| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What kind of salad would you have with...
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:13 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I'm having a mini-dinner party later this week.. For the main dish I will be making a hearty lentil/veggie stew, served with some crusty bread, but my creative salad juices just aren't flowing so I can't decide what kind of salad I want to make to go with the meal. My go-to salad is chopped spinach with fruit and nuts tossed with balsamic dressing, but maybe I want to do something different. What would YOU make?

Post subject: Re: What kind of salad would you have with...
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:26 pm 
Nailed to the V

I made a massaged kale salad with quinoa, some cooled shaved lightly charred brussel sprouts, some fresh button mush slices and drizzled with light tahini dressing....little bit of nooch on the top. Served it to a bunch of omnis and they loved it and are now making massaged kale for themselves. Kales is great for parties because it doesn't wither. Massaged it in an olive oil/garlic/lemon juice/rock salt/pepper mixture.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:31 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

That sounds delicious. Our dinner guest is an omni, but I think he will enthusiastically eat anything that tastes good.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:43 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

What about a ceasar salad? Make some homemade croutons and the dressing from AFR (I'm addicted to that dressing). If you want a little more oomph I like adding different greens along with the romaine - arugula, and some thinly sliced red cabbage.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:45 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Arugula, some crunchier lettuce, Vcon maple-fig dressing, maybe some pear along with the nuts.

My answer is always arugula.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:38 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Have you dried the roasted portabello salad with spicy mustard dressing from V'con? That dressing is amazing! One of my favorite salads.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:09 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

I second massaged kale as a base for its unwilting heartiness! I also like to add cooked veggies to the raw stuff for a "company" salad; roasted sweet potatoes and/or beets go over well. And for dressing, we are currently obsessed with this warm maple-mustard concoction; I use a strong, English-stylemustard like Coleman's. And of course a sprinkling of toasted nuts never goes amiss in classing things up!

http://www.theppk.com/2011/01/roasted-yellow-beet-salad-with-warm-maple-mustard-dressing/

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:02 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

lavawitch wrote:
Arugula, some crunchier lettuce, Vcon maple-fig dressing, maybe some pear along with the nuts.

My answer is always arugula.

Mine too! I like an arugula salad with thinly sliced red onion, some cherry tomatoes, kalamata olives, and a simple mustard vinaigrette.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:20 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

My showing-off dinner party salad is tomato, red onion and pomegranate with lots of garlic and basil and a good olive oil. It never fails to impress and I got the recipe off a bona fide Spanish grandmother.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:01 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Limone wrote:
I'm having a mini-dinner party later this week.. For the main dish I will be making a hearty lentil/veggie stew, served with some crusty bread, but my creative salad juices just aren't flowing so I can't decide what kind of salad I want to make to go with the meal. My go-to salad is chopped spinach with fruit and nuts tossed with balsamic dressing, but maybe I want to do something different. What would YOU make?

The salad you described is the salad I want, plus avocado.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:13 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

As much as I love massaged kale and salads with cooked veggies and rich dressings, I like those things more when salad is a main dish.

Because the stew will probably be heavier in all ways and you have a lovely bread to feature, I'd stick with a more minimal, lighter, brightly flavored salad to balance it all out. Like lavawitch and gulliver's suggestions. Here are some more:
-Endive, granny smith apple, fennel, currants or dried apricots and almonds, with a citrus dressing.
-Any iteration of the ubiquitous fennel-celery winter salad. Shave celery, shave fennel, chop parsley. Add whatever. Pears, orange. Toasted pine nuts, pistachios. Mint. Shallot.
-Frisee, dandelion greens and butter lettuce, shaved carrot and parsnip, handfuls of fresh herbs (especially the lighter ones like chervil, savory, chives, tarragon, parsley), toasted hazelnuts, and a simple dijon dressing. Maybe something sweet thrown in there, but really highlight the greens and winter roots with herbs.
-Along the lines of that last suggestion this simple greens, pumpkin seed and cider vinaigrette salad