to the whole thing. She basically avoids oil except for a spritz to grease a pan when baking sometimes, but she does use soy and nuts and avocado, and also uses salt.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:21 am 

kimba wrote:

when I was a kid, I used to get babysat by a lady in the village. she had many kids herself and used to make us the most delicious snacks. but my favourite was how she used to sprinkle sugar on fruit! usually just oranges/clementine etc and strawberries. It felt so naughty, especially because my mum highly disapproved! Her fruit salad was just fruit and lemon juice. I was a kid with a very sweet tooth and all the extra sugar was delightful!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:15 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

vixki wrote:
kimba wrote:

when I was a kid, I used to get babysat by a lady in the village. she had many kids herself and used to make us the most delicious snacks. but my favourite was how she used to sprinkle sugar on fruit! usually just oranges/clementine etc and strawberries. It felt so naughty, especially because my mum highly disapproved! Her fruit salad was just fruit and lemon juice. I was a kid with a very sweet tooth and all the extra sugar was delightful!
I remember once when I was little my aunt bought a tin of fruit salad made with apple juice instead of syrup because it was healthier. We all looked so sad as we ate it...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:10 am 

That's so funny to me. I never knew that anything was put on fruit salad. I just always thought it was cut up fruit.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:20 am 

ndpittman wrote:
That's so funny to me. I never knew that anything was put on fruit salad. I just always thought it was cut up fruit.

you usually have to put something on it to stop it from browning, else apples/bananas/pears etc go all brown and gunky and gross. putting lemon juice mixed with a little icing sugar on it and stirring through works :)

or apple juice, but having been brought up on the asda smartprice juice from concentrate, i can't stand apple juice, bleh.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:41 am 

vixki wrote:
ndpittman wrote:

you usually have to put something on it to stop it from browning, else apples/bananas/pears etc go all brown and gunky and gross. putting lemon juice mixed with a little icing sugar on it and stirring through works :)

or apple juice, but having been brought up on the asda smartprice juice from concentrate, i can't stand apple juice, bleh.

That explains why my fruit salad is usually gunky and gross! It's fine if I eat it when I make it, but if I bring it to work for lunch, it's a little less than delightful to eat.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:42 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

My mom puts jello powder and Equal in her fruit salad. I've never eaten it, but it looks NAAAASTY. And it's always a big hit with the omni crowd, so there you go. People are gross.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:44 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

ashley wrote:
My mom puts jello powder and Equal in her fruit salad. I've never eaten it, but it looks NAAAASTY. And it's always a big hit with the omni crowd, so there you go. People are gross.

Ew.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13414 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119 ... 537  Next