| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10575 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124 ... 423  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:12 pm 
WELFARIST!

Tofulish wrote:
The Seitanic Bible by Anton NoWhey.

That is forking awesome.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:02 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Ugh. For one of my classes, we had to read a piece about the rhetoric of meat consumption. The piece was great, the class discussion was not. A lot of blanket statements about how vegetarians are pushy and how someone's cousin's-boyfriend's-sister's-mom is vegan and needs to take supplements and jokes about how veal is so terrible but gosh, it tastes so darn good!
So of course I opened my big mouth and said that I'm vegan and in pretty good health, because I was getting pretty frustrated not saying anything. And I feel like I shouldn't have, but if other people are giving personal anecdotes and vague, unsourced "facts" (athletes need meat!) then I figured it was fair game. But, blah. I need vegan-hugs.

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:26 pm 
Semen Strong

Fake science. http://renegadehealth.com/blog/2012/07/ ... -your-body

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:32 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

kilgore trout wrote:
Ugh. For one of my classes, we had to read a piece about the rhetoric of meat consumption. The piece was great, the class discussion was not. A lot of blanket statements about how vegetarians are pushy and how someone's cousin's-boyfriend's-sister's-mom is vegan and needs to take supplements and jokes about how veal is so terrible but gosh, it tastes so darn good!
So of course I opened my big mouth and said that I'm vegan and in pretty good health, because I was getting pretty frustrated not saying anything. And I feel like I shouldn't have, but if other people are giving personal anecdotes and vague, unsourced "facts" (athletes need meat!) then I figured it was fair game. But, blah. I need vegan-hugs.

That sucks. I'm curious what the article was though, because that sounds totally up my alley and I'd like to track it down and read it.

I've heard the "athletes need meat" argument so much lately, because we're trying to get the dining hall at my school to do meatless Mondays and the athletes have been complaining. Which is why we're getting a vegan body builder to speak.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:33 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

julialegume wrote:
The new bagel stand on campus that popped up doesn't know what tofutti is, never heard of it, can you get it at Freddy's? etc. Is it a vegan pet peeve that this person didn't google what people like on bagels! Or check out what other established bagel shops offer? I'm sick of the 'vegan' thing being 'bring your own condiments.'

Does this happen to be that Quick and Dirty place? (I think that's what it's called?) I keep meaning to check it out but now that I hear this, I might not bother.

And I am still so sad about Kettleman's that I almost cry whenever I think about it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:01 am 
Huffs Nooch

Does anyone else get really grossed out by the smell of fish? My boyfriend ordered fish tacos and it practically ruined my dinner. All I could smell was fish!! Of course I didn't say anything, because I never want to make people feel bad about what they're eating, but damn!!

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=24501886[url][/url]

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:34 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

For years I didn't have a problem with the smell of meat, but lately, it's been getting to me more and more.

I walked into my apartment a few months ago, and someone had cooked bacon that morning. OMG, I thought I was going to throw up. I opened up every window down stairs and turned on the vent. It was so gross. I'm really lucky that most of the time my roommates are way too lazy to actually cook for themselves, so I don't generally have to deal with meaty smells, but on the occasion they do....

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:40 am 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

SkullNBoneAppetit wrote:
Does anyone else get really grossed out by the smell of fish? My boyfriend ordered fish tacos and it practically ruined my dinner. All I could smell was fish!! Of course I didn't say anything, because I never want to make people feel bad about what they're eating, but damn!!

The one rule I have if living with omnis is no cooking fish. It's horrifying. The only thing worse is lobster. My old roomies (who were super considerate and would only cook fish if I was gone for the night and then burn candles, open windows and take out the trash) made lobster once and I was on the verge of vomiting for about three days!

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:23 am 

eatsbabies wrote:
kilgore trout wrote:

That sucks. I'm curious what the article was though, because that sounds totally up my alley and I'd like to track it down and read it.

I've heard the "athletes need meat" argument so much lately, because we're trying to get the dining hall at my school to do meatless Mondays and the athletes have been complaining. Which is why we're getting a vegan body builder to speak.

It's called "Getting down to the meat: The symbolic construction of meat consumption," by Bettina Heinz and Ronald Lee.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:27 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

last night my husband and i went out for sushi. it was pretty busy so we had to wait awhile for our food. FINALLY they brought out of food and i was about to start shoving delicious avocado rolls into my face when they brought out the table directly next to me's food.
i dont know what this woman got as my knowledge of Japanese food is limited but it sounded like when people get fajitas at a Mexican restaurant and they bring it out steaming hot and everything is sizzling really loud. it was some sort of chicken. normally meat smells dont really bother me that much but this was like overwhelming smell of overcooked chicken and i was like "omg im going to vomit. im going to vomit everywhere" im not even sure she may have heard me (not my intention i wasnt trying to be rude or snotty but DAMN i was about to puke)
i had to like wait a couple minutes before i could start eating my food cause i really thought i was going to barf on chicken smell

It's just funny to think that we could go through years of this, become the president of the damn country, and still, we'd be eating pasta with veggies at every. damn. function.~~Joyfulgirl

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:45 pm 
Semen Strong

Meat just always smells like catfood to me. Ewwwww!

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:02 pm 
ugh

Tofulish wrote:
Meat just always smells like catfood to me. Ewwwww!

That reminds me of the time my fiance and I went to visit a friend in her new apartment with her new boyfriend. As soon as we walked in, fiance says, "Oh, do you have a cat?" Friend: "No." Fiance: "Oh, I thought I had smelled cat food." Turns out her boyfriend was cooking some chicken thing in a slow cooker... oh my god, I was so conflicted between feeling horribly embarrassed and finding it hysterical.

