| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1567 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46 ... 63  Next
 Post subject: Re: Artisan Vegan Cheese
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:26 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Daphne wrote:
gingerhotpepper wrote:
Cornelie wrote:
Yes, the mozz will get a little more firm if you refrigerate it in the brine, but in my experience, it is always a little softer than dairy mozzarella.

Thank you! I actually ended up turning it into garlic and herb cream cheese (didn't have sun-dried tomatoes) . It yielded a less thick cream cheese but it is decidedly super yummy. So now instead of sadly hanging out in my fridge it is being gobbled up daily topped on homemade wild yeast bagels :)

Okay if you haven't tried the air dried camebert holy god is this stuff good! We had a wine and vegan cheese night over the weekend with brie, boursin, and camebert-- I was in heaven!

Right now I am working on:
-sharp cheddar
-hard gruyere

I also had great luck with the sour cream. Will def. post pictures later.

I have 3 questions:
1. Has anyone tried to make rejuvelac out of mung beans?
2. Has anyone tried to wax their long term cheeses (like the cheddar?
3. What kind of molds are people using? I have an 8" spring pan (need a 6" one). Other than that I am just using bowls but it might be time for me to invest.

Hey for your #3 question; I use cupcake pans. Line with cheese cloth and pour/pack cheese in. When they are cool, you can just pull them right out. I like this method because they are all the same size and when you turn them upside down, they have a cool shape. I also have a small 6 in. cake pan that I use for large wheels, but mostly I use cupcake pans. If you want to get fancy, after they aged/cured/brined, you can place them inside of big cupcake liners on the plate. :)

Thank you that is brilliant! I've been trying to freeze some of each batch I make and this would make it so much easier because they would come out already formed into a 1-2 serving size cheese. Plus I already have cupcake pans--bonus. Cool idea thanks :)

Any chance someone out there could answer the other 2 questions? If not, I might just try waxing (the cheddar) but maybe just stick to quinoa for rejuvalac since it worked so beautifully last time.

ETA: Hard Gruyere and Sharp Cheddar question: both of mine are soft. Not super duper soft in that they hold there shape, but still soft enough to move with touch. The book says the cheddar will harden up over time so I'm just going to let that age in the back of the fridge and hope for the best. But the hard gruyere is not really sliceable yet either and where it is not one I can let sit for 6 months any suggestions? Should I salt and try air drying in hopes that it will at least develop a skin?

Last edited by gingerhotpepper on Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:33 pm 
ugh

gingerhotpepper, according to this (see photo caption), there is such a thing as rejuvelac made from mung beans. Maybe you could try just a small amount to see how it works out?

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:37 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

b.vicious wrote:
gingerhotpepper, according to this (see photo caption), there is such a thing as rejuvelac made from mung beans. Maybe you could try just a small amount to see how it works out?

Excellent, thanks so much! Maybe I'll try to 1/2 the recipe and see what I get.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:16 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I've got a cultured-yogurt, fresh dill & smoked paprika take on the gruyere sitting on my table, getting ready.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:36 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

HELP please!!

I made the fresh mozz. Put it in fridge to cool. That was three days ago. Today, I took it out and it has NO FLAVOR. And its mushy.

Its not bad or anything--Im wondering if I can reheat it and and re-culture it, and possibly try it again...? Or use as a hard cheese??

Anyone have any advice?

Thanks!

Daphne

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:43 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

Hi Daphne,

I've had the exact same problem with my fresh mozzarella. Both times that I've tried it, it's ended up mushy and the agar has always set up before I could blend it up with the base. I'm starting to wonder if I'm overcooking the agar, as the consistency of mine looks nothing like the consistency of Miyoko's in her video about agar on the book's Facebook page. I've followed the instructions in the book to the letter both times, but maybe my stove is too hot. So I'm sure that none of this helps answer your questions, but know that you're not alone!

Anybody else have any advice on this? I'm just as curious as Daphne.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:13 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

So, is the filtered water for rejuvelac just to limit the possibility of bad bacteria getting in there and growing while it ferments or whatever? I really need to make a new batch but I keep forgetting to buy bottled water. The quality of the tap water here is really good so I'm tempted to just do that but I also don't want to fork it up and waste quinoa (that stuff is still pretty pricey here!).

