| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65 ... 86  Next
 Post subject: Re: dumb questions related to pregnancy and babies and stuff
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:46 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

thanks everyone. i think im getting the gist of what happens.
sounds like it will be a good time for me to get over being petrified of babies. hahaha.

ive heard nothing but amazing things about the nurses at this hospital so hopefully that will be my experience too (fingers crossed)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:46 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

You can check yourself out of the hospital anytime, but the pediatrician has to approve your baby's discharge and in my experience they seem to get suspicious of a mom who wants to leave really early. The most common reason that they wouldn't want to discharge a baby early is if you were GBS positive, in which case they want to keep an eye on your baby for 48 hours. Personally, having people checking on me all the time would have really bugged me, which is a big part of the reason I wanted a home birth. But obviously a lot of people like their postpartum hospital experience, and this is why we should all choose what makes us comfortable! Yay choice!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:10 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Here the "rule" is 24 hours after giving birth. I ended up getting to leave a bit before that because they needed the room and we were doing well.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:05 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Butternut wrote:
I didn't get help with latching issues, pumping or anything else really. So I recommend asking for help and demanding attention if you are not getting it while you're there.

The LCs at my hospital were amazing. I didn't have much problem, but I still asked lots of questions. My advice is get their help while you're in the hospital or at least confirm you're doing everything "right", because it's easier than trying to track them down later or doing it over the phone!

I had an easy delivery, but even a normal amount of bleeding or not-big-enough-to-worry-about clots can look like OHMYGODAMIDYING?!

In my experience, I didn't mind the two days, but I was definitely ready to go home when it was time. You can also advocate for yourself the night before or morning of discharge to make sure everyone is checking off their boxes to get you out! My nurse asked what time we wanted to leave and got right to work to make it happen!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:49 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I might have felt differently if I was required to stay in hospital, but I really wasn't gagging to go home from the birthing centre and we were there for three nights. We left the hospital after a few hours [in the middle of the night, trying to buckle a brand-new baby into a carseat for the first time, unsupervised, that was fun!] and drove a few minutes to the birthing centre where I had hoped to deliver.

We get three nights there fully funded, and it was just a nice place to be and hang out with our baby and have visitors without having to have a tidy house and all that. They fed me three huge vegan meals a day, there were midwives on site 24 hours a day who would check in and give you as much or as little help as you needed, but they made sure to do the basic stuff like helping with a good latch, changing nappies and how to bath the baby etc, as well as doing newborn hearing screening and the 48 hour heel prick.
They also had lactation consultants on site and free physiotherapy classes but I didn't see either while I was there.

We spent most of our time in the visitor lounge area, and it was quite nice to just have a few days with no responsibilities other than caring for the baby, as soon as we were home I was doing laundry and vacuuming and trying to cook meals, which was all fine, but I enjoyed having a break from those things and being able to focus 100% on my new baby.
There were no room tvs and we don't have any internet-capable devices so we were also shut off from the world for a few days, which I liked, but I guess others might not.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:39 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

that sounds great OWWW!! im glad you got to at least transfer to the birthing center after your birth.

i just learned last night that as of right now the hospital policy is we can only have 2 visitors at a time.

im not sure if my husband is considered a "visitor" im guessing they might let that part slide.

not sure if my bro and his fam were planning on coming to see the baby in the hospital but looks like that might not be possible. my child birth class teacher said they might let it slide if people were quiet and respectful and not hanging in the hallway but my nephews are 11 & 13 year old boys so im thinking no promises there! ;-)

apparently up until yesterday children (visitors) weren't even allowed INTO the hospital because of flu season. they had like a hospital lockdown! crazy!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:14 pm 
Semen Strong

We had no one there when I was birthing, because I just wanted to focus on us and not have anything else going on to distract me or my partner. It was quite lovely. One of my friends came to see L but that was about it. It was nice to see her, she brought stuff for us, gave hugs held the baby and left.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:39 pm 
***LIES!!!***

We had a fair number of visitors, but they came staggered so it was never overwhelming. Also I have no idea what the visitor policy really was, but it seemed like it would have been okay for us to have a dozen peopl in the lounge area if we wanted. I forgot one thing from my hospital stay - I got a massage! That was great.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:39 pm 
***LIES!!!***

We had a fair number of visitors, but they came staggered so it was never overwhelming. Also I have no idea what the visitor policy really was, but it seemed like it would have been okay for us to have a dozen peopl in the lounge area if we wanted. I forgot one thing from my hospital stay - I got a massage! That was great.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:48 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

Tofulish wrote:
We had no one there when I was birthing, because I just wanted to focus on us and not have anything else going on to distract me or my partner. It was quite lovely. One of my friends came to see L but that was about it. It was nice to see her, she brought stuff for us, gave hugs held the baby and left.

oooh i dont want ANYONE there besides my husband when im actually birthing. i mean afterwards :-)

i also learned last night that this hospital is a teaching hospital and my birth class teacher went on this crazy rant about too many vaginal exams. she was like "YOU DONT NEED EVERY TOM DICK AND HARRY MED STUDENT GIVING YOU A VAGINAL EXAM"

i almost died laughing. i totally agree with her but she was so passionate over the whole thing.

one more thing for ye old birth plan....

