| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Anyone have a Roku box?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:06 pm 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

Oooh I've been wondering about Plex, but not sure how it works. Does it mean you need a computer on that is streaming it and the roku works as a router and shows it through the tv, or does it just work?

I am so far sad that there are very few live streaming channels on roku. It just seems that there should at least be over-the-air channels available for streaming! Dudes, antennas don't work anymore, so even if I want to watch it over the air, it doesn't work, I'd have to get a roof antenna or something!

As for private channels, they keep disappearing! So quickly! Like apparently HGTV had one for a minute and it was gone. Even PBS had one and its gone now too? SAD.

I use the radio streaming stuff the most outside of netflix I'd say. I've read that Time Warner signed a deal to do streaming through the ROKU and Dish is working with them too, for a cheapo a-la-carte cable through roku thing, though espn pitches a fit saying noone will want a cheap one because it doesn't come with 200000 sports channels.

Actually, that's why I DON'T WANT CABLE! Because to get the channels I really want, I need to pay the hefty price for sports channels, and I don't want to, so I don't have cable.

Anyway, I sure do hope some cheap-non-sports or a-la-carte cable thing comes out on roku! i would totally pay like $20 for educational (or subeducational but whatever) and travel type channels to stream through this thing.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:14 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

You have to install the Plex Media Server software on a computer and then the Roku channel finds the server. It's open source so it's available for PC, Mac, and Linux, and free. ESPN3 is one of the things on Plex, though we're not sports people so I can't vouch for how well it works.

Antennas do still work -- you just need a digital one. We have a digital antenna mounted on our roof using a satellite dish mount. We get excellent reception and about 25 channels over the air...a good portion of which are religious. But we mostly watched broadcast TV when we had cable so we get the shows that we want to watch.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:08 pm 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

So the computer needs to be on and wireless for Plex to work? That is my big question.

I have a digital antenna but its still a small one (looks like wings and is plastic) cheapo antenna
And it looks pretty cheapo. I got it as a hand-me-down. But the mountains here make it really hard to get channels in well! I have seen plans for a DIY good antenna for cheap but I've not gotten around to it yet. like this: http://www.popularmechanics.com/technol ... tv-antenna

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:16 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I have tried Plex, unfortunately it seems to crepe out half the time on my computer. In theory it's a great idea though, maybe on a newer computer it will work better. Yes, your computer needs to be on with the Plex server running for it work.

Antennas totally still work, I can pick up 20+ channels with my basic rabbit ears indoor antenna and a new-ish TV (no converter box needed). In theory one could pick up HDTV signals with an old-school antenna (plus a digital converter box if you have an old TV), but you may have better luck getting a "digital" antenna if you live in a rural area because there will be more signal isolation on the HDTV channels. Only a third of the ones I get are in English, hence the desire for streaming subscriptions, but I get all the basic networks and PBS no problem. Your results may vary depending on how rural the area you live in is. You may even try moving the antenna to a different part of the room... there are a few channels we don't get unless I move the thing like an inch, and then they come in perfectly. edit: If you really live in the sticks, you'll probably have to do a roof-mounted antenna no matter what.

I would love cheapo a-la-carte cable channels, depending on what's on offer and how much it is, of course. I hope to see more stuff like that (non-sports) in the future.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:02 am 
WRETCHED

We don't have a Roku but we had cable for a couple years, then gave that up, did Netflix, got busy, gave that up and would hook up our computer to our tv to watch things like Hulu and then watch whatever DVDs we had (we looked for bargains and watched prices on stuff we wanted). Anyway, we have 2 tvs, 1 in the basement for exercising and 1 in the living room. The one in the basement (an old tube tv) ended up dying and we bought an internet connected tv that has stuff built into it and swapped our living room tv with that. So we basically use that to watch stuff on Amazon and listen to music from Pandora.

Not Roku but that might be an option for people looking for alternatives to cable.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:19 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

In order for Plex to work, the computer needs to be on and connected to the same home network as the Roku, either wired or wireless.

