| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 679 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 28  Next
 Post subject: Re: Sweet dreams (advice/questions about kid sleep)
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:21 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Did you wait until he was asleep to put him down on his tummy? I know they still say to "back to sleep" them, but he is always rolling onto his tummy anyway so I don't really see the point in fighting it. He doesn't care for tummy time, but maybe sleeping on his tummy would be different? Thanks for your experiences!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:26 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

We used a halo sleep sack. I know it's expensive, but it was the only thing that wouldn't come loose. Around four months we quit but I don't really remember any kind of transition. We just stopped using it. But we only swaddled for the first part of the night. After she woke up the first time, we would cosleep and unswaddle.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:28 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

He generally falls asleep nursing or by being bounced, so we put him down on his tummy while he's asleep. He very rarely wakes up when we put him down that way. If he does wake, we can usually just pat his back, and he goes back to sleep fairly quickly.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:20 am 
Nooch of Earl

Violet used to be swaddled for naps (not nighttime sleep) but could houdini out of it from about 6 months. Honestly, I had to find other ways to get her to nap - we definitely had a "drive around until she slept" phase. A lot of starbucks drivethroughs were visited.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:30 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

He slept very well last night - I only got up once to reswaddle him. When I went in this am he was sound asleep on his tummy completely unswaddled...so maybe we try putting him down that way for a nap or two. He has to be put down awake though because the only time he falls asleep is on his own in the crib or in the car and we have never had a successful carseat to crib transfer.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:54 am 
Semen Strong

Anyone have any ideas for establishing a nap schedule?

Leela is constantly overtired and will not nap. I try and get her down at about 11 when she is yawning and fussy, and put her in a carrier for a nap bc she won't nap on the bed. On a good day she'll nap for an hour but I have to rock her constantly. On a bad day its 10 mins.

I would love a predictable nap schedule for her just so that she isn't so tired all the time and ideally it would be a nap that doesn't require me rocking her.

I know daycares get everyone down at a given time for a set nap and that seems like magic to me.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:20 am 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

We do naps by nursing in bed (or giving a bottle if it's my partner), then replacing the boob or bottle with a pacifier when she's drifting off, then sneaking away. She starts to seem tired around the same times every day. I think maybe according to some or other parenting philosophy, there's something "wrong" with continuing to do this past a certain age..? Oh well, it works for us.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:26 am 
Semen Strong

That worked for us (without the paci) when L was small, but it doesn't any longer, sadly! I miss those days! I certainly don't think there is anything "wrong" with it.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:36 am 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Aww, I was afraid it wasn't going to work forever. Good luck, tofulish!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:42 am 
Semen Strong

Enjoy it while it lasts! And maybe you can transition her as she gets older into a similar pattern, which I didn't do with L. I feel bad because she is just so overtired all afternoon until she conks out.

I've read to provide calm time - they don't have to sleep but they do have to be resting. But I have no idea how to do that with a 15 month old, who just wants to get off the bed and run around and play.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:15 am 

T, have you tried putting her down for a nap earlier? You could do some sort of routine like you do at night...some quiet play or books, maybe a nappy change, etc. This second year is so hard with naps for some kids where 2 naps is too much but one is not enough.

P.s. Peer pressure helps at daycare, plus the toddlers we had were often exhausted. We used the sane schtick as parents though...taking off shoes nappy/potty, stories, dim lights, soft music.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:30 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

For us I think about 15 months is when routine really became important. For grey to nap well we have to be home, we have a snack, go to his room, shut the blinds, put on the noise machine, read a book, he crawls under the blanket and then I nurse him down. He usually sleeps 1.5 hours. He will not sleep in the car, or if he does it is only 15 minutes and that is it for the day. I'm nt sure what to tell you with leela. If grey doesn't want to nap, I still do all those things when he is fussy and sometimes that resting time will give him a second wind and help him to get in a better mood. I know you have rocked leela and carried her, but maybe start a new routine and for the first couple days she won't sleep, but since she isn't really sleeping anyway it might be worth it to try something different.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:33 pm 
Semen Strong

Thanks! I appreciate the feed back. And its good to know that routine becomes important at 15 months because we are so unscheduled its ridiculous. Plus our playdates have fallen off a lot because all our usual friends are sick :(

OMG I really never realized how much kids need their naps! I had a bout of food poisoning (just vomiting) so Brett watched her all day, and at the end I joked "Hey we could have another one!" and he said "I would die of tiredness during the conception."

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:14 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Like littlebear, we have found flexibility reduced drastically around that age. I think my goal for February is to shift Vi's one nap to afternoon rather than at 10am because it would make the "toddler social circuit," as somebody put it, so much more compatible. On the weekends things can become very miserable because my husband is not totally onboard with understanding the need for routine. The day just starts out on the wrong foot - he'll get up and play xbox and won't turn it off at 7 so she can watch Sesame Street as she usually does while I get me coffee and us breakfast, and it is just all downhill from there. Then he'll take her on a bike ride instead of on a nap-inducing stroller walk.