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:09 pm 
***LIES!!!***

You can also just refuse to see students altogether. I don't think it's worth putting much about vaginal exams in your birth plan, since any person asking to give you one beyond what you and your doc talk about is unlikely to read your plan (ie students). You could put a sign on the door, though, or just say no thank you repeatedly (or have your husband or nurse do it).

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:58 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

LisaPunk wrote:
i also learned last night that this hospital is a teaching hospital and my birth class teacher went on this crazy rant about too many vaginal exams. she was like "YOU DONT NEED EVERY TOM DICK AND HARRY MED STUDENT GIVING YOU A VAGINAL EXAM"

That is so funny.
Something about having my first kid turned me from being rather modest (right before going into labour) to totally not caring who sees what (immediately after labour...a nurse actually walked in on me in the shower and was apologising so profusely, until I interrupted and I was all, "dude, I just had a baby, I dont' care who sees me naked anymore.").
At this point, I would be all, "bring 'em all in! All the med students are welcome! They couldn't do a worse job than the first guy who gave me a pap smear!" [True story: it took at least 15 minutes, he had to go get another doctor, it felt like I was being forked with a crochet hook, and afterward, the second doctor told me (in kind of broken English) "people are small in many different ways. You are very small in a lot of ways. You understand what I'm trying to say?"]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:18 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

TheCrabbyCrafter wrote:
LisaPunk wrote:

That is so funny.
Something about having my first kid turned me from being rather modest (right before going into labour) to totally not caring who sees what

one of my friends has 3 kids and i dont know why we were talking about this (i think i may have mentioned not liking the idea of male drs) but she was like "dude after giving birth 3 times all sense of modesty has been erased from me"

hahahaa.

normally i dont care about med students and am happy to have them watch or do stuff but all the other times ive been in the hospital had to do with less "private" things. mainly i dont want 1000 people tromping through my room poking at me when i just want to try and relax and remember the hypnobirthing stuff and pretend i am capable of relaxation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:08 am 
Semen Strong

I really liked having a doula for keeping everything running smoothly and advocating for us, so we never had to take any break from birthing to ask people to leave etc.

Best money I spent on my pregnancy. Honestly, our birth was so peaceful and easy because of her support. I love her so much. My doula is also a Hypnobirthing instructor, so having her help me with visualizing was great.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:16 am 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

It's hard to be a student! Nobody wants you around, even though all you're trying to do is provide good care, and of course everyone was a student once. That said, I'm a total hypocrite, because I would never have let a med student or resident touch me, and it's yet another reason why I wanted to give birth at home and not at the mega teaching hospital where I'm a student. Midwifery students are way better than med students, though. :) Many of us are former doulas and are happy to provide as much labor support as a woman wants.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:53 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

When I had my first, they asked if it was okay if there were med students. I didn't care at all, so there were like 5 of them I think? (I figured if I were in their place, I'd really want to be able to watch.) And of course the doctor and nurses. But after seeing that they had arrived, I never noticed them again. They were there to watch the last hour or so. I literally cannot remember anything specific about who/how many were in the room. I guess it depends on your style. For both of my births, I was really focused on the birth and nothing else. You could probably do anything in the same room as me, and I wouldn't even notice.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:49 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Just remember that med students and residents are NOT the same. Residents are already doctors, they have their MDs. There might be one attending doctor for several residents who are caring for many patients, so it is not always a choice to wait for an attending. When it comes to students, there is more of a choice because they aren't essential to the procedures. I had my baby at a teaching hospital and had a resident work on me - repairing a pretty bad tear. I was bleeding a lot. If I would have waited for an attending, I might have bled to death! I had no problem with a resident working on me, and that was the expectation at a teaching hospital. I planned to request no students though, but there weren't any there at that time, so I didn't even have to ask. If you don't want residents working on you though, don't go to a teaching hospital.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:06 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Let me add that you can always ask to see an attending, but one just might not be immediately available.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:20 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I don't have any idea how our hospital was set up in terms of teaching/non-teaching. I had assumed it was a teaching hospital because a) it's huge and b) the consent form I signed included consenting to be seen by students (I crossed that part out and initialed next to it - I did that to lots of sections of that b.s. form).

But I think with a midwife I wouldn't have been seen by medical students anyway (I guess I'd be seen by residents if there was something beyond the capacity of my midwife - vacuum, crazy repair, whatever, but if I needed a C-section I would have seen the midwives' partner doctors theoretically).