My issues with Plex seem to be related to having the stream stop midway through the show and it won't pick back up. The computer is still on and working fine, and is only about 1.5 years old. Or else it wants to play super duper high quality no matter what I tell it, and it buffers every minute.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:52 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

karichelle wrote:
My issues with Plex seem to be related to having the stream stop midway through the show and it won't pick back up. The computer is still on and working fine, and is only about 1.5 years old. Or else it wants to play super duper high quality no matter what I tell it, and it buffers every minute.

Yep, that's the same thing that happens to me! I have an older computer (2007 vintage I think) so I thought that was the problem, but I guess not. We pay for extra-fast cable so I haven't really had issues with other streaming services... I really wonder why it does that.

Linanil's suggestion of an internet TV is also a good one... we got a Roku because they were only $50 and we already have a new-ish TV. Before we had the Roku we would just plug my boyfriend's computer into the TV via HDMI and set it up as the monitor, which would make whatever we were streaming nice and big on the TV. Not the most convenient solution, but you can play anything that could normally be played on a computer that way, plus some stuff that won't stream on the Roku at all, like the restricted content on Hulu+. If you have a new enough computer and TV to do that that would probably be the first thing I'd try when I was considering cutting cable. Seriously though, between what's available on the internet and antenna TV, there is more than one person could ever watch. I haven't had cable since 2006 and I have never felt deprived of TV.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:58 am 
Chip Strong

We traded cable for Roku years ago and I don't miss cable at all. We have Netflix, Hulu Plus, and Amazon Prime (which gives student discounts if you sign up with your .edu email - or used to). All of these together don't cost as much as our cable with DVR box used to!

Hulu Plus is good for watching new shows pretty much right away
Amazon is good for some free movies and buying newer movies for about $4 each
Netflix is good for TV series, other movies

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:20 pm 
WRETCHED

erynne936 wrote:
We traded cable for Roku years ago and I don't miss cable at all. We have Netflix, Hulu Plus, and Amazon Prime (which gives student discounts if you sign up with your .edu email - or used to). All of these together don't cost as much as our cable with DVR box used to!

I read a review of Amazon prime vs Netflix and from what people were saying, Netflix and Amazon have similar tv offerings. The benefits of Netflix seem to be if you watch movies. Also, I believe Amazon Prime student doesn't include the streaming video portion, only the shipping part. It sounds like you might have both though? We only have Amazon Prime and it suits us well.

If Netflix happens to have more tv shows, we'd definitely be interested because we rarely watch movies and I think Hulu+ still has commercials? We don't want any commercials so I don't think we'd go with that.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:43 pm 
Chip Strong

linanil wrote:
erynne936 wrote:

I read a review of Amazon prime vs Netflix and from what people were saying, Netflix and Amazon have similar tv offerings. The benefits of Netflix seem to be if you watch movies. Also, I believe Amazon Prime student doesn't include the streaming video portion, only the shipping part. It sounds like you might have both though? We only have Amazon Prime and it suits us well.

If Netflix happens to have more tv shows, we'd definitely be interested because we rarely watch movies and I think Hulu+ still has commercials? We don't want any commercials so I don't think we'd go with that.

On TV for Amazon vs Netflix I can't really say. I usually go to Hulu or Netflix for TV. If someone took the time to review it then they would know better than I.

My Amazon Prime has been regular not student for the past year since I graduated so I'm not sure re streaming vs. shipping.

Hulu + still has commercials. I have grown so used to them that I feel all fancy and spoiled when I watch on Netflix with no ads! I think, though I am no expert, that the reason to go with Hulu is that new/currently airing shows (New Girl, Modern Family, etc) are available on there the next day and I don't think the other services have that.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:02 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I have all three of the aforementioned services (Netflix, Hulu, Amazon). In terms of Amazon's inclusive TV offerings, I would say they are comparable to Netflix, but Amazon has additional stuff you can rent at an extra cost which is good if you want it. Also, I don't have kids, but according to my sister (who has three) Amazon has a really good selection of kid's stuff, so if you have little ones that may be worth considering.

