| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Help me with my 15 minutes of fame
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:02 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

Friends!
My blog and I are going to be featured in a local news weekly, in their Spring Food & Wine Issue. It's super cool! I guess one of the editors is a vegan and happens to be a fan of my blog(!!!). So, she and a photographer are going to come over for lunch and an interview. She wants some pretty, colorful pictures, and hopefully a recipe. Our interview is on the 10th (Feb), but the article won't come out until late March. So, I think something spring-timey would be best.

If you read my blog, you'll know I'm a big lover of Persian New Year, so one idea I had would be to make some PNY foods... except that the 28th is after NoRooz... so technically the recipes would be a little late. I could also make some sort of tofu-leek-asparagus quiche. I'd like to offer a recipe that is yummy and appealing to the general population, seems approachable and appetizing...

I was also thinking something like Minestrone Soup, a nice salad of some sort, homemade bread, and cookies. But then, I'm not sure if I want to be making it look like vegans eat soup and salad all the time. Though, they are certainly colorful. Hm.

Any thoughts or input greatly appreciated!

Post subject: Re: Help me with my 15 minutes of fame
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:08 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Coooooooooooool! This is so exciting!

I'm for No Rooz, but I'm always for No Rooz... kind of exciting in a "look, vegans can eat food from all around the world!" kind of way.

This is Santa Cruz, but I do still wonder if a tofu-centric dish might make non-veg people leery.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:27 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

How cool!

Do you need to come up with an original recipe or could it be from a cookbook (or inspired by a cookbook recipe)?

I think a beautiful salad incorporating lot of spring veggies would be great for color! They even sell really pretty salad flowers at some grocery stores...maybe that's too girlie but it reminds me of spring!

But it would be nice to have something hot as well. I agree with C&S about the tofu...some people immediately turn up their noses at even the sight of tofu in a recipe, unfortunately! I know you're going to do cookies, but I also wanted to say that rhubarb is starting to come into season in April and there are some super pretty rhubarb desserts out there! I just saw a recipe for rhubarb fool that looks sooooo yummy :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:53 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

Yeah! The thing is, I need to actually MAKE the food in February... so I have to be able to find non-seasonal ingredients ahead of time... y'know.

I wondered about the tofu too. But then I wondered if the NoRooz recipes would be too weird for some people to try. But I do love Middle Eastern food so much, and it's so vegan friendly.

I think it would be easiest if I gave her an original recipe, but with enough advance planning I might be able to get permission from another cookbook author to share their recipe. I have a good KukuSabzi (herb+tofu omlette ) recipe that I could give her, or the Persian New Year soup which is full of veggies and noodles and such. But that soup is a BIG project, and probably more than most people would take on.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:39 pm 
Semen Strong

It all sounds wonderful! Your blog is so great and I'm excited to see the article!

Could you do a fesenjan inspired salad - pomegranate vinagrette and toasted walnuts? Mmmmm and a Kuku sounds good.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:11 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

Fesenjan salad! Great idea. You could even throw in some smokey soy curls, lettuce, toasted walnuts... half way between fattoush and fesenjan!
also, it could be colorful. I could even throw in some little pomegranate kernel thingees for a jeweled effect.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:22 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Yes! I love the fesenjan salad. My vote's also for Persian-inspired food.