| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1372 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 ... 55  Next
 Post subject: Re: Graduate Students of the PPK, Assemble!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:28 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

We started January 9th. I'm jealous of everyone who got longer breaks!

Also: I've started to do the super-paranoid-about-post-graduation-plans thing. It suuuucks.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:51 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Baby steps: I finished copyediting my grad school's newsletter today, and browsed CogSci 2012's proceedings so that I can get ideas for this year. Trying to decide between the 150-word member abstract [poster presentation by default] or the 6-page short paper [oral or poster, refereed]. They're due Feb. 1st. I'd love to have an oral presentation, but damn, this 2x oral surgery business has eaten all my energy and brain.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:24 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I'm waiting impatiently for the new office desktop. The ones they give out to new students are pretty terrible; it just isn't powerful enough to do the image analysis I need to do. So basically I'm stuck until the tech guy gets it put together, other than getting caught up on literature. But delays keep cropping up, which is frustrating.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:02 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

lutin wrote:
Baby steps: I finished copyediting my grad school's newsletter today, and browsed CogSci 2012's proceedings so that I can get ideas for this year. Trying to decide between the 150-word member abstract [poster presentation by default] or the 6-page short paper [oral or poster, refereed]. They're due Feb. 1st. I'd love to have an oral presentation, but damn, this 2x oral surgery business has eaten all my energy and brain.

Don't burn yourself out!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:28 pm 

So I'm not in grad school, but as I could possibly be finishing my undergrad degree the end of next year depending on class availability, this is probably something I should start thinking about. So I hope it's okay if I ask you guys some questions?

For those of you that went straight into grad school after undergrad wish you'd taken some time in between? And for those of you who waited a bit before going to grad school, do you wish you'd just gone straight into it after undergrad?

I'm not really sure what I want to do (waiting or going right away), so it'd be nice to get some opinions if you guys don't mind :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:12 am 
Inflexitarian

I waited, and I'm glad. I'd strongly recommend waiting if you're going for something like a PhD in the humanities, because the burnout factor is big. One of my friends (in a small cohort of 12) is now leaving our program, and she attributes this largely to not having taken a break between undergrad and grad. I can't really speak to other fields (I imagine it's different).

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:26 am 
WRETCHED

I think it depends on your purpose and goals. What type of degree are you graduating with and what type of degree do you want to pursue? What are your overall goals?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:33 am 
Flounceiad 2011

quark wrote:
I waited, and I'm glad. I'd strongly recommend waiting if you're going for something like a PhD in the humanities, because the burnout factor is big. One of my friends (in a small cohort of 12) is now leaving our program, and she attributes this largely to not having taken a break between undergrad and grad. I can't really speak to other fields (I imagine it's different).
I agree with this. Taking some time off will give you an opportunity to clear your head and examine your reasons for wanting to go pursue a graduate degree; it may also result in stronger applications since you won't be trying to balance them with current academic obligations. My own experience is the best and worst example of this approach, depending on how you want to do it. I left my undergrad program when I became pregnant with my first child and went back to finish years later, and then did a two-year MA in English as a sort of "acid test" to see if I wanted to do a PhD (my feeling was that if after finishing a 140 page thesis I still wanted to be engaged in such an enterprise, I'd go for it; if not, I'd do Something Completely Different). In the event I decided I did want to apply to programs, but I took a year off to get my head on straight, put serious effort into the application process, and mentally prepare for The Next Big Thing. I'm now in the second year of my doctoral program, finished with coursework and prepping for exams. It's a lot of hard work, but I really feel that taking the time to examine my reasons for wanting to do it and thinking about what I hoped to get from it helped me go into the PhD feeling certain it's the right choice. Just my two cents; best of luck with whatever you decide!

"SMLOUNCE!" ~ smurfterrobang?!
http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:21 am 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

Erinnerung wrote:
I'm just doing one topic at a time, hopefully it's doable! I just started a new job and my new boss studies too, so she's super understanding if I need to take time off.

That's great! I've been working at the university for about 8 months now so I'm surrounded by people who 'get' studying. My colleagues and boss are really supportive.

Quote:
The upside to doing everything online is being able to listen to my lectures in my pyjamas while eating cake, but the downside is potentially ending up kind of unmotivated.

I feel you. Plus when listening to lectures in my pyjamas I often get side-tracked by ALL THE PRETTY THINGS on the internet.

Quote:
I also just accepted some more volunteer work, coordinating the e-gender bulletins for IWDA. I'm really hoping that this is a smart move that will keep me on top of gender and development issues, rather than something I'm going to curse myself for in a few weeks' time.

Oh yay I'm glad someone awesome is doing this! I follow them on twitter and was this close to applying for the e-gender volunteer role but somehow I thought "I'll put together an application after Christmas"...then, you know, holidays...and I forgot. Hope it's going well!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:41 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I started an MA right after finishing my undergrad. I've struggled with pretty bad burnout. I highly recommend taking a year off.

