| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 899 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 36  Next
 Post subject: Re: I'm looking for a job.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:30 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

Jigglypuff wrote:
I walked out of an interview last week and immediately realized that my fly had been down the whole time and I had white cat hair all over my black pants. A few days later I accidentally sent a screwed-up resume to a potential employer and then forgot to attach the corrected version when I emailed her again. Why, god why?! I am never going to get a job.

I had a final interview at a place years ago...Prepping for the interview in my car, I was drinking a bottle of water. Which I spilled in my lap. I was wearing a grey suit...it totally looked like I peed my pants from behind. Not too bad in the front.

I walked in like sideways and left kind of backwards so nobody would see peepee pants.

(Got the job too)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:38 pm 
Emotionally Allergic to Dairy

OH MY GOD! I just got invited to the final round of the fellowship application process! It's a group interview on February 14th in San Francisco. On the downside, I will have to take a day off from work, and I feel like calling out sick on Valentine's Day is suspect. On the other hand, I won't be calling out on the day AFTER Valentine's, so that's not so bad.

EEEEEE! This is the LAST STEP. After this, I will find out (on March 1st) whether or not I got the position! I am so scared and so excited and so scared!

It's business formal attire, so I will need to break out my suit from my closet. I'm pretty worried that it is not going to fit, because I was a size 2 when I bought it a year and a half ago, and now I'm more like a 4 or a 6. Time to start some serious dieting and doing a lot of crunches every day so my suit jacket will button without looking ridiculous!

Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:45 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

that's awesome! congrats! you know, its the perfect day to go to an interview because they'll think you're calling out because it's valentine's day, not being you're going on an interview. so that's actually good thing!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:15 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I got a job! Wee. I was practically hired in the interview and so happy.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:19 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Sra. Nooch wrote:
I got a job! Wee. I was practically hired in the interview and so happy.

Congrats!!!

I got a job (working in fashion) with a 50 cent blazer I bought at goodwill the day before.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:57 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

OMGGGG THE PERSON I SENT A SCREWED-UP RESUME TO JUST HIRED ME I AM SO HAPPY

So embarrassing!" -just mumbles

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:06 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

I'm looking for something in New England (preferably Maine) to do with water resources/management/ecology etc. I have an MS in River Basin Management and BS in Environmental Science. Just started looking a couple weeks ago, have applied for about 6 jobs, haven't heard anything yet.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:15 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I have a huuuuuge interview on Friday! I think my problem is I don't act confident enough, so I'm going to try and be more confident in this interview!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:51 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

I love how so many of us in this thread have recently gotten jobs. Maybe its PPK luck.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:36 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I am fully employed (and then some), but I just applied for a new job. I am a little worried because I am much younger than the person who is retiring from the position, but to be fair she has been in the position for about 40 years. I also serve on a committee that will be meeting with the potential candidates (the committee doesn't actually have any hiring authority, but will get to share their opinions), so that is potentially a good thing since the other committee members have known me for several years, but also potentially awkward. I like my current job, but it has very little in the way of benefits (no health insurance).

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:13 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I have an interview on Tuesday!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:35 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I just have to say, to anyone who feels they're doing too much to contact/communicate with a potential employer: don't ever think you're doing too much. I was once an employer, although not in a "professional" capacity, and any thank yous for the interview, follow ups or extra contact were always, always appreciated and look good for the potential employee. Always, always, always.

That said, I have a new job! It is high up on the list of highly unvegan jobs. But I am enjoying the people, the customers and the hours. So not complaining that I sell meat all through my shift.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:39 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Moon wrote:
I just have to say, to anyone who feels they're doing too much to contact/communicate with a potential employer: don't ever think you're doing too much. I was once an employer, although not in a "professional" capacity, and any thank yous for the interview, follow ups or extra contact were always, always appreciated and look good for the potential employee. Always, always, always.

That said, I have a new job! It is high up on the list of highly unvegan jobs. But I am enjoying the people, the customers and the hours. So not complaining that I sell meat all through my shift.

Congrats!! My new job that I'm starting in a few weeks is pretty unvegan, too, but whatevers.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:12 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Got a summer job, at the ward where I'm training right now. It wasn't my first choice (it's an emergency ward so it's kind of hectic, and the atmosphere among the staff is not great) but it's nice to have it all arranged for the summer.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:40 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

Jigglypuff wrote:
OMGGGG THE PERSON I SENT A SCREWED-UP RESUME TO JUST HIRED ME I AM SO HAPPY

Haha! Told you! Congratulations!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:50 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Since last posting I got my dream (entry level) job! I'm an assistant book publicist at THE publishing house. The only problem is I don't want to live in New York forever...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:58 pm 
Spent a night at the Bates Motel

A physical therapy technician job I applied for in December called me last night. I had a really amazing interview today. I felt woefully underqualified with my lack of healthcare experience, but the interviewer was super impressed with my accomplishments. One more interview with the owner to go. Full time, health benefits!!!, no nights, no weekends. The only hard thing will be leaving my current job. I have a great relationship with my manager, but it's going nowhere, and there are no benefits, which as a person struggling with bipolar disorder I desperately need.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:33 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Ugh. I've been at my current job for almost 7 years and was informed this past Friday that my position is being cut in the next Fiscal Year due to "changes in grant funding and the needs of the organization." It was a huge shock, and TERRIBLE timing since my BF and I are just about to buy a house! Not a good time for most of your income to go bye-bye. Thankfully we can still qualify for the mortgage using just his full-time salary and my very part-time freelance income. I would have been SO pissed if we had lost the house because of this.