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:17 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

I would assume that's the reason, Erinnerung. Although it might have something to do with flavor as well. Tap water has that "treated" taste that filtered water doesn't. When my hubby and I bought our new fridge a year ago, I was apathetic about the water/ice in the door. But now I couldn't live without it--sure makes the rejuvelac process a lot more convenient.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:20 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

ReadingVegan wrote:
Hi Daphne,

I've had the exact same problem with my fresh mozzarella. Both times that I've tried it, it's ended up mushy and the agar has always set up before I could blend it up with the base. I'm starting to wonder if I'm overcooking the agar, as the consistency of mine looks nothing like the consistency of Miyoko's in her video about agar on the book's Facebook page. I've followed the instructions in the book to the letter both times, but maybe my stove is too hot. So I'm sure that none of this helps answer your questions, but know that you're not alone!

Well good to hear that Im not the only one--IVe made it before and havent had this problem--I used powdered agar. I dont know about over cooking it--I didnt know you could...what did you do with your mushy mozz?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:21 pm 
ugh

From what I've read, it's because of the chlorine content in tap water. I think you can boil your tap water to make sure there's no chlorine in it, though.

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:32 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

Daphne wrote:
ReadingVegan wrote:
Hi Daphne,

Well good to hear that Im not the only one--IVe made it before and havent had this problem--I used powdered agar. I dont know about over cooking it--I didnt know you could...what did you do with your mushy mozz?

I ended up running it down the disposal because it was so mushy/slimy and the agar had clumped up inside the balls and gave it a horrible flavor. I don't know for sure if you can overcook agar, but that's the only explanation I can think of. Miyoko's seems to be only slightly thicker than water, but mine has always ended up very thick/gooey/almost rubbery while it's still in the pot, even though I cook it for the same amount of time suggested in the recipe. How long do you cook yours, Daphne?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:04 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I used the powder and I just added it directly to the cheese mixture. I have used flakes before and I had to dissolve it in water prior to adding it...then I usually had to cook it for at least 15 minutes...Im going to see if I turn all this mozz into something else--I hate waste all those ingredients, and it does not really taste bad, it just doesnt have much of a taste, period.

ReadingVegan wrote:
Daphne wrote:
ReadingVegan wrote:
Hi Daphne,

I ended up running it down the disposal because it was so mushy/slimy and the agar had clumped up inside the balls and gave it a horrible flavor. I don't know for sure if you can overcook agar, but that's the only explanation I can think of. Miyoko's seems to be only slightly thicker than water, but mine has always ended up very thick/gooey/almost rubbery while it's still in the pot, even though I cook it for the same amount of time suggested in the recipe. How long do you cook yours, Daphne?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:04 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

ReadingVegan wrote:
Daphne wrote:
ReadingVegan wrote:
Hi Daphne,

The mozzarella and the cheddar seem to be the ones causing the most problems. I have created an improved version of the buffalo mozzarella - just posted it on my blog. Here's the link. http://www.artisanveganlife.com/a-bette ... ozzarella/ To boil the agar, put a lid on it and don't take it off for several minutes. It will harden, then reliquify. When I do another reprint, I may increase the agar in it, because more people have trouble with it hardening than not. Also, important to keep in mind that this is like buffalo mozzarella, which is softer than the blocks of mozzarella.

Daphne, keep a lid on the agar, take a peek after 3 to 4 minutes, and if it looks completely solid, put the lid back on and don't peek for another few minutes. It should dissolve. It will be thick, but it will be dissolved.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:11 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

b.vicious wrote:
bekki wrote:
My Zoetrope wrote:
Can we talk about what brand of carageenan everyone is using? And does yours smell really bad? I found irish moss powder at a natural food store and this stuff STINKS. Like, beyond fishy. Rotten fish or something. It makes me retch anytime I get a whiff of it, so I was a bit apprehensive putting it into the cheeses, but I did anyways. I tried the monterey jack, and the smell didn't go away even after cooking. I had to throw it out, because the whole batch just tasted like it smelled. It faired a bit better in the air-dried camembert, but there are more things in that to cover up the flavor. The fresh mozzarella is only tolerable if I put lots of other things on it/around it. I know that the prob. is the irish moss powder, because everything tastes fine before I add that in, so I obviously need to get a different carageenan...

