| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: "What kind of vegetarian are you?"
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:05 pm 
rowdily playing checkers

acr wrote:
it is a problem. it's a bigger problem if they know the difference than if they don't. if you describe yourself as a vegetarian--not mostly vegetarian or vegetarian at lunch or vegetarian except for tuesdays and weekends, but vegetarian--and then you say that you eat meat, you are trying to convince either yourself or others that "vegetarian" can be used to denote "eats some things that aren't meat."

I don't agree, for the reasons I pointed out above. Someone who says they regularly attend church when they almost never attend church is probably not trying to convince you that "regularly" can mean "rarely." They're just ignoring the inconvenient circumstances of their own lives that interfere with their own self image. I suspect something similar is going on with non-vegetarian vegetarians.

Quote:
whether it's the result of delusion or indifference, that constitutes an attempt to create a new definition of that word, and it's no good, because a word for "sort of vegetarian some of the time" has already been humpty dumptied, and people should take advantage of it. *snaps ruler*

Well, if you're talking about 'flexitarian', that word was coined, not Humptily Dumptied.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:06 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

this could cross very easily into the vegan pet peeves thread that vegans can get served fish and cheese for dinner because people muddy the meaning of the word. (cause fish and chese goes grrrrrreat together!)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:35 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

anyone know which survey they were talking about?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:58 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

mumbles wrote:
acr wrote:
whether it's the result of delusion or indifference, that constitutes an attempt to create a new definition of that word, and it's no good, because a word for "sort of vegetarian some of the time" has already been humpty dumptied, and people should take advantage of it. *snaps ruler*

Well, if you're talking about 'flexitarian', that word was coined, not Humptily Dumptied.

oh, did you mean that "flexitarian" doesn't mean "a nice knock-down argument"? i was thinking of it as a portmanteau.

your stance reflects more sympathy than i'm able to muster. people who want me to think they regularly attend church probably won't tell me that they never attend church. i don't think "vegetarian except" is necessarily the same, mostly because few non-vegetarian vegetarians care to hide their non-vegetarian habits (the ones i've known, at least). if they tell me they're vegetarian, they want me to think they're vegetarian. if they follow up by saying, "but i eat chicken and stuff, and sometimes hamburgers, if i'm out," they still want me to think they're vegetarian, but they are no longer trying to convince me that they are vegetarian in any way that i would understand. they keep using that word, but i will never think it means what they think it means. i doubt i'll ever really know what they think it means.

fee wrote:

i can't find it; the guardian article links to a 2002 time article as the source, but that time article just says "a survey." time conducted its own poll about this, but i don't think those numbers are from that survey.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:39 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I have a friend who is vegetarian except that she occasionally eats bacon (which, ew - I know they say bacon is the gateway meat, but I always hated it). She calls herself "baco-vegetarian," which I find hilarious in a good way.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:11 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

Fee wrote:
A good summary of such polls can unfortunately be found in this Psychology Today article by Hal Herzog, Why Are There So Few Vegetarians?
Quote:
The reason for the widespread but mistaken belief that America is rapidly going veg is the mismatch between what people say they eat and what they actually eat. Take a 2002 Times/CNN poll on the eating habits of 10,000 Americans. Six percent of the individuals surveyed said they considered themselves vegetarian. But when asked by the pollsters what they had eaten in the last 24 hours, 60% of the self-described "vegetarians" admitted that that had consumed red meat, poultry or fish the previous day. In another survey, the United States Department of Agriculture randomly telephoned 13,313 Americans. Three percent of the respondents answered yes to the question, "Do you consider yourself to be a vegetarian?" A week later the researchers called the participants again and this time asked what they had eaten the day before. The results were even more dramatic than the Times/CNN survey: this time 66% of the "vegetarians" had eaten animal flesh in the last 24 hours.
The reason I say unfortunately is because Herzog goes through the motions of attempting to objectively analyze vegetarianism, but doesn’t ever budge from the prevalent ideology of animal use.

With that said, his sources are accurate, he’s just comfortably nested in the cultural normative no matter how much he may agree with many of our claims.

So there is a direct link to the The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition - What do vegetarians in the United States eat?

The CNN/Time polling took place sometime around 2002 when Time ran a cover story by Richard Corliss, Should We All Be Vegetarians?.