I have mixed feelings about Hulu. I HATE the ads, though the ad breaks on Hulu are usually much shorter than they would be on broadcast TV (anywhere from 15 seconds to 90 seconds). Hulu really does have the best selection of TV shows though, old and new and even a lot of international stuff, plus they have all the Criterion stuff which isn't available on Netflix. Netflix does have a reasonable selection of TV shows, but they don't have the newest episodes and the selection is far more limited than Hulu. If I had to pick just one of those subscription services Netflix would be my first choice, just because I think their catalog of films is the best and they have enough TV series to keep me amused. If you love marathonning TV then Hulu might be a better choice, because where else can you stream all of Doogie Howser M.D. with a snap of your fingers?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:52 pm 
WRETCHED

For out TV needs, my husband wishes we had more BBC TV but their series are really short. It looks like we finished Luther and we are on season 8 of 24 (last season). We basically watch 1 tv show per night so it takes a while to burn through a tv series and we don't need recent stuff. I think we are starting Lost next as that'll keep us occupied for a few months.

Although Hulu sounds tempting, especially for international stuff, I know we tried to watch the Daily Show (which we both love) on Comedy Central and we couldn't do it due to the commercials. We are just spoiled I guess.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:14 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Hulu does have some BBC shows, but so does Netflix. Some of the same stuff and some different. If you like British costume dramas there's a decent selection on Netflix, ad-free of course. And if you really can't stand commercials then Hulu will drive you nuts, because even the short ad breaks are distracting. I actually pay for a subscription to another service with Korean TV shows, many of which are offered on Hulu with ads, but the extra subscription is worth it to me because I don't want to see any ads at all when I'm watching my stories. Personally I could live without Hulu, but my boyfriend loves it so we keep it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:46 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I know most of you have stated you don't watch sports....but I was wondering if anyone knows if there are any channels or streaming available for English Premiership Football (soccer). That is the only thing I can't get around in convincing my husband and daughter to switch. They want their Fox Soccer Channel..but I can't imagine there isn't a work around????

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:19 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I know there are private channels that pull some live streams of the games (like Nowhere TV) because I read about it... private channels have a nasty tendency to disappear at a moment's notice though, so there's no guarantee that the streams will always be around. I also haven't tested them because I don't really follow sports. I just looked at the FoxSoccer.tv website and it looks like they have a paid web subscription, so I wouldn't be shocked if they rolled out a Roku app at some point. You should totally email them to request/ask if they're developing one!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:31 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Thanks. I think I will!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:48 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I'm jumping back in this convo really late. But I never wound up getting a Roku or anything else. We cut our cable down to the basic level and then got a Hulu Plus account for 8 dollars a month. It was working fine until Portlandia started again and we couldn't watch on Hulu. So in able to watch Portlandia we had to upgrade the cable again, and it was just in time for hockey too. We can only watch the Flyers on Comcast Sportsnet, for most games anyway, and unless we upgraded the cable we wouldn't get that channel either.

One of these days there will be a smart cable company that lets you pick and choose which channels you want to pay for. Hulu kind of sucked for me because I couldn't watch anything that we couldn't get on TV, so it was like what's the point. No Portlandia, no American Horror Story, and no premium channel shows. So we cut that off and just have upgraded cable now without premium channels. Which I really freaking want cause there are like three shows on right now that I would normally be watching. But we can't afford it.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:32 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I feel like some more "a la carte" channels will be offered at some point, because it's already starting to happen now with sports channels and some international content and stuff like that. I think it's tough though, because what price would you be willing to pay for a single channel or small block of channels that would actually make it seem more affordable than bundling a whole cable subscription, once you added all the ones you wanted together? I think some people would end up paying the same for a more limited selection of channels. I hope eventually somebody determines a way to parcel it out affordably, because there are a few cable channels I'd be interested in, but otherwise I'm satisfied with watching older content on Netflix and the more limited selection of new stuff on Hulu. Also, here's one that makes me crazy: HBO already has a Roku channel for HBO-Go, but you have to be an HBO subscriber through a TV cable provider?! Bleh! Why can't one just sign up and pay for a monthly subscription to HBO if it's a separate thing anyway? I'm guessing they have some agreement with the cable providers that prohibits them from doing that or something, because otherwise that would probably big a big source of revenue for them.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:42 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Yes, that's what bothers me too. Its the agreements they have with each other that screw over the customers. I hate Comcast, but it's the only option I have if we want to watch local sports. We can't get Verizon Fios in my area. But we can get Dish, however Comcast doesn't allow Dish to have Philadelphia sports broadcast through them. If we had Dish we could watch Comcast sportsnet and get coverage for every other major city except for the one we are in. What kind of sense does that make?