However, my second term is going a lot better than my first term. I am enjoying classes again.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:57 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Add me to the chorus of people who have found it worthwhile to wait. My interests have evolved over time and I'm glad I gave myself time to explore them before committing to further academic work. From a financial point of view it's been somewhat easier as well, as I managed to save a lot of my tuition fees for this time round.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:06 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I took 2 years off between my BA and MA. Best 2 years ever. The only regret I have is that I didn't get a full year 2 to intern at the Interacting Minds Lab/CFIN @ AU.dk to learn neuroscience and other experimental techniques. Because I was accepted to a ph.d. programme "early" I had to finish my 2d year in a semester (!!) and missed out on cool internship opportunities.

Speaking of Ph.D. stuff, I just made my 'going back to work to-do list'. It's 20 items long, and each item has about 4 sub-items of stuff that needs doing. That's a lot of stuff.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:09 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Veglicious wrote:
Oh yay I'm glad someone awesome is doing this! I follow them on twitter and was this close to applying for the e-gender volunteer role but somehow I thought "I'll put together an application after Christmas"...then, you know, holidays...and I forgot. Hope it's going well!

Haha, that's awesome! They ended up getting a ton of applications so they've recruited three volunteers for the year instead of the two that they'd planned on. So I'll be doing it until the start of May, and then someone else will take over. Everyone there is super nice and it's really interesting, so you should definitely get involved next year or whenever they need volunteers again.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:38 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Decided to submit the super short member abstract to CogSci instead of the 6-page long regular submission. Stoked that that means pretty much instant acceptance and that I could be spending a university-sponsored week in Berlin in August. Also, s l o w l y making annotation progress. I have so little to do, and yet, it's so tedious that it takes f o r e v e r.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:41 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

I just learned the date and time of my oral comprehensive exam: May 14th, 10:00am-12:00pm. Suddenly I feel like shiitake just got real and more than a little terrified; please start praying/casting spells/sacrificing vegetables for me right now.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:23 am 

Thanks guys! It seems like waiting a year or so would be a good idea. I'm a Biology major with a focus on conservation, ecology and evolution, and I'd be wanting to get my master's. I was looking at some internships posted on the department website and there are some ones I'm super interested in, but all of them save for a few require a bachelor's degree. I've been thinking about taking a year or so off to due one of the internships once I graduate, and it seems like that may be the best option. I feel like I would definitely get burn out going straight into grad school, so that break would be good for me.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:12 am 
Inflexitarian

Desdemona wrote:
I just learned the date and time of my oral comprehensive exam: May 14th, 10:00am-12:00pm. Suddenly I feel like shiitake just got real and more than a little terrified; please start praying/casting spells/sacrificing vegetables for me right now.

Eek! I feel for you. My orals aren't until fall, but I'm already scared.

I'll sacrifice a big, meaty eggplant for you.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:18 am 
Flounceiad 2011

quark wrote:
Desdemona wrote:

Eek! I feel for you. My orals aren't until fall, but I'm already scared.

I'll sacrifice a big, meaty eggplant for you.
Many thanks; anything to propitiate the gods!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:30 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

You can do it, Desdemonna!! Rock it out!!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:47 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Desdemona, I'm pretty sure you're going to walk out those orals with a mother forking tenure track job offer in hand. (Professor for Lyfe!) But if it'd help your nerves, I'll start cross stitching my favorite quote from Ye Olde Ynglish Blogge, http://houseoffame.blogspot.com/

Gladlie wol ich lerne, and gladlie teche, but ich shal not gladlie wryten a longe and borynge thynge.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:07 pm 
Married to the wolfman

My semester has started again and I already have a shiitake ton of work to do! This semester I am experimenting with logging the hours that I spend on various classes. My theory is that this may keep me more on task. So far so good... I've been logging at least 1 hour for my most difficult class every day and multiple hours most days.

Also, Desdemona, I will definitely sacrifice some carrots and onions for you! You are going to rock that though.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:22 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

lutin wrote:
Desdemona, I'm pretty sure you're going to walk out those orals with a mother forking tenure track job offer in hand. (Professor for Lyfe!)
Aw, thanks - at this point I feel like I'll happily settle for walking out with my sanity intact and/or my pants unwetted!
lutin wrote:
But if it'd help your nerves, I'll start cross stitching my favorite quote from Ye Olde Ynglish Blogge, http://houseoffame.blogspot.com/

Gladlie wol ich lerne, and gladlie teche, but ich shal not gladlie wryten a longe and borynge thynge.
So awesome; I actually know the blogger, Brantley Bryant, slightly (my partner is a medievalist, and although I'm an early modernist, I'm medieval-friendly/curious!). The MLA one is probably my favorite.

http://houseoffame.blogspot.com/2007/01/margerye-kempe-at-feest-of-mla.html

Last edited by Desdemona on Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:25 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:47 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Fancy software with a terrible UI? I loathe you. LOATHE.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:35 am 
Married to the wolfman

I'm such a dumb asparagus. I was so focused on making progress on this huge project for my hardest class that I failed to notice that a new homework assignment had been posted which the professor expected would take us 6 days to do. I finally noticed it yesterday, about 40 hours before it was due. Of those 40 hours, I've had oh, about 10 free, including the last 8, and that is what I spent on this assignment.

So yeah, I've pulled my first all-nighter of the new semester. Yaaaay grad school.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 1372 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 ... 55  Next