Corliss references the poll:
Quote:
Some 10 million Americans today consider themselves to be practicing vegetarians, according to a Time poll of 10,000 adults.
But I haven’t located a direct link on where this poll data is first published.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:54 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Frivolous in the face of much more intelligent discussion... But what about fleagans? Parasitic insects only :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:56 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Do you think the people who say they are veg but ate meat the day before are really trying to be veg but having a hard time? That could somewhat explain the discrepancy - the day they take the survey is Day 1 of being veg?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:34 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

Tofulish wrote:
I'm going to have my 7 year veganiversary in March. It hasn't been as complicated for me as all these articles seem to indicate.
I' first went vegetarian at 15, and Im coming up on 6 years vegan, and this has been my experience as well; in fact, the only "challenges" I've faced have been the result of being someplace (restaurants, airports, the occasional professional or social event) where the concept of foodstuffs that don't include animal products is apparently completely foreign. As far as shopping, cooking, eating, drinking, clothing, etc. go, it's been perfectly easy.
Tofulish wrote:
Or course if you use the definitions in the article, I'm a lifelong vegan.
It makes me feel so much better to know that all those BLTs I ate as a child have retroactively made me even more vegan than I realized!

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:46 pm 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

Citizen Ritson wrote:
A good summary of such polls can unfortunately be found in this Psychology Today article by Hal Herzog, Why Are There So Few Vegetarians?
Quote:

Wow, that guy teaches at my college. Huh!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:44 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Dave the Cat wrote:
Do you think the people who say they are veg but ate meat the day before are really trying to be veg but having a hard time? That could somewhat explain the discrepancy - the day they take the survey is Day 1 of being veg?

Yeah, you'd have to do a study on the reasons self identified vegetarians may eat meat to really speculate why that number is so high. Could be that they're new, or struggling, or felt pressured, or didn't realize until it was too late (i.e. beef broth in otherwise vegetable soup) on top of the ever so annoying "I'm vegetarian, but I NEED to eat meat once a week" type.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:23 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i dunno i work with someone who broadcasts to everyone who will listen that she is vegetarian and has been for 5 years blah blah blah but regularly eats chicken in front of us.

i think some people just like to call themselves vegetarian and not actually follow the "rules"

when i was veg i ate fish occasionally but usually when people asked me i would say "im mainly vegetarian but i eat fish every once in a while" (mostly tuna sammiches ahahahha)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:38 am 
Semen Strong

Well, I guess those "vegetarians" are like those congressmen who call themselves "monogamous" and "straight"...

I also generally don't care about cheating in private - go ahead and call yourself a vegetarian and eat chicken and cheese pizza whatever at home, your commitment to veganism is your commitment and not mine to police. But when you do it in public, it makes things harder for those of us who then have to explain to a chef catering a huge event that they need to make you something to eat that doesn't have butter or fish in it, because you were promised a meal and you can't really just sit through a 3 hour event pushing non-vegan food across your plate and nibbling on dry rolls.

I will say that I generally describe Leela as being a vegan kiddo, but in group situations where people are throwing around a ton of NV food, I just can't police all the food she takes in. I limit myself to actually stopping her eating meat, and obvious cheese, but I can't always stop her eating baked goods or snacks with incidental dairy or egg.

And then I have to ask if its better for people to see her as a healthy, happy vegan kiddo than as a vegetarian. I have had so many people come to me and ask about raising vegan kids, and I think my advice helps them cut out a lot of animal products from their diets.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:12 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Desdemona wrote:
For instance, are you the kind who eats meat?

I know I should probably not let stuff like this make me crazy, but...IT MAKES ME CRAZY.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2013/jan/28/what-kind-of-vegetarian-are-you

+1

That article isn't nearly as infuriating as their recent article accusing vegans of starving people in Boliva because we are eating quinoa and driving up the price for peasants. Also, our love of soy, according to the Guardian, is deforesting South America. It is my understanding from friends in the UK that the Guardian borders on being a supermarket rag.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:12 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

"quinoa-filled-pepper" - that made me hungry!

am I the only one that thought that article was funny?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:38 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

No, I thought it was funny too.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:47 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I'm not one, but I love the term Pescetarian / Fish and Chippocrite.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:32 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I don`t get the logic of the asshat who insists that the word "vegetarian" can mean whatever he wants it to mean, and to hell with everyone else's definitions.

I wonder if he'd feel the same if he encountered a "doctor" who "needs" to "examine" his prostate?

Yay, and verily he said unto them, "Eat this nooch for it tastes kind of like cheese, and drink this kombucha for it is awesome. And don't be a vegan hating douche because no one likes an asshat." - DancesWithTofu

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:13 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

beforewisdom wrote:
It is my understanding from friends in the UK that the Guardian borders on being a supermarket rag.

Actually, the Guardian is probably the best quality left-wing mainstream broadsheet in the UK at the moment, but that doesn't stop it from publishing some pretty stupid shiitake from time to time.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:34 am 
Flounceiad 2011

Imogen wrote:
beforewisdom wrote:
It is my understanding from friends in the UK that the Guardian borders on being a supermarket rag.
Actually, the Guardian is probably the best quality left-wing mainstream broadsheet in the UK at the moment, but that doesn't stop it from publishing some pretty stupid shiitake from time to time.
This.

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com