| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:07 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12656 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121 ... 507  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:41 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Fee wrote:
Last time I went to a family get together my grandma had two bowls of strawberries - one with sugar over them and a vegan one for me with splenda.

this made me spit coffee on my desk.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:27 am 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

One Christmas, Brian's mom made me vegan snickerdoodles - they tasted awful. I don't know if she used Splenda (which is entirely possible because i'm not sure she even owns sugar) and I can't even remember what they tasted like. But of course since she went on the internet and found a recipe and made me something for one Christmas out of the last six vegan Christmases, I ate four of them and bagged up the rest and took them to a party and threw them in the hosts trash.

So I guess vegan pet peeve: no matter how bad it tastes, if someone makes you something, you have to eat it, you ingrate.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:59 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

mrsbadmouth wrote:
One Christmas, Brian's mom made me vegan snickerdoodles - they tasted awful. I don't know if she used Splenda (which is entirely possible because i'm not sure she even owns sugar) and I can't even remember what they tasted like. But of course since she went on the internet and found a recipe and made me something for one Christmas out of the last six vegan Christmases, I ate four of them and bagged up the rest and took them to a party and threw them in the hosts trash.

So I guess vegan pet peeve: no matter how bad it tastes, if someone makes you something, you have to eat it, you ingrate.

yeah ive had this happen. we do "birthday lunch" every month at work and whomever's birthday it is that month picks where to get food/cake from. one person like is horrified to have the company spend money on her (why? i dunno. i say buy me lunch!) and always makes dessert. one year she asked me 1000 questions and made me i think apple crisp despite me begging her not to. it was awful. im not sure it was even 100% vegan. and this person doesnt shower often and has nasty oral hygiene so it grossed me out to even eat something they made. then she insisted i take the rest home. i took it home and dumped it in the trash.

this year i refused to go to the lunch when it was their month. they kept asking me if i liked cherry pie and i was like I WONT BE HERE THAT DAY!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:41 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Fee wrote:
Last time I went to a family get together my grandma had two bowls of strawberries - one with sugar over them and a vegan one for me with splenda.

To add to the irony, Splenda was tested at Huntington labs. So, it was actually the super-unvegan bowl.

But your grandma sounds sweet.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:55 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Apparently I can't eat crackers because I am vegan but I can have brie because that is vegetarian.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:00 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

daisychain wrote:
Apparently I can't eat crackers because I am vegan but I can have brie because that is vegetarian.

that's right. there's no oil in brie.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:04 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

acr wrote:
daisychain wrote:

that's right. there's no oil in brie.

Oh and I finally got the...... but peanut butter has butter in it. I then list the ingredients on the jar. The response..... well obviously that one must just be a cheap one. The REAL peanut butter has to have butter in it.

As accepting as these people are about my diet I am killing myself laughing at the things they come up with. Then I have to try not laugh in front of them and seem like an arrogant kumquat.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:58 pm 
WELFARIST!

I still have yet to get the peanut butter thing but I can't believe people actually believe that and have said that to you with a straight face. Even before I was vegan I knew that. I thought it was common logic?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:02 pm 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

It's about as obvious as vegetable oil coming from vegetables, which is another thing lots of people seem to have trouble with.

A coworker asked me the other day if I could have salt. He also did not believe vegan popcorn was possible.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:34 pm 
Grandfathered In

Most people have no damn idea what they're putting in their faces. They really don't care. At all.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:40 pm 
WRETCHED

People definitely have strange ideas about food. I started going to a nutritionist when I was really young (12 or so) and so I learned about reading labels but I thought everyone knew. I've been surprised at how many people don't read the labels for the food they eat. I mean, you don't have to study it but at least look?

One of my favorite stories comes from a friend who told me that she was soliciting for low calorie recipes and someone sent her a peach cobbler recipe that included peach cobbler with heavy syrup and added sugar and I think a lot of butter. Anyway, my friend was confused but the person said "it has fruit in it, it has to be low calorie".