Anyway, there was pretty much no one in my room throughout UNTIL the pushing stage and I was extremely aware of them and extremely inhibited and distressed by their presence. I do not need half a dozen people staring at my vag for no reason. I was furious that my doula didn't ask them to stand behind the curtain or something (my doula became increasingly useless throughout my labor, but was especially useless and infuriating during pushing and beyond), since it was pretty explicit in all of our conversations and in our birth plan that I am a) very modest and b) a sexual abuse survivor who doesn't really do well when feeling restrained and objectified!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:32 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

Ariann wrote:
Anyway, there was pretty much no one in my room throughout UNTIL the pushing stage and I was extremely aware of them and extremely inhibited and distressed by their presence. I do not need half a dozen people staring at my vag for no reason.

i imagine this is how i would be. im not good at shutting things out, especially people and have really severe social anixety so i dont want a ton of people in my room. im good with the Dr, the nurse (or nurses?), and my husband. end of story.

my birth class teacher said she gives all her students a sign to hang on the door that says we are a hypnobirthing family and she claims that cuts down on the foot traffic and lookie-loos by half.

normally i wouldnt mind med students it's just for this that i do. i believe when i had my jaw surgery i had a bunch of different med students ogling at me but i dont remember much about my hospital stay then.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:34 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

also what is the difference between the resident physician and the attending physician?

when my birth class teacher was talking about it the other night it sounded like the resident is always at the hospital and works FOR the hospital and not a private practice (i would guess a resident is working on their RESIDENCY?) and the attending physician would be (for example) my own OB who is from a private practice or whomever from that practice is on labor and delivery that week.

that's how i understood it. not sure that is right though.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:35 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I have NO idea who was in the room with me when I delivered. There was pretty much nobody in there except my husband, mother, and doula with my nurse popping in and out until my midwife said it was time to push. Then suddenly the room was full and I didn't care at all as I was just focused on pushing.

About students I am exactly like Moo. I was one once. I know people have to learn. But I really don't like letting them learn on me!!! I DO force myself to accept students when I go to the doc usually because I feel it is due since people were kind to let me learn on them - but if they had asked about students doing vaginal exams and the like during my labor I would have said no way! As it was, the first nuse I had was clueless and at one point told me we were dilated to a 5 or 6 only to find out when my midwife came that we were still a "2.5". Turns out it was this nurse's first week in L&D (she also put the IV in my WRIST) just after we had just had a discussion of how I would like it in my forarm and not the hand. I mean really - so there are times in life when you just don't want people practicing on you.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:39 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

mooo wrote:
It's hard to be a student! Nobody wants you around, even though all you're trying to do is provide good care, and of course everyone was a student once. Midwifery students are way better than med students, though. :)

I didn't have one there during my delivery, but my midwife did have an apprentice for my office visits. She was super, really excited about everything and very anxious (in a good way) to make sure I was OK with what she was doing. Basically she'd just do the measurements or listen or whatever, and then the midwife would do it again to check they got the same results.

I thought it was kind of fun to have someone around who was still really excited and engaged by the whole process. Of course the midwife was kind and supportive too, but she'd seen a lot more pregnant women already!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:43 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

It's really interesting how differently mamas in labor can feel. I had no modesty at all once the intense part of labor started-- I took all my clothing off to get in the shower and didn't feel like wearing anything at all when I got out. Later, I wanted an epidural, so they paged the anesthesiologist, and a nurse basically forced me to put a gown on before he arrived, saying she didn't want to shock the poor young guy. Sheesh. I'm sure he'd seen it all before....

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:57 pm 
***LIES!!!***

annasrobbie wrote:
Turns out it was this nurse's first week in L&D (she also put the IV in my WRIST) just after we had just had a discussion of how I would like it in my forarm and not the hand. I mean really - so there are times in life when you just don't want people practicing on you.

They had to get an anesthesiologist to come down to put my IV in my forearm. No (totally experienced) nurse in L&D was willing to do it because it was a harder stick than the hand/wrist or elbow and they were dumbfounded that I just wouldn't let them touch me if they weren't going to put it where I asked for it. Apparently the hand/wrist is absolutely the norm there. I had the same headache when I went to the ER recently.

LisaPunk - residents are completing their residency, yes. It's an extended learning period post-medical school. They have their MDs, but they aren't yet fully qualified to do lots of things because they lack hands-on experience and very dedicated learning in a single field. Residencies are in a particular field (like OB/GYN or surgery or emergency medicine) and after you finish your residency you can go into private practice (where you might visit your regular patients in the hospital but not have shifts at the hospital supervising students, residents, PAs, etc.), go into private practice where you are contracting for a hospital (I think this applies to most "attendings"), or be a hospitalist (where you work directly for the hospital as an attending and have no outside patients). Where you do your residency is not necessarily where you eventually work as an attending and some people also do fellowships in between those two things (and during a fellowship, you may also function as an attending). In non-teaching hospitals you could consider all the doctors "attendings." It is a really complicated system, especially because most of the people you see who seem to work for the hospital generally don't work for the hospital but are actually in private practice (and then you get bills from a million different places afterwards - very confusing).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65 ... 86  Next