I started off using some from molecularrecipes.com, then bought the Willpowder. The cheese I made with the willpowder was my first real fail. It still hasn't set up properly, is gritty, and I can still taste a hint of funk. It's cheddar, so that's saying something. It smelled/tasted kind of like chlorinated fish...I tried to cook it with beer and it wouldn't even dissolve in pure liquid, whereas the MR brand gelled on contact and has no smell.

If yours is funky, I would stop using it. I ordered a 1 lb from MR that should be here Tuesday and I'll report back on it. Since the first batch I got from worked great, I don't see why this one would be any different.

Okay, just answered my own carrageenan question by searching through the thread. Good to know I can give it another try sometime, but NOT from Willpowder!

modernistpantry.com has kappa carrageenan for about $8 for 4 ounces. That will last awhile. I also bought an Irish Moss powder on Amazon that wasn't too stinky.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:36 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

so I recooked my mushy mozz--do you think I can use it as cream cheese? re-culture?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:38 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

b.vicious wrote:
From what I've read, it's because of the chlorine content in tap water. I think you can boil your tap water to make sure there's no chlorine in it, though.

Yep, that is my understanding: tap water is chlorinated to limit the growth of bacteria. I use boiled tap water for all my fermentation needs : ) I have read that, in some cases, it may be better than filtered because filters often remove minerals, which are good for some cultures.

You can also just let tap water sit uncovered, overnight, or for 24 hours. Apparently you can also put it in a blender, and blend for 15 to 20 minutes, and the aeration will dechlorinate it. But that seems like a pain to me, and noisy.

Anyway, in my experience a bit of chlorine won't hurt fermentation, but it's a good idea to minimise it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:51 am 
Tofu Pup

I was really happy with my cheddar taste prior to adding the agar and setting, now it tastes sort of bland. Is this normal, will it come back? Seems watered down now.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:31 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Sorry if this has already been covered - I'm trying to search but have limited time while my daughter naps...

I made the air-dried gouda last night. I thought I cooked it long enough, but after 4 hours in the fridge it was still really creamy and soft. I left it in the fridge overnight, and it's still super creamy and way to soft to salt and air-dry. I'm guessing I didn't cook it long enough, but I'm wondering if I can put it back in the pot and re-start from the cooking process? Anyone else have this happen, or anyone have advice? I haven't had problems with anything else I've made so far.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:20 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Could you air dry it on some muslin spread over the rack, until it has dried a bit? My air dried cheeses usually take a while to harden enough to sit on a rack without being slowly sliced...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:57 pm 

Thank you, Cgvegan! That's exactly what's happening now - it's slowly making it's way through the rack. I'll reform it and set it on some cheese cloth. That's such a great idea.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:59 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Good luck! I remember my gouda being similar, and that's what I did, too.

I"m also curious to hear what folks have made with the finished fresh mozz. I have some extra in the fridge that wasn't eaten....

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:00 pm 
Tofu Pup

Quote:
modernistpantry.com has kappa carrageenan for about $8 for 4 ounces. That will last awhile. I also bought an Irish Moss powder on Amazon that wasn't too stinky.

I went to modernistpantry and what I saw was 50g(1.75oz) for $8.99. Has the price gone up maybe? Also would the 50g be enough to get me going or should I purchase 2/the 1 lb, which is kinda pricey?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:35 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

jdfunks wrote:
I"m also curious to hear what folks have made with the finished fresh mozz. I have some extra in the fridge that wasn't eaten....

I used it for this! The recipe is from Plenty, if you have it. It was super rich and delicious and it made me feel totally fancy.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:33 am 

Another question for you guys... I have two cheeses air-drying right now - the brie from VegNews and the gouda. The gouda is already a bit of a mess since I didn't cook it long enough. I just checked on them both and noticed itty bitty teeny tiny black specks that look like pepper here and there. There's not a ton of it, but I'm worried it might be some kind of mold. I haven't had high hopes for the gouda since I already messed it up, but the brie was looking really good. I'd be bummed if it's not salvageable. Any thoughts or suggestions? Have you guys experienced anything like this?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:34 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

I'm really digging the cream cheese. Next time I'll let it culture even longer, for some more tang.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1567 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46 ... 63  Next