Like from this past holiday weekend it messed up yesterday completely and I would say that only today are we back on our normal schedule.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:18 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Tofulish, as I read your first question, I was thinking, "Send her to day care." They seriously are magic. Peer pressure works wonders, and I also think structure is key. By necessity, day care is so rigidly structured, so the kids know full well what is coming (and by around 15 mos are probably old enough to understand cues and words). I read somewhere once that as babies get into toddlerdom, their sleep is driven by parental cues more so than their own internal clocks, and that was (and is) my experience with my older one.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:16 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

annak wrote:
I think my goal for February is to shift Vi's one nap to afternoon rather than at 10am because it would make the "toddler social circuit," as somebody put it, so much more compatible.

tiny wu is only just over 3 months old, so it's not like she's missing out socially, but I totally get this. Her big nap every day is around 11 AM and maybe 2-2.5 hours long. So it's pretty crucial.

Our mothergroup meets on Wednesdays at 11:30 and I cannot get her to sleep through it anymore. It's too exciting to see other babies and she wakes up when we get there, even if she's been sleeping on the walk over. The last two weeks were total disasters because she NEEDS that sleep, at that time--we're on a pretty set schedule since both Mr. Scandi and I get up early for our various work situations. I think we just have to opt out of the group for a few weeks, at least, which is kind of disappointing but I don't feel like we have many options.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:30 pm 

Why does my kid still wake up screaming like someone is killing her? Karl just up now to tend to her...asleep just 45 minutes or so. (usually we're still getting the good stretch in the evening for a couple of hours, though)

I just don't get it. We're coping better, but I want all of us to get healthy sleep. Sigh.

We've had some small gains...she's in her room all night, even if I'm there some too. (except for one night when we first got this cold). She had that one 6 hour night. We had one stretch in the morning time from something like 5:15-7:30, which was new. So yeah, hanging in there, but frustrated not to find a solution yet.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:28 am 

Omg....after k put her back to sleep, she stayed out until 440 in the morning! The we nursed and had chair rest until 7. I slept like 4 hours in a row! Now to figure out roly poly husband and then we'll be all set.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:50 am 
Semen Strong

I have insomnia and my kid is asleep. I am going to be exhausted tomorrow running after a bright eyed and bushytailed babybunny

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:02 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

refinnej wrote:
Omg....after k put her back to sleep, she stayed out until 440 in the morning! The we nursed and had chair rest until 7. I slept like 4 hours in a row! Now to figure out roly poly husband and then we'll be all set.

You have a roly poly husband, too? It doesn't matter who I'm in bed with, they all roll around like they're in Cirque de Soleil or something. Mr Crabby used to roll on my bump when I was pregnant with Beetroot!! I would wake up and have to squirm away before being crushed.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:18 am 

T that is no fun. I get so frustrated when I can't get to sleep these days. Definitely helps me to be out on the super tired days. Otherwise the day seems to last forever while inside I scream "Sleep! I need sleep!"

Cc, K is a terribly fussy sleeper....too hot/cold,blanket's not right, etc. to infinity. Then he rolls around, sometimes halfawake. I have to take sleep when I can get it!

I wonder if two fussy rollers together in bed would even notice each other.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:30 am 
Not NOT A Furry

refinnej wrote:
Why does my kid still wake up screaming like someone is killing her?

Ugh, this has been us lately too. He was a decent sleeper until about a month ago, and then we had a shitstorm of illness and moving and then it was no sleep for anyone combined with so much screaming. After a few weeks he had a weekend of falling asleep unassisted with lots of long naps, and now in time for his birthday, we are back to short bursts of sleep with a very angry baby between. I wish I had an answer!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:52 am 
***LIES!!!***

We're back to the three hour bedtime. I just don't get it. She's doing a great job sleeping through the night, why does it take so long to get her to go down? And everything that's supposed to be soothing, wind-down time makes her hyper (baths, books, low lights, singing, attempts at cuddling). And my husband is going out of town today until Monday, so I am going to have to figure this out myself - usually he is the heavy that actually gets her down in the end. Will probably just wind up bringing her back into our bed. Again.

A coworker gave me a couple 10mg melatonin pills to try so I could fall asleep in a reasonable amount of time. I don't know if they helped with that, but I had the first dreams I remembered upon waking *since pregnancy*. So that seems like a sign of better sleep. Will have to go out and stock up.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:55 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

hey Ariann, just a thought - for us with D, she didn't want or need soothing activities before bedtime. In fact, the best way to put her to bed always turned out to be after a lot of play, romping and excitement. I've never been sure how she's able to go from screeching, laughing and being tossed in the air to mellow and sleepy once she hit the crib, but that's just how it worked with her. Maybe have Malka run laps around the house haha.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:08 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Well, that's what winds up happening anyway after I give up on bedtime and am waiting for my husband to take over. We both come straggling out of the bedroom (me close to tears, her usually crying) and I say "your turn," sit on the couch, and disengage and then Malka perks up and runs around and around and around. Maybe tonight I'll try doing stories and stuff out of the bedroom, letting her run around awhile, and then bedtime.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 679 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 28  Next