I can stay at my current job until June 30, and then I get some pay and benefits continuation after that, which is great and I know I'm lucky to have so much time. I'm looking for a new job right away though because it would be really stupid not to. I've sent out three applications but there doesn't seem to be a lot out there that I'm interested in right now.

There are some aspects of my current job that I love (great benefits, most of my coworkers are awesome, pretty casual environment, I get to go to the gym at lunch, I am working in my field) and some that I don't like (my insane boss). I was considering looking for a new job anyway once we get settled in the house, but it kind of sucks to have my hand forced like this. Right now it feels like I've broken up with someone but am still forced to live with them because I have nowhere else to go.

I'm definitely looking for a full-time job but if I don't find anything suitable I guess I'll just work on building up my freelance business. If anyone needs a graphic designer let me know! It would actually be amazing to work on vegan-related projects.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:36 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

dakini wrote:
A physical therapy technician job I applied for in December called me last night. I had a really amazing interview today. I felt woefully underqualified with my lack of healthcare experience, but the interviewer was super impressed with my accomplishments. One more interview with the owner to go. Full time, health benefits!!!, no nights, no weekends. The only hard thing will be leaving my current job. I have a great relationship with my manager, but it's going nowhere, and there are no benefits, which as a person struggling with bipolar disorder I desperately need.

I was in that situation- my first job out of college was working for this tiny little company and I wasn't getting any benefits (and I also found out that the owner was not paying his taxes and was also declaring bankruptcy). I found a much better job but I still felt terrible about leaving because by that time it was basically the owner and me and we got along splendidly. But you have to do what is best for you!

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 7:11 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I am reviving this thread because I really need to be looking for a new job and I am overwhelmed and there are lots of Portlanders here so give me advice please?

I have experience in these things:
Childcare (nannying/after-school programs/gym childcare but I don't think I want to nanny anymore and after-school programs are by nature part-time and gym childcares are not good places to work, I would love to work for a preschool maybe or with youth in another capacity though.)
Nonprofit stuff (volunteer coordination/community outreach/communications, all for the same organization and only for a little over a year, though I interned for them for a year before that)
Writing (I freelance for Catster.com and have for a few other sites as well)

WHAT SHOULD I DO WITH MY LIFE PPK
Someone give me a job.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 7:51 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Bah, I've had a job for a little over a month and while it's really fun (bookstore) it pays crepe and has no benefits. I just checked Craigslist in a whim and there are two bakeries hiring. Two that I talked to and liked when we first moved here. But I feel like I'm just getting the swing of things at the job I have and I'd feel like a dick to leave. Also, I don't know if I really want to work in a bakery again. Before it was fun and awesome but also hard on my post-eating-disorder self to be surrounded by food all day. So now I'm stuck and don't know what to do. I might just get more info on the other jobs and see how much they pay and what kind of hours they have.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 7:58 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

strawberryrock, I don't work in Portland/my employer has nothing in Portland, but my guess is that there are a bunch of jobs out there related to community outreach that would be desperate to have you. If you find a fast growing place, you'd probably grow into new jobs fairly quickly and gain more experience, etc.

As for me, I need to start looking for a new job but I don't know what to look for. I'd like to stay in the environmental field. Right now I'm an office admin. I have some darn good skills with Excel and SalesForce. I can fix formulas, figure out most issues that aren't too complicated, build reports on salesforce, think through business process to figure out how SalesForce can support that, make processes work as smoothly as possible for employees. I can file like a maniac and find things on Salesforce and in the office like no one else, though I will admit my assistant is getting pretty good too!

Tell me what kind of jobs I should look for and/or ask me probing questions to get me thinking about what I want.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 8:14 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

lillianp wrote:
strawberryrock, I don't work in Portland/my employer has nothing in Portland, but my guess is that there are a bunch of jobs out there related to community outreach that would be desperate to have you. If you find a fast growing place, you'd probably grow into new jobs fairly quickly and gain more experience, etc.

All the jobs I see, besides canvassing (which is not something I would quit my current job for), require a lot of qualifications that I don't have...I get so discouraged every time I look! I've just been doing childcare stuff for almost two years now and I'm afraid that to be qualified for a nonprofit job again I'm going to have to take an unpaid internship first, which I really just can't afford to do now.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 8:24 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

strawberryrock wrote:
lillianp wrote:

All the jobs I see, besides canvassing (which is not something I would quit my current job for), require a lot of qualifications that I don't have...I get so discouraged every time I look! I've just been doing childcare stuff for almost two years now and I'm afraid that to be qualified for a nonprofit job again I'm going to have to take an unpaid internship first, which I really just can't afford to do now.

Do you have any time to volunteer for an organization where you would like to work? Volunteering can be helpful to get your foot in the door.

I like reading cover letters and resumes so email me if you want me to read something if you find something that you want. Even if it's a stretch it's good to apply for things if you are passionate about the job/organization/cause. Good luck!!

I have put my mouth, this is the best sandwich. Since. I agree Araya monkeytoes too much, especially the lunch buffet. I have no idea of ​​the city center. I mean try headstrong, but I have not made there. --spam!

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 6:03 pm 
Keepin' It Seal

Thanks for bringing this thread back, strawberryrock. I need it too! I've been working at my current job since 2005 and there is no room for growth and it's a boring job. Honestly, I know I can do better. I'm also looking to move to Brooklyn soon, so I'm primarily looking for stuff out there. My current job is a clerical/data entry thing for a school district, but I'm open to other things. I have a BA in Women's Studies. I just don't even know what to look for.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 899 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 36  Next