| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Vegan Food Gifts
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:25 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

I got this from my library and it is lovely. I may end up buying it because I'm not up for making much right now but the ideas inside are great.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:47 pm 
WELFARIST!

I actually really love this book! I used it for all of my Christmas presents this year. I loved the tutorials on making my own packaging (I happened to have a ton of craft paper and double stick tape around, so it saved me buying lots of containers). Everything turned out really cute, and people loved their gifts!

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:18 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Just got the Ebook last week. After some online ordering I just made my first mixes - a couple batches of the unchik'n soup with lentils and pasta. The bags look so cute lined up in my pantry! I thought I'd try to make a bunch of the mixes for myself, do-ahead meals and treats are nice to have onhand with the little vegan around. I thought I might try to do the homemade marg mix and salt for some surprise halfway night or cinco de mayo baskets for our wardroom ladies.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 3:08 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

I bought this book last year to prepare for a Christmas season were I was broke. I love the book, there are so many ideas. Of course, for me for the holidays it is hard to prepare food to gift (see I'm a foreign student so I am not at home for the holidays) but for birthday during the year, it's a great idea.

Last holidays, I made the chocolate chips pancake mix (and the cookies in a jar from the PPK). I loved the pancakes, my roommate said her family thought there was too much chocolate, but they were the only ones to complain. And seriously, how can there be too much chocolate??? One of my friends made it and thought that there was not enough milk, I tried to make it later at home and I kind of agree. I will up the soy milk a bit, because it was very very thick. The taste is great though!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:52 am 
Not NOT A Furry

joni wrote:
Freetahtah wrote:
joni wrote:
Other than the oils, I have the acidity levels/safety info for the foods you have in question...if you would like specifics I can get them for you...

Oh, I don't need the specifics. I feel a lot better just knowing that they exist! Haha. I'm new to canning and am really paranoid about everything, even though I probably shouldn't be.

When it comes to things like the red wine hot fudge sauce, do you know if the shelf life will be shorter due to the fat content? I'm not sure how quickly fats go rancid in canned things, but I think lemon curd is suggested to last only a few months instead of the usual year for other preserved things (even though I know in actuality things usually are fine for much longer)... but then again, this has quite a bit of alcohol in it so I'm not sure if that would extend things much or not. I just wanted to be able to give people a head's up that they shouldn't just let things sit in the pantry forever before enjoying.

For the Red Wine Hot Fudge Sauce, it should be shelf stable for 2 to 3 months. Once opened it needs to be refrigerated.

Some of the jarring chapter's recipes look risky to me too from what I know about canning. I would very much like to know exactly which recipes from the jarring chapter are shelf-stable for less than the standard period of one year, and how long they are shelf-stable.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:58 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

has anyone made the doggie treats from the book?

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:00 am 
WELFARIST!

bookwormbethie wrote:

I did! All of my friends' dogs gobbled them up! My own dog, though, wouldn't touch them. But he never would eat anything that didn't reek of meat. My guy (who wasn't my guy when I made them, but I still gave him some to give to Mike the Dog) said they gave his pup wicked gross gas, though. Just...FYI.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:29 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

allularpunk wrote:
bookwormbethie wrote:

I did! All of my friends' dogs gobbled them up! My own dog, though, wouldn't touch them. But he never would eat anything that didn't reek of meat. My guy (who wasn't my guy when I made them, but I still gave him some to give to Mike the Dog) said they gave his pup wicked gross gas, though. Just...FYI.

i wonder if it was all the herbs in the treats that led to the gas? i was planning on leaving that out and maybe adding in something else? maybe dried fruit?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:41 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

The packaging chapter truly is great.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:09 pm 
WELFARIST!

Minatomachi wrote:
The packaging chapter truly is great.

Seriously. I made all of my own packaging from super awesome craft paper for my xmas gifts. So many boxes! I left the windows out of the square boxes (because...meh, extra supplies), and they were still super charming.

bookwormbethie wrote:
allularpunk wrote:
bookwormbethie wrote:

i wonder if it was all the herbs in the treats that led to the gas? i was planning on leaving that out and maybe adding in something else? maybe dried fruit?

I don't know...none of my other friends reported the gas. The herbs are supposed to freshen breath! Do dogs like sweet things? I would imagine that dried fruit would make them pretty sweet.

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:27 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

my dog loves watermelon, apples, and blueberries and carrots, broccoli, rutabaga, squash, oh the list goes on and on ;)

i was thinking of maybe adding dried applies or blueberries to the treats. he has store-bought organic pumpkin apple dog treats that he really likes.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:53 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

People on a canning forum who are more expert than I confirmed to me that some canning recipes from the book are very unlikely to be safe (pesto for instance needs to be canned using the pressure method, not the boiling water method). So now I don't dare to use the recipes from that chapter. :( But the rest of the book is still nice.