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:50 pm 

Simply_Love wrote:
For years I didn't have a problem with the smell of meat, but lately, it's been getting to me more and more.

I walked into my apartment a few months ago, and someone had cooked bacon that morning. OMG, I thought I was going to throw up. I opened up every window down stairs and turned on the vent. It was so gross. I'm really lucky that most of the time my roommates are way too lazy to actually cook for themselves, so I don't generally have to deal with meaty smells, but on the occasion they do....

My bedroom window is directly above the windows to the kitchen. Whenever someone is making bacon and eggs for breakfast during the warmer months.....ew.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:02 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

My local supermarket has stopped selling Linda McCartneys stuff. I didn't eat it a lot but it was the only vegan stuff (bar milk/yoghurt) they sold. Now it's bloody Quorn or nothing.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:48 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

There's a popular sandwich place whose kitchen backs on to the final part of my walk to work, and I guess they often cook up massive batches of bacon and sausages for the sandwiches right when I'm walking to work so I get to inhale that on the final leg of my journey. There's something I find incredibly rank about the scent and think I would even if I didn't know what it was. Sometimes I try not to breath for that stretch of the walk and then I arrive at work looking really breathless and unfit!

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:42 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

I've got a new pet peeve inspired by The Great Milkshake Fight of 2013.

When you're like all vegan in a place with no vegan restaurants or anything so you do something nice like go to the store and buy vegan ice cream and hazelnut milk and make yourself a milkshake and then your omni boyfriend sees it and demands half because like...he shares his potato chips with you and you're like well yeah but we can get potato chips anywhere and you can get a milkshake next to anywhere and I made the damn thing because I wanted the whole goddamn thing, not because I wanted half. And then you have an hour long silent treatment over it, but sorry not sorry.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:44 pm 
Chard Martyr

haha! fee, i totally get it. Sometimes I bake something and then friends come over who aren't vegan and I hide it because I don't want to have to share my special vegan treat with people who can just go to the store and get all the freaking snacks they want. I dont want to be a vegan advocate all the time. I just want to eat my justin's pb cups and you can go and get yourselves some reeses!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:56 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

I feel the same way, if it's something I have to order or it's pricey, it's mine. I will share with Brian or I might let you try a taste, but...mine. Or for example, my father-in-law was using my EB. Totally fine! But then he used the last of it and went to a store that sells EB and bought Country Crock instead. Or I bought four of the new Silk almond milk yogurts and he ate two of them, and even if he was going to replace them for me, I got them from the health food store where he never goes. And he's retired so it's not like he can't go to the store that's a five minute drive away and get some yogurt if he's jonesing (or he could tell me to get him some and I totally would).

Oh, that reminds me: one time he did tell me to get more of the Rudi's oat bread because he likes it and 'it's not like you use bread anyway'. I didn't ask but i'm pretty sure the theory was vegan = don't eat sandwiches because sandwiches = meat. I guess?

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:43 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

i get so excited when people who can eat anything want my vegan stuff. it feels like winning. when my parents were here in december, my mom asked me to take them to chinatown so she could stock up on condiments, and i made a side-trip to may wah so i could stock up on junk food. i cooked some of the citrus spare ribs when we got back, and my dad said they were awesome and asked whether they were something he could get back home because he thought they'd make a good superbowl snack. i thought that was the greatest thing ever, because my dad was really weirdly bothered by the whole vegan thing for a long time. i told him that whole foods sells a version of them, but i totally tried to send him home with one of the bags i had bought, because OMG DAD WANTS THE VEGAN.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:00 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Yeah, but i'm not talking about someone trying something and then going on to buy it for themselves because they like it, i'm talking about someone just going "Oh, since yours is here i'll use it and then not even replace it/replace it with something non-vegan." Also if it was something innocuous like tortilla chips or anything accidentally vegan, I wouldn't care (unless I bought a new bag/box and they ate all of it). My father-in-law tried one of my So Delicious ice cream sandwiches and didn't like it, eating one is fine or telling me 'I like this please buy extras' is fine, but if he did like them and just forking ate them all without a word and then i'd go to get one and come up empty and have a case of the sads, i'd be really annoyed.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:03 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

It's totally different with people I rarely see or am providing food for a special occasion, but for someone I regularly hang around and has no weird attitude towards vegan food and just likes good tasting things and doesn't care what's in it? Tough titty, you're not just entitled to food you'll never replace.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:04 pm 
Chard Martyr

yeah, most of the time I love sharing, but say I found vegan gummy bears and my friends wanted to share, i'd be annoyed because they're hard to find and it wouldn't make them want to seek out vegan gummy bears. Especially because most people I know have tried food I've cooked and know vegan stuff can be good, but they aren't going to be vegan ever.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:18 pm 
And you never will.

I have the exact same problem. My husband went back to omni a couple of years ago after vegan for two years. He still uses soy milk and stuff, which I think is great, but he also eats lunch meat and cheese and other gross things. We're on a really tight budget, and he kept eating the $1.50 soy yogurts I was buying for poopiebaby and I was like "can't you just buy some forking Yoplait or something?" Gah.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:20 pm 
WELFARIST!

I share the same feelings about my vegan food with the rest of you.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:48 pm 
Semen Strong

Fee wrote:
vegan ice cream and hazelnut milk .

Yum. Vegan pet awesome.

Reply to topic  [ 10575 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124 ... 423  Next