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:41 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

lepelaar wrote:
vijita wrote:
I've made dressings for tropical fruit salads, but they are really light. I made a tequila-lime juice dressing with cayenne once that was insanely amazing on mango and papaya.

I think I just had an orgasm.

That was my reaction! Like damn! That's some sexy fruit salad.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:21 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

FootFace wrote:
Most people have no damn idea what they're putting in their faces. They really don't care. At all.

and these seem to be the people who like to ramble on the most about what other people eat. like my MIL one day going on and on about wanting to raise turkeys to eat and how they only ate local meat from a farm they knew and it was grass fed and free of antibiotics. blah blah blah. this went on for a really long time about how amazing they eat. then she ate a sausage pizza from like Domino's or Pizza Hut or some such place.

and the last time we were there they made something with beef and the ground beef was the really cheap kind you buy at the supermarket and god knows where it came from, what is in it, or how the cows were treated (though i think i was the only one who cared about that even though i wasnt eating it)

kkkkkkkkkkkk

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:50 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

a friend's reply to my FB status today... "I would go black before soy."

what the fork??

“I did not become a vegetarian for my health, I did it for the health of the chickens.”

I blog @ Mama To Feingold Kids

Last edited by stuckunderhere on Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:51 am 
WRETCHED

Yeah, you see that a lot from Paleo people as well. "I only buy grass fed beef" blah blah blah and then they go to burger king.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:36 am 
Grandfathered In

Remember Footie's Law:

"Locavores aren't."

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:38 am 
Grandfathered In

stuckunderhere wrote:
a (former?) friend's reply to my FB status today... "I would go black before soy."

what the fork??

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:39 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Was your FB status about coffee?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:40 am 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

ijustdiedinside wrote:
Was your FB status about coffee?

Ooh, that would actually make sense! Let's hope so!

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:41 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Yeah... now that i think about it, maybe she was referring to black coffee and not people... i hope!

“I did not become a vegetarian for my health, I did it for the health of the chickens.”

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:59 am 
Grandfathered In

Oh. Of course. Not racist, just silly.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:03 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

and she just linked to soy crepe online about gmo's and other "health issues" about it...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:44 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

LisaPunk wrote:
FootFace wrote:

and these seem to be the people who like to ramble on the most about what other people eat. like my MIL one day going on and on about wanting to raise turkeys to eat and how they only ate local meat from a farm they knew and it was grass fed and free of antibiotics. blah blah blah. this went on for a really long time about how amazing they eat. then she ate a sausage pizza from like Domino's or Pizza Hut or some such place.

and the last time we were there they made something with beef and the ground beef was the really cheap kind you buy at the supermarket and god knows where it came from, what is in it, or how the cows were treated (though i think i was the only one who cared about that even though i wasnt eating it)

kkkkkkkkkkkk

I dated someone like this. He would go on and on about how he only ate locally raised, "ethically" slaughtered meat, etc. And I'd say "okay, but what about..." and then he'd get all pissy. Of course, I wouldn't bring it up, because who cares, but I think he always felt vaguely defensive about my being vegan. And, needless to say, it was not a good relationship.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:59 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

stuckunderhere wrote:
and she just linked to soy crepe online about gmo's and other "health issues" about it...

Please, please, please tell her that most of the GMO soy is used in animal feed. So if it's so bad for a human's body, what does she think it is doing in the cow or chicken's body? And what does it mean for her when she then eats that animal? Most of the rest of the GMO soy is used in processed foods. Very few soy products like tofu and soy milk are made with GMO soy, and if you're really concerned, you can buy organic since GMO crops cannot be labeled organic. She cannot do the same to avoid animals fed GMO feed.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:07 pm 
Semen Strong

People who are terrified of GMO crops and soy seem to be generally skeptical of science, so nothing you can tell them actually makes a difference in my experience.

Its all "OMG SOY BOOBS AND BREAST CANCER!" And if you point to research to the contrary its all "BIGPHARMA WANTS TO KILL YOU."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12656 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121 ... 507  Next