I would be willing to pay 10 bucks a month for each premium channel I want, which is HBO and Showtime. But then I don't want to pay 100.00 plus dollars for every other crappy cable station I don't watch. I see what you are saying though. It's just irritating to pay for something you don't use. And then when the service is terrible on top of everything else it just makes you want to scream! No lie, within hours of upgrading my cable I was getting frozen and pixelated television. When I had the basic that wasn't happening. You would think the more money you pay for something the better the quality would be. But for Comcast it is the exact opposite.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:13 pm 
WRETCHED

We watched season 1 of American Horror story on Amazon for free but Season 2 is $21.99/season or $1.99 episode. We decided that we'll wait until it is free (it takes a while but it happens).

I know there is a lag but even buying individual episodes may be cheaper like Portlandia is also $1.99 episode (or 5% discount if you buy the season) and its most recent episode is from a week ago.

If you prefer to watch the most current shows and do so in a bundled way, then Amazon may not do it for you but if you want to watch older shows and some select newer shows then Amazon prime + buying individual episodes for favorite shows may be an option.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:30 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Netflix also has the old seasons of American Horror Story and Portlandia. Not useful if you want to watch the newest ones for free, but if you're patient they eventually get them and you can watch 'em marathon-style.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:33 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Thanks, we are caught up on old seasons and want to see the current episodes on tv right now. I am inpatient! But another thing to gripe about is that American Horror Story is not On Demand! As soon as we upgraded we were all hyped to catch up and watch it on demand, but nope they only had two episodes available and they were the most current ones. So even though we have cable back again we still can't watch it. The whole thing is just frustrating.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:18 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

linanil wrote:
We watched season 1 of American Horror story on Amazon for free but Season 2 is $21.99/season or $1.99 episode. We decided that we'll wait until it is free (it takes a while but it happens).

I know there is a lag but even buying individual episodes may be cheaper like Portlandia is also $1.99 episode (or 5% discount if you buy the season) and its most recent episode is from a week ago.

If you prefer to watch the most current shows and do so in a bundled way, then Amazon may not do it for you but if you want to watch older shows and some select newer shows then Amazon prime + buying individual episodes for favorite shows may be an option.

This is what we do. It is cheaper for us to spend around $20 per show (there are only 4-6 we are that committed to) per season than spend $60+ a month on cable. We just bought Season 3 of Downtown Abbey because Amazon made the entire season available (even the eps that haven't aired in America yet), and I am damn sick of everyone on Facebook spoiling that shiitake for me.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:12 am 
WRETCHED

yeah we are still even too cheap to buy shows. I estimate our tv watching budget, including the DVDs we buy to be around $150/year maybe even less. Since we were paying that in 2 months when we had cable, its a good thing. We do buy some DVDs and I watch for sales of DVDs of shows I really like (like Psych & Dexter). I had mentioned getting Netflix to my husband to get some possible additional tv shows and his response was he likes Amazon. I might do a month free trial just to see what we can get that might be different.

I just went through Amazon prime and marked all the free tv shows I'd like to watch and it is over 20, most of them I've never seen. Some of them are newer like Downtown Abbey (season 1 & 2 are free I think?), some are older like Alias. Alias was one I watched when it first came out but figured it would be a fun one to watch a few shows with my husband to see if he likes it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:18 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I think you can get a free month trial of Hulu too if you want to test it out, just google "month Hulu trial" or something like that. The normal trial is shorter but I found some way to sign up and get a month. Just don't forget to cancel if you decide not to keep it, because they will charge your card otherwise.

Twenty TV shows sounds like a nice healthy list. Personally I love having access to lots of old shows that have already concluded, because then you can watch them marathon-style. No waiting a week (or more) for the resolution to cliffhangers!

Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next